What's your Bevins Number?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: What's your Bevins Number?

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jack Worsley wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:26 pm There appears to be a problem with duplicate names too. For example, David Barnard's route is given as:

David Barnard...
played Ian Williams in Series 67...
... who played Simon Cartwright in Series 46...
... who played Ben Wilson in the quarter-finals of Series 46...
... who played Conor Travers in the preliminary round of the 30th Birthday Championship...
... who played Kirk Bevins in the quarter-finals of the 30th Birthday Championship.

However, the Ian Williams who David played in his sixth game is not the same Ian Williams from Series 46, according to the wiki.

Great job getting this updated, though.
This should be fixed now.

When I run the script to fetch data from the wiki, the database uses a player's page title to tell the difference between players of the same name. Some of the stuff in the database dates back to when I first extracted the information from an XML dump of the wiki in October 2012, and at the time there was only one Ian Williams, whose page title was, predictably, "Ian Williams". Since then another Ian Williams was added with the page title "Ian Williams (Series 67)". This shouldn't have mattered because they're still different page titles, but there must have been some problem with how I added the games for series 67 which meant it thought this Ian Williams was the same as the one as in series 46.

According to the wiki history, there was only a four-minute window of time during which the link on the Series 67 page linked to the wrong Ian Williams, but I highly doubt this is the cause of it - putting aside the sheer improbability of my happening to fetch the wiki page for the database in those four minutes, I'd usually only do it at the end of a series anyway. Most likely there was some bug in whatever process I used at the time which only affected that series, because other players sharing the same name seem to have been correctly identified as separate players.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

How does it decide which path to show if there are two (or more) paths of an equal length?

For instance, Kate Ogilvie's "official" path goes via Richard Saldanha, Ross McKenzie, Chris Davies, then Kirk Bevins. Another path of that length would be the same root as Scott Mearns: (Mearns), Terry Knowles, John Ashmore, Kirk Bevins.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:00 am How does it decide which path to show if there are two (or more) paths of an equal length?

For instance, Kate Ogilvie's "official" path goes via Richard Saldanha, Ross McKenzie, Chris Davies, then Kirk Bevins. Another path of that length would be the same root as Scott Mearns: (Mearns), Terry Knowles, John Ashmore, Kirk Bevins.
I think it's just arbitrary database whim. All the routes are precomputed though, so every time you use the webpage it'll come up with the same result.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I've just had another play with this and there's now two new "islands" of Luke Johnson-Davies and Robin Johnson. Fascinating.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Paul Anderson has a Bevins number of 8.

Paul Anderson...

played Ewen Alexander in Series 81...
... who played Robert Houston in Series 21...
... who played Jackie McLeod in Series 21...
... who played Barry Grossman in the final of Series 21...
... who played Darryl Francis in the first round of the 30th Birthday Championship...
... who played Jon O'Neill in the second round of the 30th Birthday Championship...
... who played Conor Travers in the semi-finals of the 30th Birthday Championship...
... who played Kirk Bevins in the quarter-finals of the 30th Birthday Championship.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: What's your Bovans Number?

Post by Ian Volante »

Bump for reference after some ZD chat earlier.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles