CoC XIII Discussion Thread

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: CoC XIII Discussion Thread

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:
Damian E wrote:Actually, its FAR too soppy. Will get in touch asap re C of C. :mrgreen:
Haha, fair enough. Hey, you're not getting in touch with ME about the CofC are you? Because that would be a whole new way to piss Bolas off. Just saying. :)
Have I missed something here?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Have I missed something here?
The joke, maybe?
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

And I have been honoured with a call from Damian himself. Taken completely by surprise by the invite to CofC so just said yes, instead of "I am honoured to be invited". Damian still keep shtum who the next host will be !
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

tonywarren wrote:And I have been honoured with a call from Damian himself. Taken completely by surprise by the invite to CofC so just said yes, instead of "I am honoured to be invited". Damian still keep shtum who the next host will be !
*sits patiently by the telephone*

:(

Edit:

:D :D :D
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I've had a phone call from Damian too this lunchtime.Stress levels are rising....
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

If this keeps up we won't need any speculation, we'll already know precisely who'll be going down. :D

...Anybody got a spare ticket to the recordings? ;)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Tickets not distributed yet, Ben.

If you call Nick Charlwood on 0161 952 0408, he'll oblige i am sure. Tell him Uncle D sent you.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jon Corby wrote:
Edit:

Delighted to hear that Jon :D You're carrying the torch for series 54 so you'd better not mess up.
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

darn :P

Though I didn't really think I had much chance :lol:
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

When I was on holiday in Skegness recently I had my palm read and was told that November would be a lucky month for me.

Hmmm............ :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote:When I was on holiday in Skegness recently I had my palm read and was told that November would be a lucky month for me.

Hmmm............ :roll:
Haha soooo vague. You have 30 days for something fortunate to happen to you. Report back if you experience some positivities during the month.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

[Note for the Inspector Gevin and the Spoiler Police: For logistical reasons, the CoC places were decided in advance of this week's filming.]
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote::D :D :D

[Note for the Inspector Gevin and the Spoiler Police: For logistical reasons, the CoC places were decided in advance of this week's filming.]
I think they did that last time as well which is why Corby is featuring this time. Having said that, he wouldn't necessarily have been a definite anyway so no-one would have noticed. Luckily the three they chose were reasonable given what actually happened. Howe v Corby would have been the one to think about. But I don't think that has been the case in previous CofCs so I wonder why these logistical reasons now exist but didn't before.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

They don't exist, Gevin.

I merely like to feed you with things for you to speculate about. 99% of the things i do on Countdown are done with you in mind.
Michael Simmonds
Rookie

Post by Michael Simmonds »

Charlie! Can you or anyone else change the clock please? It's still showing 1 hour ahead.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Simmonds wrote:Charlie! Can you or anyone else change the clock please? It's still showing 1 hour ahead.
If you go to this thread Michael, I have posted how to change the time :) (you have to do it manually :))
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

No thanks, Ben.
At least not yet anyway.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Just about to do the 'draw' for the 13th C of C.

Good luck to all those involved :mrgreen:
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Very glad to hear that the CofC is going ahead to be shown in January as originally planned, Damian - although to be fair, I don't think Paul's (and my) assumption that it would be put off was an unreasonable one; in any field of life, you don't normally expect newcomers to be saddled with the most high-profile / 'important' tasks; I certainly see your reasoning, but (without wanting to sound too negative) you could say for example that because the average viewer won't be able to play along and keep up with the contestants much any more, he'll be focusing more than normally on the new hosts, hence extra pressure for them.

I think it's a bold move to start the new presenters with a CofC and I hope it works out; certainly I'm delighted and I'm sure everyone on this forum is. Can this CofC possibly match up to the insane standards of the previous one?? :shock: It'll be great to watch anyhow. I know there's no rush, but hope we mortals on here will get to see the first round draw before too long.

Only problem is, from a selfish point of view, if the Final's to be shown on 23 Jan I'll prob have to miss it because I'll be driving to COLin :(
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

It's not a bold move Julian, its the right move.

I have no qualms whatsoever about it. You worry too much !

And i won't post the first round draw on here. I think its better to see it unfold show by show. Plus i might change it, several hundred times. :mrgreen:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:It's not a bold move Julian, its the right move.

I have no qualms whatsoever about it. You worry too much !
I agree with you (for once). I don't really see why it would matter.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote::D :D :D

But were they decided in advance of all the games yet to air?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Meant to post this earlier last week, but got sidelined sorry.

The C of C will NOT be recorded w/c Nov 24th.

More likely now that i'll be something like Mon Dec 15 - Wed Dec 17, but i'll call all those involved as soon as we get confirmation.

Cheers
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The lovely Sarah phoned me this morning to say that it will be 7 - 9 December. Presumably anyone competing has also been phoned but this might be interesting for anyone hoping for tickets.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else got the pics from the CofC? I haven't.
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone else got the pics from te CofC? I haven't.
I haven't, but it took about 6 weeks the first time I was on so I wouldn't worry just yet.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Anyway, as long as Amey Deshpande is invited for purely sentimental reasons, I will be satisfied. Otherwise, I'm never watching Countdown again.
Enjoy series 60, Jono.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I am really looking forward to this now.

Will be nice to see the "Quiet" Irishman, David O'Donnell in action on Monday.

Also got my knuckles crossed for a Reams-Mubeen re-match....
Nicholas Randall

Post by Nicholas Randall »

I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent. The reason for this is that there to much space between the contestants and the presenter and the contestants and dictionary corner. Surely this is a problem and a mistake with the new set? Why the need for the contestants to be closer together? I do like colour of the new set, it is a really nice blue, but it is not only about the colour.
Also, David that is not very nice of your work collegues,you do come across on television as been a nice chap but maybe some of your work collegues are not so nice.

Nicholas Randall
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Nicholas Randall wrote:I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent.
Why not? Have you tried it? I have and it's great.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Nicholas Randall wrote:I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent. The reason for this is that there to much space between the contestants and the presenter and the contestants and dictionary corner. Surely this is a problem and a mistake with the new set? Why the need for the contestants to be closer together? I do like colour of the new set, it is a really nice blue, but it is not only about the colour.
Also, David that is not very nice of your work collegues,you do come across on television as been a nice chap but maybe some of your work collegues are not so nice.

Nicholas Randall
It was pantomime booing - not actually serious! I think you are rather too serious, Mr Randall.
Nicholas Randall

David O'Donnell wrote:
Nicholas Randall wrote:I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent. The reason for this is that there to much space between the contestants and the presenter and the contestants and dictionary corner. Surely this is a problem and a mistake with the new set? Why the need for the contestants to be closer together? I do like colour of the new set, it is a really nice blue, but it is not only about the colour.

Nicholas Randall
It was pantomime booing - not actually serious! I think you are rather too serious, Mr Randall.
Maybe, but I didn't realise it was only in fun. It didn't say that on your original post but sorry I obviously misunderstood.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Nicholas Randall wrote:I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent. The reason for this is that there to much space between the contestants and the presenter and the contestants and dictionary corner. Surely this is a problem and a mistake with the new set?
They did this (apparently) so that DC and Jeff can see each other better.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Nicholas Randall

Charlie Reams wrote:
Nicholas Randall wrote:I don't think that it is a very good thing that the contestants now check their words and numbers solutions with their opponent.
I've never seen it done on countdown before and it was not a usual thing previously.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Nicholas Randall wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I've never seen it done on countdown before and it was not a usual thing previously.
I presume you're against cures for cancer on the same basis.
Nicholas Randall

No but there is no comparison
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Nicholas Randall wrote:No but there is no comparison
Allow logic and reasoning to have its moment and you may just understand Charlie's point.

Oh, I love the whole paper swapping thing btw.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Just watched today's match so wanted to come in to say well played Jon. I too am a member of the footie forum (slackdad who runs the daily racing thread) and I've not laughed so much in ages reading the minute-by-minute updates in the thread today - fantastic stuff. Gandeesee's going to go down as a legend. Appreciate that Richard's a really nice guy but he didn't cover himself in glory for the casual viewer.

Enjoyed all the games this week and v impressed with the new set up. Great stuff 8-)
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ross Allatt wrote:Just watched today's match so wanted to come in to say well played Jon. I too am a member of the footie forum (slackdad who runs the daily racing thread) and I've not laughed so much in ages reading the minute-by-minute updates in the thread today - fantastic stuff. Gandeesee's going to go down as a legend. Appreciate that Richard's a really nice guy but he didn't cover himself in glory for the casual viewer.

Enjoyed all the games this week and v impressed with the new set up. Great stuff 8-)
Yeah, I remember you on there Ross. They loved Richard tbf, he made that show. And it's GANDISEEG :x
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

And it's GANDISEEG
:oops:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ross Allatt wrote:I too am a member of the footie forum and I've not laughed so much in ages reading the minute-by-minute updates in the thread today - fantastic stuff.
What is this 'footie forum' and where can I 'read' these 'fantastic' 'minute-by-minute updates' 'please'?
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

What is this 'footie forum' and where can I 'read' these 'fantastic' 'minute-by-minute updates' 'please'?
football365.com but not sure what the protocol is of taking stuff from there and putting it on other sites, ie: think it might not be permitted. It's recently become a members only site, even for "lurkers".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ross Allatt wrote:
football365.com but not sure what the protocol is of taking stuff from there and putting it on other sites, ie: think it might not be permitted. It's recently become a members only site, even for "lurkers".
Yeah I did think it might be F365 since a few people had mentioned it before. I used to read the forums a bit but haven't bothered since they became members only.
I will sign up tho - can you link me to the thread in question Ross?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Nicholas Randall wrote:No but there is no comparison
Allow logic and reasoning to have its moment and you may just understand Charlie's point.

Oh, I love the whole paper swapping thing btw.
Hang on a minute chaps! Nicholas said he didn't like it, and then Charlie asked if he'd tried it - the answer to that being "I've never seen it done on countdown before and it was not a usual thing previously." I don't think he actually said that was why he didn't like it.

In any case, are you all joking about loving it? Surely it's not something you could get excited about. But anyway I think someone made the point earlier that if you weren't convinced someone did have the answer they claimed, it's quite a lot of responsibility on the contestant to have to question it and they might shy away from it.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ross Allatt wrote:
Yeah I did think it might be F365 since a few people had mentioned it before. I used to read the forums a bit but haven't bothered since they became members only.
Best of luck Matt but it is now the most restrictive forum ever. You can only sign up if your email address incorporates your firm or university or similar so they don't accept 'hotmail', 'ntlworld', 'yahoo', - I used to be able to get on as a lurker but not any more. Jon's previous apperances took up about 50 pages of running commentary and was hilarious; pity it cannot be accessed any more.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Chris Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I did think it might be F365 since a few people had mentioned it before. I used to read the forums a bit but haven't bothered since they became members only.
Best of luck Matt but it is now the most restrictive forum ever. You can only sign up if your email address incorporates your firm or university or similar so they don't accept 'hotmail', 'ntlworld', 'yahoo', - I used to be able to get on as a lurker but not any more. Jon's previous apperances took up about 50 pages of running commentary and was hilarious; pity it cannot be accessed any more.
Wow... some interesting rules...

You must not post comments or materials on this forum which:
  • You must not discuss any active UK court cases
  • You must not relate to either Rangers or Celtic in any section of the forum except in the two threads marked ‘The Official Celtic Thread’ and ‘The Official Rangers Thread'.
Never heard either of those rules invoked on forums before! sounds like a lot of the fun might have been taken out of the place, I know it used to be 'vibrant' to say the least?

Anyway i've signed up and confirmed, just have to wait for an admin to approve my account then I can get reading - can you post the link I was asking for, tho I guess it will be fairly easy to find?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: You must not post comments or materials on this forum which:
  • You must not relate to either Rangers or Celtic in any section of the forum except in the two threads marked ‘The Official Celtic Thread’ and ‘The Official Rangers Thread'.
That's pathetic. This forum must have some awesome features to make up for such schoolteacherish restrictions.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: You must not post comments or materials on this forum which:
That's pathetic. This forum must have some awesome features to make up for such schoolteacherish restrictions.
The forum has had its arse sued off it for some of its content.

Edit: It's also owned by Sky now, so they're pretty sensitive about what's on it. It's more of a historical thing that it's so popular, everybody could easily migrate elsewhere (some have tried to set up alternatives) but it never quite seems to happen.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Charlie Reams wrote:

To pinch one of Jason's catchphrases, you're kidding, right?

The Contempt of Court warning is absolutely par for the course on any internet message board with membership in the thousands and hundreds of posts a day.

You'd be a clown if you didn't have one, particularly on a football site given that footballers (to stereotype wildly) have a propensity for getting into scrapes with the law.

I can guarantee that Stevie Me's legal team have been trawling internet messageboards since their client's night out in sunny Southport for anything which they could use to stop any trial which may ensue. If they manage it and thousands of quids of taxpayers' money gets spunked up the wall, someone's gonna pay. Added to that, no judge likes to be cut off in full flow, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the site owner may get to develop a taste for prison food. Contempt of Court is taken extremely seriously in English law.

Given the kind of stuff Rangers and Celtic fans post about each other, I'm not surprised that after the Racial and Religious Hatred Act, you'd want it all in one or two threads which you could easily check.

That's to say nothing of the site owner's liability for posted libels which aren't deleted sharpish. If someone who had been libelled on f365 (backed by Sky's millions) instructed me, as soon as I issued the claim form, I'd already be dreaming about the shoes and handbags I'd buy, the orphanages I'd endow etc.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lucy Gowers wrote: That's to say nothing of the site owner's liability for posted libels which aren't deleted sharpish. If someone who had been libelled on f365 (backed by Sky's millions) instructed me, as soon as I issued the claim form, I'd already be dreaming about the shoes and handbags I'd buy, the orphanages I'd endow etc.
Okay, I guess I understated. The law is pathetic. How can forums be responsible for libel committed on them? Can I sue BT if someone calls me a paedophile over the phone?

Also the "hate speech" act is possibly the most retarded thing ever. If outlawing racist language makes everyone tolerant then presumably abolishing the word "poverty" would ensure riches and fulfilment for everyone. I think this is called "pushing on a piece of string." Incitement to violence was already a crime, racist or not, so what purpose does this act serve?

I'm more sympathetic to the Contempt of Court thing, since I presume it applies equally to printed media, spoken word and so on. But again it should be the responsibility of individual users to abide by that law, and the forum should have to remove violations only as they are alerted to them (a la YouTube.) There are much bigger forums than F365 which survive on this policy without bankrupting themselves with legal fees.

Just to be clear, I don't blame you personally for any of this shit, and I wouldn't feel all that bad if you got rich at Sky's expense. But still, it worries me that you equate another pointless law with an opportunity to make money. I know you were at least half-kidding, but maybe it's that self-interest of lawyers that causes us to have such a bloated legal system.

And, err, back on topic... Laddiman vs Priest anyone?
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
And, err, back on topic... Laddiman vs Priest anyone?
Really quickly, cos I'm losing $$$ whilst I'm on here ;) , I'm sticking with Laddiman. Though I think it has the potential to be a real nail biter.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For the record, what Lucy said made legal sense. But what Charlie said made actual sense. It's a shame to see any part of the Internet having to resort to legal sense over actual sense, but there we go.
Sorry to jump back to the forum thing anyway, but I just spotted this beauty which is also amongst the F365 rules:

Posts must not contain swear words or language which may offend. This may include swear words with asterisks replacing some letters.

Very first line of today's Mediawatch on the F365 site:

Proof That Nobody Has A F**king Clue What's Going On

... which is not only ironic but wonderfully relevant.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ross Allatt wrote:Just watched today's match so wanted to come in to say well played Jon. I too am a member of the footie forum (slackdad who runs the daily racing thread) and I've not laughed so much in ages reading the minute-by-minute updates in the thread today - fantastic stuff. Gandeesee's going to go down as a legend. Appreciate that Richard's a really nice guy but he didn't cover himself in glory for the casual viewer.

Yeah, I remember you on there Ross. They loved Richard tbf, he made that show. And it's GANDISEEG :x
On a topical note, I see that there's a horse making its debut in the 1.15 at Lingfield tomorrow called "Unbelieveable Jeff" ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Okay, I guess I understated. The law is pathetic. How can forums be responsible for libel committed on them? Can I sue BT if someone calls me a paedophile over the phone?
This is just a brilliant piece of logic.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

note to moderator - unsticky this thread? for neatness and shit.