Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:I had a very unusual Countdown dream earlier.
Jason Larsen wrote:I once had a dream that I went to England and saw an episode of Countdown.
You're making this shit up as you go along, aren't you Jason?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, it's not nonsense.

I have a feeling that one of these days, someone is going to get very excited if they win one of Des O'Connor's future series.'
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jason Larsen wrote:No, I like her and I think the reason why she hasn't been responding to me lately is because she has been so busy.
Do you get that response from a lot of women, Jason?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, and that's true, Martin!
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:No, I like her and I think the reason why she hasn't been responding to me lately is because she has been so busy.
Do you get that response from a lot of women, Jason?
What response?

I agree with Jason, you're all very confusing people.

George
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

George, I wanted to let Lara know that I would be sending an e-mail to the Countdown crew this month and I will try until Des reads one of mine.

I just heard from Lara today. She returned a comment from me that stated that I thought she was very sweet.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

That's great, Jason. Will you be writing another poem?

You know I was reading in the paper today that a collection of poems by the famous poet William McGonagall are being auctioned and are expected to raise from £4,500-£6,500! I think if Des doesn't read them out you should publish.

Whenever I want to write a poem I always think WWDCD?

George

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

George:

I will write a poem to Lara until I can think of something that will make Des laugh.

That will take quite a bit of time, though!
Allyssa
Location: Bed. Always bed...Okay, a bed in Derbyshire somewhere...

Post by Allyssa »

*Slinks in, slowly edging way into the limelight. Swallows pride, and goes for it...*

Hey! Watched Countdown since I was an iddy biddy girl. Avid writer, so you'd think I'd be good with words, but I'm much better at the numbers. Meh - go figure. Recently had my love of all things Countdown revived, so I'm currently on a Countdown binge. Thus I find myself here in the small hours of Sunday morning.

Also love long walks in the rain and anything colourful. :D

*...And slinks back out again, probably off to sleep somewhere...*
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

God. Is it Sunday already? Better go to bed.

Welcome anyway, Allyssa. Good to see you here. :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Allyssa!

Welcome!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Allyssa wrote:*Slinks in, slowly edging way into the limelight. Swallows pride, and goes for it...*

Hey! Watched Countdown since I was an iddy biddy girl. Avid writer, so you'd think I'd be good with words, but I'm much better at the numbers. Meh - go figure. Recently had my love of all things Countdown revived, so I'm currently on a Countdown binge. Thus I find myself here in the small hours of Sunday morning.

Hey Allyssa,

If you are on Facebook, there is a Countdown application you can add and play Countdown non stop :D.
Allyssa

Post by Allyssa »

Joseph Bolas wrote: Hey Allyssa,

If you are on Facebook, there is a Countdown application you can add and play Countdown non stop :D.
Sadly, me and Facebook have a somewhat turbulent past. Meaning: me mashing the keyboard in sheer frustration. It took me a good year to figure out MySpace, it seems I'll be the same with Facebook! :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Allyssa wrote:*Slinks in, slowly edging way into the limelight. Swallows pride, and goes for it...*

Hi and welcome to the site that hosts all the vagaries that our beloved Countdown has to offer.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Allyssa wrote:

Sadly, me and Facebook have a somewhat turbulent past. Meaning: me mashing the keyboard in sheer frustration. It took me a good year to figure out MySpace, it seems I'll be the same with Facebook! :)
I didn't like MySpace meself, so I went onto Facebook instead :). Is there a Countdown application in MySpace?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Allyssa wrote:

I didn't like MySpace meself, so I went onto Facebook instead :). Is there a Countdown application in MySpace?
Myspace doesn't really have much in the way of applications or fun things to do- certainly not on the level of the crap you find on facebook. Though a while back it was home to the 'official Conor Travers appreciation society'.
Allyssa

Post by Allyssa »

Ben Wilson wrote:Myspace doesn't really have much in the way of applications or fun things to do- certainly not on the level of the crap you find on facebook. Though a while back it was home to the 'official Conor Travers appreciation society'.
Yes, Myspace is a little...boring. Facebook certainly does sound much more interesting, so I really do keep trying to get to grips with it. I don't even have any friends there yet, no one I know uses Facebook. :cry: I'll get there, I really will.

The only good thing about Myspace was my rather snow-themed profile page.

*plods of to Facebook to try and figure it all out...*
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I used to have Facebook but deactivated my account because I didn't want any further part in the rampant narcissism that it tends to promote. It's too 'Hey, look at all these pictures of me, I'm doing something crazy! Now I'm screaming, now I'm pulling a stupid face! Haha, but everyone else is doing it, so this validates me! Now let me list 25 different bands that I like, and let me tell you every little detail about me because I am pretending to myself that you are actually interested! Lol!' for my liking.
Allyssa

Post by Allyssa »

Haha! Yeah, that about sums up some Facebook users. If you printed the pictures off and put them together, you'd have a flickbook of their life, pretty much.

Not that you'd want to waste the ink... ¬.¬
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Allyssa wrote:Haha! Yeah, that about sums up some Facebook users. If you printed the pictures off and put them together, you'd have a flickbook of their life, pretty much.

Some people do tend to put 100's of photos on Facebook, but I am one of these people who doesn't like what they see when they get photographed, so there is only 15 pictures of me on Facebook :lol:, all of which are Countdown based :oops:.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Allyssa wrote:Haha! Yeah, that about sums up some Facebook users. If you printed the pictures off and put them together, you'd have a flickbook of their life, pretty much.

Some people do tend to put 100's of photos on Facebook, but I am one of these people who doesn't like what they see when they get photographed, so there is only 15 pictures of me on Facebook :lol:, all of which are Countdown based :oops:.
Even though you did make me remove that photo of you on the phone, wuss.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:Even though you did make me remove that photo of you on the phone, wuss.
I didn't like it as it looked weird IMO. I am just too self-conscious :oops:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I didn't like it as it looked weird IMO. I am just too self-conscious :oops:
I don't think that can be the reason, otherwise why would you have that god-awful picture of yourself next to all your posts?

Edit to eye Allyssa suspiciously :twisted:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Richard Brittain wrote:I used to have Facebook but deactivated my account because I didn't want any further part in the rampant narcissism that it tends to promote. It's too 'Hey, look at all these pictures of me, I'm doing something crazy! Now I'm screaming, now I'm pulling a stupid face! Haha, but everyone else is doing it, so this validates me! Now let me list 25 different bands that I like, and let me tell you every little detail about me because I am pretending to myself that you are actually interested! Lol!' for my liking.
Good post. I don't have a Facebook account. Well I did make up an account under a false name just to have a look around but I've never used it for anything.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:I used to have Facebook but deactivated my account because I didn't want any further part in the rampant narcissism that it tends to promote. It's too 'Hey, look at all these pictures of me, I'm doing something crazy! Now I'm screaming, now I'm pulling a stupid face! Haha, but everyone else is doing it, so this validates me! Now let me list 25 different bands that I like, and let me tell you every little detail about me because I am pretending to myself that you are actually interested! Lol!' for my liking.
Good post. I don't have a Facebook account. Well I did make up an account under a false name just to have a look around but I've never used it for anything.
c4c's two biggest social deformities share a negative view of social network Facebook. Shocker.
Gevin-Gavin wrote:Well I did make up an account under a false name
Well that just doesn't sound like the sort of thing you would do at all mate!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I didn't like it as it looked weird IMO. I am just too self-conscious :oops:
I don't think that can be the reason, otherwise why would you have that god-awful picture of yourself next to all your posts?
I admit my avatar picture is not that good but it is better than the one of me on the mobile.
joeldavey

Post by joeldavey »

Hello everyone!

I appeared on Countdown back in 2000. I had green hair and the dictionary corner celebrity (Don Black) didn't really like me.

Anyway, for those of you who are interested in Countdown memorabilia, i'm selling my winner's teapot on ebay. Sacrelige I know. it's in mint condition so check it out if you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0256505188

Cheers,

Joel
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

joeldavey wrote:Anyway, for those of you who are interested in Countdown memorabilia, i'm selling my winner's teapot on ebay.
Nice.

Do you plan on contributing anything else, or are you just going to use this place to post personal advertisements?
joeldavey

Post by joeldavey »

Nice.

Do you plan on contributing anything else, or are you just going to use this place to post personal advertisements?
Hi Corby,

I probably will contribute more to this site, although I'm not able to watch Countdown any more as I work til 6. I love the show though and would be well up for doing one of those Countdown events. I'm a decent player, but it has been a while (Series 42 was when I appeared).

Cheers
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

joeldavey wrote:I probably will contribute more to this site, although I'm not able to watch Countdown any more as I work til 6.
Haha, congratulations on a very civil reply to my very provocative one :twisted:

Fair play ;)

Sky+ the show though, that's what I do :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Hi,
I'm Jimmy Gough and will probably apply to go on the show now that i have finished my exams. I think this website is excellent and also the practice on countdown corral. I'm not a great player but will practice a lot and am fairly confident i could get on to the show (but probably not win). I would like to enter the online tournaments, perhaps it's too late....
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jimmy wrote:Hi,
I'm Jimmy Gough and will probably apply to go on the show now that i have finished my exams. I think this website is excellent and also the practice on countdown corral. I'm not a great player but will practice a lot and am fairly confident i could get on to the show (but probably not win). I would like to enter the online tournaments, perhaps it's too late....
Welcome Jimmy,

The next online tournament is COOT '08, details of which, can be found here. I believe you have at least until the 22nd June to put your name down :).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Jimmy!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm from Seattle, Washington in the US. I became interested in Countdown at first by watching clips on Youtube, and now I am a member of a website called UK Nova. On this website, a member posts every week's worth of Countdown episodes in torrent form and I download them.

Where are you from, and what do you like to do?

I hope you enjoy your time here!
John Tuttle

Post by John Tuttle »

Hi all.

I watch the show, and that's pretty much it. Not a lot more to tell.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

John Tuttle wrote:Hi all.

I watch the show, and that's pretty much it. Not a lot more to tell.
I too am here as a viewer.
Welcome to this forum John. I hope you find it enjoyable and interesting.
John Tuttle

Post by John Tuttle »

Thanks.

I'm not great with introductions, I just never really know what to say.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Hi All,

My name is Lee and no doubt some of you have seen my shows which have recently gone out. Unfortunately, after winning 3 shows I suffered the ignominy of being beaten by a footballer. Contrary to my performances on the show, the numbers game was and probably will always be my strong point, however for some reason I was not able to perform at my best when it counted. Can any other contestants relate to feeling more pressure on the numbers rounds as opposed to the letters rounds or is it just me?

My experience was slightly blighted by the fact that I was all set to record my fourth show the morning after my previous wins(I was actually sitting in the chair alongside my opponent), when Andy the floor manager informed us that CV had been ill that morning(this was Friday 13th!) and that the filming had to be cancelled. Perhaps I would have fared better had I faced my original opponent!

Anyway, overall I enjoyed my time at YTV and I will look forward to reading everyone's topics now that I have found this forum.

Best regards

Lee
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Welcome Lee, and well done on your 3 victories. I'm sure plenty on here can empathise with the pressure felt on the numbers - I believe the topic was raised on the old forum with plenty of contributors agreeing. You certainly had some terrible letters rounds to contend with too.

Hope you enjoy the 'friendly banter' on here, and maybe you'll join some of the madness that is online MSN countdown sometime too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi Lee and welcome!

Enjoyed watching you, and congratulations on your three victories. If you dig around a little bit elsewhere you'll probably find that I said I hoped old Neil "Slurms" MacKenzie would win, so sorry about that!

Utterly agree with what you said about the numbers though, I was on a couple of years ago, and while I wouldn't say that numbers were my strength, I would say that I was "good" at them. I never usually write anything down either, so the panic of trying to do mental arithmetic and get something legible written down in the 30 seconds I would say my performance level of "good" was slightly downgraded to "shithouse". I take my hat off to people who pick 6 small, and especially people like Matt Shore (IIRC) who picked a whole variety of different selections during his run.

Oh, and hi to John and Jimmy too :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hello to all our new members -- there's been rather a lot of you lately, sorry to be so impersonal. Enjoy your time here!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Hi Jason and others and thanks for the welcome - I live in Eastbourne (south east) and hobbies include football and tennis, i used to play both but not so much now. I've just finished GCSEs and thought i might appear on the show but i'm not so sure now... yeah i don't really know what to say but perhaps i'll post on here if i can be bothered; it's good having so many contestants on here and i like hearing what they have to say and maybe enter the msn tournaments if that's ok :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy wrote:maybe enter the msn tournaments if that's ok :D
We'd be very pleased to have you. Watch the Events forum for news of upcoming tournaments.
Ken MacKenzie

Post by Ken MacKenzie »

Hi. Just found this forum a day or two ago and I have plucked up the courage to join. I'm currently living in Co Donegal in Ireland (not that far from David O'Donnell.) I try to watch Countdown every day (one of the great benefits of Sky+ is that I can watch it any time I like and I can fast forward the ads and the "filling".)

A few times I've got as far as filling my name in on the application form but it's never found its way to a post box yet :cry:

Really enjoyed the last series, I really felt for David when it looked like he was just about to be beaten in the semi-final.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Jimmy wrote:Hi Jason and others and thanks for the welcome - I live in Eastbourne (south east) and hobbies include football and tennis, i used to play both but not so much now. I've just finished GCSEs and thought i might appear on the show but i'm not so sure now... yeah i don't really know what to say but perhaps i'll post on here if i can be bothered; it's good having so many contestants on here and i like hearing what they have to say and maybe enter the msn tournaments if that's ok :D
Your like my double Jimmy! I, too, have just finished my GCSES, my hobbies are predominantly footy and tennis but the differences being that I have appeared on the show, I am from the north-west and am probably much better looking :mrgreen: .
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Ken MacKenzie wrote:Hi. Just found this forum a day or two ago and I have plucked up the courage to join.
Welcome Ken. I hope you enjoy this forum. Perhaps we will see you on the programme one day.
Jason Witcher

Post by Jason Witcher »

Hello all, I'm Jason and I was on series 42 back in February 2000, where I achieved the dubious distinction of chalking up the highest losing score of the series (62 in the days of the 30 minute game; any other day, etc etc), although I console myself with the fact that I got beaten by the number 1 seed... We tied on every round up to the conundrum, after which I had to endure months of smart-arse comments at work about allotments...
Now I watch whenever I can - I work shifts so if I'm not in work I generally plonk myself on the sofa for the Countdown/DOND double header. I always seem to miss the start, which is sort of why I'm here - I missed all of Neil Mackenzie's intros and was wondering which team he played for - one thing led to another and I decided to sign up here.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

He plays for Notts County, Jason ;)
Jason Witcher

Post by Jason Witcher »

jasoncullen wrote:He plays for Notts County, Jason ;)
Thanks, but I had already found that out - I wasn't even sure of his name, so went to 'The Countdown Page', but that hasn't been updated for this series yet, however they had a link to the Countdown Corral, where I found his name out, Googled it and found a telegraph.co.uk and a BBC Sport feature. I vaguely recalled some mention of Scunthorpe on one of his programs, which is who he used to play for. That's the internet for you - if this had been 20 years ago not only would I have not been able to find out who he played for, I wouldn't have been able to bore everyone silly with how I found out... :)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Glad you have joined us Jason. I was Ballheimer's first victim, and I remember you from filming - although I don't think you arrived until after my initial victory and subsequent defeat had been completed? I'd left before your show was done, but can still remember watching it at home feeling frightfully sorry for you, and suspecting I'd have fallen short of 8 wins even if I hadn't cocked-up on show #2. Perhaps we'll have a chance to play one day after all! :)
Jason Witcher

Post by Jason Witcher »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:Glad you have joined us Jason. I was Ballheimer's first victim, and I remember you from filming - although I don't think you arrived until after my initial victory and subsequent defeat had been completed? I'd left before your show was done, but can still remember watching it at home feeling frightfully sorry for you, and suspecting I'd have fallen short of 8 wins even if I hadn't cocked-up on show #2. Perhaps we'll have a chance to play one day after all! :)
Ballheimer's first victim.. makes him sound like a murderer (the octokiller?) :)
I remember in the dressing room he was worried about coming up against you, as you were younger he thought you were some sort of 'boy wonder'! I think your first game must have been the first of the day, which I didn't see - I saw him knock you out, then watched the next two with increasing dread as it became apparent I'd have to face him... When the series was shown I played along with the games after mine and worked out that if I'd beaten him I'd have probably got another 3 or 4, although that said it's a lot easier at home than in the studio!
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Hi everybody.

I am an oldie watching it since day one. My main claim to fame in the countdown world is being Kirks dad. :D I hope you don't hold that against me though. I used to beat him regularly but now if I win against him check for a blue moon! :) Sill love the game though.

Keith
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Welcome, Keith, welcome, Lee, welcome, Jason #3, welcome, everyone!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Keith Bevins wrote:Hi everybody.

I am an oldie watching it since day one. My main claim to fame in the countdown world is being Kirks dad. :D I hope you don't hold that against me though. I used to beat him regularly but now if I win against him check for a blue moon! :) Sill love the game though.
Welcome Keith, nice to have you here. Maybe we should have some kind of parent/child team event with Kirk & Keith Bevins, Jon & Chris Corby, Gary & Sandra Male and Jon & David Stitcher.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe we should have some kind of parent/child team event with Kirk & Keith Bevins, Jon & Chris Corby, Gary & Sandra Male and Jon & David Stitcher.
Neb's mother has been known to dabble as well, hasn't she? Didn't she play at the CoLin I attended?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe we should have some kind of parent/child team event with Kirk & Keith Bevins, Jon & Chris Corby, Gary & Sandra Male and Jon & David Stitcher.
Neb's mother has been known to dabble as well, hasn't she? Didn't she play at the CoLin I attended?
Only after much pleading.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That would be nice!
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Hey Guys, Dan Peake here - back from the US after a far-too-long period of studying abroad. And a very fine one she was too.

Just thought I'd pop round and say hello - I'm words-escape-me-as-to-how-broke-I-am broke, so I won't be at CoNot or CoLei.

Dan Peake
Series 54 Quarter Finalist
messenger@danielpeake.com <- new messenger address.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Dan! There you are! Welcome, welcome! Sorry for the Bruce Forsyth reference there!

Are you the one who has been a contestant on the UK version of The Weakest Link, and Countdown when Des Lynam was the host?

If you're the person I think you are, you have also seen the US version of Wheel of Fortune. By the way, there is a huge change coming to that version this fall!

Case in point, your name sounds familiar. Please assure me!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Welcome back Dan mate. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Hey Daniel :D

Welcome to the forum :D