A few general queries

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom
Acolyte

A few general queries

Post by Tom »

Hi guys, just wondering who out of here applied for Carol's vacancy for next series. I thought about it, but facing redundancy at work and generally a lot going on I decided to leave it.

Not had a look at Apterous yet but will definitely give it a go, congrats on the invention Charlie/Soo, hope you enjoyed the experience and hope you also reached your potential, I'll be keeping a close eye on how you do. Love the Countdownwiki site and the information that's on there, out of interest, who wrote my profile on there? And can't figure if this is true or just a joke, but did Zef really threaten to take Stewart Holden to court??!! what a joke.

An old friend who I met the other day seemed convinced I was the youngest finalist in the show's history but told him otherwise. I said at the time I was the 4th but 3rd at the time - anyone know an exact answer? Alan Saldahna and Wayne Summers before me?

Hope you're well everybody here on the forum
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: A few general queries

Post by Jon Corby »

Tom wrote:Hi guys, just wondering who out of here applied for Carol's vacancy for next series. I thought about it, but facing redundancy at work and generally a lot going on I decided to leave it.
I did :)

Haven't heard anything yet though :(

Surely if you're being made redundant at work, you should be looking for alternative employment, not cocking a snook at it?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Tom wrote:Hi guys, just wondering who out of here applied for Carol's vacancy for next series. I thought about it, but facing redundancy at work and generally a lot going on I decided to leave it.
I did. Don't think there after a boy though.
Tom wrote:did Zef really threaten to take Stewart Holden to court??!! what a joke.
There aren't many people he hasn't threatened to take to court. I believe Mike Brown was his other most serious target in this respect.
Tom wrote:An old friend who I met the other day seemed convinced I was the youngest finalist in the show's history but told him otherwise. I said at the time I was the 4th but 3rd at the time - anyone know an exact answer? Alan Saldahna and Wayne Summers before me?
I think you're right, but not for definite. Damo or MB might be able to help you here.

Good to see you Tom! Will you be making your long-awaited COLIN return this year?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

A few men did, which was really a shock to me because seeing a man in Carol's position would be awkward!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Before Jason goes on and on and on and on in this thread about having a serious problem with Carol being replaced by a man, you can find the whole situation here about who has applied :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Tom wrote:An old friend who I met the other day seemed convinced I was the youngest finalist in the show's history but told him otherwise. I said at the time I was the 4th but 3rd at the time - anyone know an exact answer? Alan Saldahna and Wayne Summers before me?
And Andrew Perry. Richard Saldanha was (iirc) Allan Saldanha's younger brother but I'm not sure which side of 16 he was when the finals rolled around.

Of course there has been another young finalist since 2002, but I'm damned if I can remember who... ;)
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Zef threatening to make Mike Brown to court?! for what?? he's harmless . Who else has he threatened then?

Know I could rely on you Ben to give me the answer to that about finals, forgot about Richard and Andrew.

Long awaited return to COLIN? didn't know it was long awaited - things have changed and I'm out of touch with the show though you can never say never, I sometimes get itchy feet.

Good to see a youngster doing well on the show and get all conundrums so far! he seems pretty consistent - bit like I was, don't know what his range is but mine from my heats up until the final was 13.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Tim Morrissey was very young too, right?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Who is Zef, and why is he such a mean person?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

David O'Donnell wrote:Tim Morrissey was very young too, right?
He was, but he didn't reach the final (amazingly)- got knocked out in the semis. He later won the c of c though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Tim Morrissey was very young too, right?
He was, but he didn't reach the final (amazingly)- got knocked out in the semis. He later won the c of c though.
So he was a finalist - of the CofC.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

One of my colleagues (another statistician) applied, she'd do well I suspect :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Tell her I said good luck, Ian!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

I have to say I thought Tom meant "finalist" in the sense of "player taking part in the series finals" i.e. quarter-finals onwards, but maybe I was wrong. Does cause confusion though, this overlap in meaning.
Tom wrote:Long awaited return to COLIN? didn't know it was long awaited - things have changed and I'm out of touch with the show though you can never say never, I sometimes get itchy feet.
I know what you mean Tom, the game and the standard of play move on if you have a break from watching/competing, and if you do get back into it, it takes time to get back up to your previous level. Still, would be nice to meet up again if you do decide to come to an event
Tom wrote:Good to see a youngster doing well on the show ... he seems pretty consistent - bit like I was, don't know what his range is but mine from my heats up until the final was 13.
Yeah I noticed that as well Tom (as mentioned elsewhere)! Kai's range of scores is just 8 so far...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Julian Fell wrote:I have to say I thought Tom meant "finalist" in the sense of "player taking part in the series finals" i.e. quarter-finals onwards, but maybe I was wrong. Does cause confusion though, this overlap in meaning.
Ah- I thought he specifically meant 'grand finals', otherwise the list lengthens somewhat- there is a category on the Countdown wiki entitled 'prodigies' that caters for this sort of query. At the moment I think it's limited to octochamps but it might cover all finalists as well.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

I meant finalist in terms of series, not C of C's - should have been a bit more clearer.

Taken a look at the COLIN line up and it looks more than impressive - good luck to everyone competing this year and no doubt Ben it will be memorable.

I doubt I'll ever get back into watching full time properly again as my life's just moved on in the 6 years since I was on and even then to get to the "normal" standard we get would take I reckon at least 6 months. Though I still check here every so often and I've never been able to leave the show behind me completely (same with yourself Julian) and with me personally its because of the great experience of being a contestant.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Tom wrote:I've never been able to leave the show behind me completely (same with yourself Julian)
Yes... goodness knows I've tried, but never truly managed it :(