Best conundrum

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Best conundrum

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think the most recent CoC had some of the nicest conundrums I've ever seen, including SEAPYTHON, FCRAVIOLA and (much as it pains me to admit) ELITEBOUT. The most recent finals also had some gems like NINECARAT and BADLYBEAT. Just wondering what other awesome ones you've seen (on the show or otherwise). Also I wonder how many people who watch even appreciate the craft that goes into making really nice ones like that.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Best conundrum

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think the most recent CoC had some of the nicest conundrums I've ever seen, including SEAPYTHON, FCRAVIOLA and (much as it pains me to admit) ELITEBOUT. The most recent finals also had some gems like NINECARAT and BADLYBEAT. Just wondering what other awesome ones you've seen (on the show or otherwise). Also I wonder how many people who watch even appreciate the craft that goes into making really nice ones like that.
I quite liked the one on my special against Lucy Guile.

As we were both from West Yorkshire, the conundrum was appropriately LEEDSTURF.

The people who sort these conundrums out must definitely take some serious thought into the process.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

PEPSICOLA was probably my favourite of all time but I did like LETISSIER too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

A couple of other nice ones I've seen (can't remember where): SOURCHIVE, SETSQUARE, TOMCRUISE (think that was a series final).
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I quite liked that one from I think it was last year where the jumbled-up word was GERANIUMS, which led to the contestant buzzing in to say GERANIUMS, although that would have been a bit too simple :!: :lol:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I like anything where the scramble makes sense and is relevant, like the AMSPECIAL one in my semi final. ERACLOSES was a nice scramble but the answer is quite simple.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I like anything where the scramble makes sense and is relevant, like the AMSPECIAL one
I don't really understand how that's 'relevant', elucidate?
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

The grand finals over the years have held some absolutely cracking conundrums. MUMLEDFOX is fairly simple but a lovely image, whilst TEEUPLATE and RANDYBUSH are harder and again both connote great imagery. HITPARADE is an excellent scramble, albeit with a not so nice solution, whereas AGOALDOWN from Series 32 is absolutely scrumptious in every way.

Actually, a real couple of favourites of mine come from the Countdown calendar: the first from 2009, MMIXIDEAS, and later in the year the superb BELFASTUK. The latter had me going for hours!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Damian posted in another thread that he put that in the finals as it would refer to the contestants.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Philpot wrote:The grand finals over the years have held some absolutely cracking conundrums. MUMLEDFOX is fairly simple but a lovely image, whilst TEEUPLATE and RANDYBUSH are harder and again both connote great imagery. HITPARADE is an excellent scramble, albeit with a not so nice solution, whereas AGOALDOWN from Series 32 is absolutely scrumptious in every way.

Actually, a real couple of favourites of mine come from the Countdown calendar: the first from 2009, MMIXIDEAS, and later in the year the superb BELFASTUK. The latter had me going for hours!
I think the one in your avatar would probably come pretty near the top of any list I might compile.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Actually the real shuffle for that one (BIGPRONKS) is pretty damn clever in itself.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:A couple of other nice ones I've seen (can't remember where): SOURCHIVE, SETSQUARE, TOMCRUISE (think that was a series final).
SOURCHIVE was my scramble (so cheers) but don't think it's been on the show. Incidentally, neither Tom Hargreaves nor Julian Fell solved it but it made Craig's list. There was also a furore about it caused by Gevin, who is not unlike a cunt aside from being useless.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Michael Wallace wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I like anything where the scramble makes sense and is relevant, like the AMSPECIAL one
I think Kirk is making immodest reference to his being special and he certainly is ...

... special school ...... special Olympics ... special yellow bus ... all spring to mind.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Chris Philpot wrote:The grand finals over the years have held some absolutely cracking conundrums. MUMLEDFOX is fairly simple but a lovely image, whilst TEEUPLATE and RANDYBUSH are harder and again both connote great imagery. HITPARADE is an excellent scramble, albeit with a not so nice solution, whereas AGOALDOWN from Series 32 is absolutely scrumptious in every way.

I think the one in your avatar would probably come pretty near the top of any list I might compile.
I posted the above, shut down the computer, made a sandwich and headed upstairs to watch Psychoville - and realised as I did so that it would have been much funnier had I said, "The one in your avatar appears to be unbeatable". But hey, I can't be witty all the time.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Phil Reynolds wrote: I posted the above, shut down the computer, made a sandwich and headed upstairs to watch Psychoville - and realised as I did so that it would have been much funnier had I said, "The one in your avatar appears to be unbeatable". But hey, I can't be witty any of the time.
I have taken the liberty of amending this for you, it was obviously typed in a hurry.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I have to say I liked LEGALSIRS, as it was tough but fair. Not a word I use often or would even know to be valid, but certainly deducible. I'd much rather be beaten by this than, say, ELITEBOUT which I'd never heard of.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I'd much rather be beaten by this than, say, ELITEBOUT which I'd never heard of.
Possibly you'd heard of it but forgotten it.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Strange, I've been thinking about this recently before this thread.

I came up with some rather nice scrambles:

INTRIGUED (booooring)
CREATEDUS
RESTILGOE

Er, I've forgotten the rest.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Strange, I've been thinking about this recently before this thread.

INTRIGUED (booooring)
CREATEDUS
RESTILGOE

You told me about COMEAGAIN when we were in Unit One (yes, I was in a bar with a kid, and yes I was grooming him), which is awesome, although I don't know if that was one of your own.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I have to say I liked LEGALSIRS
I set this in a MSN online game (Corby versus Travers) with the scramble RILESSLAG.

Was thinking we should have a competition to see who can come up with the best original scramble - winner gets a Mars bar or some such.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Strange, I've been thinking about this recently before this thread.

INTRIGUED (booooring)
CREATEDUS
RESTILGOE

You told me about COMEAGAIN when we were in Unit One (yes, I was in a bar with a kid, and yes I was grooming him), which is awesome, although I don't know if that was one of your own.
Oh yeh, that was one of them, and yes I did make it up :D
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Charlie Reams wrote:Actually the real shuffle for that one (BIGPRONKS) is pretty damn clever in itself.
I'll admit that I had to look up the definition of "pronk" but, having done so, it's absolutely fantastic. Ditto COMEAGAIN, actually. Of those which I have devised myself, I definitely discovered SETSQUARE at some point but am not sure if I ever set it as a conundrum back in the pre-Apterous MSN Countdown days. Another of my devising is SURETHING which is like Kai's in its immediate recognisability as a common phrase, but it lacks the lovely neither common prefixed nor common suffixed solution.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is it an unwritten rule that when people talk about conundrums they don't mention the solution?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David O'Donnell wrote:SOURCHIVE was my scramble (so cheers) but don't think it's been on the show. Incidentally, neither Tom Hargreaves nor Julian Fell solved it but it made Craig's list. There was also a furore about it caused by Gevin, who is not unlike a cunt aside from being useless.
I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Edit - I think I'm with you now. I think it's all made up and you were just being a twat. I know I'm at least half right.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is it an unwritten rule that when people talk about conundrums they don't mention the solution?
Not any more.

FWIW it was me that devised SETSQUARE, although I remember Crispy posting that he solved it on 0.5 seconds. I'm sure I'm not the first, though.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Of the ones I've created, NOPULSEDR, RUDEFARTS, COMBINERY and FANTHEISM are probably my favourites. Bit lacklustre compared to some of the above though.
Gavin Chipper wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:SOURCHIVE was my scramble (so cheers) but don't think it's been on the show. Incidentally, neither Tom Hargreaves nor Julian Fell solved it but it made Craig's list. There was also a furore about it caused by Gevin, who is not unlike a cunt aside from being useless.
I don't have a clue what you're talking about.
It was me who failed to spot that and not Julian. And Gavin, your own personalised conundrum!

DREARYGAV
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Howe wrote:DREARYGAV
SCOURPAUL
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

CHOKINVAG
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

^ scratch that...

UPTHEARSE
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Matt Morrison wrote:UPTHEARSE
That is fabulous - I can only offer THIGHWANK in riposte.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Morrison wrote:^ scratch that...

UPTHEARSE
Supoib :mrgreen:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
SCOURPAUL
Touche. :geek: That the best you can manage in 30 minutes?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I found EMMASCLIT last night
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I found EMMASCLIT last night
The first, and only, time.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

At least I don't have KIRKMANGE :P
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:I found EMMASCLIT last night
The first, and only, time.
Sorry Dinos, mate, this made me LOL!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

some more I found (not all for words currently used as conundrums though):

BIGFATLEA

OIBOOBIES

ROSEYSLUT

DIRTYSACK

PENISTTUG

SMUTTYNOA (oops, stupid me... this one is a plural)

YETIBALLS
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:some more I found (not all for words currently used as conundrums though)
:?: Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?

I was quite proud of my proposal of LEEDSLAST for the final conundrum of Series 60, though of course Damian's suggestion of LEEDSBOOT was even better.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:some more I found (not all for words currently used as conundrums though)
Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?
The whole list of nine letter words was hand-filtered by Charlie (and Sid, I think), cutting out about half of the total words as they were too tough to use as conundrums.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?
The whole list of nine letter words was hand-filtered by Charlie (and Sid, I think), cutting out about half of the total words as they were too tough to use as conundrums.
It's not all about Apterous! There is also a programme known as "Countdown". ;)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Speaking of conundrums, has anyone seen this slightly weird Countdown related story from East Anglia :?:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/ne ... 3A31%3A080
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

AIDSCUNTS

CHILDRAPE

WANKSTAIN

ARSEBLEED

FUCKGEESE
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
:?: Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?
And doubles, like CRAFTIEST/TRIFECTAS.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Surely a conundrum can be any valid nine-letter word - the only current exception I'm aware of is that -S plurals aren't used?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Oh yeah, I was aware of (but had temporarily forgotten) that. Your example is an interesting one though. I'd assumed that a word like CRAFTIEST would be valid as a conundrum because its only anagram is a plural, which is invalid according to the other rule. (Also, of course, TRIFECTAS could be used as the scramble, like the notorious GERANIUMS incident.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Oh yeah, I was aware of (but had temporarily forgotten) that. Your example is an interesting one though. I'd assumed that a word like CRAFTIEST would be valid as a conundrum because its only anagram is a plural, which is invalid according to the other rule. (Also, of course, TRIFECTAS could be used as the scramble, like the notorious GERANIUMS incident.)
The plurals rule isn't really a rule, Damian just doesn't like setting them.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Matthew Green wrote:AIDSCUNTS

CHILDRAPE

WANKSTAIN

ARSEBLEED

FUCKGEESE
Matthew, seriously, get some help.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Matthew Green wrote:AIDSCUNTS

CHILDRAPE

WANKSTAIN

ARSEBLEED

FUCKGEESE
According to Lexplorer, none of these have valid solutions.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

DEBIFLACK
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I'm quite fond of SEEOURGIG, which I've just made up.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:The plurals rule isn't really a rule
So we might see DINOSARSE one of these days?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

ALITEGAIN
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

There's this guy at Callum's school called Kai Perry, and AKAIPERRY would be great for if he went on (which he wouldn't).
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:The plurals rule isn't really a rule
So we might see DINOSARSE one of these days?
Or even CHEERSKAI

(Sorry for all of these, just playing with Zyzzyva)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

KAIMETERS
SCROTEKAI
KAISQUEER
KAISTENSE
LISTENKAI
KAISMENUS
KAISURONE
KAISSTORE

And a plural (but I had to include it for the comedy value):

KAISSHITE
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

TIMETRIAL
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kai Laddiman wrote:TIMETRIAL
LITERATIM
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

How about a nice Countdown themed one?

MYTEAPOTS
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Nominations for best?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

INDATCUBE
BREADCUBE
OANDCUBES
SNORTCUBE