Nick Hewer, YOU'RE HIRED!!!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Re: STELLING TO GO!!!!!!!!

Post by Keith Bennett »

If any "well-known" name gets the job it could be a disaster. To anyone who doesn't follow football through Sky Jeff Stelling was completely unknown and thus a breath of fresh air. What he has done is made the show much more about the contestants and less about the presenter than anyone else - even RW. RW's contestant intros were often fairly brief, and once somebody was a champion very little was asked of them after day one. JS clearly tries to find something fresh to ask/discuss every day, even for an octochamp.

I suspect many of the names thrown into the discussion would simply be too self-important, would be too used to having their programmes being about them. Personally I don't watch much TV so I've no idea who's best for it but if we get someone who's already been at the top end of their career (like Lynham) or an "entertainer" (which is what O'Connor supposedly was) the show will go backwards again.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I'd like to see Andrew Castle do it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Lembit Opik must have a fair bit of time on his hands.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I'd like to see Andrew Castle do it.
Who with?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I nominate Vernon Kay and Dudley.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

i want cheryl cole to take over, pet! :D
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Soph K wrote:i want cheryl cole to take over, pet! :D
:P
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jim Treloar
Rookie

Post by Jim Treloar »

I was in the audience yesterday (Tuesday) and we tried to get Dudley to admit something, but he said he had no idea - I believed him. He DID say if by any chance they put a female in, he's going; he thinks highly of JS and like a lot of us thinks it's a hard act to follow. Also there's to be a lot of recordings coming up, no summer break, so they can get the series done quickly and release JS, i.e. it looks likely that the finals will be recorded weeks in advance of transmission.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I want a normal person to take over. They don't have to be famous, just good at presenting the show. Jeff wasn't famous (well he does a bit of sky sports but not much else.) If a famous person takes over, they will probably center the show on themselves too much. As someone said, Jeff always finds something to talk with the contestants about, even in the semi-finals. (In the final they just talk about... err... the final.) Plus if someone really famous takes over (like, say, Cheryl Cole) then a load of randommers will watch, skip through the 'boring' letters and numbers bits and just watch for the bits from the presenter. Then a load of people will do stupid stuff like suggest sexual terms for the OoW section.

I don't want anyone famous presenting Countdown, just someone who is good at the job. Perhaps they will find fame that way! I don't think RW was famous before he became the presenter, but (despite his death) he is now famous among a lot of us Countdowners!
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Soph K wrote:i want cheryl cole to take over, pet! :D
:P
i dont like jeff stelling. hahahaha!

well thats how bad his jokes are!!!!!!
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thomas Carey wrote:I want a normal person to take over. They don't have to be famous, just good at presenting the show. Jeff wasn't famous (well he does a bit of sky sports but not much else.) If a famous person takes over, they will probably center the show on themselves too much. As someone said, Jeff always finds something to talk with the contestants about, even in the semi-finals. (In the final they just talk about... err... the final.) Plus if someone really famous takes over (like, say, Cheryl Cole) then a load of randommers will watch, skip through the 'boring' letters and numbers bits and just watch for the bits from the presenter. Then a load of people will do stupid stuff like suggest sexual terms for the OoW section.

I don't want anyone famous presenting Countdown, just someone who is good at the job. Perhaps they will find fame that way! I don't think RW was famous before he became the presenter, but (despite his death) he is now famous among a lot of us Countdowners!
Give it to Gevin (that would make a good T-shirt slogan)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:I want a normal person to take over. They don't have to be famous, just good at presenting the show. Jeff wasn't famous (well he does a bit of sky sports but not much else.) If a famous person takes over, they will probably center the show on themselves too much. As someone said, Jeff always finds something to talk with the contestants about, even in the semi-finals. (In the final they just talk about... err... the final.) Plus if someone really famous takes over (like, say, Cheryl Cole) then a load of randommers will watch, skip through the 'boring' letters and numbers bits and just watch for the bits from the presenter. Then a load of people will do stupid stuff like suggest sexual terms for the OoW section.

Give it to Gevin (that would make a good T-shirt slogan)
On second thoughts give to Charlie.
Surely a legend.............in his own mind.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Thomas Carey wrote: I don't think RW was famous before he became the presenter
Before CD he presented (and continued to do so) Yorkshire regional current affairs and political shows.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote:
Before CD he presented (and continued to do so) Yorkshire regional current affairs and political shows.
His global claim to fame pre countdown was the weasel incident from 'Calender', shown on 'It Will Be Alright On The Night.'
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
His global claim to fame pre countdown was the weasel incident from 'Calender', shown on 'It Will Be Alright On The Night.'
Ferret.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Martin Bishop wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:His global claim to fame pre countdown was the weasel incident from 'Calender', shown on 'It Will Be Alright On The Night.'
Ferret.
Calendar.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:His global claim to fame pre countdown was the weasel incident from 'Calender', shown on 'It Will Be Alright On The Night.'
Ferret.
Calendar.
It'll Be Alright on the Night
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote: His global claim to fame pre countdown was the weasel incident from 'Calender', shown on 'It Will Be Alright On The Night.'
pre-Countdown.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Night'.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Hooray, I think the dissection is complete.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Hooray, I think the dissection is complete.
Hooray!

John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Night'.
Schoolboy error methinks, Adam. :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Gillies wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Night'.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ ... tation.htm
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sorry for my eRrors.
But some of the mistakes are weasily made.
I can't always be stoatily correct.
Still it proves that are still a few forumites left that haven't foed me.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Gillies wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Night'.
Sorry Charlie (and Adam), is it me who's made the blunder? I had always assumed that if a sentence ended with a quote then the period should be placed before the second quotation mark. I've quickly read through the article to which you provided a link, and couldn't see anything to contradict this. So, if I'm wrong, please tell me why as I'm a bit of a pedantic weirdo who takes these matters semi-seriously. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

John Gillies wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
John Gillies wrote: Schoolboy error methinks, Adam. :roll:
Sorry Charlie (and Adam), is it me who's made the blunder? I had always assumed that if a sentence ended with a quote then the period should be placed before the second quotation mark. I've quickly read through the article to which you provided a link, and couldn't see anything to contradict this. So, if I'm wrong, please tell me why as I'm a bit of a pedantic weirdo who takes these matters semi-seriously. :oops: :oops: :oops:
That article wrote:In the United Kingdom, Canada, and islands under the influence of British education, punctuation around quotation marks is more apt to follow logic. In American style, then, you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design." But in England you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design".
It's a full stop round here by the way :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Gillies wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Night'.
John Gillies wrote:I've quickly read through the article to which you provided a link, and couldn't see anything to contradict this.
Didn't realise you were American, John.

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Adam Gillard wrote:Didn't realise you were American, John.
It's probably the bit where it says "...in England you would write..." that put him off ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gice the sweaties their independence, I say (now the oils gone and Andy Murray keeps failing at Wimbledon)
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Ian Volante wrote:
John Gillies wrote: Sorry Charlie (and Adam), is it me who's made the blunder? I had always assumed that if a sentence ended with a quote then the period should be placed before the second quotation mark. I've quickly read through the article to which you provided a link, and couldn't see anything to contradict this. So, if I'm wrong, please tell me why as I'm a bit of a pedantic weirdo who takes these matters semi-seriously. :oops: :oops: :oops:
That article wrote:In the United Kingdom, Canada, and islands under the influence of British education, punctuation around quotation marks is more apt to follow logic. In American style, then, you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design." But in England you would write: My favorite poem is Robert Frost's "Design".
It's a full stop round here by the way :)
Ah, thanks Ian; I missed that bit. I stand corrected.
Fifty years spent living in ignorance. Oh dear. :oops:
So, apologies all round, especially to Adam.
Who says, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? (Hope that's correct.)

The really worrying aspect of all this is that this means I'm as wrong as Marc Meakin. :o
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Gillies wrote:The really worrying aspect of all this is that this means I'm as wrong as Marc Meakin. :o
Don't worry about that, I'd say you've got a way to go yet.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

John Gillies wrote:Who says, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? (Hope that's correct.)
Nope. No comma, no quotes.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Some great news on this front, which I can bring back from my recent visit to the studios. It seems that now that the dust has settled, the countdown team are going to do their best to work around Jeff's new expanded sky sports schedule, so he may not have to give up his position after all. Hip Hip...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Wilson wrote:Some great news on this front, which I can bring back from my recent visit to the studios. It seems that now that the dust has settled, the countdown team are going to do their best to work around Jeff's new expanded sky sports schedule, so he may not have to give up his position after all. Hip Hip...
ULTRA LIKE!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Now there is a reason for me to post in this thread.

If they can pull that off, it will be such a miracle that it might need an investigation of Parliament!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Andy Wilson wrote:Some great news on this front, which I can bring back from my recent visit to the studios. It seems that now that the dust has settled, the countdown team are going to do their best to work around Jeff's new expanded sky sports schedule, so he may not have to give up his position after all. Hip Hip...

They said that when I was there, too. Dudley rather revealed it when he wasn't supposed to, and the scriptwriter lady confirmed it for us in the green room. They weren't entirely confident that it was going to work, but they know what they've got and will fight to keep it.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dudley, who are you to do that?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Mark Deeks wrote:. . . the scriptwriter lady . . .
The what??? Someone gets paid??
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Dudley, who are you to do that?
Dudley, you've been told!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes Dudley!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Maybe our prayers have been answered............

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2011/ ... -23299557/
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Maybe our prayers have been answered............
*checks pants*

Nope.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Was this just a stunt to get a few more viewers?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Have the viewing figures dropped now that countdown is up against that odious ginger tart?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Marc Meakin wrote:Have the viewing figures dropped now that countdown is up against that odious ginger tart?
I thought Noel Edmonds was actually blonde, but this photo proves otherwise. Damn, those ginges are everywhere.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes!

Also, for the record, Jon Corby is not right.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

He hasn't been 'right' for years.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok Marc
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:Maybe our prayers have been answered............
Sorry James, I'm Atheist.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I think the title of this thread should be "Stelling to Stay." The exclamation points can stay also.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

It would be good to see Jeff stay and I want to know when Countdown comes back on screen. i cannot find out any info - silly me. Help.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

On the 22nd day of the wonderful month of August -- remember that.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Thanks for that, young man.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

John Bosley wrote:Thanks for that, young man.
Not quite true.......
That is when Series 65 will resume, but there are going to be 2 more specials shown on the 15th and 16th August. 8-)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Ta for that as well.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Who is playing in the specials, James?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Who is playing in the specials, James?
Unfortunately, my information on that is severely limited.

All I know is that they're between women who lost their first games with high scores.

2 people I know who are definitely on are Barbara Grice, who lost to Mary Adie in that thriller in the last series, and Lucy Bolton, who lost to Ryan in his 7th game in S61.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote: 2 people I know who are definitely on are Barbara Grice, who lost to Mary Adie in that thriller in the last series, and Lucy Bolton, who lost to Ryan in his 7th game in S61.
Wow didn't know this. And I just went on her facebook and ruined the result for myself.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought for sure John was asking when Series 65 will return!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I was, but the other info is welcome.
I appreciate getting info on this forum and wonder how Channel 4 tell the general public what is going on - or do they have to read the Daily Mail?