7 not written down

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

7 not written down

Post by Lee Kelly »

i know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but was wondering by some flukey chance that both contestants say spot a 7 or an 8 or anything for that matter and both declare say 7 not written down,, what happens there as in who declares first and so that the other contestant isnt just copying what they say since its nat wrote down?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: 7 not written down

Post by Graeme Cole »

I think they're both given a few seconds to write it down. Then they do a retake so you never see that bit.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Lee Kelly wrote:i know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but was wondering by some flukey chance that both contestants say spot a 7 or an 8 or anything for that matter and both declare say 7 not written down,, what happens there as in who declares first and so that the other contestant isnt just copying what they say since its nat wrote down?
Yes, it has been asked a few times before:
Clive Brooker wrote
Damian explained a while back that they usually cover up "double not written down" rounds with a retake or similar. That neatly confirmed my impression that they're far rarer than they should be given how frequently players declare not written down. The few we do see are when they omitted to do the retake.

One such happened in one of my games - put on the spot, I started 5x4 when I meant 4x4, and couldn't recover, whereas if I'd been given the extra few seconds to write it down I would have done so very easily. So justice was done on that occasion, but under normal procedures I'd have got away with it.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Lee Kelly wrote:i know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but was wondering by some flukey chance that both contestants say spot a 7 or an 8 or anything for that matter and both declare say 7 not written down,, what happens there as in who declares first and so that the other contestant isnt just copying what they say since its nat wrote down?
thats a good question actually...
a question from me is: Are the contestants sitting close enough to each other to possibly be able to see what the other person has written then maybe copy them?
...i guess not, but just checking..
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:
a question from me is: Are the contestants sitting close enough to each other to possibly be able to see what the other person has written then maybe copy them?
Yes. See Jeffrey Hansford.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Yes. See Jeffrey Hansford.
they ARE close enough to each other to be able to copy?? bit dumb innit?!?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Did Hansford do that? I knew he copied someone else numbers by just repeating what they'd said and pretending it was a different method.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Did Hansford do that? I knew he copied someone else numbers by just repeating what they'd said and pretending it was a different method.
He tried to see that Dave Von Geyer's paper I think, in a not-very-subtle way. Not sure he actually copied anything though, or was caught copying anything.

The numbers one was even worse than you describe it, as he not only read his opponent's solution back off Carol's board, he shredded his own paper under the desk while he did it :lol:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Did Hansford do that? I knew he copied someone else numbers by just repeating what they'd said and pretending it was a different method.
He tried to see that Dave Von Geyer's paper I think, in a not-very-subtle way. Not sure he actually copied anything though, or was caught copying anything.

The numbers one was even worse than you describe it, as he not only read his opponent's solution back off Carol's board, he shredded his own paper under the desk while he did it :lol:
Also, he apparently tried to subtly use a crossword anagram solver thingy from his bag during a round.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

Also, he apparently tried to subtly use a crossword anagram solver thingy from his bag during a round.
I heard he also built a miniature radio receiver which he used to try and listen in to Dictionary Corner's earpiece. And that he's a nazi.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He also sounded like Zippy (RIP).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:He also sounded like Zippy (RIP).
As if you needed to tell us what sound Zippy's mouth made.