New Talent

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

New Talent

Post by Douglas Wilson »

As enjoyable as this series has been, we've only had two really big guns from apterous in Ed and Adam; compared to last series when the top 6 were all top players.

Looking at the pro ranks the ones that stick out that haven't been on are James Ngyuen, Dale Levell, Hugh Binnie, Thomas Cappleman, Josh Hurst, Graeme Cole, Liam Tiernan, Dan Seasmith, Lloyd Pettet and Matt Bayfield. (All in and around the top 30)

Just wondering if any of you guys have applied/auditioned/recorded or even just planned to apply??
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: New Talent

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I think a no entry sign is being held up to anyone considered an apterite for the time being.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Why?
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Douglas Wilson wrote:As enjoyable as this series has been, we've only had two really big guns from apterous in Ed and Adam; compared to last series when the top 6 were all top players.

Looking at the pro ranks the ones that stick out that haven't been on are James Ngyuen, Dale Levell, Hugh Binnie, Thomas Cappleman, Josh Hurst, Graeme Cole, Liam Tiernan, Dan Seasmith, Lloyd Pettet and Matt Bayfield. (All in and around the top 30)

Just wondering if any of you guys have applied/auditioned/recorded or even just planned to apply??
All these people are dead on, and I hope they do all apply because they would be fantastic contestants :)

So fucking well apply if you haven't :P
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Douglas Wilson wrote:Thomas Cappleman
Already been on. His lack of Countdown fame would be my fault.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Made the mistake of going on shortly after Apterous was made, and before I discovered it (unfortunately I then found it before my episode was screened).
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

So to confirm, if you're an apterite then you're not allowed on Countdown any more?
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Douglas Wilson wrote:So to confirm, if you're an apterite then you're not allowed on Countdown any more?
but isnt that unfair?? ok so just to make this clear, you think that peoplethat are on apterous cant be a contestant on countdown???
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Douglas Wilson wrote:So to confirm, if you're an apterite then you're not allowed on Countdown any more?
Well, I think that might be a bit strong. I'm not really in any position to say as I basically don't know. But my instinct is that for at least a couple of series people who are like aptonerds are being at least postponed to a future series on the basis that application numbers have dropped having witnessed the likes of Kirk, Chris, Oliver and Jack (and the rest) winning the series. So maybe they just want sort of normal people to come back to the show and of course you still do get good natural anagrammers along who haven't used apterous. On the whole though, I really don't know, I'm just speculating.

Maybe what should happen is all these apto people could get put against each other for like, I don't know, say, 3 weeks worth of episodes to clear the pathway.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Maybe what should happen is all these apto people could get put against each other for like, I don't know, say, 3 weeks worth of episodes to clear the pathway.
Hopefully this early finish to this series will mean something like that will happen at some point during the year.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Maybe what should happen is all these apto people could get put against each other for like, I don't know, say, 3 weeks worth of episodes to clear the pathway.
Or they could put them all up against each other for a week and a half at the end of the series.

Is there any real basis for this? Have any of the above applied and not got on?
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

There have been more all-apterite games this series than in recent series. Like Edward McCullagh vs Dave Dyer, Ned Pendleton vs Colin Cox, Ned Pendleton vs Dan McColm and my own games with Adam Fleetwood, James Hall and Peter Mcloughlin. Is this coinidence or was this planned?

I think some more all apterous games in the heats would be great. Som kind of set up like Graeme Cole vs Matt Bayfield with the the winner playing Liam Tiernan and the winner of that playing Matt Morrison would surely be great for all of us. Then there could be other sections of the series where its all "regular people" that would satisfy the geeral viewer.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

It's too bad Damo's not on here much any more. I'd like some official response to these allegations (that's probably too strong a word). If there's any truth to them I would be disappointed. It would be akin to the FA not letting people who train a lot to be footballers. I can sort of see the argument that people are put off applying when they know they don't have a chance to beat the likes of Kirk, Chris et all but then I think, do Eggheads or The Chase struggle to get contestants because they'll have to play against the Eggheads and the chaser?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Mark James wrote:do Eggheads or The Chase struggle to get contestants because they'll have to play against the Eggheads and the chaser?
Er, II doubt Countdown would struggle for contestants if they were offering even the chance of winning £££...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So is there anyone in particular that has or thinks they have been put off to a leter series?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Mark James wrote:do Eggheads or The Chase struggle to get contestants because they'll have to play against the Eggheads and the chaser?
Er, II doubt Countdown would struggle for contestants if they were offering even the chance of winning £££...
Good point. They should do a version of Countdown for money where you have to beat Susie at the letters and Rachel at the numbers.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mark James wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Good point. They should do a version of Countdown for money where you have to beat Susie at the letters and Rachel at the numbers.
The irony being that on Eggheads you have to pick six players, with one acting as a reserve. Guess what role the best player inevitably ends up taking (at least in the first series)...
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'd have to say, even 99-year-old Granny-in-law's noticed the decline in standard recently. (She also commented how Jeff's jokes always sound like he's reading them off a script - hmmmmm.) AFAICS, it's just going to end up with an increase of apterous players called stuff like Practice Name, rather than a decline in apterous players going on.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Martin Bishop wrote:Or they could put them all up against each other for a week and a half at the end of the series.
CoC XIV?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:Or they could put them all up against each other for a week and a half at the end of the series.
CoC XIV?
Calm down, I was referring to the series finals.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Lesley Hines wrote:I'd have to say, even 99-year-old Granny-in-law's noticed the decline in standard recently. (She also commented how Jeff's jokes always sound like he's reading them off a script - hmmmmm.) AFAICS, it's just going to end up with an increase of apterous players called stuff like Practice Name, rather than a decline in apterous players going on.
I think a bot should go on next series, maybe Plum. He'd probably get to the quarters.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I love that people are so desperate for middle-of-the-range apterous talent that even my name got mentioned! :D