COUNTDOWN 30TH CHAMPIONSHIP

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mike Brown
Legend

Re: COUNTDOWN 30TH CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Mike Brown »

Maybe a (shock, horror) random number generator (like a 1-digit CECIL) could decide how many large numbers you get in R14. It's fair for everyone and Rachel isn't put in a difficult position.

EDIT: Oops, I see it's already been suggested in the other thread! (quite like the idea, though, at least for knockout games). Maybe it could choose the number of vowels in R13 too!
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I'll be there :D Can't wait to watch a bit of talent fortunately from the audience rather than playing against it. I'm up for joining whoever is going out after filming is done for the day.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I only got it for the afternoon on the 21st. :( :(

I asked to be added to a reserve list if such thing exists
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

I didn't get picked (not that I thought i would) but a friend of my girlfriend was a series champion back in the 80's and we asked him if he wanted to apply but he decided against it because he hasn't played for years and also didn't want to be destroyed by all the apterites out there.

Im hoping for an Innis Carson-Chris Davies final.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It'll mean thinking up a new signature.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Potential Close Games:

Game 4 could be oh-so-close. Ben Wilson was never an octochamp (Series 46, the series of the viscounts) so we never got to see his full potential. Conor Travers was the boy wonder of Countdown at the time (I even think there was once an advert about him - "Can anyone stop Conor Travers...? Countdown, 3:25, on Channel 4") and I wonder whether it will be down to one letters round, or even a tie-break conundrum.

Game 8 - the current Champion of Champions versus Series 61 runner-up, Andrew Hulme. That's one I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Game 9 - two modern players who should have won (and in Ed's case, did) their series.

Game 11 is a game of youth. Both quite young. Science proves that you are at your brainiest on your 25th birthday. Unfortunately, I can't find any record of Jon's age. Kai will be growing brain cells during the recording - but is Jon past that mark? If so, then Kai should win. If not, that will be oh-so-close.

Game 15 won't be an upset as such if Marcus gets knocked out, but that would still mean Marcus Hares would be out in Round One.

Game 19... the (academic) yearly champion match.

Game 22 looks meaty. I expect Nick Wainwright and Jack Hurst to win their prelims but bear in mind that Wainwright was last seen in 2009 for the CoC and could be a lot better.

Game 25 will be interesting, as it's the winners of Games 8 and 9.

Game 27, if my predictions turn out to be true, should be Kai Laddiman versus Barry Grossman. A massive age difference (Barry won his series before Kai was born) and Kai should easily waltz that, to the disappointment of the Series 21 champ.

And then.... who knows what will happen?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Game 11 is a game of youth. Both quite young. Science proves that you are at your brainiest on your 25th birthday. Unfortunately, I can't find any record of Jon's age. Kai will be growing brain cells during the recording - but is Jon past that mark? If so, then Kai should win. If not, that will be oh-so-close.
Jono was 15 when he first appeared on Countdown in April 2005, so I guess he's either 22 or 23. Must admit I thought he was older than that until I checked!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Science proves that you are at your brainiest on your 25th birthday.
How does it do that?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

David Williams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Science proves that you are at your brainiest on your 25th birthday.
How does it do that?
With Science, of course.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

David Williams wrote:
How does it do that?
If you were 25, you'd know.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Game 11 is a game of youth. Both quite young. Science proves that you are at your brainiest on your 25th birthday. Unfortunately, I can't find any record of Jon's age. Kai will be growing brain cells during the recording - but is Jon past that mark? If so, then Kai should win. If not, that will be oh-so-close.
Jono was 15 when he first appeared on Countdown in April 2005, so I guess he's either 22 or 23. Must admit I thought he was older than that until I checked!
It's because he looks older. It was proved in the pub after COLIN that he looks older than me, and I'm, like, well old.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

UH-OH!!!!!!!!!! Daily Mail alert!!!!!: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... rsary.html
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

'Carol will not be sitting in dictionary corner'

That seems a pretty uncontroversial statement - does she suddenly fancy herself as a lexicographer now?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Bob De Caux wrote:'Carol will not be sitting in dictionary corner'

That seems a pretty uncontroversial statement - does she suddenly fancy herself as a lexicographer now?
If it wasn't for the ill-will I think it would have been great to have her as a DC guest for the 30th anniversary. It could be good even so. The Countdown Team would feed her made-up words for Susie to disallow, and Carol could criticise Rachel's dress sense and suggest easier solutions to numbers games.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Carol Vorderman wrote:I was always terribly loyal to Countdown
Er, isn't the test of loyalty how you behave when they're not paying you a million big ones a year?
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

She didn't lie, she said she was terribly loyal.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Bob De Caux wrote:'Carol will not be sitting in dictionary corner'

There's two people in DC, only one of which is a lexicographer. Not that you need to be a lexicographer to do Susie's job...
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Yeah, I realised this morning that I was being an idiot. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that they meant as a guest!
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Latest news:

And I quote from Robert Richland from Facebook: "I have had to withdraw from taking part on "Countdown 30th".

I have been short listed to appear on "Pointless" . . . the recording dates AND the transmission dates for both shows practically coincide, and the rules in the small print state that I cannot appear in both if the transmission dates are less than 3 months apart.

Just have to hope that this gamble pays off . . . otherwise it'll be a mite embarrassing if I end up not appearing on "Pointless" either !
"

Mauro
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

szodiac wrote:Latest news:

And I quote from Robert Richland from Facebook: "I have had to withdraw from taking part on "Countdown 30th".

I have been short listed to appear on "Pointless" . . . the recording dates AND the transmission dates for both shows practically coincide, and the rules in the small print state that I cannot appear in both if the transmission dates are less than 3 months apart.

Just have to hope that this gamble pays off . . . otherwise it'll be a mite embarrassing if I end up not appearing on "Pointless" either !
"

Mauro
Oooooooooooooooh, OK, hands up, who's the first replacement on the standby list :?: :?:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Woohoo, that's me up to 187th!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Having been shortlisted on Pointless, that is a gamble.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

szodiac wrote:Latest news:

"

Mauro
Bit of a pointless gamble anyway, as Countdown is clearly the better show.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

And surely you could do Pointless further in the future...or say you can't make that filming date and ask to rearrange? The Countdown 30th championship won't come up again and it's a chance you have to take...if you really were interested of course.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Haha, what a tool!
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

All each to their own but it just seems crazy to snub it when this is a one off opportunity and accepting an offer to appear is a real honour considering how many applicants there supposedly were.

Out of interest, does anyone know how many reserve players there are in the pipeline?

T
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Tom wrote:Out of interest, does anyone know how many reserve players there are in the pipeline?

T
Judging by previous posts, about 170-ish.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Series 6 winner Darryl Francis has stepped forward to take the place of Robert, whom we wish the best of luck on Pointless.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Countdown Team wrote:Series 6 winner Darryl Francis has stepped forward to take the place of Robert, whom we wish the best of luck in getting on Pointless.
Fixed.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Countdown Team wrote:Series 6 winner Darryl Francis has stepped forward to take the place of Robert, whom we wish the best of luck on Pointless.
In light of this development...

I'm very bad at Tetris updated.

CSS? What's that? updated.

This means Darryl is now the earliest-appearing contestant - he showed up in Episode 12 when the programme was 20 days old before coming back for series 6. Unfortunately, we know bugger all squared in a box about this game, so it's not included in any of the stats.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Countdown Team wrote:Series 6 winner Darryl Francis has stepped forward to take the place of Robert, whom we wish the best of luck on Pointless.

This means Darryl is now the earliest-appearing contestant - he showed up in Episode 12 when the programme was 20 days old before coming back for series 6. Unfortunately, we know bugger all squared in a box about this game, so it's not included in any of the stats.
This Darryl Francis episode reminds me, a couple of players (like Kirk Bevins and Andrew Hulme) had more than one "career", and I think it would make sense to have statistics just for their main career, not necessarily instead of but perhaps in addition to their overall stats.

Was Darryl actually on the reserve list? I got the feeling that they were struggling to get many contestants from longer ago, implying Darryl definitely would have got on had he initially applied. And "stepped forward" doesn't sound like "plucked off the reserve list". Queue jumping! :o
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

This Darryl Francis episode reminds me, a couple of players (like Kirk Bevins and Andrew Hulme) had more than one "career", and I think it would make sense to have statistics just for their main career, not necessarily instead of but perhaps in addition to their overall stats.

Was Darryl actually on the reserve list? I got the feeling that they were struggling to get many contestants from longer ago, implying Darryl definitely would have got on had he initially applied. And "stepped forward" doesn't sound like "plucked off the reserve list". Queue jumping! :o
Well, he's just joined here, maybe we can ask him :?: :idea:
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Yes, please do.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Last week Charlie left a link to an XML dump of the wiki lying around on his user page. I thought it looked pretty shiny so I snaffled it like some kind of data magpie. Hope that's okay, Charlie.

From this I've extracted the round details of most of the Countdown games we have on the wiki, and beat them into a computer-readable form so I can data-mine the bejeesus out of it.

There's now a new improved championship player stats page. Best viewed on a very wide monitor.

A lot of the stuff in there I've put in just because I can, rather than because it's interesting. Games that are not included are Darryl Francis' first game in 1982 (because we don't have details for it), and Sandie Simonis' second Masters game and John Ashmore's special against Mark Fisher (because they were never shown and we don't have the details anyway).

Titbits:
Mark Tournoff has the highest conundrum success rate, having solved 13 out of 15.
David Hoskisson is the only player of the 41 never to have had a word disallowed.
Jack Hurst, Edward McCullagh, Paul Keane and Tom Rowell are the only players never to have faced a crucial conundrum.
The end of Chris and Innis's semi-final was the only time Innis had been behind - not only in that game, but ever.
Over his 11 games, Jack Hurst dropped only three points on numbers rounds. This gives him the best numbers score as a percentage of the maximum (99.1%) of all the players.
Four players have never been beaten on numbers: Nick Deller, David O'Donnell, and preliminary-round rivals Jack Hurst and Mark Deeks.

I've got some other interesting stats that are more general rather than relating to players in this tournament, so I'll do those in a separate thread.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

This is brilliant, I'm very excited for the new thread.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Graham, you're amazing. If only you were not so scared of CSS and jQuery! Imagine sortable columns...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Very nice, but:
Graeme Cole wrote:Jack Hurst, Edward McCullagh, Paul Keane and Tom Rowell are the only players never to have faced a crucial conundrum.
is a bit of a weird stratistic because not facing a crucial conundrum due to being too far behind is a completely different thing from when you're too far ahead, so I'm not sure I'd count this as a "thing".
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Very nice, but:
Graeme Cole wrote:Jack Hurst, Edward McCullagh, Paul Keane and Tom Rowell are the only players never to have faced a crucial conundrum.
is a bit of a weird stratistic because not facing a crucial conundrum due to being too far behind is a completely different thing from when you're too far ahead, so I'm not sure I'd count this as a "thing".
It's a curio, not a KPI. Not everything has to be a KPI.
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Graeme Cole wrote:Four players have never been beaten on numbers: Nick Deller, David O'Donnell, and preliminary-round rivals Jack Hurst and Mark Deeks.
It's a statistic, but in my case it's one well worth ignoring. I only played 8 rounds, had at least a couple of fairly straightforward fails, and none of my opponents were strong numberists. Most players in the championship will have lost rounds because they've reached series finals or CofCs and done battle with specialists.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Might be posting in the wrong topic, but does anyone know what happened to Martin Gardner?? He always was on the forums and was really involved with the show but see he hasn't posted for a while - I know he wasn't to everyone's tastes but does anyone have any ideas? Another Zef perhaps :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Is there any news yet on who'll be in dictionary corner for the recordings?What money the first reply to this will be 'Susie'?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Ben Wilson wrote:Is there any news yet on who'll be in dictionary corner for the recordings?What money the first reply to this will be 'Susie'?
According to the audience co-ordinator, still TBC at present.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:Is there any news yet on who'll be in dictionary corner for the recordings?What money the first reply to this will be 'Susie'?
Susie?

You lost the bet though, because this is the second reply.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I'd be surprised if Gyles Brandreth doesn't make an appearance. He always gets wheeled out for landmark shows.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Martin Bishop wrote:I'd be surprised if Gyles Brandreth doesn't make an appearance. He always gets wheeled out for landmark shows.
Gyles will actually make his next appearance on the show due to be screened Mon 19 November 2012. IMO, this is definitely a landmark show. ;)
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Some news which is known to a few people now, and which the powers-that-be have confirmed needn't be kept secret...

Marcus Hares has regretfully had to withdraw from the tournament due to work commitments. Adam Gillard will take his place.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Graeme Cole wrote:Some news which is known to a few people now, and which the powers-that-be have confirmed needn't be kept secret...

Marcus Hares has regretfully had to withdraw from the tournament due to work commitments. Adam Gillard will take his place.
Innis will be pleased. :shock:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ian Volante wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Some news which is known to a few people now, and which the powers-that-be have confirmed needn't be kept secret...

Hmmm. Their head to head 15 rounders: Innis Carson 130 - Adam Gillard 19. I'm not sure he's that bothered.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Hmmm. Their head to head 15 rounders: Innis Carson 130 - Adam Gillard 19. I'm not sure he's that bothered.
Ian said Innis will be pleased.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Shame we won't see Marcus in this, but I think that Adam is a very good choice for replacement. He'd make my top 41.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:This is more mental than even I can dream of!!!!

Superb work, Graeme. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :idea:

Now, who's going to win :?: :P (I've already made my predictions, if what I hypothesise is true, we've got a cracking tournament coming our way.) :D :D :D :D :D :D
Based purely from what I'd seen on the show, I'd say that Jack Hurst was favourite and then Edward McCullagh, but based on what I've also seen on Apterous, Innis is probably current favourite. Having said that, his number one pro rank position will probably come under a lot of pressure as all those top players go into full training.

Conor Travers, Kirk Bevins and Chris Davies are also three obvious picks.
Looking at Pro Ranks and top 15-round players, Jack Worsley and Mark Deeks can't be overlooked, and now that he's in, Adam Gillard.

I haven't really studied the draw though - that can clearly make a massive difference.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Very disappointed not to be able to take part - it was a great honour to have been chosen but I'm very pleased that Adam gets to play - I very much look forward to seeing that match. Good luck to all those involved!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

Adam is an excellent player and recently my wins against him have almost invariably been on crucial conundrums - to dismiss him like this would be ridiculous.

Gutted to see Marcus miss out on the tournament, but I'm really glad that Adam's got a place now, he fully deserved one from the start.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Thanks Marcus and Innis for your kind words. I feel so privileged to be taking part in this historic Championship and I hope we can put on a good show. A real shame for Marcus though :(
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Adam Gillard wrote:Thanks Marcus and Innis for your kind words. I feel so privileged to be taking part in this historic Championship and I hope we can put on a good show. A real shame for Marcus though :(
But Adam... who can sympathise with me now? :(

Just kidding... really happy for you!
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Is anyone playing/spectating on the Tuesday recording next week gonna be in Manchester on Monday night? I'm getting up there late afternoon and will probably be at the bar in the Jury's Inn sometime in the evening so if you see me come say hi.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I will, but it's the missus' birthday, so I'm far more likely to be around the Tuesday.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Innis Carson wrote: Adam is an excellent player and recently my wins against him have almost invariably been on crucial conundrums - to dismiss him like this would be ridiculous.

Gutted to see Marcus miss out on the tournament, but I'm really glad that Adam's got a place now, he fully deserved one from the start.
I would like to publicly apologise to Adam if I insulted his game in my previous message. He is a class player and that was not my intention.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Philip Jarvis wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:I'd be surprised if Gyles Brandreth doesn't make an appearance. He always gets wheeled out for landmark shows.
Gyles will actually make his next appearance on the show due to be screened Mon 19 November 2012. IMO, this is definitely a landmark show. ;)
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9379
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Sad to see that Marcus had to withdraw but glad to see Adam added to the line-up. 8-)