Who is your favourite presenter?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Who is your favourite presenter of Countdown?

Richard Whiteley
38%
Des Lynam
5%
Des O'Connor
No votes
Jeff Stelling
49%
Nick Hewer
8%

Total votes: 39

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Who is your favourite presenter?

Post by Thomas Carey »

Lots of people have talked about this, but there has never been an official topic about it. So, now that Nick has settled in, who is your favourite presenter?
cheers maus
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Who is your favourite presenter?

Post by Andy Platt »

Looks like Des O'Connor has a membership on the forum
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Thomas Carey wrote:Lots of people have talked about this, but there has never been an official topic about it. So, now that Nick has settled in, who is your favourite presenter?
I think it's fair to say that Nick hasn't had enough time to settle in yet. It'll take a whole series at least, especially for someone with no presenting experience.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Trying not to be disrespectful, I'm surprised that Richard has so many votes. You traditionalists, you.

I think Nick has far exceeded my expectations, although I guess it's not surprising that he has no votes yet as people get used to him, as he gets used to it etc etc. I'd probably put him 2nd behind Jeff already though, but that's just me.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:Lots of people have talked about this, but there has never been an official topic about it. So, now that Nick has settled in, who is your favourite presenter?
I think it's fair to say that Nick hasn't had enough time to settle in yet. It'll take a whole series at least, especially for someone with no presenting experience.
At the first few games he was changing every day, and now it's the same stuff every time. And you can always change your vote.
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

We're using the wrong sort of voting system for this. First Past the Post leads to vote-splitting if their are similar candidates.

This is the AV thread isn't it?
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I think Des Lynam deserves at least one vote for saving Countdown from its deepest crisis. Many people, including supporters of the show, said it should be allowed to die with Richard. OK, so almost any experienced presenter could've done the same, but DesL is the one who did.

However, whenever I find myself idling my way through some of the old episodes on YouTube, I'm often amazed at how entertaining (and natural) the interplay between Richard and Carol used to be. I never appreciated this at the time, and I don't think anyone else has come close. So I'd also like to suggest that we need AV.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:We're using the wrong sort of voting system for this. First Past the Post leads to vote-splitting if their are similar candidates.
Clive Brooker wrote:So I'd also like to suggest that we need AV.
Groan.

So Jeff Stelling wouldn't be winning at the moment. Only the most stupid people at my school don't understand AV (but, then again, they don't understand inflation either).

Under AV, Des O'Connor would be winning.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Only the most stupid people at my school don't understand AV
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I thought Jeff was a one off, the show just flowed with him and he knew the things to say to the contestants that didn't do so well, Nick's occasional comments to 4's, failed conundrum solves etc adds to his charm I think, although I prefered Jeff
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I am surprised Nick only got 1 vote - mine!!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

My favourite presenter is Nick Allwright.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David Barnard wrote:I thought Jeff was a one off, the show just flowed with him and he knew the things to say to the contestants that didn't do so well, Nick's occasional comments to 4's, failed conundrum solves etc adds to his charm I think, although I prefered Jeff
I voted for Richard Whiteley, not just because he was the first presenter and hosted for so many years, but also partly because he was a lovable bumbler and made the odd gaffe even with so much experience, which made him appear so human IYKWIM.

Nick Hewer's charm has the potential to overtake (or at least equal) Des Lynam as my second choice, but it's still too early to tell after only a few weeks.

I do understand why many voted for Jeff Stelling, but he was too perfect and slick for me. I need the odd quirk in a presenter in order to enjoy a show.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Never understood why bumbling was considered a positive.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Nick's banter with Ann today definitely made me like him more, he is definitely starting to settle in and the shows are flowing better now.