Birthdays

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Re: Birthdays

Post by Alec Rivers »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Seems like the ideal time for a reprise of Laddiman's Cake Walk.
Hmm, gives me an idea ....
I forgot all about this! Click here for my interpretation. :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Happy 31st birthday to my nemesis, Mr McCurdie.

I didn't actually know he was on the forum until it was shown on the birthdays bit at the bottom!

Having said that, he has only done one post, so he has been a bit on the quiet side.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Happy Birthday, Phil! Big 4-0 soon. :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

James Robinson wrote:Happy 31st birthday to my nemesis, Mr McCurdie.
Is he the guy that RASPILLED you good and proper? :P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
That was uneyelingly harsh Dinos.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Unfortunately so. I still haven't and will never get over the fact that I just capitulated on that game.

Really if I'd won that game, I would've almost certainly been in the finals.

Obviously I was never going to win the series, not in a million years against Kirk, but I still think I could've done a reasonable job there.

It's going to haunt me for the rest of my life is that blumming conundrum. :x
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

James Robinson wrote:Really if I'd won that game, I would've almost certainly been in the finals.

Obviously I was never going to win the series, not in a million years against Kirk, but I still think I could've done a reasonable job there.

Commiserations, James.
I expect Ian Dent's happy though.

It's cool though how the word blumming/blooming/bloomin' is coming back into popular use. I saw some of Never Mind the Buzzcocks the other day, and the guy from N-Dubz kept saying it all the time.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Really if I'd won that game, I would've almost certainly been in the finals.

Commiserations, James.
I expect Ian Dent's happy though.

It's cool though how the word blumming/blooming/bloomin' is coming back into popular use. I saw some of Never Mind the Buzzcocks the other day, and the guy from N-Dubz kept saying it all the time.
Bring back the retro cuss words, like fiddlesticks and crikey.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Happy birthday Sue.(you are catching me up)
I thought I would get in before Charlie.
BTW how's that effigy of John Gaunt coming along.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Hippo Burpday, Sue!

As a prezzie, I'm happy to pop up one day soon to show you what you said you wanted showing. Remember what we were talking about in Manchester? :D
Last edited by Alec Rivers on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

And Happy Birthday, Lara.

(No prezzie, tho, I'm afraid.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote:And Happy Birthday, Lara.

(No prezzie, tho, I'm afraid.)
Happy birthday Tara!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Happy birthday Sue! :D Can I come too please to see what Alec's got? ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lesley Hines wrote:Happy birthday Sue! :D Can I come too please to see what Alec's got? ;)
Happy Birthday, Sue! ;) :) :D

Unlike Lesley, I'm not desperate to see what Alec has got for you, although I'm slightly intrigued. :?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Marc Meakin wrote:Happy birthday Sue.
Hadn't realised it was going to be that kind of birthday bash. Is there still room in the queue, Sue? :D

Have a great day, anyway. And you too, Lara
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Happy Birthday to Sue Sanders and Lara Searle! :D 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Hadn't realised it was going to be that kind of birthday bash. Is there still room in the queue, Sue? :D

Thank you, all. I had a lovely birthday involving getting tipsy in the middle of the day, and then going in London to see a comedy gig (David O'Doherty – well worth seeing) Missed the last train home but that's another story!

Re; Alec's 'gift'. Sorry - I have no idea either - we talked of many things in Manchester and I've slept since then! But I'll FB him and find out!

I thought it quite appropiate that Howard picked upon the phrase 'Birthday Bash', especially following Marc's tongue-in-cheek comment about getting 'in before Charlie'. As Marc was posting on the spoiler thread on Dec 1st, I know what he's alluding to. It seems my dislike of Jon Gaunt was unworthy of posting, an opinion supported apparently by my lowly position on the popularity poll!! So thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday on here, on FB , by email and by text. I seem to have quite a lot of friends for someone who is apparently SUCH a waste of space!!

I’ve enjoyed getting to know so many new people and, almost without exception, you’re a great bunch. However, the exception is starting to get tiresome now and I really can’t be doing with being any sort of pawn for someone working through his insecurities (though the recurring excuse that crops up amongst forumites looking for explanations of a somewhat cocky manner is ‘immaturity’) So, I'm going to bow out for a while. I might come back, I might not (that’ll have the quote button being hit!) I hope to see some of you at Lincoln, but for now, I can’t be bothered with the churlishness. Everyone up for the Eggheads, you have my email address, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers and have a great Christmas and New Year

Sue x
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:

Thank you, all. I had a lovely birthday involving getting tipsy in the middle of the day, and then going in London to see a comedy gig (David O'Doherty – well worth seeing) Missed the last train home but that's another story!

Re; Alec's 'gift'. Sorry - I have no idea either - we talked of many things in Manchester and I've slept since then! But I'll FB him and find out!

I thought it quite appropiate that Howard picked upon the phrase 'Birthday Bash', especially following Marc's tongue-in-cheek comment about getting 'in before Charlie'. As Marc was posting on the spoiler thread on Dec 1st, I know what he's alluding to. It seems my dislike of Jon Gaunt was unworthy of posting, an opinion supported apparently by my lowly position on the popularity poll!! So thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday on here, on FB , by email and by text. I seem to have quite a lot of friends for someone who is apparently SUCH a waste of space!!

I’ve enjoyed getting to know so many new people and, almost without exception, you’re a great bunch. However, the exception is starting to get tiresome now and I really can’t be doing with being any sort of pawn for someone working through his insecurities (though the recurring excuse that crops up amongst forumites looking for explanations of a somewhat cocky manner is ‘immaturity’) So, I'm going to bow out for a while. I might come back, I might not (that’ll have the quote button being hit!) I hope to see some of you at Lincoln, but for now, I can’t be bothered with the churlishness. Everyone up for the Eggheads, you have my email address, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers and have a great Christmas and New Year

Sue x
Sue

Many belated happy returns for your and I am sorry I missed it yesterday.

You will be sorely missed by many posters on here and I believe that the forum will be a worse place without your sparkling wit.

Hoping to see you back soon.

Al.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Sue Sanders wrote: I seem to have quite a lot of friends for someone who is apparently SUCH a waste of space!!
I don't think you're a waste of space, despite your barrage of insults towards me ;) .

Stay with us, lurking at least.

Ursa Major.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

In the immortal words of Fletch from porridge "Don't let the bastards grind you down"
Also in the words of KC and his Sunshine band, please don't go, as you will be sorely missed.
I apologise, if any of my coments have upset you.
FTR I think John Gaunt is a twat of the highest order, but it takes allsorts.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hippy Bathday Sue. David O' Doherty is indeed a funny fupping baxtard.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Happy Birthday to Ian Volante, because I quite enjoy his posts. And also to Series 41 semi-finalist Gary Woodward, who was so "thrilled to have found this site" that he lasted 2 months here . . . unless of course he died.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Derek Hazell wrote:Happy Birthday to Ian Volante, because I quite enjoy his posts. And also to Series 41 semi-finalist Gary Woodward, who was so "thrilled to have found this site" that he lasted 2 months here . . . unless of course he died.
Thank you! Glad to entertain someone, sometimes!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Happy birthday, Ian. :)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Happy birthday Sir Prune! I'm not convinced your age is correct, as that would mean you pre-date Mr Turing's fine machine, although not Mr Babbage's excellent contribution. Anyhoos, I enjoy our games, and look forward to many more :D
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

"Many happy returns of th.. , oh sorry, I SAID .. MANY .. HAPPY .. RETURNS .. OF THE DAY.. MR PRUNE !! YES. .. MANY .. HAPPY .. oh, never mind." :|
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

It appears to be true: it says so on the main board, so it must be! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistics
Statistics

Total posts 71305 | Total topics 3056 | Total members 1046 | Our newest member Apterous Prune

Birthdays
Birthdays

Congratulations to: Apterous Prune (96)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something to do with this thread, I feel:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2501&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=120

So, Happy Birthday, indeed, Mr Prune, and I hope you win a game today. :mrgreen:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Hey! There's another one who's older than me. Congrats, Prune.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Happy birthday Jesus. I'm not sure how old he's supposed to be though, because if the date system is based around him, why's he not born on the 1st of January?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Happy birthday Jesus. I'm not sure how old he's supposed to be though, because if the date system is based around him, why's he not born on the 1st of January?
Lordy! Now there's a monster thread-fuck if ever I saw one! :lol:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Happy birthday Jesus.
You are incorrect. Officially, it's NOT Jesus' birthday today. His birthday is unknown.

In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses claim it to be in the Summer, but it seems we'll never know.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:
You are incorrect. Officially, it's NOT Jesus' birthday today. His birthday is unknown.

In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses claim it to be in the Summer, but it seems we'll never know.
If his birthday is known, who officially says it isn't his birthday? Surely that would imply it might be his brithday, and to 'officially' rule out the 25th of December would seem a bit odd.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

If his birthday is known, who officially says it isn't his birthday? Surely that would imply it might be his brithday, and to 'officially' rule out the 25th of December would seem a bit odd.
December 25th was borrowed for Jesus' birthday. It was orignally belived that December 25 is a festival to celebrate Mithras, but that's not true either. Every country seems to have a different day when they celebrate Jesus' birth.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jesus was a literary genre.

:twisted:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:You are incorrect. Officially, it's NOT Jesus' birthday today. His birthday is unknown.

December 25th was borrowed for Jesus' birthday. It was orignally belived that December 25 is a festival to celebrate Mithras, but that's not true either. Every country seems to have a different day when they celebrate Jesus' birth.
Yeah, but you were implying that the 25th definitely isn't his birthday. If it's not known when his birthday is, then surely it could be, we just don't know it is.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

25 December was originally a Pagan holiday known as the Feast of Saturn. In AD 354, Bishop Liberia of Rome, in an attempt to suppress Paganism, declared that this date was the birthday of Christ. It seems it did the trick.

p.s. I haven't checked, but I think Easter was a Pagan festival, too. lol
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Alec Rivers wrote:25 December was originally a Pagan holiday known as the Feast of Saturn. In AD 354, Bishop Liberia of Rome, in an attempt to suppress Paganism, declared that this date was the birthday of Christ. It seems it did the trick.

Bit of a conspiracy theory. My sources say it's much more likely that the new traditions just melded with the old ones - the timing of the festival was never going to change, it just naturally evolved from the old pagan one into the current version - there's probably always been a midwinter festival, it naturally mirrors the fashion of celebration of the time.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

James Robinson wrote:
But, really I couldn't start without mentioning the special birthday girl. Our very own Rachel Riley is 24 on Monday.

So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RACHEL. (Although, I don't think she can read this. (Unless, she's on here under a pseudonym.))
and a Happy Birthday to Rachel from me, too. A wonderful woman. She's an amazing number cruncher, and acts like a seasoned presenter after less than a year.

At the series 61 finals drinkies, although she didn't know me from Adam, she chatted to me about us both being at schools in Essex, not the same one, posed for piccies, and wrote a lovely message on my autograph notebook. A very pleasant personality. :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Happy birthday, Rachel Riley!

Drew Carey's got your mind on your money and your money on your mind!

Just kidding!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Happy Birthday, Dinos!!

Have a great day. Hope you and Emma enjoy your combined birthday and engagement party.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Happy birthday Dinos :D Have a fantastic day xx
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I hope you have a shit birthday Dinos.
Last edited by Jimmy Gough on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Happy birthday, Dinos!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Happy birthday/engagement.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Happy 21st Dinos!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Happy 21st, dude.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Many happy returns to you on your 21st, Dinos. ;) :) :D :mrgreen:
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Hope you have a great day Dinos
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Happy 21st Dinos!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Cheers fellaz (and Lesley) had a fantastically indulgent weekend and the best birthday/engagement party hybrid ever :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:25 December was originally a Pagan holiday known as the Feast of Saturn. In AD 354, Bishop Liberia of Rome, in an attempt to suppress Paganism, declared that this date was the birthday of Christ. It seems it did the trick.

Bit of a conspiracy theory. My sources say it's much more likely that the new traditions just melded with the old ones - the timing of the festival was never going to change, it just naturally evolved from the old pagan one into the current version - there's probably always been a midwinter festival, it naturally mirrors the fashion of celebration of the time.

I admit I've come to this thread a month too late. Haven't really visited much of late but was just checking this thread out after reading Jason's latest Larsenesque post. Yeah, my understanding is that the Christian festival of Easter just supplanted an existing pagan festival, with the word deriving from 'Eastre', the goddess of Spring whose name comes from oestrus meaning the female fertility cycle. Easter is linked to the phases of the moon which is why it is a 'moveable feast', and along with Saturnalia, as Alex said, the pagan feast on 25th December was kept in the diary (but relabelled as Christian) to try and keep peace between them and the natives (though the bastards did fuck with dragons, turning them from symbols of fertility into symbols of evil that must be slayed by saintly Christian, killing in the name of God!) As for when Jesus was born, some say it was (September) 4 BC!! And proof comes in the lyrics of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'; in the words of the disciples to Jesus....

Why'd you choose such a backward time in such a strange land?
If you'd come today you could have reached a whole nation.
Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication.

You can't argue with guru of our time and venerated DC guest Sir Tim Rice now, can you?
:)
Fool's top.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Sue, just so you know, I like you
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jason Larsen wrote:Sue, just so you know, I like you
Wahey!

*makes rude arm gestures*
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ian:

Really!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Sue Sanders wrote:You can't argue with guru of our time and venerated DC guest Sir Tim Rice now, can you?
I heard that people who argue with Tim Rice end up with their feet in concrete boots several fathoms beneath the ocean surface. He doesn't fuck about. That is his way. Or so someone once told me anyway.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

JimBentley wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:You can't argue with guru of our time and venerated DC guest Sir Tim Rice now, can you?
I heard that people who argue with Tim Rice end up with their feet in concrete boots several fathoms beneath the ocean surface. He doesn't fuck about. That is his way. Or so someone once told me anyway.
I've heard he's second in command only to Don 'Fix It' Saville
Fool's top.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Gavin Chipper wrote: So while I'm here, happy birthday to everyone for when your birthday is, every time it occurs!
Thanks very much.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Happy birthday Ralph!
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Thank you Innis!
Appreciated. :D