who is the 2009 Champion of Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Kirk Bevins
14%
Chris Davies
11%
don't know
11%
They should play against each other to find out
64%
We will never know as it is 2010 now
No votes

Total votes: 28

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After Chris Davies being announced as the 2009 champion on the CBB Countdown task it got me wondering what people think who should be called the 2009 champion
I vote for Chris, purely because the standard was that much higher in series 61.
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Re: who is the 2009 Champion of Countdown

Post by Chris Davies »

Both Kirk and I are 2009 champions of Countdown. The media only refers to me as THE 2009 champion because they don't know any better.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Chris Davies wrote:Both Kirk and I are 2009 champions of Countdown. The media only refers to me as THE 2009 champion because they don't know any better.
Yeah I thought so too.
Did you enjoy the experience?(the CBB one I mean)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What a bizarre poll...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:What a bizarre poll...
Well I couldn't be bothered to start a triangular foods poll.
Plus it was a ruse to get Chris to post about his CBB experience and to piss Kirk off ;)
Plus with RB going AWOL someone had to do it.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

As Chris said. Both are 2009 champions.

But it would be good if it were possible to stage a play-off between them. But even if one were to be played, that would not make the loser any less of a 2009 champion.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Are you implying there's something wrong with a triangular foods poll? :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Wait - Steve Briers is CoC king for 2009, surely that trumps both Chris and Kirk's relatively modest "achievements", if you can even call them that.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Are you implying there's something wrong with a triangular foods poll? :(
Well you could start one to find out.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Davies wrote:Both Kirk and I are 2009 champions of Countdown. The media only refers to me as THE 2009 champion because they don't know any better.
Agreed, which is why I voted for "don't know". You can't have a playoff and declare the winner the 2009 champion because...well, we're both 2009 champions. I agree with Charlie - odd poll.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

This thing does pose the wider question of "why do we have two series a year?"

The general public expect to have a 2009 champion and it seems a bit odd to end one series in June and start the next the following Monday. Would it not be better to expand a series over a calendar year and have the top 16 seeds battling it out in the finals in December?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Bishop wrote:This thing does pose the wider question of "why do we have two series a year?"

The general public expect to have a 2009 champion and it seems a bit odd to end one series in June and start the next the following Monday. Would it not be better to expand a series over a calendar year and have the top 16 seeds battling it out in the finals in December?
Extending it for a whole year could cause problems. With such a long time scale, people could move on, (literally by moving countries or just forgetting about Countdown altogether and being shit in the finals) and indeed the audience won't remember certain names from 11 months ago as most struggle to remember people at the start of the series. Good thought though but I'm just trying to foresee problems.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Bishop wrote:The general public expect to have a 2009 champion
Really?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe it could be added to the 2010 calender after the series 63 finals the winner plays the series 62 winner to give us an overall champion.
Why didn't someone think of this sooner :!:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Really?
Yeah, I agree with MW this is probably overestimating the importance of Countdown to the general public.
Still, I also agree with Martin that one champion is enough per year, so we should bloody well force one upon them whether they like it or not.
That said, I agree too with Kirk that it could cause issues.

In summary; keep debating. I'm sure it's something Damian has considered before, I reckon he'd have some pretty interesting answers as to why one-a-year isn't possible or ideal or clever at all.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Really?
Ok, the general public who write scripts for Big Brother, expect a 2009 champion. The only comparable shows I can think of, Mastermind, The Krypton Factor and University Challenge, only have one series a year. Also, when I tell people about being on Countdown I say I was a 2008 semi-finalist, because I can't be bothered to say series 59 and then explain that this covers the second half of 2008.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: In summary; keep debating. I'm sure it's something Damian has considered before, I reckon he'd have some pretty interesting answers as to why one-a-year isn't possible or ideal or clever at all.
The series schedule is set for them by Channel 4.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oh oh. This is series-ous business!!!!!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

May be a little contrived, but you could have a series every three months, with the top four each series in a knock-out to determine the series champion. The four series champions would then meet to decide the champion for the year. And while a knock-out for four people is three matches, a mini-league would only be six.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Why not call them Summer '09 champ and Winter '09 champ, or something. Not all competitions are annual: I used to play in an indoor 6-a-side league that had four seasons per calendar year – we were champs one year, but so were three other teams.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Why not have a series every week, then have the two highest scoring contestants from that week play on the Friday to see who goes through to the end of the month finals, which would have the best four contestants from that month fighting it out to see who gets to play in the end of the quarter-year finals, then the best four players from the end of quarter-year finals could return at Christmas to play each other simultaneously or something to see who is really the champion of that particular year?

Or maybe leave things as they are.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JimBentley wrote:Why not have a series every week, then have the two highest scoring contestants from that week play on the Friday to see who goes through to the end of the month finals, which would have the best four contestants from that month fighting it out to see who gets to play in the end of the quarter-year finals, then the best four players from the end of quarter-year finals could return at Christmas to play each other simultaneously or something to see who is really the champion of that particular year?

Haha. This is such a Damian-esque reply. Love it.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Who is the 2009 Champion?

There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!

Wouldn't it be great to see Kirk and Chris do a Harry Hill comedy sketch like this and put it up on youtube. Chris would be throwing Rubik's cubes at Kirk, who in turn would be throwing Maths equipment etc back at him. Ahem! Sorry got carried away there. :oops:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Who is the 2009 Champion?

Wouldn't it be great to see Kirk and Chris do a Harry Hill comedy sketch like this and put it up on youtube. Chris would be throwing Rubik's cubes at Kirk, who in turn would be throwing Maths equipment etc back at him. Ahem! Sorry got carried away there. :oops:
More like darts. Maths equipment is for maths teachers....
Kevin Davis
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Davis »

JimBentley wrote:Why not have a series every week, then have the two highest scoring contestants from that week play on the Friday to see who goes through to the end of the month finals, which would have the best four contestants from that month fighting it out to see who gets to play in the end of the quarter-year finals, then the best four players from the end of quarter-year finals could return at Christmas to play each other simultaneously or something to see who is really the champion of that particular year?
I'm getting Going for Gold flashbacks.
Oh, cackwires!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:Who is the 2009 Champion?

More like darts. Maths equipment is for maths teachers....
If you have darts, then Chris should wedge some razor blades in the cubes. :shock:

p.s. I think a Benny Hill sketch would be funnier. Harry Hill is a total tit; and about as funny as a paper-cut.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

The Chris v Kirk play-off is a brilliant idea - i think i might ask them. :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

D Eadie wrote:The Chris v Kirk play-off is a brilliant idea - i think i might ask them. :D
Great, I hope it comes to fruition on one of your special shows.
If it proves popular, you could shoe horn a 2010 version at the end of the year. :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe, but it sparked some interesting debate IMHO.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This "play-off" between them - there will be another CofC presumably? Who cares if it isn't for champion of 2009? And the CofC might lose some of its edge if the players go in these silly other games.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Gavin Chipper wrote:This "play-off" between them - there will be another CofC presumably? Who cares if it isn't for champion of 2009? And the CofC might lose some of its edge if the players go in these silly other games.
Genius.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:This "play-off" between them - there will be another CofC presumably? Who cares if it isn't for champion of 2009? And the CofC might lose some of its edge if the players go in these silly other games.
You're right - in the same way that it doesn't really matter who wins the World Snooker Championship, because everyone knows that was really decided in an exhibition match, too.
:?
Possibly not, then.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Sounds like Going For Gold! "First round", "first round proper" and all that...!

Jeff