Interesting Contestants??

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Interesting Contestants??

Post by AnnieHall »

I'm tomorrow's contestant and, one of the things on the show I'm embarrassed about is what Jeff says as he introduces me!
I was at a bit of a loss what to put when faced with the form headed "What interesting/adventurous things have you done (Or words to that effect), so, after discussion with my partner, decided to mention a couple of things we'd done while on our cruise excursions.
One of these was actually reaching the top of Mount Versuvias in Naples. As you all probably know, it's not a mountain, as such, but a (Dormant, hopefully) volcano in Naples open to the public to, if they wish, climb a steep, stony, long path to the top (And enjoy the amazing view) This I finally achieved (much to my partners' surprise). But Jeff makes it sound like I actually climbed a mountain! (As in ropes, pitons, etc). He actually refers to me as an "Adventure girl" and anyone who knows me knows that I'm anything but! (I can't even swim!!). And he mentions the time I rode on horseback up the Sierra Madre mountains (But not the fact that I was scared ****less!). It's not that it was a lie, he just makes me sound a lot more interesting than I am!
It got me thinking, all you former contestants out there reading this thread, how many of you actually did all the things Jeff mentioned on your shows, and how many of them were a bit "Fabricated" (or even, dare I say it "made-up!). Come on, be honest!!
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Re: Interesting Contestants??

Post by Clive Brooker »

Good luck tomorrow!

I was far more nervous about the introductions than I was about the game itself, a ridiculous position to put myself in. Telling someone might have been a good idea! I don't think lied on the form although some of the stuff I put was clearly intended to lead to a predictable line of questioning. I knew Jeff was going to quiz me about my amateur video activities. One thing I often struggle to handle is excessive contrast, and having noted the bit in the instructions to contestants about not wearing white I thought it might be amusing to say I often wish I have the same power. In my nervous haste I jumped ahead and forgot to answer Jeff's initial question, soon becoming aware of a semicircle of camerapeople looking blankly at me. I managed to end with something half sensible and needless to say most of my answer was edited out.

Whilst recovering from the ordeal I lost the first three rounds.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

That's a pretty awesome sight, isn't it?- a studio full of people staring at you, and 4 cameras only feet away from your face! No wonder it's so nerve-wracking!!!
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

AnnieHall wrote:That's a pretty awesome sight, isn't it?- a studio full of people staring at you, and 4 cameras only feet away from your face! No wonder it's so nerve-wracking!!!
I wonder if it is made even more stressful by having other good Countdowners (often previous winners) in the audience, or whether that is regarded by the contestants as supportive and encouraging.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I claimed to have an ambition to swim the channel which was complete bullshit. Sorry Des!

Also I never finished reading Catch 22, but put it as my favourite book. Again sorry Des :(
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: Also I never finished reading Catch 22, but put it as my favourite book.
Did you keep picking it up and reading it from the beginning repeatedly before abandoning it yet again?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Des L chatted to me mid programme as well as at the beginning and asked me about internet dating. I told him about a bloke who'd posted a photo that was so out of date that his chiselled jawline had now turned into an enormous double chin. The audience fell quiet and collectively looked at their shoes while it dawned on me that my opponent was the supporter of an enormous double chin.

As the broadcast date drew near - that was the one thing I was having total apoplexy about. Thank the Lord for diplomacy in the editing suite!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

I was quite fortunate in that I work as a football scout so it was quite relaxing being able to chat to Jeff about it. Although watching it back, I still looked a bag of nerves.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ralph Gillions wrote:
AnnieHall wrote:That's a pretty awesome sight, isn't it?- a studio full of people staring at you, and 4 cameras only feet away from your face! No wonder it's so nerve-wracking!!!
I wonder if it is made even more stressful by having other good Countdowners (often previous winners) in the audience, or whether that is regarded by the contestants as supportive and encouraging.
Interesting point. Anyone? I play a good bit of music in pubs, mainly original stuff, and when other musicians i hold in high regard are ever there, it generally makes me quite nervous. Had a mate who played a gig in Scotland and a couple of his heroes were there (the dudes from Arab Strap). He completely choked and had his worst ever gig. I Had also been playing drums with a few friends up until recently too and i'm fairly new to it. One particular gig we did, a band from the states we'd met up the country turned up out of the blue as they were traveling around and happened to hear we were playing. The drummer (who was quite a good one) sat up the front and pretty much stared at me for the whole gig which again, didn't help.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

It's all about confidence and you have to believe in yourself. If you sit there thinking "these guys are so much better than me and they'll be judging me" then you'll invariably flop. If you don't care about them, have confidence that you'll beat your opponent (which is all that matters) and have confidence in your ability then you should do fine.

I had more c4cers in the audience for the finals and I was indeed more nervous --- but because of the quality of the opposition (and my desire to win) and not because of the quality of the audience.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

My stated favourite book (To Kill a Mockingbird) was just the first acclaimed classic fiction I could think of. I hardly ever read fiction, but you can't say your favourite book is a history of Dutch football which touches on history, geography, art, culture and occasionally football, can you? I was hoping they'd pick up on my 'most like to meet' answer - Suzie Dent, as I knew she'd be off on maternity leave at the time.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Martin Smith wrote:I was hoping they'd pick up on my 'most like to meet' answer - Suzie Dent
Perhaps they sussed that you weren't really that big a fan, if you also misspelled her name on the questionnaire. :roll:
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Clive Brooker wrote:Good luck tomorrow!
This makes absolutely no sense.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matthew Green wrote:
Annie Hall is Anne Durham.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:
Annie Hall is Anne Durham.
Yeah, and she played her game weeks ago. Not 'tomorrow'.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

...And flunked it big time! (story of my life- d'oh!) :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

AnnieHall wrote:...And flunked it big time! (story of my life- d'oh!) :D
You really weren't that bad, IMO. Many of the contestants at this week's World Scrabble Championship were first-time losers on Countdown :)
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

One of the reasons I applied to be a contestant was because I see so many contestants do badly on the show, and wondered "Is it just nerves?. Well, Sarah said only 1 in 3 who apply get on the show, so, therefore, all contestants are good at the game, so the answer must be yes then. (Certainly for me, I know I'd have made much better words if I'd been playing at home). :(

By the way, why has my avatar disappeared?
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

It's ok,it's back (But doesn't always go on) Maybe it's my computer?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

AnnieHall wrote:It's ok,it's back (But doesn't always go on) Maybe it's my computer?
That's always happened to me on here too, usually when I return to the same thread soon after last reading it.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Sue Sanders wrote:Yeah, and she played her game weeks ago. Not 'tomorrow'.
Even the great Kirk wished me retroactive luck for my first game. Is my comment really so incomprehensible?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

AnnieHall wrote:It's ok,it's back (But doesn't always go on) Maybe it's my computer?
I believe it's designed that way: Blocking the downloading of images a second time (so soon after the first) is a good way of reducing load on the server. It happens to all of us (except admin, maybe). ;)
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Alec Rivers wrote:
I believe it's designed that way: Blocking the downloading of images a second time (so soon after the first) is a good way of reducing load on the server. It happens to all of us (except admin, maybe). ;)
You'd hope your browser would have cached those images anyway. Unsatisfying answer imo.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Simon Myers wrote:Unsatisfying answer imo.
Got a better one?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Simon Myers wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Blocking the downloading of images a second time (so soon after the first) is a good way of reducing load on the server. It happens to all of us (except admin, maybe). ;)
You'd hope your browser would have cached those images anyway.
It does, but when you hit the refresh button (which is when the avatars seem to disappear) it tries to reload them.