Australian Countdown!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Aaron

Australian Countdown!

Post by Aaron »

I've only posted on here a few times, but I'm surprised nobody has found this yet...

SBS is launching our favorite letters and numbers game in Australia!

They're looking for contestants right now -http://www.sbs.com.au/article/117212/Co ... -quiz-show

As far as I can tell from looking at other articles about this show, it will premiere in June. Let the countdown (ahem) begin!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Australian Countdown!

Post by James Robinson »

Kids will probably miffed when they find out that you have to be 16 years old to apply.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Do they pay travel expenses from England? What's the prize? If it's big bucks then it's almost worth paying for a flight out there.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Hard luck, Kirk. Rumour has it they're in close contact with Mr. Eadie to ensure that no-one gets on a second time. (Or in some cases, third. ;) )
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Alas, SBS is a government-run channel, and I think that means no cash prizes.

On a related note, if you can come up with a viable way to make Countdown a big-money game, I'd love to know it. That's probably the only way it will ever get on TV in America!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Aaron wrote:

On a related note, if you can come up with a viable way to make Countdown a big-money game, I'd love to know it. That's probably the only way it will ever get on TV in America!
Ask Barry Hearn. Darts took off in the 80s and 90s and now they play for massive money. There should be tournaments around the country week in week out like on the PDC circuit...£100 entry fee and if you win 2 games, you've already won £200. £6000 for the winner on the day. That would be ace.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

James Robinson wrote:Kids will probably miffed when they find out that you have to be 16 years old to apply.
:cry:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

James Robinson wrote:
Kids will probably miffed when they find out that you have to be 16 years old to apply.

:cry:

No way!! As if Kai??!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

In response to what Kirk Bevins said...Thank you Kirk, but I didn't mean a big money tournament game...I meant a big money TV game show. I can't speak for every country, but in America right now, it seems that every new game show has to follow the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire\Deal Or No Deal huge jackpot model.

This may simply be urban legend, but it's rumored that Have I Got News For You offered big bucks in its US pilot.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well, I was only off by two months. "Letters And Numbers" will premiere on Monday, August 2 on Australia's SBS1.

The host is Richard Morecroft (an Australian newscaster, as far as I can tell), Lily Serna is filling the Rachel role, and Dictionary Corner is David Astle.

Assuming I can track down an episode, I'll post my impressions here.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Aaron wrote:Well, I was only off by two months. "Letters And Numbers" will premiere on Monday, August 2 on Australia's SBS1.

The host is Richard Morecroft (an Australian newscaster, as far as I can tell), Lily Serna is filling the Rachel role, and Dictionary Corner is David Astle.

Assuming I can track down an episode, I'll post my impressions here.
I bet Kirk is saving up his airfare. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe in the future we could have a countdown version of 'The Ashes'
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

^^ (Y)
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

I've just watched the first episode:

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lettersandn ... ch-Online/

The Australian ran a preview piece which churned out the usual Countdown cliches (sample: "..this new local version is no living coma of a TV show, seemingly aimed at the clinically unwell, long-term unemployed or ancient folk with afternoons to fill, like the British version"). Drongos.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ar ... 5897516911
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Lucy Gowers wrote:I've just watched the first episode:

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lettersandn ... ch-Online/
Thanks very much for posting this, have just watched it, and it was...pretty bad. It's remarkable how much they've copied the UK Countdown set though, right down to the numbers/letters board that spins around (unless we in turn stole that from the French, or something).
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Thanks Lucy.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I love the way the board bangs when Lily writes on it!

It is pretty bad considering how it was hyped up in the article Lucy posted the link to.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

SPOILERS.

BEAUTS was there as an equaller. Quick off the mark! Took about 6 seconds, he should meet Kirk.

Quite enjoyable, very short though and the clock music wasn't loud enough really, still an alright show.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

FAIRDINKUM as a beater in round 3.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Have Elaine and Mel Giedroyc ever been seen in the same room at the same time?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I thought that it was pretty good considering that it was the first ever show. It did appear quite different to the our countdown, as it seemed like they were openly using solvers for the rounds, and it looked as though the contestants were either actors or had had quite a bit of screen training before they went on the show. It also ran a bit too smoothly, which suggests they might have done many takes, or that the episode was generally more heavily scripted than our version, which is recorded almost continuously in one take if possible.

It was clear from round one that the dicionaries used were different, as TOILINGS was allowed, when its not valid in OED, and then in the next round, MATIER was disallowed, when its actually good in OED.

I also quite liked the bloke in dictionary corner, he must have had a bit of telly experience already also.

One thing that pissed me off a bit was the speed at which the conundrum was revealed. I don't think they realise that it needs to be revealed almost instantly as opposed to over a 1 second gap, in which those with better eyesight will get a major advantage.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My thoughts:

Gameplay: Letters, Letters, Numbers, Break (complete with Teaser), Letters, Letters, Numbers, Break, Letters, Numbers, Conundrum. Feels a little short, but the order of the rounds is the least of my worries.

Hosts: Richard Morecroft annoyed me a little, but that could just be because he's explaining all the rules I already know. David Astle's attempt at the origin of words segment feels very thrown in.

Set: A carbon copy of the British version...what more is there to say?

Music: No where near that of Countdown. The clock music sounds...tinny.

All in all, I like it and I hope the Australians do. Look at it this way - it beats what I'd likely get in America.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I loved the way contestant Elaine chose four large numbers and two small suggesting she was good at the numbers game. The total was 750 and she had a 7, 100 and a 50 but declared nothing saying "I lost it..." :D :D :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Corby wrote:I loved the way contestant Elaine chose four large numbers and two small suggesting she was good at the numbers game. The total was 750 and she had a 7, 100 and a 50 but declared nothing saying "I lost it..." :D :D :D
Yeah, this was incredible. If the producers of the show are watching, then I'd quite happily make a guest appearance in the audience one day (or even as a contestant) - as long as they pay my flights :)
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote: If the producers of the show are watching, then I'd quite happily make a guest appearance in the audience one day (or even as a contestant) - as long as they pay my flights :)
Brave to risk your reputation. Different dictionary. You may not be that impressive down under..
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Lucy Gowers wrote: The Australian ran a preview piece which churned out the usual Countdown cliches (sample: "..this new local version is no living coma of a TV show, seemingly aimed at the clinically unwell, long-term unemployed or ancient folk with afternoons to fill, like the British version"). Drongos.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ar ... 5897516911
Also from this article,

"The British quiz was originally hosted by the avuncular Richard Whiteley, perhaps a little too fond of mildly lascivious jokes"

How dare they!!

"He's pulled off a remarkable transformation with Letters and Numbers. Apart from a much cooler bunch of presenters, the local show is faster and much smarter-looking than the British version."

Bollocks

Having watched the first episode, it was fairly pedestrian; there was no banter or rapport between the presenters. Hopefully it will improve over time, as I really would like it to succeed.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Chris Corby wrote:I loved the way contestant Elaine chose four large numbers and two small suggesting she was good at the numbers game. The total was 750 and she had a 7, 100 and a 50 but declared nothing saying "I lost it..." :D :D :D
I wonder, from the first couple episodes, whether the producers are saying "you know, two large is the easiest numbers game...."

I also think it's great that the last light on the clock lights up at about :28, well ahead of the hand getting there (but not consistently -- are the lights not hooked up to the clock?).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Andrew Feist wrote:I wonder, from the first couple episodes, whether the producers are saying "you know, two large is the easiest numbers game...."
I've noticed (both on apterous and on the show fairly recently) that 2 large seems to be a weirdly popular pick. One theory I've heard is that it's perceived as easier because it's slightly more of a mix (people know that 4 large is hard and 6 small is hard, so 2 large is halfway between?). Charlie hopefully has some stats on this when he's not too busy with this 'job' phase.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:I wonder, from the first couple episodes, whether the producers are saying "you know, two large is the easiest numbers game...."
I've noticed (both on apterous and on the show fairly recently) that 2 large seems to be a weirdly popular pick. One theory I've heard is that it's perceived as easier because it's slightly more of a mix (people know that 4 large is hard and 6 small is hard, so 2 large is halfway between?). Charlie hopefully has some stats on this when he's not too busy with this 'job' phase.
2 large numbers games are solvable more of the time than any other but not neccessarily easier because of the many ways to go about it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
2 large numbers games are solvable more of the time than any other but not neccessarily easier because of the many ways to go about it.
Thanks for that, captain obvious. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:
It's weird because years ago, I seem to remember no-one ever going for two large and I kept wanting them to, so I could see what it was like.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: I've noticed (both on apterous and on the show fairly recently) that 2 large seems to be a weirdly popular pick. One theory I've heard is that it's perceived as easier because it's slightly more of a mix (people know that 4 large is hard and 6 small is hard, so 2 large is halfway between?). Charlie hopefully has some stats on this when he's not too busy with this 'job' phase.
Thanks for that, captain obvious. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Since this was obvious, what was the point of your first response? 2 large shouldn't be "weirdly" popular.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:Since this was obvious, what was the point of your first response? 2 large shouldn't be "weirdly" popular.
It's only obvious to the freaks like me who populate c4c, I used lots of emoticons to indicate I wasn't being entirely serious ;) :) :D :lol: ;) :roll: :geek: :ugeek:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Since this was obvious, what was the point of your first response? 2 large shouldn't be "weirdly" popular.
It's only obvious to the freaks like me who populate c4c, I used lots of emoticons to indicate I wasn't being entirely serious ;) :) :D :lol: ;) :roll: :geek: :ugeek:
But now it looks like you're filling in for James while he is holidaying.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think the relevant stat is "cluelessness vs probability of picking 2 large", which is quite hard to generate.

Jason Larsen always picks 4 large.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It's weird because years ago, I seem to remember no-one ever going for two large and I kept wanting them to, so I could see what it was like.
I remember when I wanted to know "what it was like". So I joined apterous.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:It's weird because years ago, I seem to remember no-one ever going for two large and I kept wanting them to, so I could see what it was like.
I remember when I wanted to know "what it was like". So I joined apterous.
This is such a nicely layered joke that I have Liked it, so you win this Like battle, but I will win the war.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

It is twenty to 2 in the morning and I have the fucking Australian Countdown theme tune stuck in my head.

I hate you all.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Hi I'll start with a consonant thanks.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

As mentioned on uk-scrabble this episode has Andrew Fisher on it, he's a top notch Scrabbler who moved to Australia ages ago and was previously on Series 8 of Countdown here.

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lettersandn ... andnumbers
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

My first time watching. Thoughts:
  • There's nothing wrong with more electronicated scoreboards.
  • I like the funky ass clock, and although the clock music feels very un-Countdown it actually works nicely, I imagine it's easier to do rounds with that music in the background than it is with Countdown clock music, although it does lack a more powerful crescendo to indicate that the end time is approaching.
  • Lily looks like that slightly backwards girl from various films about suburban dystopia, the sort you'd definitely like to have a go on but not have kids with. You know what I mean, like a slightly-more-incesty-looking Mena Suvari. I like her small neat writing though, even if the way she puts maths on paper just makes simple sums look totally confusing.
  • Rob is a well nice guy. In general they're all very polite on the show, it's quality.
  • The bloke in dictionary corner also seemed pretty cool, the host dude felt a bit too Americanized though.
  • Scrabble players are pretty shit at numbers.
  • The theme music wasn't as memorable as MW suggested, I'd completely forgotten it thirty seconds after it finished. It started so well, like some kind of murder mystery theme (not that that is necessarily appropriate to letters and numbers games, but I still loved it) and then when the rest of the percussion kicked in it sounded cheap.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Incidentally they contacted me about licensing apterous for an Australian Countdown version, but after I said "sure", they never got back to me.

Good story huh?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally they contacted me about licensing apterous for an Australian Countdown version, but after I said "sure", they never got back to me.

Good story huh?
Wrong thread.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally they contacted me about licensing apterous for an Australian Countdown version, but after I said "sure", they never got back to me.

Good story huh?
Wrong thread.
Haha. Thought that was going to be a link to Questions You've Never Wanted Answered.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Andrew is now a member.
Andrew Fisher

Post by Andrew Fisher »

Oh, so I am. Hello.
Andrew Fisher

Post by Andrew Fisher »

I can also confirm that I am crap at the numbers, but adequate on the words, except where the odd Scrabble combination rears its head (e.g. HIDEOUTS was deemed invalid in one show). The presenters are still pretty new at this stage (about three days into the filming), but definitely settled into their roles by the end of the series, which is already in the can. Anyway, must go as I need to switch on the TV to watch myself in half an hour.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Anyone else think that Australian Countdown's David Astle

looks like US comedian Andy Dick?

Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

I hear Aussie Countdown is no more after only two years. SBS are replacing it with Pommie Countdown apparently. Wonder how it will be received down there.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Hmm, this could explain why they continually ignored my contestant applications...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I heard that the first series of Countdown they are showing is Jeff Stelling's first series, Series 60. I hope that makes most of you happy. I wonder if most Australians like UK Countdown.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

They will hopefully see how much better our version of Countdown is. Funny how the Austrailan Version has the same amount of numbers rounds as us (three), yet only nine rounds in total, unlike our 15 rounds. That's the one thing I prefer about the Australian version (and all foreign versions) of Countdown - a greater mathematical content.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

The Aussies are protesting UK Countdown because Letters and Numbers is homegrown
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

They missed a trick with the name.

Should be ....

Countdownunder!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Even though the Australian version's been cancelled, I was surprised to see this- www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390616701412 - on sale, and hugely disappointed a similar thing hasn't been done for the 30th birthday championship. :-(
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I remember there was an outpouring of disappointment when their version got canceled. I noticed it on their Facebook page. They thought their version was unlike any other. I was not as surprised to see that. Letters and Numbers had a cult following.

Now, the Aussies have Jeff Stelling to watch!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Ben Wilson wrote:Even though the Australian version's been cancelled, I was surprised to see this- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390616701412 - on sale, and hugely disappointed a similar thing hasn't been done for the 30th birthday championship. :-(
Probably this sort of non-promotion is the reason Countdown is beginning to not only have very low playing standards, but is unfortunately dwindling in the viewing stakes too.

:-(
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Reviving a very old thread, but Letters and Numbers is set to make a return. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... axing.html
I had a few of the old ep's pop up in my YT recommendations and would say that it's definitely watchable. It does feel a bit conservative, but friendly nonetheless- though you wouldn't catch Susie Dent telling a player to learn their 75x tables or to pay full attention to their monitor, which I saw occur in a particular ep.

Intrigued to see its success. If I don't end up getting on to Countdown anytime soon, then perhaps I'll conveniently book a holiday to Oz for a few months and send an application in there ;)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

The new series of Letters and Numbers will have celebrity contestants only.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiLcL8yKGmY Watched the new version on YT- not bad, but a bit like a sedate Catsdown...