Countdown on Big Brother

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Re: Countdown on Big Brother

Post by Steve Durney »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Ah, good to watch it on the edit. I resent them referring to him as "the 2009 champion"! :x
Maybe Apterous should arrange a special 2009 champion of champion special best of 3 between Kirk and Chris.
Sounds good. Should be an annual event.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:Have to say that I actually felt sorry for the housemates as I doubt if anybody on this forum or Apterous could have beaten Chris in realtime.
There should have been some sort of handicap system.
Yeah I agree - as a task it was utterly pointless, akin to having them race against Bolt or something.

Mind you, they would have had a better chance of passing if they'd had Ivana on the team - I thought her solution to the numbers (that she explained to Sisqo) was particularly ingenious.

*949* 100 9 7 5 3 2

9*100 + (7*3) * 2 + 9.

Amazing.

I knew Kirk would get annoyed at the "2009 champ" title too :twisted:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote: *949* 100 9 7 5 3 2

9*100 + (7*3) * 2 + 9.

Amazing.
What's your point? :?
:lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

When Alex Reid said "I'm made to watch this show at home all the time". My first thought was "Oh my god! Jordan watches countdown?!" Alas, Alex meant his mum, so there isn't much chance of getting the model/bestselling author/perfumer/businesswoman/feminist icon in dictionary corner. We could have been treated to pre-ad break anecdotes about the size of Dwight Yorke's cock.

It was really fun to see Chris come up with some awesome words and then see the looks on the housemates' faces. I think Chris also looked more relaxed than when he was first on the show.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Bishop wrote: We could have been treated to pre-ad break anecdotes about the size of Dwight Yorke's cock.
If that's what they want they should get me as a guest.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: We could have been treated to pre-ad break anecdotes about the size of Dwight Yorke's cock.
If that's what they want they should get me as a guest.

:lol:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

In case anyone was unaware (and wants to see it), it's up on 4oD now.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Ah, good to watch it on the edit. I resent them referring to him as "the 2009 champion"! :x
Maybe Apterous should arrange a special 2009 champion of champion special best of 3 between Kirk and Chris.
If you look at the 15 round stats here :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/headtohead.php?p1=2154&p2=3 it would make for a very good match.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote:If you look at the 15 round stats here :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/headtohead.php?p1=2154&p2=3 it would make for a very good match.
And this even more so!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:If you look at the 15 round stats here :arrow: http://www.apterous.org/headtohead.php?p1=2154&p2=3 it would make for a very good match.
And this even more so!
Good to see Chris Maudsley tucked in there just behind Chris Davies, Kirk, Innis and Paul Howe. Series 62 champion fo sho in my eyes.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Just watched it on 'catch up'. The edited version was much more watchable. Although to play along, as they often cut the clock, I had to pause it, and guess 30 seconds.
Well done, Chris, especially not getting fazed by Vinnie's threats! :)
I thought the housemates did quite well, considering none of them are serious players.

Not sure that I appreciate them putting Countdown in as a challenge just because the theme of CBB seems to be an old folks home!

Someone asked on apterous, who was the DC guest. She didn't contribute (at least not on the edit), but it was Kaye Adams, best known for being one of the original line up of 'Loose Women'. Presumably she's the DC guest on the prelim games they were in the studio to film.

http://www.noelgay.com/pdf/kaye_adams_full_cv.pdf
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

...and a very able host of The People Versus. Superb show that was.

Jeff
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Countdown mentioned on new quiz, hosted by 3 blokes, one of which is ex Countdown contestant Alex Horne.

One of the guests is Dr Phil Hammond. Quite funny.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Medicine/
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Countdown mentioned on new quiz, hosted by 3 blokes, one of which is ex Countdown contestant Alex Horne.
Dr Phil on aforementioned quiz, explaining how he comes up with words in DC: "There's a very large man who won Countdown 25 years ago who sits up in the gantry and has an encyclopaedic brain, and he shouts the answers down to you."

Hmmm. Should someone break the news to Phil about Michael Wylie?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Countdown mentioned on new quiz, hosted by 3 blokes, one of which is ex Countdown contestant Alex Horne.
Dr Phil on aforementioned quiz, explaining how he comes up with words in DC: "There's a very large man who won Countdown 25 years ago who sits up in the gantry and has an encyclopaedic brain, and he shouts the answers down to you."

Hmmm. Should someone break the news to Phil about Michael Wylie?
You came out of retirement for that?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Apparently some people have interpreted my comment above as an off-colour joke. FTR it wasn't intended as a joke at all, of any hue. I was genuinely surprised that Dr Phil made what was clearly a reference to Michael Wylie, in the present tense; and wondered if it might conceivably be possible that he was unaware of Michael's passing and somehow thought it was still him, rather than Damian, talking in his earpiece. Unlikely but you never know. Apologies for any offence given.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Welcome back Phil.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Apparently some people have interpreted my comment above as an off-colour joke. FTR it wasn't intended as a joke at all, of any hue. I was genuinely surprised that Dr Phil made what was clearly a reference to Michael Wylie, in the present tense; and wondered if it might conceivably be possible that he was unaware of Michael's passing and somehow thought it was still him, rather than Damian, talking in his earpiece. Unlikely but you never know. Apologies for any offence given.

For what it's worth Phil, i didn't take any offence and took your comments in good faith. Not sure why Dr Phil said that, because when MW worked on Countdown he didn't do any talking to the studio floor via earpieces and he also had a distinct Scottish accent which is easily indentifiable. I think he's probably wanted to give a quick-witted reply and got muddled up in the process. He certainly knows about Michael's passing and knew both of us well enough to be able to tell the difference. Michael would be furious at being mistaken for an Englishman, i can tell you that !!

Good to see you on here again, stick around. ;)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

"There's a very large man who won Countdown 25 years ago who sits up in the gantry and has an encyclopaedic brain, and he shouts the answers down to you."
It's a shame that with the whole 'DC are fed answers' furore Susie often doesn't get as much credit as she deserves, and you can always tell when they're her contribution from her smile :) FTR I just assumed he meant Damian anyway. Granted he's neither first in pie queue, nor has to run around in the shower to get wet, but he's very tall (especially compared to Dr Phil), and take the credit for the brain while it's on offer :lol: (From a doctor that's quite something...)
Lowering the averages since 2009