Five years on

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Five years on

Post by Chris Philpot »

This day five years ago, we all heard the extremely sad news that Richard Whiteley had passed on at the age of just 61 years old. As much as the show we all love is as strong, if not arguably stronger in many ways, than during Richard's era it's certainly fair to say the show would never have lasted as long as it has (and as long as I'm sure we all hope it will) without the wit and warmth of surely the most intelligent 'bumbling fool' there ever was. May his spirit live on in the memories of the thousands who watched, knew and loved him.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Five years on

Post by James Robinson »

I still can't believe it's 5 years since he left us. I remember the morning when his death was announced, I was just starting work experience and I turned the TV on that morning and found out that he had passed away. I felt well depressed during that whole day. It was unbelievable to think that that brilliant man, who I had the pleasure to meet on 2 occasions, had just gone.

He was definitely one of the kindest men you could have ever met. When I was first on the show at the age of 14, he helped me settle into the challenger's chair, when I was feeling a little nervous and he made sure I had no need to feel nervous. He was clearly committed to the show (well he had hosted it for just gone 20 years!) and the whole atmosphere was just complete with him in the studio.

Still very much missed. :( :cry:

R.I.P. Richard.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James Robinson wrote:I still can't believe it's 5 years since he left us.
This makes no logical sense.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matthew Green wrote:
He's been correct to disbelieve such a statement for most of the last five years though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

How time flies. No doubt he would be proud of the continued success of both show and game.

Jeff
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:
He's been correct to disbelieve such a statement for most of the last five years though.
Actually yes, that must be what he meant. I still can't believe it though.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

I still cannot believe that after 5 years that the great Richard Whiteley left us.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover