Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Joseph Bolas »

kathleen batlle wrote:Hi everyone,

Decided to join today when Charlie mentioned the website as I've been watching Countdown for years and love it. Can't imagine the show without Carole, but there must be plenty of likely candidates for the job amongst past contestants. I've loved Des O'Connor as host as he always has interesting anecdotes because of his long showbiz career. I sometimes come up with a better/longer word than the contestants, but not very often. When it happens I'm shouting at the screen, now I can comment here instead. Would never be good enough to compete with people like Kai, a great young man, in fact he's younger than my grandson. Looks like Charlie is in for the long haul too. Good luck Charlie, I'll be watching.
Welcome the forum Kathleen :)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Anyway, I'll be going up for the finals next week...
The finals are being recorded next week?? Wow that's sooner than I thought. Was going to say that Charlie kept that quiet, but I suppose he couldn't mention it because it would be seen as a spoiler that he was going to be there! Not that I know he's going to be - yet - but I'm sure he will. Good luck Kai and Junaid and (I'm sure) Charlie next week

Great to have you here Kai and Junaid - you were both really personable on-screen (not to mention very good at the game) and, as many others have said, you've really livened up this series. Junaid are you still coming to COLin in January? If so you'll probably beat me if we get to play each other... will be great to meet you anyway
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Jason Larsen wrote:Come on, Junaid! Chant it with me! Jeff! Jeff! Jeff!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh Jason, you do crack me up
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Welcome David, and all new users that might flood the site today!
Has this place got some publicity or something?
That's a joke, right? :lol:
Not at all! I've not seen anything that would suggest that this website has had wider promotion. I'm guessing that it was maybe mentioned on the programme? I've not watched Countdown in months, so that sort of thing would pass me by.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julian Fell wrote:
You may find his mental illness amusing, but spare a thought for the influx of new people reading this bilge and wondering what on earth they've joined.
john martin

Post by john martin »

Hi Folks,

This is the first time I've come on the the site, I'm 62 years old and live in France.

I've been watching Countdown on and off since it started. Obviously I went many years without seeing it as I was living abroad, but now I watch it daily.

I'm so impressed by Charlie's first game, he looks like a top player who could go on to win the finals, provided he does come across another brilliant player on the way. He certainly looks better than anyone so far this series.

Looking forward to todays game.

best wishes

John
alan gray

Post by alan gray »

Hello. My name is Alan Gray and I appeared in series 57. I won shows before being beaten on the conundrum.

Found out about this site when Charlie advertised it on tv.

Really interesting site and very informative.

Been watching show since it first aired. Richard Whiteley host, Kathy Hytner and Beverly Isherwood on the letters and numbers. Carol solving the numbers and Ted Moult in DC
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Has this place got some publicity or something?
That's a joke, right? :lol:
Not at all! I've not seen anything that would suggest that this website has had wider promotion. I'm guessing that it was maybe mentioned on the programme? I've not watched Countdown in months, so that sort of thing would pass me by.
I do apologise Ian, sorry :oops:

Charlie plugged the site on his debut yesterday.

Also welcome to the forum John and Alan.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Welcome, Junaid and Kathleen. :)
I'm going to be taking part in CoLin too, although slightly daunted by the prospect of being in such esteemed company.
Jon Corby wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:
You may find his mental illness amusing, but spare a thought for the influx of new people reading this bilge and wondering what on earth they've joined.
ASD is a condition, Jon, not an illness, and many of those affected, and their families, see it as a gift.
Personally, I find Jason's special insights to be interesting, and you can't deny that he loves Countdown, which is what this forum is about.

Not everyone is as intolerant as you, Jon, and you shouldn't assume that the new members are.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Hi there,

Thanks Joseph and welcome to all the other new members. What a great site to meet up with like-minded people. I live in Spain so had the same problem as John when I first came here 37 years ago, but as soon as I managed to get my satellite system I got hooked on Countdown and watch it every day, or record it if I have to go out. It's surprising that the finals will be recorded next week and spoils the illusion a bit. I hope Charlie and Kai do well - looks like the winner could be one of them. Keep watching and playing along with the show as it keeps the old brain cells healthy, I believe.

Kathie
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:Not everyone is as intolerant as you, Jon, and you shouldn't assume that the new members are.
Oh do shut right up, I'm not intolerant :x
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Julie T wrote:Not everyone is as intolerant as you, Jon, and you shouldn't assume that the new members are.
I think, Julie, that he disparages everyone equally, or as they deserve it, whichever is worse. :geek:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hello to the other two new members!

John Martin, I certainly am glad that you still watch Countdown even though you live in France, as am I for you, Kathie!

Do you both watch Countdown on UK Nova? I do!

Welcome to you too, Alan!

And Jon Corby, I am not mentally ill!
Cameron Burrows

Re: Welcome!

Post by Cameron Burrows »

Hi, Countdown fans

My name is CameronI Burrows, and I have been watching Countdown for about eight years. I am 25 yrs old, and live in Dagenham, Essex where I work in a supermarket where I work on Customer Services.
I go to the Salvation Army in Oxford Street, London. Its called Regent Hall and is opposite British Home Stores. I play euphonium in the band (its like a small tuba) and also sing in the choir.
I am also a big, big fan of Facebook, so if anybody wants to add me as a friend, please feel free.
Anyway, as I am typing this, I am watching Charlie Reams way ahead after getting a nine letter word.
Good work Charlie and Co, and keep up the forum.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Cameron!

Welcome to the forum!
Deek Fleming

Post by Deek Fleming »

Hello to all,

Watch Countdown regularly, and have just joined having heard of the site from Des on todays show..

That boy Charlie - he's a bit good, eh?

Cheers

Deeks
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

kathleen batlle wrote:Hi there,
Hi Kathleen. Welcome.
I am struck by your name. Kathleen Battle is also a pretty splendid American soprano.
I think she still does a few recitals, but in her operatic heyday she was excellent.
I am sure you have equally amazing talents.
Ralph
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Deek(s)
Hope you enjoy it here.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ian Volante wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
I think, Julie, that he disparages everyone equally, or as they deserve it, whichever is worse. :geek:
Um, maybe I shouldn't 'feed the troll'.
I still think I was right to say something. I'm sure many more people would've been put off by Jon's comment rather than Jason's post, or my reaction to Jon's comment.
As Jason says, he is not mentally ill.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Back on topic, hello and welcome to our many new members!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Deek!

Welcome to the forum!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:Back on topic, hello and welcome to our many new members!
I second that! :D Keeping us in check, Charlie! ;)

Welcome John Martin, Alan Gray, Deek and Cameron. :)

Sorry if I missed anyone out: there's a lot of new members after a certain someone's publicity! :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julie T wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Back on topic, hello and welcome to our many new members!
I second that! :D Keeping us in check, Charlie! ;)

Welcome John Martin, Alan Gray, Deek and Cameron. :)

Sorry if I missed anyone out: there's a lot of new members after a certain someone's publicity! :D
I'm sure theres a plethora of new members yet to come :D

Welcome to the forum Cameron and Deek :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Welcome!

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Cameron Burrows wrote:I am 25 yrs old, and live in Dagenham, Essex where I work in a supermarket where I work on Customer Services.
Cool, I'm from Rainham. Went to school and the rest of it in Daggers -- All Saints. Which supermarket do you work in?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I should have probably posted here by now. My name's Martin and I will be on the show in November. I signed on here, because Damien Eadie told me to.

So erm, hello.
Caroline Foord

Post by Caroline Foord »

Hi everyone,
I saw the show yesterday and after Charlie mentioned the website I just had to join up.I have been watching Countdown since it first started and enjoy it a lot.Since it went to the earlier time I have to record it and watch it in the evening but it's better than most other stuf on TV anyway!I miss Richard Whiteley but Des does a good job and Carole would be impossible to replace.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Hello everyone. I found out about this forum from yesterday's programme so I thought I'd pop in and see what it's all about.

I've watched the show since its inception and have only missed it when I've been on holiday. In fact, we were away when Richard Whiteley died and the news came as quite a shock to us. I appeared on a fairly early Countdown, way back in 1985. I was unfortunate enough to come up against Clive Freedman - in fact I was his final victim before he went on to the knockout stage. If memory serves me correctly, he went on to become the first Champion of Champions. If only I'd been selected for the next show, I'm confident I'd have won. :roll: I'd love to have another go but I guess it's unlikely.

I'm sure the future of the show will have been discussed elsewhere on the forum but, as I'm a newbie I hope you won't mind if I throw in my tuppenceworth. I've never been enamoured of Des O'Connor as a host. He has a pleasant enough personality and an easy way with the contestants, but I'm just not sure that he's up to the job. My choice to replace him would be Tom O'Connor. He has long years of experience hosting game shows and has been on Countdown often enough to know what it's all about and to run it well, I believe. Replacing Carol will be much more difficult. So long as the lovely Susie Dent remains, all will be well! :D

So, now that I've introduced myself, I'll spend some time looking around the forum and I hope to get to know you all as time goes by.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Welcome to all the newcomers turning up in (relative) droves - It is good to see so many like-minded people joining the forum, both young and older alike.

Good to see that Charlie has done such a good PR job, ably assisted by Des and Carol!

Allan
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

Hello,

Like many others (I imagine) I only became aware of this site when Charlie mentioned it the other day (as it were). Glad to have found it, though I am rather in awe of all the ex-contestants and champions on here - I only occasionally "beat" Dictionary Corner, and I am hopeless at the numbers (unless it is very easy). But I watch regularly and have done for (?) about 10 years - when I started watching regularly it was still the half-hour format and the programme was followed by 15 to 1. (I remember Richard Whiteley advertising for contestants once, after which he added "...and if you don't get on, you can go down the corridor to 15-1, they're always looking for people". :lol:

I am six times the age of Kai (!), and I look forward to a splendid run with Charlie.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum Martin Bishop, Caroline Foord, Andy Thomson and John Douglas (think thats all of them :lol:).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Welcome to the forum Martin Bishop, Caroline Foord, Andy Thomson and John Douglas (think thats all of them :lol:).
As well as welcoming all new users, allow me to congratulate Mr. Bolas on (unsurprisingly) nabbing c4countdown's 15000th post since the move to the new forum! :)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hello all!
David Gunn
Rookie

Post by David Gunn »

Hello, my name is David Gunn and I live in Bisley, Surrey, which is 8 miles north of Guildford for those of you not aware of where the NRA ranges are.
Like many of the recent posters I'm one of "Charlie's newbies", having watched in awe for the last 2 days.
I've watched Countdown occasionally over the years, when not working, most notably in 1996-7 when I was made redundant and took 18 months to find another job! I retired earlier this year (though I'm younger than John, above) so I've been a more regular viewer over the last 6 months.
I usually watch on Channel4+1, so I'll have to be careful of logging on between 4.10-4.25 in case of any spoilers, like today!
Last edited by David Gunn on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Ralph wrote:
kathleen batlle wrote:Hi there,
Hi Kathleen. Welcome.
I am struck by your name. Kathleen Battle is also a pretty splendid American soprano.
I think she still does a few recitals, but in her operatic heyday she was excellent.
I am sure you have equally amazing talents.
Ralph
Hi Ralph and all the other newcomers.
Wow, isn't Charlie doing well? Had to record it as I was out this afternoon.
Goodness, I didn't know I had a namesake who is an American soprano, although the surname is spelt a little differently. My name is spelt with one t and two ll's. I know it's a strange name for a Brit, but my husband is Catalan and, as we were married in UK, I had to take his name. In Spain, where we live, women keep their maiden name, so it's all a bit complicated. Incidentally, Batlle, means 'Lord Mayor' in Catalan, so somewhere in the distant past someone in my husband's family must have been the Lord Mayor of the town. Nothing so grand for us now as I was a secretary and my husband a builder, but we've both been retired for a few years. This is why I can watch Countdown each day on my satellite system. I can get Channel 4, the same as in UK. I feel so much more involved now that I've joined this website, so thanks Charlie for mentioning it yesterday and, believe me, I'm really gunning for you now.

Kathie
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Martin, Caroline, Andy, John Douglas and David!

Welcome to the forum to you all!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

kathleen batlle wrote:[I know it's a strange name for a Brit, but my husband is Catalan and, as we were married in UK, I had to take his name.
I'm fairly sure not everyone does.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
kathleen batlle wrote:[I know it's a strange name for a Brit, but my husband is Catalan and, as we were married in UK, I had to take his name.
True. My brother-in-law took my sister's name, for one.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Ben Hunter wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
True. My brother-in-law took my sister's name, for one.
Hi there,
Oh yes, of course, but in 1971 it wasn't very normal, or, to be honest, I didn't even think about it. I was 'up in the clouds' with the romance of it all and probably thought a foreign surname added to the sentiment of the occasion.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

kathleen batlle wrote:Oh yes, of course, but in 1971 it wasn't very normal, or, to be honest, I didn't even think about it. I was 'up in the clouds' with the romance of it all and probably thought a foreign surname added to the sentiment of the occasion.
It's a cool surname, particularly as it will look like a typo to everyone who encounters it in Britain and you can feel superior as you correct them.
bill blyth

Post by bill blyth »

Well heard about this site on the programme earlier in the week so thought I would join and see what it is all about. Both my wife and I have been avid viewers since the early days and we usually record the programme and watch it later in the evening. It is a great pity the audience figures have fallen so dramitically since Richard's death, possibly like ourselves many did not take to the first Des and certainly when he did Sports Mastermind we were not impressed, but we like Des O'Connor but with both he and Carol leaving what might be the fate of the show if the audience figures drop further and advertisers shun it as well. Hopefully that won't happen but with the present credit crunch advertisers will only go where they will get max benefit and they might not agree that Countdown will meet their requirements. Anyway will go now we both enjoy cruising and I set up a website to keep friends/contacts in touch with what we are doing and if you are interested it can be found at http://billblyth.co.uk Well this afternoons programme will have started to record and we will look forward to watching it later on this evening.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

It's about time the forum had a larger community. It's a great site and all the people are friendly and quite a few are amazing Countdowners! Welcome all the new people; I'm sort of new myself.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jason Larsen wrote: Since you're a member here, I thought I should ask you a question. What nationality is your first name? I didn't detect an accent when you spoke, and I'm really curious to find out! By the way, Junaid, if Jeff Stelling is named the new host of Countdown in Series 60, you'll be a very happy man! Come on, Junaid! Chant it with me! Jeff! Jeff! Jeff!
Hello Jason; to answer your question, my name comes from Arabic, meaning 'little warrior'...some say it's half appropriate. I won't say which half. I'm accent-less due to the fact that I've lived in Derby and Coventry most of my life, where such things are forbidden. Anyway, onto more important stuff...

Jeff! Jeff! Jeff!

Sing it from the rooftops! How awesome would he be?!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Heard about this from Charlie's appearance on THE programme this week. Quite surprised how positive the presenters were about what is presumably an unofficial site.
Charlie is certainly doing well and I would love to see him head to head with little Kai - what a kid!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Jeff! Jeff! Jeff!

Sing it from the rooftops! How awesome would he be?!

Sorry to break your heart Little Warrior, but......................

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a132820/ ... tdown.html
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Hi all, my name's Di and i can't believe i have not known about this site until Charlie has appeared on Countdown.

I am a total Countdown addict, have been since the first day it began, back in my youth when i used to be an avid reader of the dictionary :D my particular claim to fame being the frequency of my beating Carol on the numbers games, although i'm sure i'd have some serious competition from many on here, and Junaid was a particularly tough rival too.

When i heard Carol was leaving, i wrote to Channel 4 to suggest they run a competition show, like ITV did with their 'Search for a Weathergirl', and of course i'd like my name first on the list :lol: i got an acknowledgement, but not a reply.

Who could they get to replace Carol? i'm sure there'll be a topic on it here, but i haven't had time to read much of your site yet. Carol couldn't be replaced by another celebrity, unless they had her incredibly fast arithmetic skills, so there should be a nationwide search for her replacement.

What is going to happen to the show when she leaves? I can't bear the thought, i even have withdrawal symptoms when they have their summer break :shock:

My ambition is to live in Spain sometime in the future, so thank goodness you can watch it online now.

Great to see so many past contestants on here. I haven't got around to applying yet, so i hope i haven't completely missed my chance. This series has been particularly enjoyable, with such great personalities as Charlie, Junaid and of course young Kai all heading for the finals. Good luck to you all, i wouldn't even want to try to pick the winner amongst you.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Bill, John Bosley and Di!

Welcome to the forum to you all!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

All new users should say a big thank you to my fellow moderator Ben Wilson, who has been busy approving our huge number of new memberships at all hours of day and night. We're keen to retain our manual system because it keeps spam out and trolling minimised, but it's pretty overwhelming to find 30 new "activate user account" requests every time I log in. So thanks to him for keeping everything ticking over, and welcome to the many newbies.
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

Hi my name is Jeff Wharton I have been a fan of Countdown for about 12 years.
Not brilliant at the game myself but I like doing the numbers game.Sometimes
I manage to get some that Carol misses and start shouting at the screen telling
her how to do it.Now I can come on here and say how I beat Carol.I don,t think
it will be too often though.When Charlie mentioned this site on his first game
I could not make out what he had said before the word Countdown.I had recorded
the programme and replayed that bit about four times and still could not pick
out what he had said.Then on his second game Carol repeated the site A.D.
I then picked out C4 clearly.I wonder if it was realised that it was indistinct
when Charlie said it.Or perhaps it was just my ears not working properly.
I live in Leicester and I support St.Helens rugby league team.I like doing
sudoku and code word puzzles.
The last couple of weeks have been the best of the series with Juniad,
Kai and now Charlie.Thanks for this site it will make my Countdown
watching even better.Jeff
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

This is just a quick welcome to the many people who've joined the forum in the week that I've been away. I couldn't believe how many new names there were when I first logged in today. Then I saw the introduction to Charlie's appearance on the programme last Wednesday, and realised why. Good to see so many have taken up Charlie's suggestion and joined.

I'll not stay in this thread any longer right now, as I've already spotted a few spoilers for some of the six programmes I missed while being away, so before I spot any more clues as to what's happened in those six programmes, I'll go away and watch them before reading any further. No doubt there'll be many more new members before I get back later this weekend.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Charlie, I thought that everyone was free to join the Countdown forum!

And Jeff, welcome.
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

jeff wharton wrote:When Charlie mentioned this site on his first game
I could not make out what he had said before the word Countdown. ... I wonder if it was realised that it was indistinct
when Charlie said it.Or perhaps it was just my ears not working properly.
Jeff
I must say I thought it was "cforCountdown" and could not understand why Google threw up several alternative but totally unrelated suggestions. Then I twigged. (DUH!!)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

John, it doesn't take much to complete this sentence:

"Countdown is on Channel...

See?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum David, Bill, John, Di and Jeff :)
Charlie Reams wrote:All new users should say a big thank you to my fellow moderator Ben Wilson, who has been busy approving our huge number of new memberships at all hours of day and night. We're keen to retain our manual system because it keeps spam out and trolling minimised, but it's pretty overwhelming to find 30 new "activate user account" requests every time I log in. So thanks to him for keeping everything ticking over, and welcome to the many newbies.
I know I ain't a new member but well done Ben for approving, over the past few days, approx 120 members :o

That must have kept you busy :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Approving? I don't know why! I don't have a clue!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Welcome all newbies, including those who haven't wanted to post in 'welcome' yet. Go on, you know you want to! :)
I'm especially happy to see a few more women joining, as I've had to imagine the others all sat at their computers in frocks.
Charlie looks particularly fetching in an off the shoulder powder blue number. :mrgreen:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok, Julie.

And just in case anyone's missed it...

Ch, ch-ch-ch
Ch, ch-ch-ch
Ch, ch-ch-ch
Ch, ch-ch-ch

We love Countdown
We go to town
We play it forever and ever and ever
It's always in bounds
The incredible game of Countdown
Let's make some words and let's do some math and win a nice teapot
Oh, yes
Alexander, we love you so
You're our new friend
We love you so, we love you so
We love Countdown
We go to town
We love Countdown
We go to town
We play it forever and ever and ever
It's always in bounds
The incredible game of Countdown
Let's make some words and let's do some math and let's make some words, let's do some math and win
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Wonderful, Jason! :D

In caseanyone wants to listen to Jon O'Neill's tribute to Jason's original song, here it is:

http://apterous.org/podcast31.mp3

Very movingly read as a poem for Jason's birthday. 8-)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Julie!

My Series 60 version has an introduction because it is meant to be more hip. My Series 59 version had no introduction.

However, both versions were written with the likeness of a man we all admire, Bruce Forsyth.
David Jervis

Post by David Jervis »

Thanks very sincerely to everyone who helped start and carry on this site. So far as I've explored it so far it looks great. I'm not sure how you approve applicants though. I am aged 72, and used to work for the British Library. For many years I have been looking at Countdown every night, just before going to bed. I do this with my wife who is much better at it than I. I think it is the personalities I like particularly contestants especially those like Connor who knew all the words but not what they meant! I remember one "classic" repeated episode when at least two 9s were discovered in succession. No doubt someone knows the date this occurred. Anyway best of luck to everyone and if ever I notice something worth commenting on I am resolved (at least at present) to comment on it. David Jervis.
Chris Waddington

Post by Chris Waddington »

Hi all,
I only heard about this site watching Charlie Reams the other day, so I've now registered. I've been a Countdown fan for many years. I suppose my main claim to fame is that I was champion of Series 21 (I think) back in 1991, but I have always said that I am not one of the best players. It was a great experience, and I thoroughly recommend anyone to have a go. Currently, I look forward to see how far Charlie Reams goes; he's definitely one of the best I've seen over the years.