Tournoi Chiffres & Lettres de Fontenay, 2010

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Tournoi Chiffres & Lettres de Fontenay, 2010

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Bonjour all

Just a note to say that I took part in the Chiffres/Lettres tournament at Fontenay-sous-bois, in the eastern suburbs of Paris on Sunday, and am very happy to report that I finished 40th out of 80.

- 30-round qualifier, scored 208 out of a possible 229, with a perfect 79/79 on the numbers* and two 8-letter words. Qualified in at 41st place for band C.
(* Ten numbers rounds worth up to 8 points each, except one was impossible thus maximum 7 points).

- Then followed three 20-round matches in mini-leagues of four players - my scores were 14-12, 13-15 and 17-12 which saw me finish 2nd in my group.

- The last two matches would therefore decide where I finish between 37th and 40th respectively, and so guaranteed a top-half finish, I tried just about anything in the letters and eventually lost both games 12-16 and 13-17.

Already making enquiries about further audition opportunities..........

Merci
Jeff
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: Tournoi Chiffres & Lettres de Fontenay, 2010

Post by Lesley Hines »

Formidable! Excellent! Nous sommes (je suis) vraiment impressioné(e) :D

Je ne peux pas le faire en anglais!

Felicitations! :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

From our conversation at COLIN about this tournoi, that sounds like your best result yet. Well done Jeff... very impressive!
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Merci!

Fontenay consistently produces a really high standard of contenders (my 208/229 in the qualifier landed mid-table!) and this year's attempt was my third - 69th/74 in 2006 and 47th/74 in 2008, so things are moving in the right direction albeit slowly.

I think it was also my first ever qualifier in which I didn't make an error, so it really was firing on all cylinders at 10am on a Sunday. The guy I was sitting next to made a mess of one numbers round yet still turned in 216, and with that score qualified significantly higher. I think achieving at that level is now something to work towards.

Jeff
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Merci!

Fontenay consistently produces a really high standard of contenders (my 208/229 in the qualifier landed mid-table!) and this year's attempt was my third - 69th/74 in 2006 and 47th/74 in 2008, so things are moving in the right direction albeit slowly.

I think it was also my first ever qualifier in which I didn't make an error, so it really was firing on all cylinders at 10am on a Sunday. The guy I was sitting next to made a mess of one numbers round yet still turned in 216, and with that score qualified significantly higher. I think achieving at that level is now something to work towards.

Jeff
Awesome achievement, Jeff. Well done!!