Name plates of contestants

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Name plates of contestants

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I have now seen on another thread that the current contestants name is Junaid.
I watched (I think carefully) the programme hoping to see his name rather than just hear it, because I wanted to know the spelling.
The little things in front of contestants are presumably name plates.
But they were tiny and I couldn`t read them. Also I don`t think they were ever shown on camera - they were out of shot below the screen.
I may have blinked and missed seeing them. I may be wrong (I often am).
But I don`t quite understand why they have name-plates which are tiny and which are not shown.
Gosh! Talk about trivia.....
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ralph wrote:I have now seen on another thread that the current contestants name is Junaid.
I watched (I think carefully) the programme hoping to see his name rather than just hear it, because I wanted to know the spelling.
The little things in front of contestants are presumably name plates.
But they were tiny and I couldn`t read them. Also I don`t think they were ever shown on camera - they were out of shot below the screen.
I may have blinked and missed seeing them. I may be wrong (I often am).
But I don`t quite understand why they have name-plates which are tiny and which are not shown.
Gosh! Talk about trivia.....
You have a strange sense of mise en page. On first sight I thought you'd posed your question in the form of an extended haiku. But yes, they are shown very briefly at the start and never thereafter. That's why recappers often end up missing the name of the challenger.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Charlie Reams wrote:You have a strange sense of mise en page.
Flatterer! Perhaps it stems from my time in journalism.
Thanks, Charlie, for your clarification about the name-plates.

(I did the quote thing wrong. Sorry)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.
If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future... ;) (One that the poster of rhe quoted message hasn't actually signed up for yet.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future... ;) (One that the poster of rhe quoted message hasn't actually signed up for yet.)
I think the polarity on your sarcasm-o-matic got reversed halfway through that.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.
If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future...
If only indeed!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
You didn't get it? I got mine from the heats and the finals in my goody bag. One is on my desk at work and the other's in my downstairs crapper :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

They're both above my bedroom door. One on the way in and one on the way out. I don't get many women, as you might expect.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm a bit miffed that I only wound up with one despite three trips to YTV studios- ah well.

Nita Marr of the Edinburgh Countdown Club has about eight... :-/
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I've got two. One is in a framed montage together with some Countdown photos, and the other one is superglued to my forehead so people will always know who I am.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I had 2 nameplates (1 from my each of my recording days). One, signed by Carol, lies in the kitchen cabinet in front of my teapot, and the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)
A delightful image.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:One, signed by Carol, lies in the kitchen cabinet in front of my teapot, and the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)
Kinky bitch.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Wow 46 minutes. What kept you! Also in her special box is a very dirty numbers solution (3 large)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:What kept you!
Emma's special box 8-)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
You could always make one to replace the one you should've got :P

I think the name cards are made out of Mount Board (or something like that) and are 31cm x 4.5 cm. You would then just need to cut out some stcky letters in a Futura font and then stick them on the card :lol:

Incidentally, I think in the older series, before linoleum was used for the tiles, the tiles too were made out of the same card and the letters/numbers were stuck on too (well, it looks it, going by an old Countdown magazine I have anyway from 1995 :lol:).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Make one? I'm way too busy with checking apterous every two minutes and not washing up...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm
You didn't get it? I got mine from the heats and the finals in my goody bag. One is on my desk at work and the other's in my downstairs crapper :)
This time round they were given to me as I was ushered out of the door, so I've got one attached to my work monitor to remind me who I am. The other one I might put on the car windscreen.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Mine lives with my teapot.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...