CountMax errors

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: CountMax errors

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It might be a stupid question, but where does one acquire Countmax from?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There's a link from http://www.apterous.org/cdb/recapwriter.php (when the site comes back up.) And it's not a stupid question, although Paul did ask the same thing fairly recently.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think the grammar was stupid.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Has VERONALS been taken out of the dictionary, I played a classic game against Harvey Freeman and 'beat' 'him' with VERONALS only to have it disallowed.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Has VERONALS been taken out of the dictionary, I played a classic game against Harvey Freeman and 'beat' 'him' with VERONALS only to have it disallowed.
It lists VERONAL as a noun, so assume it would've been there.

On the subject of plurals, Susie allowed FENNELS today, which I didn't think was in.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Has VERONALS been taken out of the dictionary, I played a classic game against Harvey Freeman and 'beat' 'him' with VERONALS only to have it disallowed.
It does - but it's another name for BARBITONE which is a mass noun so I don't think they'd allow the plural. The reason I'm being cautious is the same thing occurs with OPALINE (a noun, but its meaning is Milk-Glass and upon checking Milk-Glass it is a mass noun). OPALINES has been disallowed on the show for this very reason, however, I think it was allowed at one point. I don't know - depends how nice you are to Susie before recording.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

It wouldn't let me have PLIOSAURS there, is that an error?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:It wouldn't let me have PLIOSAURS there, is that an error?
Checked the dictionary and PLIOSAUR is not a mass noun, so it should be there.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:It wouldn't let me have PLIOSAURS there, is that an error?
You sure the letters were there? PLIOSAURS is in countmax.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:
You sure the letters were there? PLIOSAURS is in countmax.
It was on Countgen, I probably goofed!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
It does - but it's another name for BARBITONE which is a mass noun so I don't think they'd allow the plural. The reason I'm being cautious is the same thing occurs with OPALINE (a noun, but its meaning is Milk-Glass and upon checking Milk-Glass it is a mass noun). OPALINES has been disallowed on the show for this very reason, however, I think it was allowed at one point. I don't know - depends how nice you are to Susie before recording.
I seem to recall DC offering VERONALS before, perhaps I'm getting confused because it's permitted in Scrabble.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

VERONAL is just listed as "n. a sedative drug, a derivative of barbituric acid" in COD9 so there would have been no reason to disallow VERONALS according to that dictionary. The joys of a book without the mass noun tag...
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Memory can play tricks, but before the NODE words like RAIMENTS and BUTANES were surely regularly disallowed even though the dictionary didn't specifically forbid them. Having mass nouns specified was a big help to DC. Just a shame the OED made such a botch of it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Lookin at this game and the word Ben Pugh got in round 13:

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=9527

Apparently this is the max according to countmax. Not so - KATSINAM is OK for 8 and so was surprised to see it not mentioned. I'm not sure how this was overlooked.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Apparently this is the max according to countmax. Not so - KATSINAM is OK for 8 and so was surprised to see it not mentioned.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THESE WORDS!!!???
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Apparently this is the max according to countmax. Not so - KATSINAM is OK for 8 and so was surprised to see it not mentioned.
That's obvious. KATSINAM: a variant spelling of CATSINAM, which is a shortening of CATSINAMBUSH, when you use cats as bait. Not that hard.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Practice my dear friend. I've learnt loads on apterous (thanks, Charlie) and I learnt KATSINA. As it was new to me I checked it up in ODE2r to see if it could help me memorise it and then I found KATSINAM. Bit like finding TARIQAS and checking it up and noting it can be spelt TARIQATS so that is now also lodged in the brain.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Not technically a CountMax error, but for lack of a better place to post the conundrum NEIGHBORHOOD, presumably an American spelling, came up in a hypernundrum attack.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jono pointed out yesterday that GROUNDEST should probably be in, since GROUND has three adjectival senses.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I'm not sure about 'groundest', but Paul Howe and I think that 'mattest' should be in. It's a one-syllable adjective, and it sort of sounds right. The mattest finish.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:I'm not sure about 'groundest', but Paul Howe and I think that 'mattest' should be in. It's a one-syllable adjective, and it sort of sounds right. The mattest finish.
Agreed.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

FANDOM is listed as a noun and so FANDOMS should be allowed but I've just had it disallowed on apterous.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:FANDOM is listed as a noun and so FANDOMS should be allowed but I've just had it disallowed on apterous.
I was considering NAILERY recently. I think NAILERY is listed under NAILER, and it doesn't specify that the plural is NAILERIES? It's another one of those horrible ones, but shouldn't the plural just be NAILERYS under the actual Countdown rules? Hmm...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:FANDOM is listed as a noun and so FANDOMS should be allowed but I've just had it disallowed on apterous.
I was considering NAILERY recently. I think NAILERY is listed under NAILER, and it doesn't specify that the plural is NAILERIES? It's another one of those horrible ones, but shouldn't the plural just be NAILERYS under the actual Countdown rules? Hmm...
I thought the rules were basically to follow the dictionary guidelines on plurals, which for words ending in -Y is that it will be specified. So I don't think there is a proper answer.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

How about BENTER and BENTEST? Ugly, I know, but BENT is a one syllable adjective, and as such ought to be allowed the -ER and -EST extensions.

BENTER was available on one of the programmes in the last few days. Although beaten by DC, it would have scored against the contestants.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:How about BENTER and BENTEST? Ugly, I know, but BENT is a one syllable adjective, and as such ought to be allowed the -ER and -EST extensions.

BENTER was available on one of the programmes in the last few days. Although beaten by DC, it would have scored against the contestants.
Is BENT listed as an adjective or just as a past participle?
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:How about BENTER and BENTEST? Ugly, I know, but BENT is a one syllable adjective, and as such ought to be allowed the -ER and -EST extensions.

Is BENT listed as an adjective or just as a past participle?
It's listed as both.
Frank
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I did think about that mention as a past participle of BEND, but as Frank says, it's listed as an adjective too. So by the usual reasoning, BENTER should be valid.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Agreed, it should be allowed. BENTEST sounds quite realistic although BENTER seems weird.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Can't remember if I've flagged this up before but EIRENICS? EIRENIC is listed as an adjective but it says (also IRENIC). Upon looking at IRENIC it lists EIRENIC as an alternative and indeed it is an adjective. The only sense where an S can be pluralised, it clearly states IRENICS in brackets. This would hint to me that EIRENICS should be disallowed.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

MEOWING was disallowed as a US spelling in one of Junaid's games round 6. However, CountMax does allow it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Howard Somerset wrote:MEOWING was disallowed as a US spelling in one of Junaid's games round 6. However, CountMax does allow it.
The same with COZIEST^ too.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I recently had NUTRIAS disallowed. I can't see any sign in the dictionary that NUTRIA shouldn't be pluralised with an S, so why's it not in?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Ian Volante wrote:I recently had NUTRIAS disallowed. I can't see any sign in the dictionary that NUTRIA shouldn't be pluralised with an S, so why's it not in?
It's listed as a mass noun...
Frank
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=13911

In R4 of this game FAJITA was disallowed, but FAJITAS was suggested as an acceptable beater. I was going to try FAJITAS but was worried it might be invalid, since foreign food pluralised weirdly.
Last edited by Ben Hunter on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=13911

In R4 of this game FAJITA was disallowed, but FAJITAS was suggested as an acceptable beater.
Beat me to it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:

In R4 of this game FAJITA was disallowed, but FAJITAS was suggested as an acceptable beater.
Beat me to it.
I'm too fast for your ass, man.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

In R4 of this game FAJITA was disallowed, but FAJITAS was suggested as an acceptable beater. I was going to try FAJITAS but was worried it might be invalid, since foreign food pluralised weirdly.
FAJITAS is like ENTRAILS; there's no singular.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Frank Rodolf wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I recently had NUTRIAS disallowed. I can't see any sign in the dictionary that NUTRIA shouldn't be pluralised with an S, so why's it not in?
It's listed as a mass noun...
Am I failing to read the dictionary properly? I checked for that :(
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

BIOSPHERES was disallowed in one of my games. BIOSPHERE is not listed as a mass noun. :?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kai Laddiman wrote:BIOSPHERES was disallowed in one of my games. BIOSPHERE is not listed as a mass noun. :?
The Goatdown wordlist is not as accurate as the standard wordlist.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:BIOSPHERES was disallowed in one of my games. BIOSPHERE is not listed as a mass noun. :?
The Goatdown wordlist is not as accurate as the standard wordlist.
He means HyperCountdown.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I am really stressed because STRESSY isn't allowed. Why not?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Hmm CARLING is accepted on apterous and I've checked my ODE2r and I can't find it under CARL or CARLING or even a small CAR. Where is it or is it an error?
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Hmm CARLING is accepted on apterous and I've checked my ODE2r and I can't find it under CARL or CARLING or even a small CAR. Where is it or is it an error?
It is not even listed with the second definition of CARLINE, of which it would have been an alternative - I am tempted to say it is indeed an error.
Frank
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Frank Rodolf wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Hmm CARLING is accepted on apterous and I've checked my ODE2r and I can't find it under CARL or CARLING or even a small CAR. Where is it or is it an error?
It is not even listed with the second definition of CARLINE, of which it would have been an alternative - I am tempted to say it is indeed an error.
Hmm.... it's in CorbyDic as well, which suggests that it was found somewhere on the HTML pages of the OED website, which I no longer have access to. Alternate spelling of something maybe with no signpost?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Carling
n.
One of the short timbers running fore and aft that connect the transverse beams supporting the deck of a ship.

Whether it's allowed is another matter however.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kai Laddiman wrote:I am really stressed because STRESSY isn't allowed. Why not?
Probably because STRESS isn't listed as an adjective, only as a noun or verb.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Howard Somerset wrote:
surely MOOD (from MOODY) isn't an adjective either?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Not a Countmax error but did anybody who has the Countdown calendar notice that the conundrum yesterday, MAJORSHIP, isn't in the ODE? Oops!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Matt Morrison wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
surely MOOD (from MOODY) isn't an adjective either?
But MOODY is listed in its own right.

Having got brain into gear, ignore my previous post in this thread; I'd confused adding -Y with turning -Y into -IER and -IEST.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think it might have been mentioned before (can't be arsed to check) but I had MATTEST disallowed in the duel the other day, which I wasn't convinced with. I think I was the only one to go for it, but some went for MATTIEST (also disallowed but that didn't surprise me).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3675

Pouter was disallowed in this one (and thank you Charlie for choosing my best game to kick my arse in :p) despite the fact it's in the ODE2r.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3675

Pouter was disallowed in this one (and thank you Charlie for choosing my best game to kick my arse in :p) despite the fact it's in the ODE2r.
Cus there is no E, you muppet.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ian Volante wrote:Carling
n.
One of the short timbers running fore and aft that connect the transverse beams supporting the deck of a ship.

Whether it's allowed is another matter however.
It was listed as a variation of CARLINE (2) in the ODE 2 (as was carlin), removed for the ODE2r. The biographical entry for Will Carling was also removed, on a completely useless note.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

In fairness I generously let you come back from 99-32 to 99-60.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

Cus there is no E, you muppet.
Cock-up in the recap then. :p (which admittedly I wrote)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

TRIFECTAS should be in (hence the bug with CRAFTIEST showing up as a conundrum in Apterous.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I believe FAUXER and FAUXEST are missing.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

After seeing it disallowed in quite a few games recently on Apterous, MOHAIRS yay or nay? It's listed as a fabric, so logically should be allowed the plural? Plus the entry strongly suggests that their are different types of mohair.