Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:55 am

So as many of you super-sleuths deduced, a handful of new specials were filmed yesterday. The lineup was:

Kirk Bevins vs Chris Davies - 2009 Champion playoff
Lesley Hines vs Micheal Harris - Century-scoring losers
Kai Laddiman vs Dinos Sfyris - Young champions redux
Junaid Mubeen vs Charlie Reams - The Decider

These will be broadcast at various points throughout the year. One or two of them feature a little extra twist which hopefully we can keep a surprise until nearer the time.

It was a fantastic day for all 8 of us, thanks to everyone who made it happen, and the handful of devotees who made the trip to support us.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by James Robinson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am

Charlie Reams wrote:Kirk Bevins vs Chris Davies - 2009 Champion playoff
Lesley Hines vs Micheal Harris - Century-scoring losers
Kai Laddiman vs Dinos Sfyris - Young champions redux
Junaid Mubeen vs Charlie Reams - The Decider
Blumming heck :!: :shock: They all sound like fantastic matches. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Ooh, now I'm well excited :!: :!: I'm gonna have to cool down before I explode :!:

Although I think people on here wouldn't mind if I did that. :lol:
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Howard Somerset » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 am

Four classic games. Well done to all eight of you. It was a privalege to be there.

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by D Eadie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:56 am

Nice to see you all again, thanks for coming along guys and contributing fantastically.
The 'privalege' was all ours. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4017
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 pm

D Eadie wrote:Nice to see you all again, thanks for coming along guys and contributing fantastically.
The 'privalege' was all ours. :mrgreen:
Can you divulge the airdates, or is that privaleged information. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matthew Green
Devotee
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Matthew Green » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Looks good, although Dinos is on TV more than Simon fucking Cowell these days.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum

David Williams
Kiloposter
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by David Williams » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm

D Eadie wrote:The 'privalege' was all ours.
Spoiler? Surely not, in this exalted company?

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3563
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm

David Williams wrote:
D Eadie wrote:The 'privalege' was all ours.
Spoiler? Surely not, in this exalted company?
Read all the thread David. :roll:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Douglas Wilson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow they all sound fucking awesome.

(Genuine apologies if it was meant to be a secret and I spoilt it with my post on the other thread)

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Alec Rivers » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Matthew Green wrote:... Dinos is on TV more than Simon fucking Cowell these days.
When has Dinos ever been on Simon Cowell? :D

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Douglas Wilson wrote:Wow they all sound fucking awesome.

(Genuine apologies if it was meant to be a secret and I spoilt it with my post on the other thread)
We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun. Now they're in the can it's all good.

Tx dates are undecided but we'll let you know when we do.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7625
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun.
Was it just a regular audience then?

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Matthew Green wrote:Looks good, although Dinos is on TV more than Simon fucking Cowell these days.
Very true! This was by far my favourite experience yet though. Can't wait to watch them all back. Thanks again to Damo and everyone involved for a fantastic day, and letting us relive relive the nostalgia of being in the chair one more time :)

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Howard Somerset » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 pm

D Eadie wrote:The 'privalege' was all ours. :mrgreen:
I did tell you I was crap, Damian. And I'm even crappier at some other things than spelling. :D

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9931
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:Wow they all sound fucking awesome.

(Genuine apologies if it was meant to be a secret and I spoilt it with my post on the other thread)
We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun. Now they're in the can it's all good.

Tx dates are undecided but we'll let you know when we do.
You make it sound like you're part of the production team now. Is there something else you're not telling us?

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 pm

What an awesome 2 days in Manchester - thanks very much for the invite to take part in one of these specials. Despite being specials it was damn nerve racking but was such fun. Thanks to the other contestants too who made it a very enjoyable day! :P

Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Junaid Mubeen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am

Just got back and I have that horrible feeling of emptiness that I last had after CofC. Amazing experience as always and all 4 games will be worth tuning into for sure. Thanks so much for having me back. Just so you know, I'm always happy to keep returning. If only to piss Bolas* off.

*wtf has happened to him anyway?!

User avatar
Matthew Green
Devotee
Posts: 716
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Matthew Green » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 am

Charlie Reams wrote:One or two of them feature a little extra twist
If it isn't a televised game of hyperspeedgaot then you will have built up my dreams and destroyed them Reams.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kai Laddiman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Highlight: 3am apterous and Dudley plugging apterous. And getting APTEROUS in one game.

Lowlight: Not being allowed in the bar with EVERYONE else :cry:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

User avatar
Kevin Davis
Acolyte
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:02 am

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kevin Davis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm

And also, thanks to Mssrs. Bevins, Mubeen, and Laddiman, for making me feel like a total thicky. :)
Oh, cackwires!

User avatar
tomrowell
Acolyte
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by tomrowell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

I had an awesome time, meeting a lot of aperites and enjoying my first live countdown experience. The games i saw weren't bad either, just gutted i missed out on the last 2 and the afterparty

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by James Robinson » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Since there were only 4 specials, was there a normal show recorded that day as well, or was it just those specials :?:
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
tomrowell
Acolyte
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by tomrowell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 pm

just the 4 specials old bean

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Lesley Hines » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Charlie Reams wrote: Lesley Hines vs Micheal Harris - Century-scoring losers
Losers? :(
Runners-up! ;)

It was fantastic, and thanks very much for letting me have a second crack at the whip :D
Some excellent twists and turns, and I'm really looking forward to their transmission. Next time we'll have a fake ID organised for you, Kai. I'm hoping Micheal's going to join us on the forum and apterous - what a great guy!
Lowering the averages since 2009

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9931
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Seems a bit harsh on Kai. They allow children in many pubs. They just don't let them buy alcohol. Why not do the same here?

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Charlie Reams » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:Seems a bit harsh on Kai. They allow children in many pubs. They just don't let them buy alcohol. Why not do the same here?
Not after 9pm.

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Lesley Hines » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:And also, thanks to Mssrs. Bevins, Mubeen, and Laddiman, for making me feel like a total thicky. :)
If it's any consolation - I was sat next to them... ;) Try playing under that pressure!
Lowering the averages since 2009

Naomi Laddiman
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Naomi Laddiman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Seems a bit harsh on Kai. They allow children in many pubs. They just don't let them buy alcohol. Why not do the same here?
Not after 9pm.
Not even before 9pm in the first one we went in to! I was looking forward to having a few drinks too - I should have sent Kai back to the hotel and come out drinking with the rest of you - I'm sure he'd have been fine! ;)

What a great few days we had. I'd like to thank Charlie, Junaid and Kirk for keeping Kai entertained between 1 and 3.15 on Tuesday morning - I had to suffer the consequences of this when I turfed him out of bed for school this morning!

On a serious note, we've met a great bunch of people (some dodgier than others!) and I'd like to say thanks for accepting and including Kai (and me by default), given the fact that he's so much younger than the rest of you. You make me feel extremely thick (probably because I am), but you don't need brains to have a good laugh!
Last edited by Naomi Laddiman on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Glad you got home OK, Naomi. Did Kai sleep in the car like he says he never does?

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Lesley Hines » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Naomi Laddiman wrote:Kai ... given the fact that he's so much younger than the rest of you
I'm sure you're joking. My eyes say '13', my brain says he could teach me a thing or two (and did, as it happens!).
Lowering the averages since 2009

Naomi Laddiman
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Naomi Laddiman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks Kirk, same to you. We made it back just before I fell asleep at the wheel, whilst Kai was wide awake all the way, but at least he didn't witter on at me too much like he usually does (well not while he was eating his burger king anyway)! ;)

User avatar
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm
Location: S Yorks

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Ben Hunter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:12 pm

I bet Kai has a proper bloke's voice now.

Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Junaid Mubeen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 am

Naomi Laddiman wrote:What a great few days we had. I'd like to thank Charlie, Junaid and Kirk for keeping Kai entertained between 1 and 3.15 on Tuesday morning - I had to suffer the consequences of this when I turfed him out of bed for school this morning!
No problem, Mrs Kai. I should say that Kirk probably wasn't the best influence on this particular occasion. It wasn't the fact that he was drunk so much, rather that he was playing some pretty shit Countdown (same as usual, I guess).

Oh yeah...Kai and I have agreed that I will adopt him (Kai that is, not Kirk). We are over the moon.

Quote of the day: after Dudley advertised apterous, a (future) contestant (who later got walloped) announced:

"I can go one better; I've got the electronic game."

Favourite non-spoilerific Kirk moment: as we are chilling in a swanky hotel (£9.45 for a plate of chips!) with the team after the recordings, a young woman approaches us:

Fit lady: Excuse me, can I ask you something?

(Kirk grins in anticipation of being recognised)

Kirk: of course
Fit lady: Are you...
Kirk: Yes?
Fit lady: Sitting next to Jeff Stelling?

(Kirk, dejected, resigns himself to silence. I confirm and she asks if we are contestants to which I reply "sort of". She then wishes us good luck to which I offer a hearty thanks. Kirk, meanwhile, has suddenly re-discovered his flair for words.

Kirk: I'm a series champion

Well said, mate.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 am

Haha those quotes are pretty much all bullshit, Junaid. She didn't even know Jeff's name, she said "the presenter of Countdown" and I said we're both series champions, not just me. Also I wasn't hoping to be recognised at all...it was pretty obvious what she wanted.

I prefer it the day after when a guy came to shake my hand and say he really enjoyed watching me on the show etc etc and Junaid was stood next to me fuming that he wasn't recognised. He wasn't happy! lol

Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Junaid Mubeen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 am

Kirk Bevins wrote:Haha those quotes are pretty much all bullshit, Junaid. She didn't even know Jeff's name, she said "the presenter of Countdown" and I said we're both series champions, not just me. Also I wasn't hoping to be recognised at all...it was pretty obvious what she wanted.

I prefer it the day after when a guy came to shake my hand and say he really enjoyed watching me on the show etc etc and Junaid was stood next to me fuming that he wasn't recognised. He wasn't happy! lol
Oh here we go, Kirk. Next you're gonna deny I beat you 5-0 on the second day of recordings. And that guy who didn't recognise me was blatantly just being racist.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 am

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Next you're gonna deny I beat you 5-0 on the second day of recordings
Perhaps we should ask the referee...Charlie Reams wasn't it :P

User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Andy Wilson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:28 am

Sweet - can't wait for these.

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by D Eadie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Kirk Bevins wrote:Haha those quotes are pretty much all bullshit, Junaid. She didn't even know Jeff's name, she said "the presenter of Countdown" and I said we're both series champions, not just me. Also I wasn't hoping to be recognised at all...it was pretty obvious what she wanted.

I prefer it the day after when a guy came to shake my hand and say he really enjoyed watching me on the show etc etc and Junaid was stood next to me fuming that he wasn't recognised. He wasn't happy! lol

I think you'll find she was the Night Duty Manageress of the hotel, who basically, was saying that if you're with the presenter of Countdown then we'll let you stay in the bar, otherwise get your scruffy arses out of here. :mrgreen:

Transmission dates are now confirmed for the specials.

Kirk Bevins / Chris Davies - March 15th 2010
Lesley Hines / Micheal Harrison - July 26th 2010
Kai Laddiman / Dinos Sfyris - August 2nd 2010
Charlie Reams / Junaid Mubeen - August 16th 2010

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Hopefully at the normal time?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Michael Wallace » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Hopefully at the normal time?
Good question. I for one am busy at 3.30 on August 16, so I hope it's slightly earlier than normal.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Hopefully at the normal time?
Good question. I for one am busy at 3.30 on August 16, so I hope it's slightly earlier than normal.
Are you going to a ballet with James Robinson :?:

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7625
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun.
Was it just a regular audience then?
Anyone? Would have been awesome to see. :(

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun.
Was it just a regular audience then?
Anyone? Would have been awesome to see. :(
Yep, regular audience.

User avatar
Julie T
Kiloposter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, England

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Julie T » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:We only wanted to keep it secret until they were filmed, the pressure of hype in the run up to filming is no fun.
Was it just a regular audience then?
Anyone? Would have been awesome to see. :(
Hey! What's with the regular? :(
I was in the audience, and I'm definitely supersized! ;)

I'd been offered tickets for that week when I applied, having decided to travel up to the Manchester studios for the first time.
I later got wind that they weren't going to be series games, and that it was a bit hush hush, but didn't know exactly who was playing till the day.

Great games, amazing contestants. Thanks to all of you for a wonderful day on Monday. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Howard Somerset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:Yep, regular audience.
Yes, definitely regular, Julie's comment apart. :)

Indeed the audience had no idea that it was not going to be a normal week's programmes until Dudley referred to the specials in his warm-up.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9931
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Howard Somerset wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Yep, regular audience.
Yes, definitely regular, Julie's comment apart. :)

Indeed the audience had no idea that it was not going to be a normal week's programmes until Dudley referred to the specials in his warm-up.
How many walked out in disgust?

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Howard Somerset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:How many walked out in disgust?
None. Some didn't appear to realise what it meant. I had to explain to the lady sitting next to me.

User avatar
Ian Dent
Devotee
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Ian Dent » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Yep, regular audience.
Yes, definitely regular, Julie's comment apart. :)

Indeed the audience had no idea that it was not going to be a normal week's programmes until Dudley referred to the specials in his warm-up.
How many walked out in disgust?
Ha!

David Williams
Kiloposter
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by David Williams » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:00 pm

D Eadie wrote:Transmission dates are now confirmed for the specials.

Kirk Bevins / Chris Davies - March 15th 2010
Lesley Hines / Micheal Harrison - July 26th 2010
Kai Laddiman / Dinos Sfyris - August 2nd 2010
Charlie Reams / Junaid Mubeen - August 16th 2010
March 15th is the Monday of Cheltenham Festival week, so I can see it's a good time to have a special when there's only one Countdown that week anyway. But the other three are all Mondays in the period when we've had no Countdown at all the last couple of years. Is that the case again? If so, there's a danger we'll all be glued to our sets, and no-one else will be watching!

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

David Williams wrote: March 15th is the Monday of Cheltenham Festival week, so I can see it's a good time to have a special when there's only one Countdown that week anyway.
Interestingly, my first run was screened thus:

March 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
March 9th, then it was horse racing
March 16th, 17th.

I didn't realise I'd be straddling the horse racing and one year on I'm doing a similar thing.

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by D Eadie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Yes the other three are all Mondays, but like Cheltenham, these cover Goodwood and York.
Countdown is on all year round in 2010.
Last edited by D Eadie on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Howard Somerset » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 pm

D Eadie wrote:Countdown is on all year round in 2010.
Good to hear. :)

User avatar
D Eadie
Devotee
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Mars Hotel

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by D Eadie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Kirk Bevins wrote:
David Williams wrote: March 15th is the Monday of Cheltenham Festival week, so I can see it's a good time to have a special when there's only one Countdown that week anyway.
Interestingly, my first run was screened thus:

March 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
March 9th, then it was horse racing
March 16th, 17th.

I didn't realise I'd be straddling the horse racing and one year on I'm doing a similar thing.

Interestingly?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Sorry Kirk, but it's boring the shit outta me.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

D Eadie wrote: Interestingly?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Sorry Kirk, but it's boring the shit outta me.
Haha - why do I bother using that word on here, it's never true.

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Douglas Wilson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 am

Julie T wrote:
Hey! What's with the regular? :(
I was in the audience, and I'm definitely supersized! ;)

I'd been offered tickets for that week when I applied, having decided to travel up to the Manchester studios for the first time.
I later got wind that they weren't going to be series games, and that it was a bit hush hush, but didn't know exactly who was playing till the day.

Great games, amazing contestants. Thanks to all of you for a wonderful day on Monday. :)
When is your audition JT?

User avatar
Julie T
Kiloposter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, England

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Julie T » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Douglas Wilson wrote:
When is your audition JT?
Thanks for the interest, Douglas. However, I've shelved plans to apply to be a contestant, for the foreseeable future, for personal reasons.
I do intend still feverishly practising on apterous, though, and popping along to Co events in the meantime to prop up the bottom third. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

User avatar
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Rosemary Roberts » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 pm

D Eadie wrote:Interestingly?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Sorry Kirk, but it's boring the shit outta me.
In all fairness, Damian, some people would be glad of that.

DANNI WOODHOUSE
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by DANNI WOODHOUSE » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:00 am

i thought these specials might be in case channel four get the cricket back and it finishes early

i remember when it happened the first time in 1999 and turned the tv on at about round 3 of the 100 countdown - id love to see it again

Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Douglas Wilson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Julie T wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:
When is your audition JT?
Thanks for the interest, Douglas. However, I've shelved plans to apply to be a contestant, for the foreseeable future, for personal reasons.
I do intend still feverishly practising on apterous, though, and popping along to Co events in the meantime to prop up the bottom third. :)
Sad to hear that JT, the show is crying out for more females who are not only fairly attractive but would actually have a fair shout of winning the odd game which your experience suggests you would.

When do you think you might reapply?

Oh and really can't wait for tomorrow's game, since I didn't see Friday's game and can't be bothered with 4OD was there any plug for the special?

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Countdown specials: The Secret's Out

Post by Kirk Bevins » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Douglas Wilson wrote: Oh and really can't wait for tomorrow's game, since I didn't see Friday's game and can't be bothered with 4OD was there any plug for the special?
Just a "We're back on Monday with a special show...find out then why" or words to that effect.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests