Who has an ODE2r?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Who has an ODE2r?

Post by Julian Fell »

Just wanted to find out who on here has a copy of the ODE2r because it seems that nearly everyone relies on CountMax these days (not that CountMax is bad, but it's good to have someone with the primary source material). I believe apart from me (and Damian obviously :) ), there's Kirk, Corby, Jono... anyone else?

(for the avoidance of confusion, the ODE2r is the one that says "second edition, revised" on the first couple of pages. If it doesn't say that, it's not the ODE2r ;) )
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Re: Who has an ODE2r?

Post by Stewart Scott »

I still have mine from my goody bag and I am always using it for games of Countdown and Scrabble
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Me!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And me.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Oh I thought you were still on the ODE2 Charlie, from when you said something along the lines of "GOATIEST should be in, unless it's changed in the new edition"
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:Just wanted to find out who on here has a copy of the ODE2r because it seems that nearly everyone relies on CountMax these days (not that CountMax is bad, but it's good to have someone with the primary source material). I believe apart from me (and Damian obviously :) ), there's Kirk, Corby, Jono... anyone else?
I also have a copy of the ODE2r.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

I have one as well.

Charlie will have one as this is given out with the goody bag.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lee Simmonds wrote:I have one as well.

Charlie will have one as this is given out with the goody bag.
Going by the Countdown Wiki site, the 2nd Edition revised was first used in the Championship of Champions XII, back in May 2006, so anyone who has been on since then will definitely have one, unless like myself, they went to a shop and bought one.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Going by the Countdown Wiki site, the 2nd Edition revised was first used in the Championship of Champions XII, back in May 2006, so anyone who has been on since then will definitely have one, unless like myself, they went to a shop and bought one.
It may have changed, but when I was on only losers got an ODE2r; winners got a different, two-volumed Oxford dictionary in their bags to go with their teapot.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yeah it seems to change all the time so I wouldn't say "anyone who's been on since x date will definitely have one"... when I was on everybody got the official Countdown dictionary (the NODE back then) in the goody bag; but shortly afterwards it changed to being the Shorter Oxford, then at various times since it seems to have changed back and forth again (maybe just for winners or losers, as Corby mentions).

I think Jim B and Stuart Earl, who appeared when the NODE was the official dictionary, were given the ODE2, just to confuse things further...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Aye, I got the two-volume Shorter Oxford, but then got the ODE2 in the post some time afterwards (but still before it came into force on the show). I can't remember if this was because it wasn't out yet, or because they'd run out of copies of the NODE to give to contestants.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:Yeah it seems to change all the time so I wouldn't say "anyone who's been on since x date will definitely have one"... when I was on everybody got the official Countdown dictionary (the NODE back then) in the goody bag; but shortly afterwards it changed to being the Shorter Oxford, then at various times since it seems to have changed back and forth again (maybe just for winners or losers, as Corby mentions).
I would've thought everyone who was a contestant, regardless of the number of wins to their name, got the same stuff in their goody bag. To be honest, I turn over now after the conundrum is solved, so I normally don't see the what their goody bag contains :oops:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I got the 2 volume set in my goody bag as well (signed by Des L, Carol and Susie :) ). It's a very nice dictionary so it's a shame if they've stopped giving them out to winners.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

To clarify the current situation:-

The ODE2r is given out in the goody bag to all contestants and the winner gets the Shorter Oxford 2 volume set. The extras the winners get are the Shorter Dictionary and the teapot. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I didnt get an ODE2r. Just the 2 volume set that I dare not look at, in case I learn invalid words :(
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I have an ODE2r I got off Amazon. I like to make sure that words I come up with would have been allowed on the show or not.
Maybe I'll wait to apply to go on the show after they update, so I get a new different one! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

They were half price in WH Smith a while ago, that's where I got mine, so it might be worth shopping around if you have a spare £15 and are in need of one.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:They were half price in WH Smith a while ago, that's where I got mine, so it might be worth shopping around if you have a spare £15 and are in need of one.
Grrr why wasn't this posted earlier? For a selfish sake, I hope they've gone back to full price else I'll be slightly miffed.