Reusing Conundrums

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Reusing Conundrums

Post by Joseph Krol »

If a guy - let's call him Bob - started watching countdown with no vocabulary, but only memorized the conundrum answers. If he had sufficient brainpower to unscramble conundrums instantly assuming he knows the word, how long would it take before he solved a conundrum? Basically, how many conundrums have been reused over the years?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Reusing Conundrums

Post by James Robinson »

Millions of conundrums have been reused again over the years.

I think the record holder is PARTRIDGE, which I think has been a conundrum at least 4 times over the years.

HAIRSPRAY from yesterday's show was on just 4 years ago, although it was as a tie-break conundrum then.

There are loads in fairness. :ugeek:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I've considered this before, too.

According to wiki, PONDERING has been used five times, and used the exact same scramble for three of them. Two of those (same scramble, too) were in the same series (Series 53), only about a month apart :!:

Also, I was going over the recaps for Series 32, and one of the conundrums was KENRIDDLE. Later on in the series the same scramble got used again as a tie-break.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Also, I was going over the recaps for Series 32, and one of the conundrums was KENRIDDLE. Later on in the series the same scramble got used again as a tie-break.
Not too uncommon.

The show before my first first show I was in the audience and solved SUPPORTED, and 3 weeks later, it was on the show again. :shock: :o
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I remember (how sad am I???) in series 13, the same conundrum with the same scramble came up twice in a week. Kevin Nelson, who went on to be the series runner-up, won his debut game in which the conundrum was FREEDRUTH (FURTHERED), and then the exact same scramble came up in his fifth game.He buzzed in with the correct answer but was clearly rather taken aback by its reappearance. Presumably it was a cock-up but it was a little unfair on the challenger considering it was a crucial one.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rich Priest wrote:I remember (how sad am I???) in series 13, the same conundrum with the same scramble came up twice in a week. Kevin Nelson, who went on to be the series runner-up, won his debut game in which the conundrum was FREEDRUTH (FURTHERED), and then the exact same scramble came up in his fifth game.He buzzed in with the correct answer but was clearly rather taken aback by its reappearance. Presumably it was a cock-up but it was a little unfair on the challenger considering it was a crucial one.
Yeah, well weird. Just checked Mike's note. How bizarre.

Although, he doesn't have the scramble, so you have slightly more info on those games than he does :!: :shock: :o :lol:
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Do you have notes of the game or a superhuman memory, Rich?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

No notes of the game I'm afraid Joseph, just a mind in which the most bizarre things seem to stick :?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

We seem to be running out of conundrums already.

Yesterday's conundrum was used just 3 series ago. :shock: :o http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2412
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:We seem to be running out of conundrums already.

COUNTDOWN IN CRISIS
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:
COUNTDOWN IN CRISIS
Point proven again today.

Today's conundrum was on the show after RASPILLED. I remember being in the audience for that show thinking, "if only that was my conundrum then!" :x
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yesterday's conundrum was used just 3 series ago. :shock: :o http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2412
Yeah, but the thing about that conundrum is it can easily be scrambled into a number of different anagrams as required. It's very... what's the word?