FAO Charlie/Damian/Kate/Lara

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

FAO Charlie/Damian/Kate/Lara

Post by Jon Corby »

Carol expressed surprise yesterday during the introduction that you ran a Countdown website (or 3), but I'm assuming this was faked for effect, and also that you must have chatted about it - Des/Carol/Susie must browse this place surely?

(If so, what does Carol think of my avatar? :))
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Re: FAO Charlie/Damian/Kate/Lara

Post by Stewart Gordon »

What surprised me is that Charlie was allowed to advertise this site on the programme. When Mike Brown was on, it was said that he runs a Countdown website, but the URL wasn't given. And I mentioned my numbers game solver on my application form, but this information was completely censored out for some unknown reason.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby wrote:Carol expressed surprise yesterday during the introduction that you ran a Countdown website (or 3), but I'm assuming this was faked for effect, and also that you must have chatted about it - Des/Carol/Susie must browse this place surely?

(If so, what does Carol think of my avatar? :))

Doubt very much that Carol/Des/Susie browse this place at all. Its never been mentioned by any of them.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

(Cue Richard Brittain to make a fake Carol Vorderman user account)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Stewart Gordon wrote:What surprised me is that Charlie was allowed to advertise this site on the programme. When Mike Brown was on, it was said that he runs a Countdown website, but the URL wasn't given. And I mentioned my numbers game solver on my application form, but this information was completely censored out for some unknown reason.
I think C4's attitude to these things may have changed fairly recently. Or Damian just doesn't like me... :cry:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:Doubt very much that Carol/Des/Susie browse this place at all. Its never been mentioned by any of them.
Oh. I do find that surprising. If somebody told me about a huge site about the place where I worked, with loads of people discussing it, I'd look at it. Oh well, shows what I know.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Damian E wrote:Doubt very much that Carol/Des/Susie browse this place at all. Its never been mentioned by any of them.
Oh. I do find that surprising. If somebody told me about a huge site about the place where I worked, with loads of people discussing it, I'd look at it. Oh well, shows what I know.
They might not be internet geeks.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

If I was Susie, I would regard any contestant and any c4c member with nothing but sincere contempt.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

But now we know that they know about it, who knows?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's an official forum!

Therefore, I am not surprised.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

It's not official, Jason. It's Charlie Reams' baby and not officially endorsed by C4, YTV, or the programme makers of Countdown.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I don't see any other Countdown forum though, David.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

There have been a few. Regardless though it still doesn't make it official.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

David, where can you find these forums?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Mike Brown wrote:
Stewart Gordon wrote:What surprised me is that Charlie was allowed to advertise this site on the programme. When Mike Brown was on, it was said that he runs a Countdown website, but the URL wasn't given. And I mentioned my numbers game solver on my application form, but this information was completely censored out for some unknown reason.
I think C4's attitude to these things may have changed fairly recently. Or Damian just doesn't like me... :cry:

Would that be the same Damian who went to the trouble of inviting you to Carol's last show, the after-party and got you tickets for the QF's and SF's of this series, Mike? Hmmm. You can tell i don't like you. Cheeky sausage. :roll:

C4's attitude probably hasn't changed, but mine certainly has. We plugged Charlies site because it was far too good an opportunity to pass up. If we want the show to thrive, then the likes of Ben Pugh and other up and coming starlets are only going to benefit by learning of places like apterous.org.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Damian E wrote:Would that be the same Damian who went to the trouble of inviting you to Carol's last show, the after-party and got you tickets for the QF's and SF's of this series, Mike? Hmmm. You can tell i don't like you. Cheeky sausage. :roll:
When was Carol's last game recorded?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought it was supposed to be next week, Joseph!

In December, there will be an extended episode of Countdown and it will be Des and Carol's last show.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Damian E wrote: Would that be the same Damian who went to the trouble of inviting you to Carol's last show, the after-party and got you tickets for the QF's and SF's of this series, Mike? Hmmm. You can tell i don't like you. Cheeky sausage. :roll:

OK, I feel suitably embarrassed now! Sorry if I've overstepped the mark in my cheekiness, Damian, certainly no offence was meant, although I expect you know that. I was very grateful for all the plugs my site got when I was on the show, URL or no URL, and it's great to see Charlie getting all the publicity now.
Damian E wrote: C4's attitude probably hasn't changed, but mine certainly has. We plugged Charlies site because it was far too good an opportunity to pass up. If we want the show to thrive, then the likes of Ben Pugh and other up and coming starlets are only going to benefit by learning of places like apterous.org.
Indeed, and I hope no one in high places gets upset by its (coincidental) similarities to the game of Countdown.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Damian E wrote: Would that be the same Damian who went to the trouble of inviting you to Carol's last show, the after-party and got you tickets for the QF's and SF's of this series, Mike? Hmmm. You can tell i don't like you. Cheeky sausage. :roll:
Although Mike has for 25 years spent a huge portion of his free time first archiving Countdown results and then running a site which, until very recently, was the primary source for Countdown information and promotion on the internet, and which is/was extensively used as a research tool by the production team themselves... the phrase "the least you could do" springs to mind...

Yikes that was scary... don't kill me Damian, I just think you're a bit harsh towards Mike sometimes, given everything he's done for the show, and that he's always so careful never to say a bad word about anyone involved with it. I don't think Mike was even cheeky at all here, let alone 'overstepping the mark' - I don't see why he should be made to feel like he has to apologize.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Not quite sure what to say to that, Julian.

You sometimes feel i (meaning me personally) am a bit harsh towards Mike?

I genuinely don't know where you are coming from. Do you have any examples? I

I don't believe the countdownpage was 'extensively' used a research tool by the production team, either. Sure, we've had a look to see how many eps a certain guests has made etc, but not extensively. All the information Mike has on his site is available to the production team, but sometimes its far quicker to find it via Mike's site. I browse it about 10 times a year at the most. Still, that's not really why i am replying. Mike's site is unquestionably a terrific piece of work and one that we are very proud to be associated with. I don;'t recall ever suggesting anything to the contrary.

I don't feel while Mike has to apologize for anything either. I presumed / hoped his "Damian doesn't like me" comment was just a joke, and i am pretty sure it was. Mike should have no reason to believe i don't like him. I think he's been treated very well by Countdown over the years and i don't quite get where you are coming from, Julian.

To clear up something also, we DID leave in references to Mike Browns site in the initial recordings, but were not allowed to give out the actual web address because C4 were edgy about breaking regulations. Since then, things have become far more relaxed re website promotions and virtually every show does it somewhere now. Its not a question of favouritism towards Charlie or negativity towards Mike, its a change of attitude within the industry and a more open-minded train of thought about the whole web thing.

Hope this clarifies thing, Julian. You seem to be defensive / rattled by something that really isn't there.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

OK, I feel suitably embarrassed now! Sorry if I've overstepped the mark in my cheekiness, Damian, certainly no offence was meant, although I expect you know that. I was very grateful for all the plugs my site got when I was on the show, URL or no URL, and it's great to see Charlie getting all the publicity now

None taken, Mike. None at all. I was being tongue-in-cheek also. I have no reason to doubt you are actually in love with me both physically and emotionally. I really don't blame you. Maybe Julian is getting a trifle jealous. :mrgreen:
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Damian E wrote:I have no reason to doubt you are actually in love with me both physically and emotionally.
Sorry Damian, you must be confusing yourself with Susie! :)

Thanks for the reply anyway, and thank you to Julian for his defence. I must admit I can't really think of any occasion in the past where you've treated me harshly; I expect if anyone could be bothered to trawl through several thousand posts there would probably be a few bits of cheeky banter back and forth between us: that's both the joy and danger of these public forums.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Damian E wrote:Maybe Julian is getting a trifle jealous. :mrgreen:
Yeah definitely ;)

All it is Damian is that a couple of times now you've made (what looked like) sharp replies to extremely innocuous posts by Mike, which I thought were uncalled for given everything Mike's done for the show. If I were Mike I would've felt hard done by in those cases, but Mike's obviously happy so that's the main thing. Although I do think Mike's sometimes too ready too apologize when he's done nothing wrong, like in this thread for example.

If anyone involved in Countdown over the past 25 years deserves an invite to Carol's last shows and leaving do, Mike does. I'm glad you invited him Damian, but I thought your post almost made it sound like a special favour which Mike didn't deserve, and I took exception to that.

If I've made a mountain out of a molehill, sorry. But at least it's led to Mike's getting more recognition, so some good has come out of it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julian Fell wrote:If I've made a mountain out of a molehill, sorry. But at least it's led to Mike's getting more recognition, so some good has come out of it.
Mike who?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Julian Fell wrote:If I've made a mountain out of a molehill, sorry. But at least it's led to Mike's getting more recognition, so some good has come out of it.
This is getting embarrassing! Maybe we could draw a line under this now (after I've shot Corby) and the next time I see you, Julian, I'll buy you a pint!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Man, I want some of this pint action. Mike is a great guy! I'm sure he'll be getting that man's body real soon now.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:Man, I want some of this pint action. Mike is a great guy! I'm sure he'll be getting that man's body real soon now.
What's that, Charlie, you're saying I haven't already? :lol: Great game today, by the way. Very enjoyable to watch. Hopefully see you later this week; maybe I'll even be able to get you that pint...
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Julian Fell wrote:
Yeah definitely ;)

All it is Damian is that a couple of times now you've made (what looked like) sharp replies to extremely innocuous posts by Mike, which I thought were uncalled for given everything Mike's done for the show. If I were Mike I would've felt hard done by in those cases, but Mike's obviously happy so that's the main thing. Although I do think Mike's sometimes too ready too apologize when he's done nothing wrong, like in this thread for example.

If anyone involved in Countdown over the past 25 years deserves an invite to Carol's last shows and leaving do, Mike does. I'm glad you invited him Damian, but I thought your post almost made it sound like a special favour which Mike didn't deserve, and I took exception to that.

If I've made a mountain out of a molehill, sorry. But at least it's led to Mike's getting more recognition, so some good has come out of it.

Maybe we should draw a line underneath this, but i can't help but feel i need to have another bite at clarification.

I've absolutely no idea what you are referring to Julian, in terms of me biting at Mike. I just don't understand where you are coming from. Mike is saying there is no problem, i am saying there is no problem, but you've chosen not to believe me and have chosen to claim that Mike is apologizing when he's done nothing wrong. Mike jokingly implied that perhaps i didn't like him, i jokingly replied calling him a cheeky sausage (hardly one of the more irate terms to use eh?) and said if i didn't like him, i wouldn't have gone out of my way to get tickets for forthcoming shows etc. You are now saying i made that sound like a special favour. I obviously can't win with this. Maybe it's just me, but i can't help feeling i'm not the only person reading all this who is struggling to recognise your agenda. Don't you think you're coming across as just a little bit silly?

PS - just to clarify further, i didn't personally invite MB to Carol's last show. CAROL herself asked me to invite him. I just wanted to get that out of the way before others start questioning why MB has been given favouritism etc. I've had a look back for any sharp reply to MB from myself Julian, all i can find is one where Mike said he was underwhelmed at the summer repeats, to which i replied, "lovely". Sharp, hmm, not really, I can't imagine him scrambling for the leather gauntlets to prevent lacerations to the hands.

PPS - just pinching myself and asking why i'm even bothering to get involved in this.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:
Yeah definitely ;)

Maybe we should draw a line underneath this, but i can't help but feel i need to have another bite at clarification.

I've absolutely no idea what you are referring to Julian, in terms of me biting at Mike. I just don't understand where you are coming from. Mike is saying there is no problem, i am saying there is no problem, but you've chosen not to believe me and have chosen to claim that Mike is apologizing when he's done nothing wrong. Mike jokingly implied that perhaps i didn't like him, i jokingly replied calling him a cheeky sausage (hardly one of the more irate terms to use eh?) and said if i didn't like him, i wouldn't have gone out of my way to get tickets for forthcoming shows etc. You are now saying i made that sound like a special favour. I obviously can't win with this. Maybe it's just me, but i can't help feeling i'm not the only person reading all this who is struggling to recognise your agenda. Don't you think you're coming across as just a little bit silly?

PS - just to clarify further, i didn't personally invite MB to Carol's last show. CAROL herself asked me to invite him. I just wanted to get that out of the way before others start questioning why MB has been given favouritism etc. I've had a look back for any sharp reply to MB from myself Julian, all i can find is one where Mike said he was underwhelmed at the summer repeats, to which i replied, "lovely". Sharp, hmm, not really, I can't imagine him scrambling for the leather gauntlets to prevent lacerations to the hands.

PPS - just pinching myself and asking why i'm even bothering to get involved in this.
I think this should stop now before it gets out of hand. We just need to accept that not everybody gets along with everybody else and that's the way it is. I'm sure Damian has his reasons for not liking Mike (I know I do), but that doesn't mean they need to be aired publicly here.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
I think this should stop now before it gets out of hand. We just need to accept that not everybody gets along with everybody else and that's the way it is. I'm sure Damian has his reasons for not liking Mike (I know I do), but that doesn't mean they need to be aired publicly here.
Jon, you are such a wind up merchant. I also do not see Julian's problem - Damian's message was light hearted, and I see no hard feelings anywhere. Hmmm, I'm also confused, Julian.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Jon, you are such a wind up merchant. I also do not see Julian's problem - Damian's message was light hearted, and I see no hard feelings anywhere. Hmmm, I'm also confused, Julian.
Well, to be fair, Mike did post
OK, I feel suitably embarrassed now! Sorry if I've overstepped the mark in my cheekiness, Damian, certainly no offence was meant
so he must have felt something but Julian just felt it a bit more.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Why doesn't C4C have an emoticon for yawn?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My name is Zefeniah P. Thompson, and I'm suing you all for the most boring thread ever on c4c.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Mike Brown wrote:Why doesn't C4C have an emoticon for yawn?
Well you could improvise:

:O (although that maybe just looks like you're about to eat something)

-.- or -_- are sort of tired-ish emoticons

maybe we should have a 'what's your favourite emoticon?' thread (might be more interesting...)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
maybe we should have a 'what's your favourite emoticon?' thread (might be more interesting...)
I would have to gouge out my eye with a rusty spoon if a thread like this were to start, so please don't.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
I would have to gouge out my eye with a rusty spoon if a thread like this were to start, so please don't.
T_T

(by the way, the emoticon for "I've just gouged my eye out with a rusty spoon" would probably be x.<)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

< YAWN : - )

Man wearing a hat with yawn written on it. I think this does the trick.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:< YAWN : - )

Man wearing a hat with yawn written on it. I think this does the trick.
I like it, think it needs a pipe though:

< YAWN | : - )

Although mabye that just looks like a bored guy with a monobrow, hmm...
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Just to say sorry if I baffled / bored everyone, I thought I had a valid point but Damian and Mike both say I misinterpreted, so fair enough, I accept that. Sorry guys... "aww big hug" as Jono would say