Interesting video

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kirk Bevins
God

Interesting video

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Just saw this....was quite amusing to start off with then I fast forwarded the show a bit and found out it contained two of our very own c4cers :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yxTKf8g ... re=related
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Interesting video

Post by Adam Gillard »

Haha, just sounds like they're speaking Dutch or something. And the clock actually counts down, which kind of makes sense.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

In this order, Carol actually laughs at the right place in the anecdotes!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:In this order, Carol actually laughs at the right place in the anecdotes!
And Des's pronunciation of "Junaid" is almost correct!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

First thread I saw that fit.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Haha, very clever. Did anyone else spot the significance of the letters selection?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Haha, very clever. Did anyone else spot the significance of the letters selection?
Yes. However CTHULHU isn't allowed on Apterous, so he'd be out of luck if he offered it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Haha, very clever. Did anyone else spot the significance of the letters selection?
Aren't you supposed to, or it's not gonna make much sense?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Mark James wrote:
That's what I was thinking...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mark James wrote:
Surely (and particularly given the title) most people would just see it as an amusing mash-up of Countdown and The Thing. The CTHULHU reference just adds another layer for those familiar with the Lovecraft universe; it makes as much sense with it as without it. Or am I being really stupid (which is hardly unknown) and missing something else?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:The CTHULHU reference just adds another layer for those familiar with the Lovecraft universe
I have no idea what the Lovecraft universe is, but I know Cthulhu from South Park :D
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Surely (and particularly given the title) most people would just see it as an amusing mash-up of Countdown and The Thing. The CTHULHU reference just adds another layer for those familiar with the Lovecraft universe; it makes as much sense with it as without it. Or am I being really stupid (which is hardly unknown) and missing something else?
I certainly enjoyed it as an amusing horror/Countdown mashup.

I asked eldest son (27 years old BTW, so not a child - relevant given the further references) about the significance of CTHULHU, and he said it was from the occult, and found me this link to a spoof Dr Seuss "For Beginning Readers" version of a Lovecraft book about CTHULHU. Clever the way the writer has mixed the 2 genres, but scary stuff - definitely not for kids or the easily disturbed.

http://drfaustusau.deviantart.com/galle ... 4#/d4ba34e
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Yeah, fair enough. I guess it made immediate sense to me what was going on because I had recognised Cthulhu (from South Park mainly but I'd seen the name crop up in a few things. Not overly familiar with Lovecraft) but that is just one layer as you say. It didn't make me think of the Thing at all though.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I think Cthulhu is perhaps more widely known that you realise Phil, particularly on the Internet. I'd heard of it and had no idea it was anything to do with Lovecraft.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Innis Carson wrote:I think Cthulhu is perhaps more widely known that you realise Phil, particularly on the Internet.
Probably true of a lot of things. :oops: