Mass Noun Plurals

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Mass Noun Plurals

Post by Gavin Chipper »

D Eadie wrote:Thanks Oliver. It seems some cannot understand the process of me running with what i think's best in a professional capacity. I'll credit the non-approvers with one last benefit of my reasoning behind the OOW's slot.
Rds 6 7 8 9 are letters. So it feels natural to have a word related segment after rd 9. Rd 10 is numbers - and from time to time, this carries over into the start of P3 if Rachel is coming back with one she solved in the break.

If OOW's was after Rd 10, you get letters in 9, numbers in 10, back to words after 10, then possibly back to Rachel for more numbers solving if it carries over, then back to words for Rd 11. Its messy. That's why it's after Rd 9 and that's why it's staying there, and i was well aware of the respite factor for the contestants also. Some would prefer it after Rd 10, you, like me, prefer it after Rd 9. What am i supposed to do? Take a referendum on it and follow what everybody else thinks, or do what i think is right, which is what i'm employed for? It staggers to me to see that some think i ought to do what they say, purely because they've said it. This whole debate started with a quip from Charlie that since a suggestion had been made on this forum, you could guarantee it wouldn't be adopted. I've asked for the brainwaves that i have been accused of ignoring, yet none have been forthcoming, apparently down to the fact that its so long ago and nobody has had time to recall them.
That in itself tells me they can't have been very good if they are forgettable, but what do i know.
I think you've missed the point here. I was just pointing out that this is an idea that has been suggested and that just because you happen not to like it it doesn't make it objectively not good.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

I think your level of perception as to when something has run its course is pretty weak.
You're right in everything you say, and ever have said.
There. Isn't that better.
The End.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

D Eadie wrote:Hehe you and Gavin are masters are posting these incriminatory links when it suits, but conveniently can't find these masterpieces of ingenuity that i've cocked a snoop at for 10 years.
I never said they were good ideas! I only said there were hundreds of them. It seemed odd to me that they'd been terrible without exception. But apparently there have been some exceptions, so I'm happy to concede that point.
D Eadie wrote:And for what it's worth Charlie, even when the debate reached its most heated, i never once stopped loving you.
:lol:
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Why argue about all this stuff, Damian? You are the main man and I think it's pretty good or I would not watch it.
There are bits here and there that might be tweeked, but its only a bloody game put on between adverts aimed at the ill, the old and the gullible - or all three. I am mainly just old.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
The position of Susie's slot is a matter of preference,
I'm not sure there is a clear dividing line
Hmm, could we get a better look?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
The position of Susie's slot is a matter of preference,
Pencam?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

D Eadie wrote:I think your level of perception as to when something has run its course is pretty weak.
So next time you completely miss the point, I'll assume the discussion has run its course and I won't reply. It would make discussions with you very quick.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
The position of Susie's slot is a matter of preference

Pencam?
Oh, I didn't realise that pen was also an abbreviation.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Actually, while we're all about the good ideas, how's about making the clock actually count down?

I mean, the show's called Countdown, but the clock clearly counts up!

What's the deal with that?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Only just discovered this thread thanks to David Williams' link elsewhere. I'm surprised no one picked up Damian on this comment:
D Eadie wrote:I actually like you, don't get me wrong. I could ruffle your hair, buy you a pint and take the piss out of you at great length, of course expecting it all back along the way
I can certainly see Charlie taking the piss out of Damian; maybe even buying him a pint. Might not get very far with the hair-ruffling though.

:mrgreen:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Only just discovered this thread thanks to David Williams' link elsewhere. I'm surprised no one picked up Damian on this comment:
D Eadie wrote:I actually like you, don't get me wrong. I could ruffle your hair, buy you a pint and take the piss out of you at great length, of course expecting it all back along the way
I can certainly see Charlie taking the piss out of Damian; maybe even buying him a pint. Might not get very far with the hair-ruffling though.

:mrgreen:
:lol:

I too caught up on this thread as it happened during my more than a year's break from c4c.

Amongst some of the sniping (from all sides) that was usual in the old days, I was pleased to see that Damian managed to impart a full explanation as to the positioning of Susie's "Origin Of Words" slot. I still think it's clumsy, but at least I know why it's there.
D Eadie wrote: I'll credit the non-approvers with one last benefit of my reasoning behind the OOW's slot.
Rds 6 7 8 9 are letters. So it feels natural to have a word related segment after rd 9. Rd 10 is numbers - and from time to time, this carries over into the start of P3 if Rachel is coming back with one she solved in the break.

If OOW's was after Rd 10, you get letters in 9, numbers in 10, back to words after 10, then possibly back to Rachel for more numbers solving if it carries over, then back to words for Rd 11. Its messy. That's why it's after Rd 9 and that's why it's staying there.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Julie T wrote:I too caught up on this thread as it happened during my more than a year's break from c4c.

Amongst some of the sniping (from all sides) that was usual in the old days, I was pleased to see that Damian managed to impart a full explanation as to the positioning of Susie's "Origin Of Words" slot. I still think it's clumsy, but at least I know why it's there.
D Eadie wrote: I'll credit the non-approvers with one last benefit of my reasoning behind the OOW's slot.

If OOW's was after Rd 10, you get letters in 9, numbers in 10, back to words after 10, then possibly back to Rachel for more numbers solving if it carries over, then back to words for Rd 11. Its messy. That's why it's after Rd 9 and that's why it's staying there.
I think he likes it where it is because otherwise people would be more likely to fast forward through it. This is more of a justification than the genuine reason, I think, because it's far more messy this way and Damian knows that.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

This thread has been an interesting read. I never realised (sidereal 8-)) that there was this level of animosity (cheers Graeme) involved before I arrived.
Explains a couple of things I think.
Last edited by Andy Platt on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Andy Platt wrote:This thread has been an interesting read. I never realised (sidereal 8-)) that there was this level of anonymity involved before I arrived.
Anonymity? How do you mean?

Edit: hang on, did you mean animosity?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I think he likes it where it is because otherwise people would be more likely to fast forward through it. This is more of a justification than the genuine reason, I think, because it's far more messy this way and Damian knows that.
I agree with Damien and I don't really see what's so messy about it. And why would he care if people are fast forwarding through it anyway?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Seems as though C4C was an angrier place in the day. Let's move on, though. Let's be friends. Peace and love.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ne7fPpxAnuM
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:This thread has been an interesting read. I never realised (sidereal 8-)) that there was this level of anonymity involved before I arrived.
Anonymity? How do you mean?

Edit: hang on, did you mean animosity?
Yes. Yes I did. See this sort of thing is why I had to play so many games to get anywhere near good. I'll give the excuse that I'm at work and thinking about other stuff lol
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Mark Deeks wrote:Seems as though C4C was an angrier place in the day.
Can't think why. It's (almost) all the same people.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

We're older and wiser. :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

David Williams wrote:
Matthew Green.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Mark Deeks wrote:Seems as though C4C was an angrier place in the day. Let's move on, though. Let's be friends. Peace and love.
Matt Morrison wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Matthew Green.
Ian Volante wrote:We're older and wiser. :lol:
I agree with all of the above quotes. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: I think he likes it where it is because otherwise people would be more likely to fast forward through it. This is more of a justification than the genuine reason, I think, because it's far more messy this way and Damian knows that.
I agree with Damien and I don't really see what's so messy about it. And why would he care if people are fast forwarding through it anyway?
Quite simply, the fact that round 10 is a round of the game makes it conceptually more similar to round 9 than Susie's Origin of Words is to round 9 based on the fact that it happens to be about words. Interrupting the game is more of an interruption than interrupting the stuff that is about words. Good.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Quite simply, the fact that round 10 is a round of the game makes it conceptually more similar to round 9 than Susie's Origin of Words is to round 9 based on the fact that it happens to be about words. Interrupting the game is more of an interruption than interrupting the stuff that is about words. Good.
The game is going to be interrupted anyway with the ad break. I'm not seeing the big deal here. I personally have little interest in the OoW section but I can understand Damien's point. It certainly makes more sense than believing he puts it there so people wont fast forward it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:The game is going to be interrupted anyway with the ad break. I'm not seeing the big deal here. I personally have little interest in the OoW section but I can understand Damien's point. It certainly makes more sense than believing he puts it there so people wont fast forward it.
I think I remember Damian saying something to that effect a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:The game is going to be interrupted anyway with the ad break. I'm not seeing the big deal here. I personally have little interest in the OoW section but I can understand Damien's point. It certainly makes more sense than believing he puts it there so people wont fast forward it.
I think I remember Damian saying something to that effect a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... usie#p1410
Damian E wrote:The danger of an 'after Rd 10' position for this slot is that people at home see it as an excuse for an extended break and nip out to put the kettle on, but it deserves more than that - so its placed in a part of the show where it has more prominence.
That's what I was thinking of.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

We get it - you love symmetry.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... usie#p1410
Damian E wrote:The danger of an 'after Rd 10' position for this slot is that people at home see it as an excuse for an extended break and nip out to put the kettle on, but it deserves more than that - so its placed in a part of the show where it has more prominence.
That's what I was thinking of.
Fair enough so. I'd still be more worried that Damien likes Alter Bridge rather than where he likes to position OoW though.