Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon Corby »

Welcome Karin Image

I hope your mother is okay.
Doug Barber

Post by Doug Barber »

Doug Barber here. Thanks to Sky+ I can now watch Countdown again, I used to tape it but always taped more than I have time to watch and it got difficult.

Auditioned about 1990 and didn't get on and was encouraged to try again. I've not done so yet. They seemed to be on the look out for bright 8 year olds at the time - well there's no shame in losing to an adult, but a child!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Doug Barber wrote:Auditioned about 1990 and didn't get on and was encouraged to try again. I've not done so yet. They seemed to be on the look out for bright 8 year olds at the time - well there's no shame in losing to an adult, but a child!
Welcome Doug. You should definitely try to go on again. Now is the time. Hope to see you in the telly soon. ;) :) :D
Josh Overhill

Post by Josh Overhill »

Finally got round to posting on here!

Hi all, I'm Josh, 19, from Cambridge and about to start my second year studying Accounting at the University Of Hull. Some of you might have played against me on Apterous, I do plan on applying to go on Countdown one day, but not before I get to the point when I think I'm at least good enough to make the series finals, so I think I'm a long way off applying yet!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Josh Overhill wrote:Finally got round to posting on here!

Hi all, I'm Josh, 19, from Cambridge and about to start my second year studying Accounting at the University Of Hull. Some of you might have played against me on Apterous, I do plan on applying to go on Countdown one day, but not before I get to the point when I think I'm at least good enough to make the series finals, so I think I'm a long way off applying yet!
Welcome.
Ian Glendenning

Post by Ian Glendenning »

Hi. I'm Ian Glendenning, an Astronomy and Space lecturer at the University of Glamorgan in South Wales. I've been watching Countdown fairly regularly since about 2002. I'm better at the numbers than the letters but no way good enough to audition for the show. I do, however, play chess competitively.

c4countdown.co.uk was brought to my attention during the excellent runs of Charlie Reams. I congratulate all on the site for the work they put in, especially for maintaining the comprehensive analysis, which I constantly consult and to keep me up to date. Living in Wales I receive Countdown through S4C and programmes are often running up to a week later than on C4. The current 61 Series only finished for its summer break on the 18th of August! How about a Welsh language version of Countdown, S4C?

I also read the forums, enjoying the 'Greatest Ever Player' debate and ideas of bringing in proper prize money for contestants. Those contributing are usually very experienced participants and I'll only offer my opinions when more knowledgeable about Countdown history.

Keep up the great work!

Ian.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Glendenning wrote:Hi. I'm Ian Glendenning, an Astronomy and Space lecturer at the University of Glamorgan in South Wales. I've been watching Countdown fairly regularly since about 2002. I'm better at the numbers than the letters but no way good enough to audition for the show. I do, however, play chess competitively.

c4countdown.co.uk was brought to my attention during the excellent runs of Charlie Reams. I congratulate all on the site for the work they put in, especially for maintaining the comprehensive analysis, which I constantly consult and to keep me up to date. Living in Wales I receive Countdown through S4C and programmes are often running up to a week later than on C4. The current 61 Series only finished for its summer break on the 18th of August! How about a Welsh language version of Countdown, S4C?

I also read the forums, enjoying the 'Greatest Ever Player' debate and ideas of bringing in proper prize money for contestants. Those contributing are usually very experienced participants and I'll only offer my opinions when more knowledgeable about Countdown history.

Keep up the great work!

Ian.
Good to see you here - as a former astrophysics student it's nice to have more like-minded people about :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ian Glendenning wrote:Hi. I'm Ian Glendenning, an Astronomy and Space lecturer at the University of Glamorgan in South Wales. I've been watching Countdown fairly regularly since about 2002. I'm better at the numbers than the letters but no way good enough to audition for the show. I do, however, play chess competitively.

Keep up the great work!

Ian.
Good to see you here - as a former astrophysics student it's nice to have more like-minded people about :)
But try to wear better shirts than Ian V!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

Keep up the great work!

Ian.
But try to wear better shirts than Ian V!
There's nowt wrong wi' my shirts!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Glendenning

Thanks Ian and Sue for the welcome.

I'm not sure Sue, if I wear better shirts than Ian but I undoubtedly wear worse trousers! For an avatar I've dug out a photograph of me at a chess tournament in Swansea. If you are very keen sighted that's grandmaster John Nunn above my hair in the middle. The Countdowning equivalent of having Kirk Bevins or Andrew Hulme above your head?

And Ian - astrophysics - good man, a brilliant subject!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

here in fit won't you guy nice a like seem you etc.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Ian Glendenning wrote:Thanks Ian and Sue for the welcome.

I'm not sure Sue, if I wear better shirts than Ian but I undoubtedly wear worse trousers! For an avatar I've dug out a photograph of me at a chess tournament in Swansea. If you are very keen sighted that's grandmaster John Nunn above my hair in the middle. The Countdowning equivalent of having Kirk Bevins or Andrew Hulme above your head?

Nunn! :D Hehe Ian, I looked on the grading website, I cannot find you as ever having been an active player? Are you graded, or do you play in few enough tournaments/games to slip under the radar? I think Apterous ought to begin a casual chess championship, I've played Phil makepeace who is about 2150, plenty of competition now! =D
Ian Glendenning

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:
Ian Glendenning wrote:Thanks Ian and Sue for the welcome.

Nunn! :D Hehe Ian, I looked on the grading website, I cannot find you as ever having been an active player? Are you graded, or do you play in few enough tournaments/games to slip under the radar? I think Apterous ought to begin a casual chess championship, I've played Phil makepeace who is about 2150, plenty of competition now! =D
Daniel, I've played for various clubs and universities and the tournament with Nunn participating is the long defunct British Isles Open. Being out in the sticks now it's mainly correspondence for me these days but if there is anything on Apterous let me know.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Former Contestants'? - Help & Information Wanted.

I am waiting to hear about appearing on "Countdown" after having been accepted, I got the letter on 4th August.

I know it's filmed in Manchester (I'm in London).
But can anybody help me with the following queries?

How much notice will I get?(I have to arrange time off work)
What's the minimum days it will take? (assuming I'm only on 1 show)
Will I get a choice of dates?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this, Thanks.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

AnnieHall wrote:Former Contestants'? - Help & Information Wanted.

I am waiting to hear about appearing on "Countdown" after having been accepted, I got the letter on 4th August.

Going off memory, so might be wrong.

I got about a month's notice. It will only take one day based on your 1 show assumption. You won't get a choice of dates exactly, you'll get offered a date and you can either take it or say you won't be able to make it - eventually you'll get another offer (I presume).
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Craig Beevers wrote:
AnnieHall wrote:Former Contestants'? - Help & Information Wanted.

Going off memory, so might be wrong.

I got about a month's notice. It will only take one day based on your 1 show assumption. You won't get a choice of dates exactly, you'll get offered a date and you can either take it or say you won't be able to make it - eventually you'll get another offer (I presume).
I seem to remember getting 3 dates I needed to confirm I was able to attend and they weren't consecutive - well two were, the third was the following month - which was due to a break in filming. I didn't have to get there til 1pm the first day, which I think they probably organised as I live in Kent. You can claim the value of the train fare even if you drive.
Fool's top.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

AnnieHall wrote:What's the minimum days it will take? (assuming I'm only on 1 show)
This sounds a bit negative!

You must have a plan which allows you to record 8 shows however unlikely that may seem. Because 5 shows are recorded in a day, if you are asked to start in either show 4 or show 5 you potentially have to record on 3 separate days, and these may or may not be consecutive. Also, where you're placed in the recording schedule largely determines the time you're asked to turn up at the studio.

I had 3 weeks' notice to record back in May, and I don't think this is untypical.
Martin Howes

Post by Martin Howes »

Hello,
I'm Martin Howes from Telford, The birthplaceof Industry!
As a more mature contributor than most of the others on here, I'm hoping that practice on Apterous will help me through an audition. I tried last year and thought I'd done reasonably well but was rejected.
Martin
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Hi Martin,

Nice to see you on the forum. We've played a couple of times on Apterous, and you've definitely got some potential. Good luck to you on your quest to get on the show. ;) :) :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Welcome Martin. If you get on the show I hope you manage to emulate the success of your almost-surnamesake.
Bert Arter

Post by Bert Arter »

Hi Charlie. I have watched Countdown since its beginning in 1982 and was at Carol`s final show recorded last November. She invited me. I am afraid that, for me, the magic has gone out of the program but do not blame Rachel for this. She is great and the format remains the same. I dont watch it regularly these days. Not keen on Stelling.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Bert Arter wrote:I have watched Countdown since its beginning in 1982
Weren't you on Ilkley Moor at some point?
Bert Arter

Post by Bert Arter »

No - visit to Leeds last year was my first time ever in Yorkshire - why?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Why did she invite you Bert?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Bert Arter wrote:No - visit to Leeds last year was my first time ever in Yorkshire - why?
I got it Phil.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I got it too Phil.
But, honestly, it's not your best.
Bert Arter

Post by Bert Arter »

Jon Corby wrote:Why did she invite you Bert?
Because I have been writing to her regularly for many years and she wanted to meet me.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Hi all.
I'm Josh Hurst, a general countdown fan from an early age, yet to appear on the show. I'm 20 years old, and currently studying Geology at The University of Manchester. When I graduate, my official title will be "Master of Earth", which I think sounds pretty cool, maybe 2nd in command to He-man? I think you have to do a PhD to get Master of the Universe.
I'd written more, but reviewed it and REALIZED it made me sound like more of a nob than the previous paragraph does, so got rid of it (Part of the deleted spiel included reference to one of my heroes, Jeffrey Hansford, so I included one here as a substitute.).
I plan to attend COLEI 2 as my debut appearance at a countdown event. It will probably be my last due to the downturn in my self esteem afterward due to my predictably shoddy performance.
Bye x
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Karin Peirce wrote:Hi all - I'm Karin - live in Salisbury Wilts and will properly introduce myself sometime over the next days. I actually joined nearly 2 months ago but had to suddenly travel to Holland (where Í'm from originally) as my mother is quite ill and am currently looking after her. As said - look forward to have a good nose around on the website as I haven't seen Countdown for ages and am displaying severe withdrawl symptoms! Now got laptop so I can at least try to catch up a bit by coming here. See you later :D
If you are the same Karin who appeared in series 60, then I remember seeing you on the weakest link the other day. You seemed pretty good on the general knowledge front :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Bert Arter wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Why did she invite you Bert?
Because I have been writing to her regularly for many years and she wanted to meet me.
Risk assessment. Gotcha.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Good one, Phil! :roll:
I don't often pop into the Welcome thread, but it was worth it today. :mrgreen:

For anyone who still hasn't got it: "Bert Arter" sounds a bit like "Baht 'at", as in "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Ilkla_Moor_Baht%27at

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Bert, and to anyone else who's joined recently. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Hi, I'm Matthew Tassier and I've been a Countdown fan ever since my excitement at the upcoming televisual extravaganza that was going to be the launch of a fourth television channel became bemusement when a couple of adults started playing spelling and adding up games. Since becoming self-employed and getting sky+ I now never miss a show.
I like to think I'm reasonably good at Countdown, but any of you who have played me on apterous over the last 6 months will know that I'm shaky at letters rounds and useless at spotting those damn conundrums. I like adding up games though.
I grew up near Southampton and am a Saints fan, but I can confirm to anyone who has not yet asked ... my middle name is not "Le".
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Hi, Matthew, and welcome to the forum! :D
Matthew Tassier wrote: I like to think I'm reasonably good at Countdown, but any of you who have played me on apterous over the last 6 months will know that I'm shaky at letters rounds and useless at spotting those damn conundrums.
Matthew - I think you're being modest! We've played 4 games on apterous over the past few months, and you've won all 4, and in 3 of them you got the crucial conundrum! ;)

Hope you like the forum. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Julie T wrote:Hi, Matthew, and welcome to the forum! :D

Matthew - I think you're being modest! We've played 4 games on apterous over the past few months, and you've won all 4, and in 3 of them you got the crucial conundrum! ;)

Hope you like the forum. :)
Thanks! I think you've just been unlucky for me to get 3/4. When numbers appear I think "I'm going to get this", when conundrums appear I just think "Oh, Jeesus".
Jennifer Bett

Post by Jennifer Bett »

Hi,

My name's Jennifer and I am 26, and I have watched countdown for 17years! I have applied to be on countdown and have passed my audition, so am now just waiting for a recording date.

Shall I consider myself introduced?

Jennifer
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Bett wrote:Hi,

My name's Jennifer and I am 26, and I have watched countdown for 17years! I have applied to be on countdown and have passed my audition, so am now just waiting for a recording date.

Shall I consider myself introduced?
Yes. Hello :)
David Kurdynowski

Post by David Kurdynowski »

Hi, my name is David Kurdynowski. I've been lurking here a while, but I'm the challenger on today's programme so I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself. I work nights in a jam factory so recently have really got back into watching Countdown as I'm always home in the afternoon. I think Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley have made the programme even more enjoyable than it used to be. Meeting Rachel in real life was just the best! I will be watching the programme in the middle of a pub crawl with some workmates, and hope I don't come across as too much of a muppet!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

David Kurdynowski wrote:Hi, my name is David Kurdynowski. I've been lurking here a while, but I'm the challenger on today's programme so I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself. I work nights in a jam factory so recently have really got back into watching Countdown as I'm always home in the afternoon. I think Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley have made the programme even more enjoyable than it used to be. Meeting Rachel in real life was just the best! I will be watching the programme in the middle of a pub crawl with some workmates, and hope I don't come across as too much of a muppet!
Welcome David, and well done for being able to post about your time on Countdown without even the hint of a spoiler. See you later! :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Kurdynowski wrote:Hi, my name is David Kurdynowski. I've been lurking here a while, but I'm the challenger on today's programme so I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself. I work nights in a jam factory so recently have really got back into watching Countdown as I'm always home in the afternoon. I think Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley have made the programme even more enjoyable than it used to be. Meeting Rachel in real life was just the best! I will be watching the programme in the middle of a pub crawl with some workmates, and hope I don't come across as too much of a muppet!
Welcome David, and best of retrospective luck on today's show!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Also, making jam sounds kinda cool. What's your roll?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Strawberry jam I imagine - the strawberries come from a punnet.
David Kurdynowski

Post by David Kurdynowski »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mine is ham and piccalilli (is that spelt right?). Actually making jam is quite hot, but not as hot as being on Countdown. I was nervous, but I looked even more nervous than I felt!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Our newest member would be useful in a dark crypt.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:Our newest member would be useful in a dark crypt.
Not if potatoes were kept there though.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Hi, I'm Martyn Simpson. I've recently stumbled across this site, and have been using apterous for a couple of weeks in readiness for my Countdown appearance(s?). I have been given a filming date of 20th October - so not much time left to improve to the required standard!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Martyn Simpson wrote:Hi, I'm Martyn Simpson. I've recently stumbled across this site, and have been using apterous for a couple of weeks in readiness for my Countdown appearance(s?). I have been given a filming date of 20th October - so not much time left to improve to the required standard!
Welcome Martyn. Nice to see you here after you told me on Apterous you had discovered this site. Good luck with your upcoming filming. After chatting to you I can root for you from home!
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

Hello. I'm Richard Adams, a solicitor from Exeter.

I've been lurking in the bushes reading this board for a few months now and am reluctant to join in such a savage pack, but thought I ought to do so now to thank Jon Corby for his cracking card trick, and also Matt for the lovely Winterbells.

Oh, and while I'm here, I enjoy Sue Sanders' comments.

Sorry, Charlie.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Richard Adams wrote:I've been lurking in the bushes [...] to thank [...] Matt for the lovely Winterbells.
I like this guy already.

Sorry, Charlie.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Richard Adams wrote:a solicitor from Exeter
Are you Matt Morrison's solicitor by any chance?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Richard Adams wrote:a solicitor from Exeter
Are you Matt Morrison's solicitor by any chance?
He can be mine, despite the improbable distance! He strikes me as very sound :D
Fool's top.
Richard Adams
Rookie

Post by Richard Adams »

Sorry, Phil, can't answer that one. I'm professionally sworn to secrecy.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Richard Adams wrote:Hello. I'm Richard Adams, a solicitor from Exeter.

I've been lurking in the bushes reading this board for a few months now and am reluctant to join in such a savage pack, but thought I ought to do so now . . .
Now that you have registered, you will find these forums a LOT easier to read, as every time you click on a topic, it will allow you to jump straight to the first post you haven't read. This makes life a lot easier for you, and goes for anybody else who is lurking without registering too.

Oh, and welcome, and sorry nobody has savaged you yet. ;)
Tracey Mills

Post by Tracey Mills »

Hi My name is Tracey Mills I was a contestant on series 47, despite losing my game by 4 points I enjoyed experience immensely, I would like to go on again so I can win the coveted teapot!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Welcome Tracey
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Image :D
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Tracey Mills wrote:Hi My name is Tracey Mills I was a contestant on series 47, despite losing my game by 4 points I enjoyed experience immensely, I would like to go on again so I can win the coveted teapot!
Hi Tracey welcome. Re going on again, I hate to disappoint you but I think you should read the "Reappearances" thread on page 5 of Countdown - General. I had the rug pulled from under me earlier this year.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Philip Jarvis wrote:
Tracey Mills wrote:Hi My name is Tracey Mills I was a contestant on series 47, despite losing my game by 4 points I enjoyed experience immensely, I would like to go on again so I can win the coveted teapot!
Hi Tracey welcome. Re going on again, I hate to disappoint you but I think you should read the "Reappearances" thread on page 5 of Countdown - General. I had the rug pulled from under me earlier this year.
Not that you're bitter or anything.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:
Not that you're bitter or anything.
Bitterness Charlie?? What is your basis for making that assertion?

This is probably the first time I have mentioned it since I expressed my disappointment when the decision was made in early July. I fully expressed my feelings at the time. Tracey raised a point about her possibly going on the programme again, and I simply pointed her in the direction of Countdown's current policy. Granted, I stated that I had the rug pulled from under me, but does that make me bitter?

Am I still disappointed - the answer is yes. In fact, there have been times when I've been beating recent contestants / champions on the programme by 50+ points. I admit - I've had thoughts of "If only I'd been playing in that game, I could have won a teapot". If that makes me bitter, then I plead guilty!
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Bitterness Charlie?? What is your basis for making that assertion?
Philip Jarvis wrote:This is probably the first time I have mentioned it since I expressed my disappointment when the decision was made in early July. I fully expressed my feelings at the time. Tracey raised a point about her possibly going on the programme again, and I simply pointed her in the direction of Countdown's current policy. Granted, I stated that I had the rug pulled from under me, but does that make me bitter?

Am I still disappointed - the answer is yes. In fact, there have been times when I've been beating recent contestants / champions on the programme by 50+ points. I admit - I've had thoughts of "If only I'd been playing in that game, I could have won a teapot". If that makes me bitter, then I plead guilty!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Just a little example there, Tracey, of going off topic. Hello and welcome!
Fool's top.