Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: Welcome!

Post by David O'Donnell »

Michael wrote:My name is Michael Macdonald-Cooper, and I appeared in the current series in early January. I am a retired crossword editor (The Independent, The Independent on Sunday, Oxford Today) living in Kirriemuir, Angus. I have also been a crossword setter appearing in the above publications, and in The Listener, The Times, The Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday under a variety of pseudonyms. Many years ago I won the Times Crossword Championship, and was even longer ago the winner of The Observer's Oxford Superbrain competition (i.e. champion solver of Azed crosswords). I have appeared on television's Mastermind (in the days of Magnus Magnusson), and on Brain of Britain (three or four times) on the wireless (the choice of vocabulary here offering a cryptic clue to my age).

Great to have you on this forum Michael. I thoroughly enjoyed watching your games, particularly the two which I recapped for Corral. I have to type that they were still talking about what a gent you are and what a good run you had when it came to my shows being recorded.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Hi
My name is Chris Corby and, co-incidentally, have the same surname as one of the most famous Countdown Series' semi-finalists of all time.
I watched the first edition of Countdown (live, not on YouTube last week) and have seen as many episodes as work allowed over the years.
Now I am retired (very early it has to be said) I see it every day via the HDD recorder so that I can fast forward the guest in dictionary corner's bit to camera at the end of Part One (with the exceptions of Paul Zenon and Phil Hammond).
This has been a great series so far with Michael M-C as a superior octochamp and, currently, that David O'D isn't doing badly either.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hey Dad.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gary Male's mum used to be a member. We could have a "bring your parent" day at Colin 2009. That would be awesome.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Corby wrote:Hey Dad.
Drat! I knew I should have disguised my name. I used to post, rather infrequently, on the Yahoo site under an assumed name but my wayward son never realised who I was even though there was a big clue at one time. :D However Soo this forum is a great improvement on the Yahoo site and well done for that! At least I shouldn't get 20 email messages a day now on here on how to make my thingy 8 times bigger :oops:
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

So this is where it's all happening now.

Hope its a success.

D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:At least I shouldn't get 20 email messages a day now on here on how to make my thingy 8 times bigger :oops:
Mum'll give up eventually.

Hi Damian! :D
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Wow! They are really putting the fun back into dysfunctionalism at the Corby household.
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Hello, my name is Ray Folwell. I'm an armchair Countdown player and lurker and occasional poster in this forum. I'm not really good enough at the game to enter, but I particularly enjoy the numbers game and various Countdown trivia.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Hi

I'm Karen Pearson. I was on Series 53 but was completely rubbish and got anihilated by series semi-finalist Richard Heald (who was lovely!). Like Stuart Earl, I voted against this type of forum but, not wishing to be a dinosaur, I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

I've been a fan of Countdown since the very first programme although I missed a few years while I had a 'proper' job. I'm now a self-employed market researcher and watch Countdown either during a mid-afternoon break from work or while at the gym. I play badminton and golf, love quizzes, cooking and dancing. I also speak French and Spanish.

I don't think there's much more to say of interest except that I hope to make it to CoLei later t his year.

Regards

Karen
Adam Porter
Rookie

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Adam Porter »

Hello

I'm Adam, and I've just found this thread. I'm one of the rare people who watched not only the first edition of Countdown, but the second too. I was very young at the time. I watch relatively little now, thanks to Des O'Connor. I'm not good enough to even think about applying, but I have done more than 100 Wednesday recaps. By day (and often by night too) I'm a journalist.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I'm Martin Smith, I was a contestant last Monday, losing 62-92 to David. I've been watching on and off for years, but really got hooked the last 4 years or so. I'm the guy who did all the charity work, I should've mentioned the furniture redistribution charity, especially after the first Teatime Teaser was 'landfill'. I'm currently looking for work, having largely recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Julian wrote:Hello, I'm Julian, series 48 champion, 23 years old now. In terms of online Countdown, I'm doing a 'Bjorn Borg', returning after a very long time out of the loop. I hope my own comeback will be a bit more successful...
Funnily enough, I thought of Borg before coming up with Cruyff in that sports stars thread.

Anyway, I'm Matthew and I was on just before Dino and Craig in series 57 winning 4 games against modest opposition before crashing out to similarly modest opposition. Got some good numbers games but missed some easy 9s and some even easier conundrums. Having got involved in this murky underworld Countdown scene and watching the winners each day I am now a lot better than before and would love another go- if Sky or anyone ever buys out the show, will everyone be able to re-apply? Imagine the first series!

As I'm a huge countdown fan but not a great player, coming on this forum with the likes of Conor, Craig, David etc and now Julian is a bit surreal. Almost like a Liverpool fan going on to a fans forum and chatting with Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

Hello!

I used to watch Countdown religiously as a child but was forced to abandon those letters and numbers after moving away from the UK. Through the magic of the internet, I've recently become reacquainted with this brilliant show after a painfully long (10+ years) separation. Someone on YouTube has started uploading the shows regularly (or had been), so thanks to MonsieurCountdown I've been able to watch some of Michael McDonald-Cooper's games! (And I must agree with others Michael, that you are a very likeable octochamp.)
Right now I can't get enough of Countdown, and have spent far too many hours on countdownwiki and The Countdown Page. I'm so obsessed at the moment that I'm even considering moving back to the UK so I can be a contestant haha... (and I'm absolutely e-starstruck at all the Countdown greats here on this forum.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi!

I would have posted here sooner, but I had been having some Internet problems.

I should catch up on "Countdown." I hope someone here became an octochamp. I hope Des O'Connor is still shining.

Most American game shows are not as intellectual as "Countdown."

I think "Countdown" is a great game, and I really enjoy it!

It's nice to be back here, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Hello,
I'm George (but my little blue sign says Michael).
I can't spell very well and get confused by numbers but I like countdown.

George
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Hi! I'm Malcolm and i've been watching the programme since about 1998. No great ambitions to go on the show though.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Hi fellow countdowners,
My name is jason cullen and you might have seen me win 4 games back in december 2007 until I came unstuck against Gayle Smith in the first show of the new year. I am 16 years old and come from Bolton and I am currently studying for my GCSE's in May :o I've always been a huge fan of the show even at a young age and I try never to miss an episode.
So i look forward to challenging myself against fellow past contestants and hopefully meeting new friends within the Countdown community :)

Jason
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jason, welcome from another Jason.

I watch Countdown every week offline on my computer on a website called UK Nova. This year, I have made a habit out of downloading it weekly. So, you were the first contestant I saw on Countdown on a regular basis.

You were doing very well until you got stopped by Gayle Smith, who herself did extremely well until she ran out of steam and lost her third game.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy posting here!
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Thankyou for the kind remarks fellow Jason. By the way, do they have Countdown or anything similar in the United States?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

They had tried to Americanize Countdown back in 1985, but the pilot was scrapped for being too intellectual.

Jason Larsen
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Hi,
I'm Nick Wainwright, winner of series 56 in June 2007. I'm 26 and live in London.
I was a regular lurker, but only occassional poster on the previous countdown forum, and will probably continue to be the same on this much improved platform!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Nick!

You are another person whose championship victory I had watched. In fact, it was Des O'Connor's first, wasn't it?

I want to apologize for going on and on about how well you've done on the previous Countdown mailing list. I have since learned how to type in a calmer tone.

Again, congratulations on winning Des O'Connor's first series. I'm quite happy for you.
Bryan Conlan

Post by Bryan Conlan »

Hello. I'm Bryan Conlan, 24 years old, and have been watching since 1991, though didn't watch from about 2000-early 2002. For many years I revered Chris Waddington, and his two games with Robert Teuton are still among my favourite games - and are sentimentally my two favourite games - in all the time I've been watching the show. On the other hand, his loss to Andrew Perry in the supreme championships in 1996 was one of the most disappointing for me, as I had a strange dislike towards the young man, at least partially because I remember finding him very smug. If I'm to be honest, there may well also have been a tinge of resentment as he was only a year older than me when he became a contestant, and I can't deny that he was mostly better than I was at that point.

As much as I enjoy the show, I can't see myself ever applying to be a contestant. Even if I got past the audition stages, I just don't believe I would respond remotely well to the pressures of playing in a televised game. Between the pressure of playing a meaningful game, playing in front of a studio audience, studio conditions probably making me feel uncomfortable, and the knowledge that the game would eventually be seen by an audience of millions, I suspect any ability to concentrate I have would be obliterated. Even as a kid when I used to dream about going on the show, I knew I wouldn't have the confidence. Something within me would have to change for me to apply, and it's not happened in the last 17 or so years.

I also go by the name of MonsieurCountdown on youtube, where I have been uploading videos of every game from this series, on a 2-3 week delay (I intended for it to be 2, but right now it's a little over 3). Hopefully nobody on this forum is overly upset at knowing their game(s) are out there for people to view - at least you all had the courage to apply, which is far more than I can say! It was from talking to the exceedingly courteous - not to mention modest - David O'Donnell there that I decided to join up to this forum. I doubt I'll contribute much, but it looks very good, and I'm enjoying some of the humourous banter.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

You are most welcome, Bryan. I daresay you will revise your opinions on my courteous and modest nature :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi Bryan, and welcome.

Not that it'll change your mind, but despite your reservations I'd still go for it if I were you. I don't think you'll find many people who have been on and said "nah, I wish I hadn't done that, what a waste of time". It's just great fun. It really is.
Even the audition is enjoyable!
Bryan Conlan

Post by Bryan Conlan »

Oh, I don't doubt for a second it's great fun. I've read about the positive experiences other people have had on the show, and I reckon I would wind up having a lot of fun if I applied, meeting plenty of witty, humourous and pleasant people (mind you, I'd feel sorry for those I talked to). And if there was somehow a way to play without having to worry about anything other than trying to spot the best solutions possible, I would jump at the chance.

But I really am a very insecure person, and as soon as I know there is attention of any kind on me, I seem to struggle. To give an idea of what I'm talking about, I used to really enjoy playing the clarinet. Back in my first year of secondary school I was asked to give a quick playing demonstration to my fellow classmates. I was given a tune to play that was ridiculously simple (yankee doodle), and would normally have laughed at the idea of struggling with it. But as I was playing in front of an audience - even a meagre one of about 25 people, many of whom didn't even look at me such was their disinterest - I managed to make a mistake, and was struggling to keep on going throughout. To give perhaps an even greater idea of what I'm talking about, I have a hard enough time lighting an oven if I know that someone else is in the same room and has their attention focused on me, even if it's a family member that I've known my entire life.

If I can become so unsettled with attention on that small a scale, I can't see things improving with attention on a far greater level. But if I can ever overcome my inhibitions (at least somewhat), then I will definitely apply.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Bryan Conlan wrote: give a quick playing demonstration to my fellow classmates. I was given a tune to play that was ridiculously simple (yankee doodle), and would normally have laughed at the idea of struggling with it. But as I was playing in front of an audience - even a meagre one of about 25 people, many of whom didn't even look at me such was their disinterest - I managed to make a mistake, and was struggling to keep on going throughout. To give perhaps an even greater idea of what I'm talking about, I have a hard enough time lighting an oven if I know that someone else is in the same room and has their attention focused on me, even if it's a family member that I've known my entire life.
I play a little classical guitar, Bryan, and have suffered from stage-fright many times to the extent that it has rendered me unable to play.I would have to argue, though, that it's an entirely different discipline. The trembling, greasy-palmed uneasiness that is the ruin of a good instrumental performance doesn't really impact as much on the Countdown front. I would say that I performed slightly worse on TV and no more. Also, there are certain words I got that were down to the adrenaline. We're not here to bully you into it either ;) My advice is to join in with the online games and tourneys that we do over msn, you'll find them quite nerve-racking at first. Also, you'll get the chance to encounter Countdown legends like Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Paul Howe etc (but best of all, Jon Corby, who is a legend). I would make up my mind after playing a few games first. The guys behind the scenes are great at helping out nervous contestants too.
Bryan Conlan

Post by Bryan Conlan »

David O'Donnell wrote:I play a little classical guitar, Bryan, and have suffered from stage-fright many times to the extent that it has rendered me unable to play.I would have to argue, though, that it's an entirely different discipline. The trembling, greasy-palmed uneasiness that is the ruin of a good instrumental performance doesn't really impact as much on the Countdown front. I would say that I performed slightly worse on TV and no more. Also, there are certain words I got that were down to the adrenaline. We're not here to bully you into it either ;) My advice is to join in with the online games and tourneys that we do over msn, you'll find them quite nerve-racking at first. Also, you'll get the chance to encounter Countdown legends like Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Paul Howe etc (but best of all, Jon Corby, who is a legend). I would make up my mind after playing a few games first. The guys behind the scenes are great at helping out nervous contestants too.
You are quite right about the disciplines involved in an instrumental performance and playing Countdown being entirely different. Perhaps I made a poor choice in the example I gave in that regard. However, the point I'd intended to make was that things in which I am normally proficient (or at least competent), I tend to struggle with when I have focus placed upon me. Be it playing the clarinet, giving verbal responses (descriptions, answers to questions, etc), or thinking about exam questions (not even trying to write something down, just the ability to think about a question), when I am aware there is attention of some sort on me, any ability to focus just seems to be largely diminished, or evaporates entirely.

Obviously having never encountered the Countdown experience, I cannot say for sure that I would be affected in the same way if I were to apply. I just have quite a hard time believing that the effect wouldn't be at least similar.

And thank you David for the (as of yet ;) ) continued courteousness you've shown me. Thanks to you as well Corby for welcoming me, and I just want to add that a good many of your posts are highly entertaining.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Bryan Conlan wrote:Obviously having never encountered the Countdown experience, I cannot say for sure that I would be affected in the same way if I were to apply. I just have quite a hard time believing that the effect wouldn't be at least similar.
Well I guess it'll affect everybody in different ways, so there's only one way to find out ;)

I'm a nightmare too though at any kind of public performance. If I have to do a presentation at work, even if it's just to a few people that I know well, I turn into a sweating stammering mess, so I had reservations similar to yours. I just found it different though, you kind of forget that you're on a TV show, and it's just.... well.... fun :)
Bryan Conlan wrote:And thank you David for the (as of yet ;) ) continued courteousness you've shown me. Thanks to you as well Corby for welcoming me, and I just want to add that a good many of your posts are highly entertaining.
You're welcome. Er, again. When you say that "a good many of my posts are highly entertaining", you're referring to the fact that the remainder are enlightening and informative like this one, right? Not that they're shit?
Bryan Conlan

Post by Bryan Conlan »

Corby wrote:Well I guess it'll affect everybody in different ways, so there's only one way to find out ;)

I'm a nightmare too though at any kind of public performance. If I have to do a presentation at work, even if it's just to a few people that I know well, I turn into a sweating stammering mess, so I had reservations similar to yours. I just found it different though, you kind of forget that you're on a TV show, and it's just.... well.... fun :)
Nice to see there isn't the slightest suggestion that I try to apply. I wasn't quite sure that would be the case.

I'll keep in mind what's been said though, and maybe one day see if I can gather up my nerves and go for it, as if I didn't there probably would always be a part of me that would regret it. That said, now would not be that time, since I'm still very much suffering the effects of post-viral fatigue syndrome, which was diagnosed in 2004. I know Martin Smith was affected by something along the same lines, though I'm very glad to hear he has now largely recovered.
Corby wrote:
Bryan Conlan wrote:And thank you David for the (as of yet ;) ) continued courteousness you've shown me. Thanks to you as well Corby for welcoming me, and I just want to add that a good many of your posts are highly entertaining.
You're welcome. Er, again. When you say that "a good many of my posts are highly entertaining", you're referring to the fact that the remainder are enlightening and informative like this one, right? Not that they're shit?
What, all of them?! I mean, obviously that is what I'm referring to, yes....

Or, to put it another way, "a good many of your posts are highly entertaining" :lol:
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Dear Bryan (a.k.a. monsieur countdown),
I'd like to thank you for putting my 5th game against gayle smith on youtube. I am very grateful because I actually missed my 5th show in the new year because I was on holiday over christmas. Although, it didn't make comfortable viewing for me! Anyway, welcome on board and trust me the studio audience are not that intimidating and you should go on the show. Ask any past contestant if you don't believe me about the studio audience? At first, I was dreading being on tv because I was scared all my mates would laugh and mock me! But at the end of the day, I just thought I don't care what other kids think of me or say about me and so just went through with it, and, when all the school found out, they were really pleased for me and there were no sly jibes or mockery. GO FOR IT!!! :D
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

I'm Jennifer Turner like it says somewhere round here, I have never been on Countdown and have no wish to be, and I actually hate pretty much everything about Countdown apart from the game itself. And even then I don't agree with some of the rules and amend them accordingly. American spellings are always welcome at my place.

I write a lot of rubbish for http://www.ukgameshows.com and hate sudoku, frozen mash, detox, loan sharks, the Daily Mirror and the phrase "75 times table".
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

What a lovely introduction.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Shush Corby, it's a girl!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ginger Jono wrote:Shush Corby, it's a girl!
Lol, I'm usually very suspicious of "girls" on the internet.

But, she appears to have PMT and exhibits insane jealousy towards Carol Vorderman, so I'm prepared to go with this one ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hello again, everyone!

I was told to post in this forum every time I come back from a long absence, so I thought I would tell you all that I'm back now.

The reason why I left is because I just came back to work last week.

My name is Jason Larsen. I like US and UK game shows, going places, talking to people and being conventional.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jason Larsen wrote:Hello again, everyone!

I was told to post in this forum every time I come back from a long absence, so I thought I would tell you all that I'm back now.

The reason why I left is because I just came back to work last week.

My name is Jason Larsen. I like US and UK game shows, going places, talking to people and being conventional.
I don't think that Charlie really means for you to announce your return here every time, Jason.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

David, I'm not sure what he means.
lesliebutt

Post by lesliebutt »

Hi I have been a countdown viewer from day one and a member of most groups on yahoo etc have taken part in on line competitions under the name lesatdav my real name is Leslie Butterworth but I shorten it for all Internet purposes to my web site name. Was honored to have my name read out by Richard on one show still have the tape. I suppose a bit of an anorak have thought of applying to contest but with an aging mother to care for maybe in the future. Like to read posts don't make many but am honest conscientious and will cause no trouble. Still a member and past moderator of Susie's group on yahoo no longer really active. Well that is probably enough for now hope the new group is a success.
Cheers LB
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jason Larsen wrote:David, I'm not sure what he means.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are Jason?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am 21, Martin.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer Turner wrote:I write a lot of rubbish for http://www.ukgameshows.com and hate sudoku, frozen mash, detox, loan sharks, the Daily Mirror and the phrase "75 times table".
I see you've also started littering the wiki with your green-eyed anti-Carol-isms, you bitter little woman.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Corby wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:I write a lot of rubbish for http://www.ukgameshows.com and hate sudoku, frozen mash, detox, loan sharks, the Daily Mirror and the phrase "75 times table".
I see you've also started littering the wiki with your green-eyed anti-Carol-isms, you bitter little woman.
You can edit it back, you lazy git.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

I can't even think of what Corby's on about. I suggested she was rubbish on Strictly Come Dancing (and even she says that) and as far as I can remember, that's all.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jennifer Turner wrote:I can't even think of what Corby's on about. I suggested she was rubbish on Strictly Come Dancing (and even she says that) and as far as I can remember, that's all.
Yes you did, on a page about somebody else, thus making it a pretty irrelevant dig. You can't be public about your loathing for somebody and then pass off such things as being a little joke.

Well actually, you can. You can do what the hell you like. We're through.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Hello all. I'm Ross Allatt - I used to be slackdad38/39 etc on the Yahoo account. I couldn't access that from work so my contributions and appearances diminished latterly, but I'm delighted to say that I can get on here OK, so should be around a bit more.

For those who don't know me, I was an Octochamp and losing Quarter Finalist in 2005 in what turned out to be RW's last series. I attended COLIN in 2006 and haven't entirely abandoned hope of negotiating another CO- gathering in the future. For some time I was a reviewer.

I live in Manchester, I'm married with three kids (8,6 & 2). Other interests are running (just completed my fifth half marathon, having taken it up late 2005), music, football (I'm a Red), cricket & golf.
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ross Allatt wrote:I'm married with three kids (8,6 & 2).
Unusual names.

Welcome Ross :toppa: ;)
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Hello,
I am Kate Horton, one of the APs (aka Damian's Bitches) on Countdown.
I have been with the production team since May '07 and am often quoted as saying it's better than a proper job. This is true.
I have met some of you more recent contestants (including Michael and David - what a great final we've got with them two) - so hello to you all and hope you had fun in Leeds.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

KateHorton wrote:Hello,
I am Kate Horton, one of the APs (aka Damian's Bitches) on Countdown.
I have been with the production team since May '07 and am often quoted as saying it's better than a proper job. This is true.
I have met some of you more recent contestants (including Michael and David - what a great final we've got with them two) - so hello to you all and hope you had fun in Leeds.

Hi Kate! Welcome to the site, so your days as a 'lurker' are over? ;)
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Hi David,
Yes. Thought I would join in the fun rather than just watch it alone from a darkened room...(or the office, if Damian isn't around) We're in studio tomorrow and have 33 heat games to record before the finals begin. So see you in May!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Kate!

Welcome to the forum!

It's a wonder how Damian went from being a great contestant on Countdown to being executive producer.

I'm also wondering if Alan Hawkshaw composed the newer arrangement of Countdown's theme song when he became executive producer.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

KateHorton wrote:Hi David,
Yes. Thought I would join in the fun rather than just watch it alone from a darkened room...(or the office, if Damian isn't around) We're in studio tomorrow and have 33 heat games to record before the finals begin. So see you in May!
What fun? It's bordering on the disturbed in here.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Ignore Damian. He's ahving a bad hair day.
Damian is series producer not exec producer and Alan H has never been exec producer...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi Kate.

Dave's told me a lot about you ;)

If Kate is short for Katherine, which I'm guessing it is, your name is an anagram of "ninth rate hooker" :)
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Hello R Nob Jocy,
I am Katie not Katherine - thank goodness. And I have only ever been called first class.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nob Jockey :D

Rats, even ninth rate is way out of my league, now I have no chance :(

(Incidentally, Katie is actually a little better than Kate for anagrams, but I'll leave it there I think)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kate, ok, I'll talk to Damian when he feels better but I have a question.

Was the newer arrangement of Countdown's theme song composed by Alan Hawkshaw used when Damian became series producer? That is to say, not the original theme with an introduction but the current version.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jason, it's been this arrangement now for at least 11 years.

The theme tune was reworked about 12 years ago, but it proved to be unpopular so they dropped it.

Incidentally, Alan Hawkshaw wrote the first track on American rapper Jay-Z's latest album.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:Kate, ok, I'll talk to Damian when he feels better but I have a question.

Was the newer arrangement of Countdown's theme song composed by Alan Hawkshaw used when Damian became series producer? That is to say, not the original theme with an introduction but the current version.
How come this post sounds like you already have an idea of how America would do the theme tune, bearing in mind of course, that Countdown will NEVER appear in the US.