Countdown for Comic Relief

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Countdown for Comic Relief

Post by Mark Deeks »

I'm going to make it easier for you and make a self-aggrandizing Facebook photo album.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Cool. Include the girls.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Done.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

As I sit here with the 81MB download preventing me from sleeping, I thank you for the album.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

There's the small 19 meg option also at that link, silly goose!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

So, we had that rematch.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=993319

It puts the "board game effect" into some context as well as the sleep deprivation one. Things of note:

1) The max on the board game version was 3,550. The max on the Apto version was 3,770. (NB: the more sedate numbers picks in the Apto game may factor slightly here.)

2) I got 359 maxes first time and 387 this time. Innis got 357 first time and 389 this time. So not only is the sleep deprivation a factor in worsened play - quick, someone tell scientists! - we're also exactly level on total maxes. This makes me feel better about being 2-0 down and getting dicked on by 94.

3) The Apterous game took maybe 3 hours over four sessions. Definitely a more efficient method for any wannabe 25 hour Countdowners out there.

4) On the Apto version, by my count, there were 28 nines (26 spotted by Innis, 22 by me, one unsolved) in the game. In the board game version, there were 16 (15 spotted by Innis, 14 by me, one unfound). And one of those - APERITIFS - we fixed.

5) Rachel owes us £135 now.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Are you calling me redundant? *sob*
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Oh you you you.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

...yes? :P
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Hello all,

There's another Comic Relief marathon this year, and while there's no Countdown in it (we didn't know how to give a repeat performance that could compete with what we did last time), I'll be in it doing something else. Myself and two guys from Cardiff will be having a darts marathon, trying to score 100,027 points in 27 hours. It should be a tremendous craic, and, as ever, t'is in the name of Comic Relief.

http://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/27-hou ... -challenge
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Is there some reason behind the additional 27 points (and indeed the 27 hours), or are you just a bit zany?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The 25 hour show was done because it was the 25th anniversary of Comic Relief. And now, of course, t'is the 27th. So yeah, that.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ah yes, that works.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

More to the point, where did 2014 go? Could have swore the Countdown thing was last year!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It was the same day as the Coc Final - 1st March 2013.

http://www.davidstore.site50.net/notitl ... ttime=1082
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Turns out yesterday's link wasn't the right one. Whoops. Here is another link to our Comic Relief marathon (don't worry, wonderful folks who did donate - it still went to Comic Relief, just not our individual cumulative total. Don't know why.)

https://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/dartsuntilithurts/

There are two ways you can help out by sponsoring. The first is a chunk of money, and thank you to those who have done this and those that will. The other is performance related (this was actually the initial plan, by the way). As a poor darts player who nevertheless tries anyway, I have hit six 180's in the 30 years of my life. It will therefore be interesting to see how many I can hit in one day (in theory, I'm going to be much better at darts by Sunday morning than I am now). Our initial idea was for sponsorship per 180 hit. And that option is open to you. I aim to pound that treble 20 like a screen door in a hurricane, and so if you'd rather do it that way, let me know!

Thanks to everyone for listening and helping. We are doing this for fun, yes, but also for the cause.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Personal motivation is being drawn from the desire not to constantly lose at the annual Co:Lin dart-off next year. Had 12 darts at double 16 to beat Kirk this year and missed them all. That ends now.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark Deeks wrote:Turns out yesterday's link wasn't the right one. Whoops. Here is another link to our Comic Relief marathon (don't worry, wonderful folks who did donate - it still went to Comic Relief, just not our individual cumulative total. Don't know why.)

https://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/dartsuntilithurts/

There are two ways you can help out by sponsoring. The first is a chunk of money, and thank you to those who have done this and those that will. The other is performance related (this was actually the initial plan, by the way). As a poor darts player who nevertheless tries anyway, I have hit six 180's in the 30 years of my life. It will therefore be interesting to see how many I can hit in one day (in theory, I'm going to be much better at darts by Sunday morning than I am now). Our initial idea was for sponsorship per 180 hit. And that option is open to you. I aim to pound that treble 20 like a screen door in a hurricane, and so if you'd rather do it that way, let me know!

Thanks to everyone for listening and helping. We are doing this for fun, yes, but also for the cause.
I'm impressed. I played for a couple of hours a day for a few years and never hit 1 180, and never in the twenty years since. Meh. I did learn to play left-handed though, so that's something.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The sixth one was the only time I've not had to fight (and succumb to) the urge to take a photo of it and run around ringing people.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Is the first one (£112/£1000 so far) like a group page and this one (£10/£500) an individual page? Should I donate to both? Or does Mark Deeks's Giving Page contribute to the Ian, Dan and Mark\'s 27 Hour Darts Marathon Challenge's Giving Page?

Fuck it, I'll just donate something to both of them and see what happens. Only through experience can we learn, after all.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I don't know what happened. I didn't know there was a difference until Comic Relief emailed today and said "um, don't use that one". So I would advise the dartstillithurts one. And thanks!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Hey all, we did it! We scored the 127,000 points, raised about £1200 collectively, in an overall total pot of £78,000. T'were a great craic and while I am still in quite a deal of physical pain 40 hours on, it was totally worth it. A sincere thank you very much for very generous contributions. Couldn't have done it without you guys.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Re: Countdown for Cancer Research

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Hi Guys

On the 15th September 2019 I will be hosting a 5 hour Countdown game for Cancer Research and we want some Countdowners to play (we will have a few games going) and I will be the host. It will be at my own home.
Last edited by Ashton Hancock on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:17 pm Hi Guys

On the 8th September 2019 I will be hosting a 5 hour Countdown game for Cancer Research and we want some Countdowners to play (we will have a few games going) and I will be the host. It will be at my own home.
I will be heading back from Dublin... :P
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

James Robinson wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:22 pm

On the 15th September 2019 I will be hosting a 5 hour Countdown game for Cancer Research and we want some Countdowners to play (we will have a few games going) and I will be the host. It will be at my own home.
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

James Robinson wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Sorry so will I it’s on the 15th now