Des chiffres et une lettre de plus !

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Des chiffres et une lettre de plus !

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Buongiorno.

It has come to my attention that the French parent of this game has moved to ten letters. Did it in April, apparently.

That is all.

What do you think?
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Re: Des chiffres et une lettre de plus !

Post by Robert Baxter »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Buongiorno.

It has come to my attention that the French parent of this game has moved to ten letters. Did it in April, apparently.

That is all.

What do you think?
Already knew that. :geek:
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

How cool am I wrote: Already knew that. :geek:
Well done.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

That is all.

What do you think?
Bizarre. It would be mental if they changed it here.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Good shout Jeff - I'll scan the TV5 listings. One of the joys of my satellite TV package is that I used to be able to (and hopefully still can) watch dCedL on TV5.

I'm surprised they've changed the formula. The change doesn't seem to be motivated by viewing figures, and it will possibly just annoy purists. Is this going to affect the format of any future tournaments you might be entering?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

That is all.

What do you think?
Ha - I'd never seen it and only read the Wiki page to it recently. I say read - I mean scanned the French pretty briefly. So it was news to me it used to be 9, although I was intrigued by the 10 letters. Foreign variant suggestion?

I hope they don't change the English one though. I know change can be a good thing, but not in this case. It'll look all wrong on the TV for at least, 5, 6 episodes :P
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I asked a friend what he thought, being a tournament regular (and indeed longstanding host of the Le Havre annual event) and he said that after the initial furore and concerns that gameplay and performance among the keenest would be thrown into disarray, people have now settled down and seem to be enjoying it.

Most tournaments are making the shift to ten letters as the calendar rolls round - I understand that the events I want to attend in November and February in Paris will follow suit. Mon ami says the best players are still the best, and everyone else still plays at their level, but I think my next step will be to start practising with ten letters!

Jeff