"Frustrated by the programme marginalising her sexuality."

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Re: "Frustrated by the programme marginalising her sexuality."

Post by George Jenkins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Seems like you were pretty lucky not to get hit by that train though.
Charlie; I'm trying to think of something funny, but I can't keep up with you young blokes. I'm going away to sulk.

That Engine is a King Arthur class, number 800. I was taking her (Engines were always "her or she") up to Cannon Street for the 5.41 to Dover.(this was before the 24 hour clock came in) That tie I am wearing was how we dressed at that time. Highly coloured American ties and Zoot suits.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I see similarities with my own writing
That's quite funny, because you know how sometimes on a forum you sometimes get people muddled up (maybe it's just me)? But I sometimes do with you and Phil.

By the way, on the subject of campness, I'm not sure how conscious a thing it is. If someone hangs around with camp people, it's likely to "rub off" as people who hang around with each other often have similar mannerisms to some degree.

But also one of my friends is gay but when I first met him he had a girlfriend and was completely in denial even to himself. But he was also quite camp, and a lot of people were surprised he had a girlfriend. So I wouldn't see that as conscious campness.
I'm not so sure the campness is always intentional. I tend to think it's just a symptom of gayness, rather than a deliberate effort. I can't help notice nobody's mentioned Chris Wills yet. Perhaps I should shut up now.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

George Jenkins wrote:I was taking her up Cannon Street for the 5.41 to Dover
You're definitely not gay then.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Martin Gardner wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:I was taking her up Cannon Street for the 5.41 to Dover
You're definitely not gay then.
Imagine a naked skinny little old man with white hair in his lonely single bedroom, laughing his head off. you shouldn't do that to me Martin.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I had a quick count, and I reckon I've had about 8 gay friends (that I knew about) over the years. Depends on your definition of friend - one is someone I've only ever known over the Internet, one is a member of my family that I haven't seen for about 12 months now, and one was someone I didn't know for very long. I've been to a gay club before, someone ironic because we were all straight (as far as I know) but a lot of us were under 18, and it was the only place we could all get in. I've also been to Queen's Court in Leeds, which is the gay spot (not particularly close to the YTV Studios) with my friend that's a lesbian.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Martin Gardner wrote:I reckon I've had about 8 gay friends (that I knew about) over the years.
Considering part of your post was debating the definition of 'friend', you might have wanted to rephrase that first sentence.
Couple of Rohypnol jokes to be made too.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The main gay club in Exeter is called The Vaults. One of the most popular student nightclubs is called Volts. I've seen the similarity of the names cause all sorts of trouble in the past.
The Vaults is also located on Queen's Street. And next door to it is a kitsch gift shop called Clayhanger.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I try not to place people in neat little categories labelled by their sexual tastes and needs.
I am more of a spectrum person.
One can't avoid the straight or gay stereotyping, but privately I like to think of a sliding scale.
A whole range of sexual desires (often not fixed) which can change as we move through life.

To make a comment on Matt`s remarks about campness.
Like many (most?) other things in life this may be subjective.
I know people who can put on a camp performance. They can if they choose act in a camp manner.
Some are more convincing than others, as you would expect from "acting". They can switch it on and turn it off.
I also know people who cannot turn off the camp.
Even when they try very hard, the campness seems to be so innate that it can't be disguised or hidden.
Others do not know that they present as camp.
Sometimes "it takes one to know one".
Last edited by Ralph Gillions on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

To be honest, despite our sexuality sometimes being a big part of who we are, in the end I judge on their personality. It doesn't matter what their preferences are if they're friendly and a nice person generally!
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

Ralph Gillions wrote:I try not to place people in neat little categories labelled by their sexual tastes and needs.
I am more of a spectrum person.
One can't avoid the straight or gay stereotyping, but privately I like to think of a sliding scale.
A whole range of sexual desires (often not fixed) which can change as we move through life.
Same here; it's too complicated to try to define what makes someone gay or straight or bisexual. Loads of people have same-sex crushes in their early teens then grow out of it, does that mean that they're bisexual to start with and grow into being straight? And there's the phonomenon of women who are supposedly completely straight until they hit the menopause, then something changes and they lose all interest in men and go after women instead, they don't fit neatly into any category.
As for transsexuals... I know a couple where one is a male to female trans, the other is female to male. The MTF one maintains that he/she is gay. Whatever that means :roll:
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Some jokes to lighten the mood;

Q How do asthmatic lesbians breathe?
A In snatches.

Q What do lesbians do on a second date?
A Move in together.

I love lesbians, me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I can't help notice nobody's mentioned Chris Wills yet. Perhaps I should shut up now.
Good point. But some people are camp, whereas some are annoyingly so. I think the prime quiz-show-related example of annoyingly so would be CJ from Eggheads, also on Countdown.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I can't help notice nobody's mentioned Chris Wills yet. Perhaps I should shut up now.
Good point. But some people are camp, whereas some are annoyingly so. I think the prime quiz-show-related example of annoyingly so would be CJ from Eggheads, also on Countdown.
My Wife Olive likes to watch the T.V. show; In it to win it with Dale Winton. I understand that Dale was asked to cut down on the "camp" when he was offered the job. I like the way that he talks to the contestants and "acts" with his eyes and expressions.

On the other extreme, I was in the Drivers mess room at Victoria Station, (that was my depot) and we were being regaled by a Driver about his sexual exploits and how he treated women.

When the usually dormant nasty side of of my true self had reached a suitable boiling point, I said to him, "Why do you have to keep telling us about your sex life and how you treat women?" He replied, "because it proves that I am a real He-man".

I said, "But a real He-man doesn't have to prove anything, and the women that you have would have anybody.

Well; that was the last time that he bored us with his exploits.

Mind you, I also acquired a reputation as ruthless ladies man, and that none of my workmates wives were safe when I was on the prowl. My reputation was known at most of the Driver's Depots in Kent.
When I was Plumbing, I received a call from a Driver's Wife, asking me to stop a leak in the bathroom. Round I went, and rang the bell, and Dorothy opened the door. Now Dorothy is a very tall girl with very long legs, and she's wearing a VERY short satin nighty. I told Dorothy that I was sorry and I'll come back later. "No" she said ,"it's got to be done now".

I followed her into the bathroom, and the leak was under the sink. I'm stretched on the floor under the sink, Dorothy's toe is is almost sticking in my left ear, and I'm trying not to look up her legs. While I am mending the leak, Dorothy is telling me how horrible her husband is, How he beats her up and, "he doesn't know what his workmates are doing to her while he is at work"

I finished the leak and managed to stand up without climbing up Dorothy's legs, and said. "all done Dorothy, and I don't want any money because Norman's a mate. She insisted on me taking
£5 "to make him pay".

When I got home I told Olive everything, because Driver's Wives natter to each other. A couple of days later I'm walking towards the Driver's room at Victoria, and I was accosted by Ken Hilton, one of my workmates. He said "George; the boys can't believe it, we thought that you were a Quiet family man, but now we've heard that you're knocking off the Wives while the men are at work.
I said "where did you get that idea", and he said,"Norman's up in the room, and he telling everyone that there is a Driver knocking his Wife up, he won't say his name but he does Plumbing. I had to smile at that, because most of the Driver's in most of the Depots in Kent, knew that I was the only qualified Plumber, In fact, a lot of them would ask for my advice on how to do things, from simple jobs to complete central heating systems.
After that, where ever I made the tea, I received knowing smiles and "fancy old George being like that".
I'm ashamed to admit that I revelled in the notoriety. Norman and Dorothy moved up north and divorced. I'm not bothered if they read this (if they are still alive), I could have lost my Wife and marriage because that lie.
So; all you minority groups, what about me. At 13, in the war,I was in charge of 8 children in my Uncle's house. my instructions were to see the children into bed by 9 o.clock, while all my Uncles and Aunts and my parents went boozing.

At 9 I said "up to bed" and my cousin Nelly aged 11 said "if you make us go to bed, I'll tell my Dad you've been rude". I still made them go to bed, and when all the boozers came in, Nelly came downstairs and said "George's been rude". Everybody went silent and I heard my Aunt Rose say "we'd better not leave them on their own again". they believed Nelly.

Forward to when I'm 14, and because of my medical condition, the Teacher was able to imply that I was stupid, much to the merriment of the class
At 16 I was informed that I wasn't a "real man", by a drunken Bastard, my Dad.

And later on in life I aquired the reputation of shagging the wives of my mates while they are at work, and because I am so clever, I was able to achieve those reputations by doing absolutely nothing. Well; I'm happy to say that most of the people in my story are dead, including my Cousin Nelly.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry to stray off topic, but George, if that's you, you look like Patrick Duffy!

If you've seen "Dallas," you know who he is.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

George Jenkins wrote:When I was Plumbing, I received a call from a Driver's Wife, asking me to stop a leak in the bathroom.
I completely misjudged the direction in which this story was heading. :) Sounded remarkably like the beginning of one of Wogan's "Janet and John" stories.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'm sorry to stray off topic, but George, if that's you, you look like Patrick Duffy!

If you've seen "Dallas," you know who he is.
Yes Jason, that is me. I thought that the young lads and lassies on this Forum might like see an old man instead of the young Engine Driver that was shown previously'

No; I don't watch Dallas, but you've got me worried. Considering the history of my life, will I get the blame for all the things that Patrick Duffy gets up to.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Re: "Frustrated by the programme marginalising her

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:When I was Plumbing, I received a call from a Driver's Wife, asking me to stop a leak in the bathroom.
I completely misjudged the direction in which this story was heading. :)
Sounds as though Dorothy did, too!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I completely misjudged the direction in which this story was heading. :)
Sounds as though Dorothy did, too!
I think Rosemary, that Dorothy must have spun a lurid story about her and me cavorting in the bedroom, because Norman was convinced that I'd had my lecherous way with her.

I can joke about that now, but I can never forgive Nellie for branding me as a Pervert, and even my own Mother believed her. I wrote this story as an example of a different kind of minority persicution, and I resolved that I would never be like my Parents, and my children will never see me drunk.
So what happens? My two daughters love parties and they get drunk of course. Ah well; you can't win 'em all.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You do look very good for your age, George!

And here is Patrick Duffy's bio. Then, you can compare how he looks to how you look!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Duffy
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jason Larsen wrote:You do look very good for your age, George!
And here is Patrick Duffy's bio. Then, you can compare how he looks to how you look!
I'll be honest, I don't see the likeness at all.

Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Matt Morrison wrote:

Oh I don't know - shades of grey, head on top of shoulders etc
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Matt Morrison wrote:

Yup; that's me in a fog
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

George Jenkins wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:

Yup; that's me in a fog
:lol:

Obviously, Jason was meant post a link that looked like this.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, that's him, Joseph!

Do you see the resemblance?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, that's him, Joseph!

I do actually see it Jason. Not sure what George thinks though.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Yes, that's him, Joseph!

I do actually see it Jason. Not sure what George thinks though.
Yup! that handsome bloke is definatetly me
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Jenkins wrote:Well; I'm happy to say that most of the people in my story are dead, including my Cousin Nelly.
That's a bit harsh!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Gavin Chipper wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:Well; I'm happy to say that most of the people in my story are dead, including my Cousin Nelly.
That's a bit harsh!
Oh, I don't know - I got the impression that Cousin Nelly had it coming.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
That's a bit harsh!
Oh, I don't know - I got the impression that Cousin Nelly had it coming.
First I must apologise for the direction that this thread has taken. I intended it to be an example of how minority groups can be victimised which was what the original thread was about, and in school I was certainly a minority of One. I can still see myself walking back to my desk and the grinning faces all round. I can still see my Uncles and Aunts whispering and no doubt talking about the pervert and the danger to the little kids that I'm looking after. And of course there was Nelly standing there with a smirk on her face.

There is one little detail that I'd like to mention. I bought an old folding camera for £1, and my dad surprised me by suggesting I save up and buy a good camera. So I did that, and gave my old camera to a workmate. A few days later, daddy come home from the pub, slumped in an armchair and said, "I won't forget you for that mate". I thought, Eh! and my mind raced, wondering what I'd done. He said, "I wanted that camera you gave away". So for the first time in my life I answered him back and said, "but you were the one whom said it was no good". With that He got out of the chair and went for me. Fortunately for me the table was in the way, and he had to scramble across it, scattering the dinner crockery and grabbing a knife. He swung at me with it and missed and I scarpered out and went down the road to a bus stop. My little sister Helen came with me crying.

I went to my Gran's house in Deptford, which as usual was full of my Aunts and Uncles, And they blamed the war. So Lads and Lassies, you have to imagine a million men coming home from the war and sticking knives into their kids. The next day dad arrived and offered to shake hands and forget it. So I shook hands, and never forgot it.

Yes Gavin, it is harsh, but it was still a happy feeling when they all died with self inflicted diseases like lung cancer, emphysema and Alcohol, due to their life style which I refused to join, in order to become a real man.

Now that's done with, we can get back to the real purpose of this Forum, having a go at the fellow members, having arguments and hopefully upsetting somebody.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

George Jenkins wrote:Now that's done with, we can get back to the real purpose of this Forum, having a go at the fellow members, having arguments and hopefully upsetting somebody.
Spot on!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The comments page continues to grow:
Sibr wrote:Kate - I think most readers of this magazine are supportive. I suspect some of the odder comments are actually people who have come here from the countdown forum; a link to this article has been posted there.
charlie reams wrote:The only comment from anyone on the Countdown forum (aside from me) is that of David Dawson, a well-known idiot. I have yet to see any evidence supporting Kate’s hit-and-run allegation of aggression and homophobia. Perhaps she’d be kind enough to oblige, or retract her remarks.
db stevens wrote:I had a look at the countdown forum and Mr Charlie Reams, who seems to be in charge there, accuses someone of being a racist poofter. Perhaps he’d be kind enough to oblige, or retract his remarks. What’s good for the goose etc etc
DB Stevens has certainly got you there Charlie. How on earth are you going to get out of that one?

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
db stevens wrote:I had a look at the countdown forum and Mr Charlie Reams, who seems to be in charge there, accuses someone of being a racist poofter. Perhaps he’d be kind enough to oblige, or retract his remarks. What’s good for the goose etc etc
DB Stevens has certainly got you there Charlie. How on earth are you going to get out of that one?
At least Charlie got called Mr - that's pretty cool.
But yeah, bloody annoying that people are (deliberately?) misinterpreting the forum. I was going to suggest it makes for a fair argument to only allow the place to be read by members, but that'd just be hassle for the rest of us, and wouldn't stop these mischievous lesbians signing up just to call Charlie a racist.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll just call you Bobby as a nickname, George!
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

This is a really interesting thread and I've just read through it all from the beginning. I must admit that I didn't take too much notice of it before, but enjoy a really good debate. I love George's stories about his life and, Phil, what a very nice voice you've got. I've actually met, and made friends with, many homosexual people over the years, especially when I was working for a well-known holiday company on the coast here in Spain. We had such fun over the years I worked there as I found homosexual men, especially, to be so extrovert and entertaining. I really should have written a book as some of the escapades were hilarious and in complete contrast to the 15 years I spent working as a secretary in a bank in UK before I came here. I just love interesting people no matter what their sexual orientation is, in fact one of my best friends here is a very camp homosexual who has been with his partner for over 45 years. He's had one of the most interesting lives of any of my friends, from being a dancer in West End shows to a drag artist in a tourist show at a hotel here, and still, at our age he can have me in absolute stitches.

I actually thought Kate was an interesting character and wasn't in the least concerned about the fact that she is a lesbian. I've been very happily married for 37 years and people are just people to me, some nice, some not so nice, some warm, some not so warm, but people, the same as me.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've replied to this particularly moronic post as politely as I could manage. I like how he's tried to ironically quote my own words back at me, even though "kind enough to oblige" doesn't make any sense in his own sentence.

Btw I'm assuming it's a "he" because I'm a sexist poofter.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I've replied to this particularly moronic post as politely as I could manage. I like how he's tried to ironically quote my own words back at me, even though "kind enough to oblige" doesn't make any sense in his own sentence.

Btw I'm assuming it's a "he" because I'm a sexist poofter.
He's quite possibly a racist poofter, which would explain why he was offended.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

To George:

Patrick Duffy's character on Dallas was named Bobby Ewing. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't want to call you Bobby in an affectionate manner. I just want to do that in a friendly way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:Phil, what a very nice voice you've got.
Thanks Kathleen. You are clearly a woman of tremendous discernment and taste. 8-)
We had such fun over the years I worked there as I found homosexual men, especially, to be so extrovert and entertaining.
And they make such wonderful pets... ;) Sorry, I'm teasing because generalisations like this one always make me cringe a bit. Some gay men are boring idiots, some are spiteful and selfish, and some are downright evil - just like everyone else. Of course, you aren't really making a generalisation at all, because you're talking about your own experience and the gay men that you encountered in your line of work (many of whom will have been entertainers by profession).
I just love interesting people no matter what their sexual orientation is
Quite.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jon Corby wrote:

People who know the forum know that there's quite a lot of bad language and "joshing" going on. A bit like on the Apterous forum when Kirk said "I got a max, why isn't it in bold?" and Charlie replied "That's because you're a cunt". I suppose if you're totally new to the forum, you could think that's an insult, but to us we're just used to it.

It reminds me of the Eminem Song Criminal. I quote:
Eminem wrote:A lot of people think that.. what I say on record
or what I talk about on a record, that I actually do in real life
or that I believe in it
Or if I say that, I wanna kill somebody, that...
I'm actually gonna do it
or that I believe in it
Well, shit... if you believe that
then I'll kill you
But yeah, I don't think her comment is moronic, she's just had to take the remark totally out of context to make it work.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

It's noticeable that Kate came on here made a few remarks then disappeared, and seems to have done the same on the Lesbian web site.
As the title said - she's a "mischievous contestant"
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

It's all kicked off here hasn't it? Everyone seems to be bending over forwards trying to prove how friendly they are to the gayers. And all because Charlie was rude to the lesbians. Who'd have thought it?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

david dawson wrote:It's all kicked off here hasn't it? Everyone seems to be bending over forwards trying to prove how friendly they are to the gayers. And all because Charlie was rude to the lesbians. Who'd have thought it?
Basically, most of us don't categorise people according to how straight they are but according to how stupid they are. And the wilfully stupid are in a class of their own even further from the mainstream.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

david dawson wrote:Everyone seems to be bending over forwards trying to prove how friendly they are to the gayers.
Charlie's description of you on the Lesbilicious site becomes more apt with every post you make.
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
david dawson wrote:Everyone seems to be bending over forwards trying to prove how friendly they are to the gayers.
Charlie's description of you on the Lesbilicious site becomes more apt with every post you make.
I know, he's very good isn't he?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

it's admittedly leftfield, but has anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson theory yet?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jason Larsen wrote:To George:

Patrick Duffy's character on Dallas was named Bobby Ewing. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't want to call you Bobby in an affectionate manner. I just want to do that in a friendly way.
Oh alright then Jason, that means I'll have to put the duelling pistols away.Damm!
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Matt Morrison wrote:it's admittedly leftfield, but has anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson theory yet?
You crazy old poofter you.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

George, what I said was not a joke!

But more importantly, is Kate Richardson coming back here?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Matt Morrison wrote:it's admittedly leftfield, but has anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson theory yet?
No, not even Kate would be that fixated on herself surely.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson = ian fitzpatrick theory yet?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson = ian fitzpatrick theory yet?
Shocked nobody's picked up on the Kate Richardson = David Dawson = Ian Fitzpatrick = Ben Hunter.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:This is a really interesting thread and I've just read through it all from the beginning. I must admit that I didn't take too much notice of it before, but enjoy a really good debate. I love George's stories about his life and, Phil, what a very nice voice you've got. I've actually met, and made friends with, many homosexual people over the years, especially when I was working for a well-known holiday company on the coast here in Spain. We had such fun over the years I worked there as I found homosexual men, especially, to be so extrovert and entertaining. I really should have written a book as some of the escapades were hilarious and in complete contrast to the 15 years I spent working as a secretary in a bank in UK before I came here. I just love interesting people no matter what their sexual orientation is, in fact one of my best friends here is a very camp homosexual who has been with his partner for over 45 years. He's had one of the most interesting lives of any of my friends, from being a dancer in West End shows to a drag artist in a tourist show at a hotel here, and still, at our age he can have me in absolute stitches.

I actually thought Kate was an interesting character and wasn't in the least concerned about the fact that she is a lesbian. I've been very happily married for 37 years and people are just people to me, some nice, some not so nice, some warm, some not so warm, but people, the same as me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:Anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson = ian fitzpatrick theory yet?
Jimmy Gough wrote:Shocked nobody's picked up on the Kate Richardson = David Dawson = Ian Fitzpatrick = Ben Hunter.
You're both being utterly sloppy with your capitalisations - an essential part of my genius theory was the lower case usernames...
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Ben Hunter wrote:Anyone gone for the kate richardson = david dawson = ian fitzpatrick theory yet?
Jimmy Gough wrote:Shocked nobody's picked up on the Kate Richardson = David Dawson = Ian Fitzpatrick = Ben Hunter.
I think I've cracked it! Kate Richardson = David Dawson = Ian Fitzpatrick = Ben Hunter = Matt Morrison! Looks like the problem is solved.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Hannah O wrote:
I think I've cracked it! Kate Richardson = David Dawson = Ian Fitzpatrick = Ben Hunter = Matt Morrison! Looks like the problem is solved.
Shouldn't there be some +, -, x (times by) and division (the symbol that only Charlie can do), in there somewhere?
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jason Larsen wrote:George, what I said was not a joke!

But more importantly, is Kate Richardson coming back here?
Sorry Jason, I thought you were joking. you can call me what you like, it won't be worse than what my disrespectful Nephews call me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:division (the symbol that only Charlie can do)
suck my ÷÷÷÷ ;)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kathleen Batlle wrote:Phil, what a very nice voice you've got.
Thanks Kathleen. You are clearly a woman of tremendous discernment and taste. 8-)
We had such fun over the years I worked there as I found homosexual men, especially, to be so extrovert and entertaining.
And they make such wonderful pets... ;) Sorry, I'm teasing because generalisations like this one always make me cringe a bit. Some gay men are boring idiots, some are spiteful and selfish, and some are downright evil - just like everyone else. Of course, you aren't really making a generalisation at all, because you're talking about your own experience and the gay men that you encountered in your line of work (many of whom will have been entertainers by profession).
I just love interesting people no matter what their sexual orientation is
Quite.
You're probably right, Phil, and the tourist industry does seem to attract homosexual men, especially, and reps really had to be extrovert to do the job. I lead a very sheltered life in UK working in a bank (quite stuffy in those days) and, as far as I know, there were no homosexuals amongst the staff there. Well, maybe there were, but I wouldn't have noticed and anyway they would have been much more discreet at that time and in that kind of a job. Wow, I felt as though I'd come out of a tunnel into the sun when I came over here and started working will all these 'fun' people.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Sorry I had to 'quote' everything in that last post, but I haven't yet worked out how to quote just a piece of the message I'm commenting on. No doubt someone will tell me now.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:I haven't yet worked out how to quote just a piece of the message I'm commenting on. No doubt someone will tell me now.
You must be thinking it's more complicated than it is Kathleen, as all you need to do is... well, just delete the bits of the text you don't want!
For example, from your quote above I just removed "Sorry I had to 'quote' everything in that last post, but".

The only potentially complicated bit is working out the structure of quotes within quotes, so I hope this helps. The following code:

Code: Select all

[quote="Person A"] Person A said this [/quote]
[quote="Person B"] Person B said this
[quote="Person C"] and this is Person C's reply[/quote]
[/quote]
(it's in a code box so that it doesn't actually appear as quotes like it does below!) will produce:
Person A wrote: Person A said this
Person B wrote: Person B said this
Person C wrote: and this is Person C's reply
As you can see, Person C's reply was 'nested' inside Person B's message because the [/quote] for Person B had not yet ended (it ends after Person C's [/quote] ends)