Auditions

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Auditions

Post by Matt Coates »

My mate has applied to go on Countdown, he got a phone call to say he will be given a phone audition.

Is this new, when I applied I had an audition in a hotel.

Also people could cheat the new system.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Auditions

Post by Ian Volante »

It's standard for a lot of shows, it's an easy way of weeding out the real dross. Most people would (I expect) get invited to a face-to-face interview afterwards.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Vickers (Series 61) had a phone audition. He was in Canada at the time though I think.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Matt Coates wrote:.... people could cheat the new system.
Pretty pointless cheating on the audition when you'll end up looking like a spanner on the show. It's like cheating on apterous, who, in their right mind, could be remotely arsed?
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Ryan Vickers (Series 61) had a phone audition. He was in Canada at the time though I think.
I do believe he lives there?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jeff Clayton wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Ryan Vickers (Series 61) had a phone audition. He was in Canada at the time though I think.
I do believe he lives there?
Yeah, he had already planned his world tour for the year and so tied in the Countdown appearance when he was in the British leg of the journey. Vick's World Tour can all be read Here
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

A friend of mine who applied (unsuccessfully) last year had a phone audition.Hazarding a guess I'd imagine that in these financially hard times its attraction is that it saves on booking hotel rooms or other audition venues as well as the travel expenses for the production team when they have to audition people from all over the country.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote:A friend of mine who applied (unsuccessfully) last year had a phone audition.Hazarding a guess I'd imagine that in these financially hard times its attraction is that it saves on booking hotel rooms or other audition venues as well as the travel expenses for the production team when they have to audition people from all over the country.
Correct.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I had a phone audition: it was fine. Shame about my recording... :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Lesley Hines wrote:I had a phone audition: it was fine. Shame about my recording... :lol:
What happened?
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

when i was recording recently they were saying they were really struggling for people for the end of may so it might have something to do with that.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:I had a phone audition: it was fine. Shame about my recording... :lol:
What happened?
It was fine really until I found out I'd be playing some utter stud (young fit lad...) and then I just went to jelly. Weak at the knees. (It couldn't possibly be that he was a better player than me.) If only I could remember his name :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
What happened?
It was fine really until I found out I'd be playing some utter stud (young fit lad...) and then I just went to jelly. Weak at the knees. (It couldn't possibly be that he was a better player than me.) If only I could remember his name :mrgreen:

LOL, Lesley is teh legend.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
What happened?

A-LOL :!:
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:A friend of mine who applied (unsuccessfully) last year had a phone audition.Hazarding a guess I'd imagine that in these financially hard times its attraction is that it saves on booking hotel rooms or other audition venues as well as the travel expenses for the production team when they have to audition people from all over the country.
Correct.
I actually feel quite priveleged that mine was at the London Studios now. :D
Oh, cackwires!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Had audition today, having sat in traffic on the M62 (to Leeds) getting my 75 times table sorted in my head and then losing it completely in the interview.
Is going through your 75 times table while driving more dangerous than texting? It is surely not illegal - yet!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

John Bosley wrote:Had audition today, having sat in traffic on the M62 (to Leeds) getting my 75 times table sorted in my head and then losing it completely in the interview.
Is going through your 75 times table while driving more dangerous than texting? It is surely not illegal - yet!
When I auditioned, I didn't know my 75 times tables.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Had audition today, having sat in traffic on the M62 (to Leeds) getting my 75 times table sorted in my head and then losing it completely in the interview.
You don't need to if you're a stud muffin.

Unlucky John - did they tell you how you got on or was it a sympathetically polite smile-type effort? They did tell me when I applied that only ~1/3 (or similar invented stat) get through on their first application, so don't lose heart.

I can recommend somewhere to practice, if that helps?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
You don't need to if you're a stud muffin.

Unlucky John - did they tell you how you got on or was it a sympathetically polite smile-type effort? They did tell me when I applied that only ~1/3 (or similar invented stat) get through on their first application, so don't lose heart.

I can recommend somewhere to practice, if that helps?
Sounds like you're writing off his audition on the basis that he forgot his 75 times table!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Sounds like you're writing off his audition on the basis that he forgot his 75 times table!
Just realised how that read - I meant unlucky about losing it in the interview.

Then: Did they tell you how you got on - I wasn't assuming he hadn't done fantastic stuff otherwise :)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I'll just have to wait and see. I got reasonable word scores and just one of the numbers - but I guess it depends on your face and your manner as well!
:) If I get on the prog, I shall make a point of looking in at apteros - thanks for the suggestions.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

John Bosley wrote:- but I guess it depends on your face and your manner as well!
:)
Nah, I got on! Seriously, I'm not sure they take your face into consideration (particularly as they sometimes do phone auditions) but manners may count (e.g. if you were a total arrogant arse, they probably wouldn't put you on).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:but manners may count (e.g. if you were a total arrogant arse, they probably wouldn't put you on).
How did you get on?
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote: but manners may count (e.g. if you were a total arrogant arse, they probably wouldn't put you on).
There are a couple of names that spring to mind that would contradict this theory.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: but manners may count (e.g. if you were a total arrogant arse, they probably wouldn't put you on).
There are a couple of names that spring to mind that would contradict this theory.
There's certainly been a few in DC that fit that bill.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I didn't actually mean arrogant, I meant people as described in "Spreading the Word", e.g. that woman who allegedly was so sure her word was in the dictionary that she ripped it from Damian's hands and checked it herself, before accepting it wasn't valid. Apparently she was excellent at the game but didn't get on due to her attitude, although I'm not sure about the validity of the story.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Shit - but apparently I 'came close to passing'; so after weeping into my coffee, I decided to try again.
I must say it is much easier 'on screen' than having to write down all the letters while they are being spoken.
OK! You told me to try apteros - I will, I will.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Tough John.
Sorry to hear of your disappointment.
But great to hear you will go into extra training and try again.
Good luck.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

John Bosley wrote:Shit - but apparently I 'came close to passing'; so after weeping into my coffee, I decided to try again.
I must say it is much easier 'on screen' than having to write down all the letters while they are being spoken.
OK! You told me to try apteros - I will, I will.
Apterous. Maybe a bit more attention to detail next time might get you in. ;)
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

If the powers that be see that I cannot even spell apterous, what chance have I got?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Got a new invitation to audition but feel like not bothering. Life is too short and I have other things to do. Anyway, that's my excuse.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Perhaps the things many of us regret are missed opportunities.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Bit the bullet today and applied. Dunno my dates yet, but I'm gonna have to hit Apterous hard now :twisted:
Last edited by Ben Hunter on Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:Bit the bullet today and applied. Dunno my dates yet, but I'm gonna have to hit Apterous hard now :twisted:
Sweet. Let me know when you're on and I'll try to come.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Will do :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Good stuff Ben H. I'm sure once you've overcome the initial friction and nerves you'll find it a most enjoyable experience. :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Wilson wrote:Good stuff Ben H. I'm sure once you've overcome the initial friction and nerves you'll find it a most enjoyable experience. :)
:D Hahaha.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

:D
Ben Wilson wrote:Good stuff Ben H. I'm sure once you've overcome the initial friction and nerves you'll find it a most enjoyable experience. :)
Haha. Oh no, the dreaded interthread!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Good luck Ben :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I passed my audition about 2 months ago. I've already let a handful of ppl know, but mostly tried to keep it a secret from the forum, but I don't see the harm in letting everyone on here knowing that I'm going to be in the nest series.

I wont be posting any details of my recording date(s)/transmission date(s) on here, so those of you who care enough will just have to keep your eyes peeled.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Thanks for letting me know. The "nest" series should be good with you, Scott and potentially Ben. How many people can you hold in your hand btw? Look forward to seeing you on the telly.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

You should have put a spoiler warning on that series champion announcement ;) . Can't wait to watch your shows Jack.