Ask Graeme?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Ask Graeme?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:We know that (notwithstanding Nick's remarks) several games are recorded in a day.

Eileen didn't seem to be her usual self yesterday - would that have been at the end of a long day for her?
Is there any evidence on how other multiple winners have fared at the end of a whole day recording?
Well no, because the end of the day was Wednesday's show, so it was only the 2nd game of the day was yesterday's show, and she seemed pretty competent on Thursday's show, but maybe it's just all those shows that have started to take their toll............ :roll:
I think normally Monday to Friday is one recording day, which is why a DC guest is normally on from Monday to Friday, but that's not the case right now. Basically, if you want to go through old records, the best way to work out where in a recording day a game is, look at how many games the guest has done.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Apologies if I'm asking too many questions, and sincere thanks for answering my earlier ones, but...

What is the most frequent max score for a 15-round game, and would it be possible to make a graph featuring number of games vs. max score?
The most frequent max in all "Old 15" games is 119, which occurred in 213 games out of 2596.

Frequencies of maxes:

Cumulative frequency (percentile):
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Neil Collins wrote:More of a trivia question than a stats question...

What is it that makes me unique amongst all Countdown contestants?
Played two matches and was never in front?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Graeme Cole wrote:

Sorry to sound really thick (really), but I don't understand this graph?

#layplease
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Dave Preece wrote:

#layplease
The graph shows the percentage of games that had equal to or below a particular maximum score. So it can be seen that 50% of games had a maximum of 125 points or below.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Chris Davies wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:

#layplease
The graph shows the percentage of games that had equal to or below a particular maximum score. So it can be seen that 50% of games had a maximum of 125 points or below.
H, thanks Chris, apre iate that (was expecting some 'clever' comments), cheers ;-)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Dave Preece wrote:#layplease
I think your chances will be better on pof.com or match.com than on here mate 8-)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Dave Preece wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

#layplease
Did you ever take O-Level/GCSE Maths? Simple cumulative frequency graph.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Andy Platt wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:#layplease
I think your chances will be better on pof.com or match.com than on here mate 8-)
LOL

;-)

Like your sense of humour Andy!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

#layplease
I did GCSE maths yeh, I only got a 'D' from middle band! I was told this was more or less max (I imagine 'C' was 100%), but have learnt far more about maths in the 23 years since, but not including this type of graph...

One thing I didn't ever have to learn, however, was to have the BALLS to ask when I didn't get something, sonny!!!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dave Preece wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Did you ever take O-Level/GCSE Maths? Simple cumulative frequency graph.
I did GCSE maths yeh, I only got a 'D' from middle band! I was told this was more or less max (I imagine 'C' was 100%), but have learnt far more about maths in the 23 years since, but not including this type of graph...

One thing I didn't ever have to learn, however, was to have the BALLS to ask when I didn't get something, sonny!!!
You shouldn't have felt obliged to reply to that comment from such an ill-mannered and obnoxious child.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

LOL!!!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Apologies if I'm asking too many questions, and sincere thanks for answering my earlier ones, but...

What is the most frequent max score for a 15-round game, and would it be possible to make a graph featuring number of games vs. max score?
The most frequent max in all "Old 15" games is 119, which occurred in 213 games out of 2596.

Frequencies of maxes:

Graham, would he first graph look much more 'bell curve' shaped if the 9's scored 9 points instead of 18?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Good question, is it possible to apply flat scoring to the database?

I wouldn't mind seeing Dave's hypothetical bell.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Platt wrote:Good question, is it possible to apply flat scoring to the database?

I reckon a bell with a little dip for impossible numbers or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing the graph for maxes-only scoring.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:

It may be easy for you to recognise, Rhys, because you've studied these in the last year or so. Try going 20-odd years without seeing one and it won't come to you so easily. By the time you're Daves age, unless you find work in an field where a good knowledge of maths is useful, the odds are that you'll have forgotten at least half the maths you learn over the next three years.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Good question, is it possible to apply flat scoring to the database?

I reckon a bell with a little dip for impossible numbers or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing the graph for maxes-only scoring.
Stepdown too.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Is it bad that i felt a little aroused [joking], after reading that?

;-)
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Hi, so is it ok to ask a question about a certain contestant here? This has been bugging me for weeks now!!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Philip Wilson wrote:Hi, so is it ok to ask a question about a certain contestant here? This has been bugging me for weeks now!!
Don't see why not.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Ok, well a few weeks ago while the closing credits were rolling I spotted the two contestants were chatting to each other, which seemed rather good and a change from sitting there which can appear a bit 'awkward'. Anyway that's just my view, but it reminded me of a contestant a few years ago who used to do it every time. So therefore being new here I just tried to investigate further and try and find this contestant's name in the lists, as I have no idea who he was now, but was just interested in when it was etc, human nature stuff I guess.
Well I thought it would be really easy to find him in the list of shows but I just can't and I wondered if you know who it was!

I know he won several times, probably made it to an octochamp and he definitely came back for that series' finals, which makes it all the stranger that I can't find any info. I think he was on during Des O's or the beginning of Jeff's time, but not totally sure about that, but he didn't come back for the CofC in January. Oh and if it's any help he looked a bit like Shane Long [footballer] and was a Fulham fan!
Who was he!?!?!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Philip Wilson wrote:Ok, well a few weeks ago while the closing credits were rolling I spotted the two contestants were chatting to each other, which seemed rather good and a change from sitting there which can appear a bit 'awkward'. Anyway that's just my view, but it reminded me of a contestant a few years ago who used to do it every time. So therefore being new here I just tried to investigate further and try and find this contestant's name in the lists, as I have no idea who he was now, but was just interested in when it was etc, human nature stuff I guess.
Well I thought it would be really easy to find him in the list of shows but I just can't and I wondered if you know who it was!

I know he won several times, probably made it to an octochamp and he definitely came back for that series' finals, which makes it all the stranger that I can't find any info. I think he was on during Des O's or the beginning of Jeff's time, but not totally sure about that, but he didn't come back for the CofC in January. Oh and if it's any help he looked a bit like Shane Long [footballer] and was a Fulham fan!
Who was he!?!?!
That sounds like Jeffrey Burgin from Series 61 to me.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Robinson wrote: That sounds like Jeffrey Burgin from Series 61 to me.
That's him! Thanks James, and so quick! I'm sure I googled that name before and someone else appeared. So finally beaten by Innis then :)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

This may have already been asked but has any numbers game ever come up more than once in the show's history? (Same numbers and target but order of the numbers doesn't matter).
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Jack Worsley wrote:This may have already been asked but has any numbers game ever come up more than once in the show's history? (Same numbers and target but order of the numbers doesn't matter).
I very much doubt that!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dave Preece wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:This may have already been asked but has any numbers game ever come up more than once in the show's history? (Same numbers and target but order of the numbers doesn't matter).
I very much doubt that!
CoC XII GF, Round 14: 100 50 25 75 3 4 -> 880
Series 63 4th QF, Round 5: 50 100 75 25 4 3 -> 880

(Incidentally, it is impossible to get 10 points on this particular numbers game. :ugeek: )

This is the only one I know off the top of my head, but I'm betting there are at least a few others.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

I stand corrected, sorry!

Are the odds on that somewhere near 50,000/1?????????
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dave Preece wrote:I stand corrected, sorry!

Are the odds on that somewhere near 50,000/1?????????
I started to think about the calculation, but you'd want to weight it by the selection type. Clearly it's much more likely that a 4 large game would be repeated since 4 of the 7 components are guaranteed to be the same from the off, but then 4 large isn't picked very often. Then I thought I'd just wait for somebody else to do it.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

I haven't done the calculation either, but given that there must have been something like 13,000 numbers games in the entire history of Countdown (I'm sure someone will supply the correct figure), it doesn't strike me as particularly remarkable that two of them turned out to be the same. It's a version of the so-called birthday problem - there are 365 possible birthdays, and yet you only need 57 people in a room to have a 99% probability that two have the same birthday.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Wouldn't surprise me if there were more as I've had the same numbers and target in the same numbers attack (20 rounds) before a couple of times on apterous (although yeah, 4 large)
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

OK, I've done a few rough calculations now. For simplicity I'll just look at the "one large" picks. From the graph posted by Graeme some time ago it looks as though they come up about 70% of the time, so that's about 9000 games played in total.

For further simplicity I'll just look at the ones where no number is repeated. Statistically these should come up around 52% of the time, so that's about 4680 games. There are four possible choices of large number, 252 (=10C5) choices of small numbers, and 900 choices of target. That comes to 907200 possible combinations. Using the approximate formula given on the Wikipedia page, the probability that two of these games have yielded the same combination is close to 1 - exp(-(4680^2)/(2*907200)), or around 99.9994%.

So I don't think anyone should be remotely surprised!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Better late than never...
Dave Preece wrote:Graham, would he first graph look much more 'bell curve' shaped if the 9's scored 9 points instead of 18?
Andy Platt wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Dave's hypothetical bell.
Jon O'Neill wrote:I reckon a bell with a little dip for impossible numbers or something.
8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think that dip's probably got much to do with impossible numbers.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Me neither Gavin!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Dave Preece wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

Frequencies of maxes:

Graham, would he first graph look much more 'bell curve' shaped if the 9's scored 9 points instead of 18?

Thought so...

{genius LOL}
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

How would YOU rank the top 10 or more contestants?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Wins, %wins, comp wins, %comp wins, ???
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Dave Preece wrote:How would YOU rank the top 10 or more contestants?
Dave Preece wrote:Wins, %wins, comp wins, %comp wins, ???
Shag, Snog, Stalk, Marry, Maim, Kill, Avoid, Befriend, Berate, Worship?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

I guess the answer is still: I don't know?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think it was Angus Deayton.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Dave Preece wrote:I guess the answer is still: I don't know?
Yep.

However, I'm curious - what does "comp wins" stand for? Competitive? Competition? Competent? Compost?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:I guess the answer is still: I don't know?
Yep.

However, I'm curious - what does "comp wins" stand for? Competitive? Competition? Competent? Compost?

So... Am I assuming that this is one of the most challenging questions you have been asked in this tread - hence to non-answer????
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

PS

Comp is short for competition.
Neil Collins

Post by Neil Collins »

Dave Preece wrote:

Just realised that I never came back on this one.

I was the only contestant to take part in Countdown Masters who had never won a game, having lost in my original appearance the previous year. Richard made a big thing about my appearance on Masters being an experiment to see what would happen if a losing contestant was put up against a previous series champion (Brian Hudson)

The truth was though that the contestant who had been booked to appear against Brian hadn't turned up, and as I worked in the pub that John Meade (God rest his soul) drank in, I was dragged in with about an hours notice to fill in.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Neil Collins wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:

Just realised that I never came back on this one.

I was the only contestant to take part in Countdown Masters who had never won a game, having lost in my original appearance the previous year. Richard made a big thing about my appearance on Masters being an experiment to see what would happen if a losing contestant was put up against a previous series champion (Brian Hudson)

The truth was though that the contestant who had been booked to appear against Brian hadn't turned up, and as I worked in the pub that John Meade (God rest his soul) drank in, I was dragged in with about an hours notice to fill in.
Heh, that's quite interesting. I suppose the result of the "experiment" was more balanced than might have been expected - looks like it was only the numbers games that won it for Brian.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Forgive me if this has been dealt with already- I know it was discussed before but I can't find it.

My question relates to the relative difficulty of Countdown and Apterous. Do we have figures for average max particularly for letters rounds, as I suspect letters rounds are considerably 'nicer' on the show.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Apterous stats:

Max of 3 = negligibly small / Max of 4 = 0.2% / Max of 5 = 3% / Max of 6 = 19% / Max of 7 = 42% / Max of 8 = 30% / Max of 9 = 5%
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

There are more (I'd go as far to say, far more) 9's on the show IMO.

COULD be more 4's too, others will be similar, just a guess though!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

sean d wrote:Forgive me if this has been dealt with already- I know it was discussed before but I can't find it.

My question relates to the relative difficulty of Countdown and Apterous. Do we have figures for average max particularly for letters rounds, as I suspect letters rounds are considerably 'nicer' on the show.
For all letters rounds for which the max is known, up to 1st March 2013...
3: 0.0042% (2)
4: 0.0933% (44)
5: 1.7800% (839)
6: 14.4985% (6834)
7: 43.4360% (20474)
8: 34.5723% (16296)
9: 5.6156% (2647)

For all 15-round games up to that date...
3: 0.0035% (1)
4: 0.0315% (9)
5: 1.2257% (350)
6: 12.5263% (3577)
7: 42.5795% (12159)
8: 37.2496% (10637)
9: 6.3839% (1823)

Since 2010...
3: 0.0128% (1)
4: 0.0511% (4)
5: 1.6471% (129)
6: 14.2237% (1114)
7: 43.4755% (3405)
8: 34.8059% (2726)
9: 5.7840% (453)

I don't see any particularly strong deviation from the apterous figures Andy's given. Note that the wiki, and therefore the database from which these figures are derived, gives letters maxes according to ODE3 for games since S64, and ODE2r for all earlier series. This means the letters maxes for series which used earlier editions (series 54 and earlier) might be wrong. A bit.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Looks like the conclusion is that the letters on countdown are 'shuffled' very slightly better than apterous's shuffle algorithm, but Charlie has also done a bloody good job of replicating it.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Good analysis Graeme, but could you improve it by comparing to apterous when taking into account number of vowels picked (i.e compare the figures for 3, 4 and 5 vowel selections separately)? I feel like the average max on the show is lowered somewhat by the number of contestants going 3 vowel all of the time.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Thanks gents.

I'd suggest it is fairly significant. Andy's figures suggest 77% 7-or-better max on Apterous, the Countdown since 2010 figures suggest 84% 7-or-better max. Doing a quick weighted average (with 18 pts for a 9) I think the average max score per letters round on the show since 2010 is 7.807. On Apterous it's 7.538. That's about 3 points a game. Jack makes a good point too about the tendancy for contestants on the show (non-Apterites mainly!) to strangle rounds with 6 consonants by default. (I'm assuming 5C/4V yields a higher average max).
Anecdotally the letters on the show seem less random than Apterous... less batches of 3 A's or 4 L's, an uncommon amount of selections with 9 different letters, etc. But then perhaps I see more unfriendly selections on Apterous cos I might rattle through 50-100 letters rounds in a day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy Platt wrote:Looks like the conclusion is that the letters on countdown are 'shuffled' very slightly better than apterous's shuffle algorithm, but Charlie has also done a bloody good job of replicating it.
Or worse.

Edit - Basically I think it's probably a bit harsh to say they're shuffled better on Countdown, given that Apterous is trying to replicate Countdown rather than merely get the highest maxes possible. And obviously Countdown is always going to be nearer Countdown than Apterous is.
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

On 10 July, the same numbers game target (831) came up twice in a row. Has this ever happened before?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

A while back, I asked the same question. I believe 10 games have had two instances in a row of the same target... or 11 including this most recent one.

If Graeme will kindly accept ANOTHER two questions from me:
* What word has most frequently been used as a conundrum?
* What is the most frequently used conundrum scramble?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Interesting one ^

As part of my prep for going on TV I read through a lot of the conundrums that had been used in the past and I think the answer to part A will be INTUITION but keen to hear what Graeme has to say.

Edit: Hmm, only 4 times after checking, so probably not
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:A while back, I asked the same question.
So combining this all together, has the same question ever been asked twice in a row in this thread?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Has the same question ever been asked twice in a row on this thread?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Has the same question ever been asked thrice in a row on this thread?
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Dave Preece wrote:Has the same question ever been asked thrice in a row on this thread?
That wasn't the same as the last two questions, so I presume the answer's no.