Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:Just a little example there, Tracey, of going off topic. Hello and welcome!
Oh yes, and that.
Helena Martin

Post by Helena Martin »

Hiya people!

I never realised this forum excisted until 2 hours ago. I love watching countdown but doubt I am anywhere near intelligent enough to go on. i am here because my 2 year old is obsessed too. Bless her!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Helena Martin wrote:Hiya people!

I never realised this forum excisted until 2 hours ago. I love watching countdown but doubt I am anywhere near intelligent enough to go on. i am here because my 2 year old is obsessed too. Bless her!
You don't have to be intelligent to go on (not that I'm agreeing with you that you're not intelligent).
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Helena Martin wrote:Hiya people!

You don't have to be intelligent to go on (not that I'm agreeing with you that you're not intelligent).
..and you certainly don't need to be intelligent to be on here!!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi, I'm Jeff (but not stelling) lol I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while - for various reasons usually connected to my pc being accident prone!!!! Anyway I'm back now and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

What I want to know is How long do you have to wait to be a contestant on Countdown? I applied about 3 weeks ago by email and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi everyone, my name is Jeff (but not Stelling). I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while because my pc is accident prone!!!! Anyway, I'm back now, and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

What I'd like to know is: How long do you have to wait to be a contestant on Countdown? I applied about 3 or 4 weeks ago by email and have heard nothing back yet. Is this normal?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

jeff wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Jeff (but not Stelling). I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while because my pc is accident prone!!!! Anyway, I'm back now, and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

What I'd like to know is: How long do you have to wait to be a contestant on Countdown? I applied about 3 or 4 weeks ago by email and have heard nothing back yet. Is this normal?
You already posted that
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

jeff wrote:Hi, I'm Jeff (but not stelling) lol I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while - for various reasons usually connected to my pc being accident prone!!!! Anyway I'm back now and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

What I want to know is How long do you have to wait to be a contestant on Countdown? I applied about 3 weeks ago by email and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal?
You already posted that
jeff

Post by jeff »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
jeff wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Jeff (but not Stelling). I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while because my pc is accident prone!!!! Anyway, I'm back now, and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

You already posted that[/
Yeah I know
jeff

Post by jeff »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
jeff wrote:Hi, I'm Jeff (but not stelling) lol I've been a member of this community for about a year now but haven't been here for a while - for various reasons usually connected to my pc being accident prone!!!! Anyway I'm back now and hopefully you'll be hearing more from me from now on.

You already posted that

Yeah I know
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

jeff wrote:I applied about 3 weeks ago by email and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal?
Yes.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Craig Beevers wrote:
jeff wrote:I applied about 3 weeks ago by email and haven't heard anything back yet. Is this normal?
Yes.
Thanx Craig - I was beginning to think i hadn't even got past the first hurdle lol
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Yes.

If by 'applied' you mean sent in a request form an application form, then we'd usually deal with it within 24hrs. If you actually emailed a form in to us, then yes, you need to be prepared to wait for several weeks sometimes. If you asked for a form and haven't got it then email again or ring.
Chris Bergman

Post by Chris Bergman »

Hi,

Once a Cambridge Graduate (long time ago), once a member of Mensa (stopped paying the subscription), once a contestant on The Weakest Link (met Anne & got insulted!) but twice a contestant on Countdown (1990 & 2009) - just out of interest how many people have been a genuine new contestant on Countdown?

Chris
Chris Bergman

Post by Chris Bergman »

of course, I meant how many people have been a contestant more than once?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Chris Bergman wrote:of course, I meant how many people have been a contestant more than once?
If this forum is to be believed then Amey Deshpande has been a contestant on at least seven separate occasions.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Chris Bergman wrote:How many people have been a contestant more than once?
Welcome Chris.

Because I imagine quite a few people will be interested in the answer to this question, I thought I'd have a bash at answering it.

Excluding reappearances in special games which do not form part of a regular series, I think there are two separate categories. The first is where a player's original run was terminated early, either by an incorrect adjudication or due to personal circumstances. I can find 8 such instances, as follows:

19 Mark Cooper
20 Duncan Dale-Emberton
31 Chris Williams
39 Alex Davis
42 Helen Wrigglesworth
51 John Britton
57 Martin May
58 Carl Dundas

The number denotes the series in which the player was allowed to resume.

The second category is where a player's run ended normally, but the player was allowed to enter a later series at the discretion of the producers. Here I can find 19 instances:

6 Darryl Francis
6 Helen Grayson
7 Margaret Reid
25 Barbara Wylde
28 Paul Henderson
40 James Squires
53 Ola Odutola
56 Amey Deshpande
57 Terry Rattle
58 Tony Durrant
59 Junaid Mubeen
60 Hamish Williamson
60 James Robinson
60 Karyn Cooke
60 Kirk Bevins
61 Andrew Hulme
61 Chris Bergman
61 Mike Moran
61 Ross Mackenzie

I have a feeling there may have been at least one case where a player has sneaked back under a different name, but I don't know who it was.

I'll be interested to know of any I may have missed.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Clive Brooker wrote:I have a feeling there may have been at least one case where a player has sneaked back under a different name, but I don't know who it was.
The late Saladin Khoshnaw.
Clive Brooker wrote:I'll be interested to know of any I may have missed.
Thanks for that, Clive. I can't think of any others; this looks a pretty conclusive list. Taking away any children who were given another go as adults, there actually aren't anywhere near as many as I think a lot of us believed.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Thanks Derek. Perhaps I should explain briefly how I derived the list so that people can form a view on its validity.

I used TCDP to get a convenient list of all games and removed finals, COC games, SC games, and specials. I then identified any names which occurred in more than one series - about 90 - and where I wasn't sure used the Wiki to eliminate spurious matches.

There was only one where I was seriously dubious - Dennis Edgson from series 20 and 23. Wiki definitely has him as two separate people.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Clive Brooker wrote:There was only one where I was seriously dubious - Dennis Edgson from series 20 and 23. Wiki definitely has him as two separate people.
There are others on the Wiki of whom we are unable to be certain, so to be on the safe side just have them listed as separate people at the moment. So, there are possibly some more names for your list. There is a list of Disambiguation pages here, which may be helpful to you.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:There was only one where I was seriously dubious - Dennis Edgson from series 20 and 23. Wiki definitely has him as two separate people.
There are others on the Wiki of whom we are unable to be certain, so to be on the safe side just have them listed as separate people at the moment. So, there are possibly some more names for your list. There is a list of Disambiguation pages here, which may be helpful to you.
Thanks again Derek. Apart from the ones already mentioned, I have 55 names appearing in more than one series. Eight of these I know to be separate people. I don't doubt that one or two are returners, but Mr Edgson is the only one who stands out as being suspicious, "reappearing" in series 23 having lost narrowly in series 20.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Clive Brooker wrote:
Chris Bergman wrote:How many people have been a contestant more than once?
Welcome Chris.

Because I imagine quite a few people will be interested in the answer to this question, I thought I'd have a bash at answering it.

Excluding reappearances in special games which do not form part of a regular series, I think there are two separate categories. The first is where a player's original run was terminated early, either by an incorrect adjudication or due to personal circumstances. I can find 8 such instances, as follows:

19 Mark Cooper
20 Duncan Dale-Emberton
31 Chris Williams
39 Alex Davis
42 Helen Wrigglesworth
51 John Britton
57 Martin May
58 Carl Dundas

The second category is where a player's run ended normally, but the player was allowed to enter a later series at the discretion of the producers. Here I can find 19 instances:

6 Darryl Francis
6 Helen Grayson
7 Margaret Reid
25 Barbara Wylde
28 Paul Henderson
40 James Squires
53 Ola Odutola
56 Amey Deshpande
57 Terry Rattle
58 Tony Durrant
59 Junaid Mubeen
60 Hamish Williamson
60 James Robinson
60 Karyn Cooke
60 Kirk Bevins
61 Andrew Hulme
61 Chris Bergman
61 Mike Moran
61 Ross Mackenzie

I have a feeling there may have been at least one case where a player has sneaked back under a different name, but I don't know who it was.

I'll be interested to know of any I may have missed.

There is a lady who's been on twice before. First time about 1998, second time about 12-18 months ago. She failed to mention it on her application form that she'd been on previously, but i recognised her instantly. Can't remember her name at the moment.

Edit - it was Margaret Read.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

D Eadie wrote:[There is a lady who's been on twice before. First time about 1998, second time about 12-18 months ago. She failed to mention it on her application form that she'd been on previously, but i recognised her instantly. Can't remember her name at the moment.

Thanks Damian. She was on my list (series 38 and 57).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:Excluding reappearances in special games which do not form part of a regular series, I think there are two separate categories. The first is where a player's original run was terminated early, either by an incorrect adjudication or due to personal circumstances. I can find 8 such instances, as follows:

19 Mark Cooper
20 Duncan Dale-Emberton
31 Chris Williams
39 Alex Davis
42 Helen Wrigglesworth
51 John Britton
57 Martin May
58 Carl Dundas

6 Darryl Francis
6 Helen Grayson
I actually think Helen Grayson should be in the first list, having retired unbeaten in series 1.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Clive Brooker wrote:
D Eadie wrote:[There is a lady who's been on twice before. First time about 1998, second time about 12-18 months ago. She failed to mention it on her application form that she'd been on previously, but i recognised her instantly. Can't remember her name at the moment.

Also Clive, not sure what your list is supposed to contain, but Wayne Kelly, Series 28, didn't do an Octo-run. He had to leave studio to take an exam so i think he only played 6 heat games before retiring.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

D Eadie wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:

Also Clive, not sure what your list is supposed to contain, but Wayne Kelly, Series 28, didn't do an Octo-run. He had to leave studio to take an exam so i think he only played 6 heat games before retiring.
Madness. Surely Countdown >>>> exams?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

D Eadie wrote:Also Clive, not sure what your list is supposed to contain, but Wayne Kelly, Series 28, didn't do an Octo-run. He had to leave studio to take an exam so i think he only played 6 heat games before retiring.
I wouldn't have included a case like this had I known about it, but it's interesting none the less. Did he actually have an exam scheduled to clash with recording? The Wiki just refers to exam pressures. I presume that someone who started a run knowing they couldn't finish wouldn't be invited back to complete later if they missed out on the finals?

IIRC Kate Black, who helped launch the current series a few months ago, was travelling from Greece to Donegal and while waiting for a connecting flight in Manchester just had time to fit in a game of Countdown. Perhaps she was exaggerating for dramatic effect.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Countdown >>>> exams
A=1, B=2, ..., Z=26
Countdown = 11,592,000

Countdown >> e = 362,250
Countdown >> x = 0
Countdown >> a = 5,796,000
Countdown >> m = 1,415
Countdown >> s = 22

:geek:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Alec Rivers wrote:
A=1, B=2, ..., Z=26
Countdown = 11,592,000

Countdown >> e = 362,250
Countdown >> x = 0
Countdown >> m = 1,415
Countdown >> s = 22

wtf
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
A=1, B=2, ..., Z=26
Countdown = 11,592,000

Countdown >> e = 362,250
Countdown >> x = 0
Countdown >> m = 1,415
Countdown >> s = 22

wtf
The only one that might make sense is: Countdown >> s = 22, number of conundrums ending in S
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

There was a lass called Vicky Smith, who played in Series 39, who won 7 times i think but couldn't make the quarters, so we put her in the quarters of the next series. Never did get me anywhere though ;)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

I'm pretty certain they are the same person: both came from Cheltenham, which seems too much of a coincidence to rule out. He lost first time round on a crucial conundrum, but I can't see any particular reason why he was allowed back - maybe he sweet-talked Mark Nyman or used a cunning disguise!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

D Eadie wrote:There was a lass called Vicky Smith, who played in Series 39, who won 7 times i think but couldn't make the quarters, so we put her in the quarters of the next series. Never did get me anywhere though ;)
Yeah, I remember her, and every time I see VT Editor Vicky Smith in the credits, I wonder if it's her... I guess it isn't!!

EDIT: Sorry Damian, I accidentally deleted part of your original post while trying to reply! Oh, the joys of moderating...
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Not its not the same Vicky Smith. The editrix Vicky is far better at Countdown.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I can personally verify that Garry Preston appeared twice. His second appearance was as the standby after my octo-run. I chatted to him in the audience after he'd lost on a crucial conundrum for the second time.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Martin Bishop wrote:I can personally verify that Garry Preston appeared twice. His second appearance was as the standby after my octo-run. I chatted to him in the audience after he'd lost on a crucial conundrum for the second time.
Thanks, Martin. Was he still a cab driver when you met him?
AndyB2007

Post by AndyB2007 »

Hi, my name is Andrew Barton (but call me Andy!). I'm 25 years old and from Newcastle. I work as a service administrator.

I've been watching Countdown since I was a kid, and still enjoying it (and I have no problem with Rachel on that show)

I enjoy listening to music and seeing local bands, and I'm mainly good at musical knowledge- I've won quizzes in my local pub, have contributed on BBC Radio Newcastle (I was the one who sent in info about Dollar for the Drivetime show around 2004),applied for Sing It Back on ITV around 2007 and have taken part on Smooth Radio North East's Pop The Question.

I'm also into the Aussie soaps- one of the shows I'm a fan of is Prisoner Cell Block H. Own half the DVD's of it.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Andy.
I hope you enjoy it here.
Daniel Stevanato

Post by Daniel Stevanato »

Hi, I'm Daniel, a 21yo Lancaster University student from Huddersfield. Currently doing my year abroad in Hamburg, working as an English language assistant. I'm flying back on March 5th as I'm hoping to go for filming on March 8th/9th (yet to receive confirmation of this though).

I'm a lifelong supporter of Huddersfield Town, and this is the first year I've not had a season ticket since I started watching them in 1994 (gutted :cry: ). During my spare time I like to go and watch HSV in the Bundesliga, get drunk on the Reeperbahn and (since a few weeks ago) practice on Apterous in preparation for my filming.

Just out of curiosity, IF I was to make it to the quarter finals, but I couldn't make it over here because of work or if it was too expensive to fly over, would I end up in the quarters of the following series?

Thanks.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Daniel Stevanato wrote: Just out of curiosity, IF I was to make it to the quarter finals, but I couldn't make it over here because of work or if it was too expensive to fly over, would I end up in the quarters of the following series?

Thanks.
Possibly, yes. Expense shouldn't be a problem as Countdown pay travel expenses (although not sure if they pay for them if you're abroad?).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Daniel Stevanato wrote: Just out of curiosity, IF I was to make it to the quarter finals, but I couldn't make it over here because of work or if it was too expensive to fly over, would I end up in the quarters of the following series?

Thanks.
Possibly, yes. Expense shouldn't be a problem as Countdown pay travel expenses (although not sure if they pay for them if you're abroad?).
I'm sure they don't! Otherwise I'll advise my Australian relatives to apply.

I don't have any Australian relatives, but you get the idea.

As to the QF question, dunno. My guess would probably be "no" though unless there was VERY good reason (work/too expensive doesn't cut it IMO) as you're then denying somebody else a rightful place in the next series, which isn't very fair. But, dunno.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Richard Brittain was in Belgium at the time of CofC wasn't he? Maybe CofC is different though as it's an invitational thing?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Richard Brittain was in Belgium at the time of CofC wasn't he? Maybe CofC is different though as it's an invitational thing?
Yeah, but did they pay for his travel to the UK? There must be a cap on what is acceptable as travel expenses.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Daniel Stevanato wrote:I'm a lifelong supporter of Huddersfield Town, and this is the first year I've not had a season ticket since I started watching them in 1994 (gutted :cry: ).
Daniel, I support Huddersfield Town too. I think I'm the only other one here who is.

Welcome, you'll like it here! ;) :) :D
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

James Robinson wrote:
Daniel Stevanato wrote:I'm a lifelong supporter of Huddersfield Town, and this is the first year I've not had a season ticket since I started watching them in 1994 (gutted :cry: ).
Daniel, I support Huddersfield Town too. I think I'm the only other one here who is.

I don't understand why the word "here" is included in your post James.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

James Robinson wrote:

My maths teacher at VIth form supported Huddersfield. That's three of you, then. (Went down the footie and said to bloke standing next to me "OI!!"... :lol: )

Welcome to the forum, Daniel :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I've seen you on Apterous!

Welcome, Daniel!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Daniel, I support Huddersfield Town too. I think I'm the only other one here who is [sic].
I don't understand why the word "here" is included in your post James.
Took the words right out of my mouth. lol

Reminds me of my first visit to White Hart Lane. I asked some guy for directions and he told me to follow the crowd. I ended up in Tescos.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Alec Rivers wrote:Reminds me of my first visit to White Hart Lane. I asked some guy for directions and he told me to follow the crowd. I ended up in Tescos.
And to think I used to like you. :evil:
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Reminds me of my first visit to White Hart Lane. I asked some guy for directions and he told me to follow the crowd. I ended up in Tescos.
lol. I'm a Gooner — what do you expect? :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Howard, why do you not like Alec anymore?
lol. I'm a Gooner — what do you expect? :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Hines wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

My maths teacher at VIth form supported Huddersfield. That's three of you, then. (Went down the footie and said to bloke standing next to me "OI!!"... :lol: )

Welcome to the forum, Daniel :D
One of my best mates is Simon Trevitt's cousin, a Terrier legend if ever there was one.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Richard Brittain was in Belgium at the time of CofC wasn't he? Maybe CofC is different though as it's an invitational thing?
They paid for his Eurostar ticket, I think, but that was discretionary. I wouldn't bank on them paying for flights.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank goodness for the Countdown team and how nice they are!

After the attempted terrorist attack on Christmas Day, nobody else would do that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Pay for an international flight, that is.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'd like to think that more people would pay for an international flight than would attempt a terrorist attack on Christmas Day.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Matt, I'm as happy as a clam!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Pay for an international flight, that is.
Especially if Richard Brittain's on it. I imagine he's a terrorist magnet.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Quite the opposite; it's the government/illuminati/lizard people who want to silence Richard, for he knows THE TRUTH. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they took out a plane with him on.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Quite the opposite; it's the government/illuminati/lizard people who want to silence Richard, for he knows THE TRUTH. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they took out a plane with him on.
Well on that basis I wont be going to CO Easy Jet 2010.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT