A LANDMARK PROGRAMME DUE?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
DANNI WOODHOUSE

A LANDMARK PROGRAMME DUE?

Post by DANNI WOODHOUSE »

I,m surprised that there has been no mention anywhere yet that there is only about 40ish programmes left to go til the 5000th show

has anything special been planned?

if not i would suggest that channel 4 do a special countdown themed night including a special documentary and so=me of those classic show that were talked about on a seperate thred
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: A LANDMARK PROGRAMME DUE?

Post by James Robinson »

That would be nice, Danni, but it seems unlikely that anything is going to happen at this late stage.

Oh, by the way, I've enjoyed those classic episodes that have just been put on countdowngoofs' YouTube channel recently. ;) :) :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe these specials that Damo has planned will coincide with this monumental event.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Marc Meakin wrote:Maybe these specials that Damo has planned will coincide with this monumental event.
Let's hope so, there's less than 9 weeks to go till the BIG 5-000 :!:
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

DANNI WOODHOUSE wrote:has anything special been planned?
Yes.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:
DANNI WOODHOUSE wrote:has anything special been planned?
Yes.
Hurray :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen:

What exactly, or do you have to keep it under wraps for a bit :?:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:What exactly, or do you have to keep it under wraps for a bit :?:
My money is on a comeback kids special between you and Kirk. Or possibly Amey Deshpande.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

James Robinson wrote: do you have to keep it under wraps for a bit :?:
No, but i'm going to. ;)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:What exactly, or do you have to keep it under wraps for a bit :?:
My money is on a comeback kids special between you and Kirk.
Is that purely because you want to see me get annihilated on national TV :?:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I would like to see a live, transmitted, episode of Countdown.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Marc Meakin wrote:I would like to see a live, transmitted, episode of Countdown.
That's almost going to be hard with all the turntable rotating and possiblilty of bad language being broadcast during daytime hours, but it certainly would be adventurous.
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

James Robinson wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:I would like to see a live, transmitted, episode of Countdown.
That's almost going to be hard with all the turntable rotating and possiblilty of bad language being broadcast during daytime hours, but it certainly would be adventurous.
Perhaps it could be transmitted as a post watershed special
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
My money is on a comeback kids special between you and Kirk.
Is that purely because you want to see me get annihilated on national TV :?:
I think that might be a bit of a format change...
Lowering the averages since 2009
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I don't read every word here, but if I've got this right, Chris and Kirk are to play in a special in a few weeks. And, as I understand it, neither of them is in full employment right now, so could doubtless do with a bit of cash. Personally I would value their contribution to this special a lot more highly than the contribution of, say, the celebrity guest. So I hope they aren't being fobbed off with a second-class train fare and a cheque for fifty quid. Ask for a couple of grand if you haven't recorded yet. It's small change to ITV, and it's not as if they have much alternative.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:I don't read every word here, but if I've got this right, Chris and Kirk are to play in a special in a few weeks. And, as I understand it, neither of them is in full employment right now, so could doubtless do with a bit of cash. Personally I would value their contribution to this special a lot more highly than the contribution of, say, the celebrity guest. So I hope they aren't being fobbed off with a second-class train fare and a cheque for fifty quid. Ask for a couple of grand if you haven't recorded yet. It's small change to ITV, and it's not as if they have much alternative.
On the down side everyone will think you're total dicks. Probably worth it for a few quid though, I mean you are unemployed after all.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David Williams wrote:I don't read every word here, but if I've got this right, Chris and Kirk are to play in a special in a few weeks. And, as I understand it, neither of them is in full employment right now, so could doubtless do with a bit of cash. Personally I would value their contribution to this special a lot more highly than the contribution of, say, the celebrity guest. So I hope they aren't being fobbed off with a second-class train fare and a cheque for fifty quid. Ask for a couple of grand if you haven't recorded yet. It's small change to ITV, and it's not as if they have much alternative.

Since when did any other contestants on any other show get paid? We're recording 4 specials and none of the participants have been press-ganged into taking part, they've been asked and have accepted. Anyone can ask for a couple of grand, sure, but the answer would be no, and the alternative is to use other players instead. If you'd like to volunteer yourself to be their agent, am sure we can work something out. :o
Last edited by D Eadie on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:We're recording 4 specials and none of the participants have been press-ganged into taking part, they've been asked and have accepted.
Ooh, now I'm getting even more excited, Damian. I so hope that these 4 specials are going to be blockbuster names in blockbuster battles, not involving Blockbusters.

If my maths is correct, then Episode 5000 is due to be broadcast on March 16th. Since that's a Tuesday, are you going to show the first of these on that Tuesday, with the others making up the rest of the week, or are you still refusing to be drawn on such details :?:
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

James Robinson wrote:
D Eadie wrote:We're recording 4 specials and none of the participants have been press-ganged into taking part, they've been asked and have accepted.
Ooh, now I'm getting even more excited, Damian. I so hope that these 4 specials are going to be blockbuster names in blockbuster battles, not involving Blockbusters.

If my maths is correct, then Episode 5000 is due to be broadcast on March 16th. Since that's a Tuesday, are you going to show the first of these on that Tuesday, with the others making up the rest of the week, or are you still refusing to be drawn on such details :?:

The specials have nothing to do with the 5000th show, and your maths isn't correct (not for the first time :) )
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

D Eadie wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

The specials have nothing to do with the 5000th show, and your maths isn't correct (not for the first time :) )
Are you sure, Damian?

Obviously, I'm counting just the regular shows, but the Wiki page give today's episode as #4961.

So, obviously that means there are another 39 till #5000.

So, the end of the week is #4963.
The week ending 29/1/10 has shows #4964 to #4968.
The week ending 5/2/10 has shows #4969 to #4973.
The week ending 12/2/10 has shows #4974 to #4978.
The week ending 19/2/10 has shows #4979 to #4983.
The week ending 26/2/10 has shows #4984 to #4988.
The week ending 5/3/10 has shows #4989 to #4993.
The week ending 12/3/10 has shows #4994 to #4998.
The week ending 19/3/10 has shows #4999 to #5003.

Which would make 16/3/10 the 5000th, unless there's some horse racing that'd you'd like to butt in somewhere, of course.

P.S. Thanks for mentioning that unfortunate episode in my life again.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Wiki numbering isn't necessarily correct; may be one or two out. This has been mentioned before, either here or on wiki (can't remember just where).

Also, Cheltenham Festival, for which Coundown normally has a break, is 16-19 March this year.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Howard Somerset wrote:Also, Cheltenham Festival, for which Coundown normally has a break, is 16-19 March this year.
Damn the horse racing, how many people actually watch the horse racing on the telly :?: :x
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

James Robinson wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Also, Cheltenham Festival, for which Coundown normally has a break, is 16-19 March this year.
Damn the horse racing, how many people actually watch the horse racing on the telly :?: :x
The Cheltenham Festival gets millions of viewers, probably even more than Countdown gets
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

james doohan wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
The Cheltenham Festival gets millions of viewers, probably even more than Countdown gets
I shouldn't really be that surprised about the viewership, although for most of the time when horse racing's on, they just talk about odds/betting/form, etc. Hardly any of the time is spent watching any live horserace action.

Some might say the same for football, but at least the percentage of live action to stats, etc. on football is at least 50% live action, whereas a horserace is lucky to last 5-10 minutes normally.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I'd love if just for the sake of justice the horse racing was taken off for worthwhile television. All the times I'd be watching the Ashes or something similar... crucial session and now we're off the mickey mouse five shilling handicap.

Maybe one special is going to be a live episode on the racecourse at Cheltenham. I'm sure Damian can fend off the shorthouse nonsportsmen single handed, the toffs won't put up a fight and will be too busy looking at each other's hats anyway.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote:I'd love if just for the sake of justice the horse racing was taken off for worthwhile television. All the times I'd be watching the Ashes or something similar... crucial session and now we're off the mickey mouse five shilling handicap.
There is a remote possibility that cricket is no more or less worthwhile than horse racing, and it just happens that you like one of them and not the other.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:I'd love if just for the sake of justice the horse racing was taken off for worthwhile television. All the times I'd be watching the Ashes or something similar... crucial session and now we're off the mickey mouse five shilling handicap.
There is a remote possibility that cricket is no more or less worthwhile than horse racing, and it just happens that you like one of them and not the other.
There's not even as much as what Kirk would call 0% possibility. The Ashes is of national interest and is a proper sport. Horse racing is just naff gambling and a charity fund for the vertically challenged. Therefore The Ashes has infinitely more value per viewer than the horse racing. Same as Countdown has much more value per viewer than Deal or no Deal.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote: There's not even as much as what Kirk would call 0% possibility. The Ashes is of national interest and is a proper sport. Horse racing is just naff gambling and a charity fund for the vertically challenged. Therefore The Ashes has infinitely more value per viewer than the horse racing. Same as Countdown has much more value per viewer than Deal or no Deal.
An arbitrary opinion expressed with the same charming humility as always.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

I like horse racing. I think it's interesting, like when a jockey rides an odds on favourite awfully, throwing away an easy win. Of course Countdown is much better, but horse racing still makes for good telly.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote: There's not even as much as what Kirk would call 0% possibility. The Ashes is of national interest and is a proper sport. Horse racing is just naff gambling and a charity fund for the vertically challenged. Therefore The Ashes has infinitely more value per viewer than the horse racing. Same as Countdown has much more value per viewer than Deal or no Deal.
An arbitrary opinion expressed with the same charming humility as always.
Am I the only one that enjoys Craig's posts? (Doesn't mean I agree with them - I might join in actually)
Craig Beevers wrote:There's not even as much as what Kirk would call 0% possibility. The Ashes is of national interest and is a proper sport. Horse racing is just naff gambling and a charity fund for the vertically challenged. Therefore The Ashes has infinitely more value per viewer than the horse racing. Same as Countdown has much more value per viewer than Deal or no Deal.
The Ashes isn't really proper sport, but more of an ongoing grudge match, like the Boat Race. I don't follow cricket, but there's like a world cup and stuff isn't there? That's far more proper surely. Some exclusive competition between the same two participants is for fun only. Proper sport is open.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

DOND is better than Horse racing.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Marc Meakin wrote:DOND is better than Horse racing.
A testcard is better than horse racing. What trifling velleity I may once have possessed for spectating said sport was irrevocably expunged the moment I was unfortunate enough to witness the cringeworthy witterings and mannerisms of that abomination commonly referred to as John McCririck. A more irritating specimen of humanity I have yet to encounter.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

James Robinson wrote:I shouldn't really be that surprised about the viewership, although for most of the time when horse racing's on, they just talk about odds/betting/form, etc. Hardly any of the time is spent watching any live horserace action.

Some might say the same for football, but at least the percentage of live action to stats, etc. on football is at least 50% live action, whereas a horserace is lucky to last 5-10 minutes normally.
I think that this is a dodgy argument to use, given that a game of Countdown only lasts 7 minutes and 30 seconds of actual play time, out of a 37-minute programme.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Brian Moore wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I shouldn't really be that surprised about the viewership, although for most of the time when horse racing's on, they just talk about odds/betting/form, etc. Hardly any of the time is spent watching any live horserace action.

I think that this is a dodgy argument to use, given that a game of Countdown only lasts 7 minutes and 30 seconds of actual play time, out of a 37-minute programme.
You say that, but if you take away the intros, the DC segment, Origin Of Words and the end bits, that still just under 30 minutes roughly which is actual gameplay, rather than just the rubbish 5 or so minutes of watching some horses go round a track.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

James Robinson wrote:...at least the percentage of live action to stats, etc. on football is at least 50% live action, whereas a horserace is lucky to last 5-10 minutes normally.
James Robinson wrote:...just the rubbish 5 or so minutes of watching some horses go round a track.
This is probably the shittest argument I've ever seen on here, and there's been some pretty good competition. The Olympic men's 100m final lasts under ten seconds, does that make it thirty times worse than yer average National Hunt race? One of the great things about sport is the stuff that goes on outside the actual action, and horse racing has a lot of it. Fair enough if you're not into it, but don't try to rationalise it like that, it just looks silly.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I have to type that I actually like the horses or anything I can gamble on. I really enjoy watching Countdown but it's never had me jumping up and down on my sofa whipping myself on the ass with my belt ... well it did once but that was an exception.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

David O'Donnell wrote:I really enjoy watching Countdown but it's never had me jumping up and down on my sofa whipping myself on the ass with my belt ... well it did once but that was an exception.
It was edited out of the final broadcast, anyway.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

D Eadie wrote:

Since when did any other contestants on any other show get paid? We're recording 4 specials and none of the participants have been press-ganged into taking part, they've been asked and have accepted. Anyone can ask for a couple of grand, sure, but the answer would be no, and the alternative is to use other players instead. If you'd like to volunteer yourself to be their agent, am sure we can work something out. :o
If you appear as an unknown on Big Brother I don't suppose you get paid. You do it because you want to win, or just to appear on TV. But if the producers decide you're so good that your presence on another show will make people tune in just to see you, then you're on Celebrity Big Brother, and you do get paid. (Or they give you a job and you end up running the whole shebang.)

If a show is 'special' because you're on it, you deserve to be rewarded. Not going to happen though, while people are prepared to boost C4 viewing figures for nothing.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

David Williams wrote:
D Eadie wrote:

If you appear as an unknown on Big Brother I don't suppose you get paid. You do it because you want to win, or just to appear on TV. But if the producers decide you're so good that your presence on another show will make people tune in just to see you, then you're on Celebrity Big Brother, and you do get paid. (Or they give you a job and you end up running the whole shebang.)

If a show is 'special' because you're on it, you deserve to be rewarded. Not going to happen though, while people are prepared to boost C4 viewing figures for nothing.
Aren't you assuming that the special will boost figures? I don't think that's a given, aside from the obvious interest on this forum I am not sure if the presence of two uber nerds will do much to titillate the viewing public. I don't mean this as a dig but people generally enjoy playing along with the contestants and this may not be an option if the players are guaranteed to kick your ass.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell and David Williams, the two most negative particles in the universe, lock horns. But will they attract or repel? Stay tuned!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:David O'Donnell and David Williams, the two most negative particles in the universe, lock horns. But will they attract or repel? Stay tuned!
Whatever the outcome I shall be disappointed.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote:David O'Donnell and David Williams, the two most negative particles in the universe, lock horns. But will they attract or repel? Stay tuned!
Just shows. I didn't even think we were being negative or locking horns. But Gavin will be upset not to figure in this negativity hall of fame.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:
Just shows. I didn't even think we were being negative or locking horns. But Gavin will be upset not to figure in this negativity hall of fame.
Was only kidding mate, I think you talk sense a lot of the time but on this occasion I disagree. Being on Countdown is a great privilege and if someone else sells a bit more advertising on the back of that, so much the better. Life needn't be a zero-sum game.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

David Williams wrote:

;) I think young Charlie was trying to fabricate a little dispute for his own entertainment. Must be a quiet week.

Edit: have just seen that Charlie has replied. I agree with Charlie though, I don't think a few appearances on Countdown can transform us into divaesque prima donnas who suddenly demand only blue M&Ms in the green room. If we wanted fame we'd apply to BB and if we wanted money we'd apply to Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

bollocks
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

D Eadie wrote:bollocks
Big ol' hairy ones: gaze upon them enshrouded in the green hue of envy.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David O'Donnell wrote:
D Eadie wrote:bollocks
Big ol' hairy ones: gaze upon them enshrouded in the green hue of envy.
The bollocks comment wasn't necessarily aimed at any one in particular, i was in the middle of typing out a response to the stuff about ratings and money etc, but halfway through, i thought 'bollocks', so i typed that instead. Why use 500 words when 1 will do :mrgreen:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

D Eadie wrote:The bollocks comment wasn't necessarily aimed at any one in particular, i was in the middle of typing out a response to the stuff about ratings and money etc, but halfway through, i thought 'bollocks', so i typed that instead. Why use 500 words when 1 will do :mrgreen:
I assumed it was aimed at me.

This goes back to one of the previous specials. Two well-to-do gents (one was a high court judge), who had happily given up a few hundred pounds worth of their own time, enjoyed themselves greatly, produced a good contest. How do you reward them? You could give them a token memento, a piece of crystal, whatever. You could give a small prize to the winner. Actually they got £50 each. So they got a fee, and what could be construed as an insultingly small one, even if it actually cost more than some of the alternatives. At least a bit of thought would have gone into them.

It's by no means an exact parallel, but Chris Davies lives not too far from me. Suppose he was to offer me a lift to CoLin. You could take the view that he was going anyway, and was going to have a good time, so there was no need to give him anything. I don't think many would do this. Some might buy lunch, give him a gift, a bottle of wine, whatever. Many would share the petrol. Personally, as a reasonably well-heeled pensioner, I'd offer to pay for all the petrol as he was doing all the driving, and I'd still be no worse off than if I'd gone on my own. But to give him say £10 just looks cheap.

It speaks volumes for the way they treat you on Countdown that past contestants are honoured and delighted to be asked back. And it's not the lavish expenses! But I don't think it's bollocks to suggest that they get decently rewarded.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
D Eadie wrote:The bollocks comment wasn't necessarily aimed at any one in particular, i was in the middle of typing out a response to the stuff about ratings and money etc, but halfway through, i thought 'bollocks', so i typed that instead. Why use 500 words when 1 will do :mrgreen:

This goes back to one of the previous specials. Two well-to-do gents (one was a high court judge), who had happily given up a few hundred pounds worth of their own time, enjoyed themselves greatly, produced a good contest. How do you reward them? You could give them a token memento, a piece of crystal, whatever. You could give a small prize to the winner. Actually they got £50 each. So they got a fee, and what could be construed as an insultingly small one, even if it actually cost more than some of the alternatives. At least a bit of thought would have gone into them.

It's by no means an exact parallel, but Chris Davies lives not too far from me. Suppose he was to offer me a lift to CoLin. You could take the view that he was going anyway, and was going to have a good time, so there was no need to give him anything. I don't think many would do this. Some might buy lunch, give him a gift, a bottle of wine, whatever. Many would share the petrol. Personally, as a reasonably well-heeled pensioner, I'd offer to pay for all the petrol as he was doing all the driving, and I'd still be no worse off than if I'd gone on my own. But to give him say £10 just looks cheap.

It speaks volumes for the way they treat you on Countdown that past contestants are honoured and delighted to be asked back. And it's not the lavish expenses! But I don't think it's bollocks to suggest that they get decently rewarded.
But... being on Countdown is the reward.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Seeing Rachel in the flesh would be reward enough for me. :)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David Williams wrote:

Not at all, David - hence the "The bollocks comment wasn't necessarily aimed at any one in particular", which i wouldn't have typed if i didn't mean it. It wasn't aimed at an individual, it was just my summary of the whole thing really. Nothing personal intended.

Anyway, i didn't want to get drawn into this really, but to comment on some of your more recent points....

I don't know about the high court judge who got £50, or even when this was, so can't really respond to that. You initially stated that the guys should get a 'couple of grand', which is extremely unrealistic, to put it politely. It also looks as though you've assumed there is no prize, award, memento or anything this time round, which would actually be incorrect. Anyone who comes on the show is 'giving up their free time', special or not, thereby if they work they have to take annual leave, which is the equivalent of losing a few days wages depending on how you look at it. I think what you're forgetting is that we've not rounded anybody up at gunpoint and forced them into the back of a transit van, they've been asked if they would like to take part and have agreed. If someone got back to us and said something like 'i really can't afford to take time off at the moment' then that's fine, nothing is compulsory. As for Chris giving you a lift to CoLin, i understand the parallels you're trying to draw, but taking part in one of the stand-alone shows is certainly more appealing than having to car-share with you from Liverpool to Manchester, which would probably have even the most relaxed of folk sexually aroused at the prospect of hurling themselves from the vehicle onto the M62 at high speed as an alternative. :D
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I assumed it was aimed at me because no-one else seemed to be talking bollocks.

Scanning the list of Specials, I think I may be recalling Terence English against Glynn Leaney. I imagine you did the same for everyone, but I just remember a £50 fee seemed a bit crass for them in particular.

I completely take on board that anyone invited is delighted to do it. If I thought you'd want me, that I could perform at anything like current standards, or that anyone would be interested to watch, I'd probably pay you for the privilege. Just thought a bit of cash aimed at a couple of lads who entertain us a lot wouldn't come amiss.

(Then again, "a 'couple of grand', which is extremely unrealistic". So a lower figure could be realistic? Sounds like the start of a negotiation to me. Meet you half way? Second thoughts - let's call it a day. Looking forward to the show.)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

David Williams wrote:Scanning the list of Specials, I think I may be recalling Terence English against Glynn Leaney. I imagine you did the same for everyone, but I just remember a £50 fee seemed a bit crass for them in particular.
I didn't think that £50 was crass for doing my special. Mind you, I was still at school at the time, so money wasn't completely everything at the time.

I was just happy to be able to go back and have another go at the show, which was just fantastic. ;) :) :D :mrgreen:

EDIT: The only slightly disappointing thing was that I never got a Countdown teapot for winning my special, so I had to wait until I won my shows in Series 60 to get my teapot :!:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I thought for sure the 5000th show would be over with by now!