First impressions of Anne

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

First impressions of Anne

Post by Marc Meakin »

So far so good.
Taking a healthy interest in the contestants
Instant rapport with the other ladies.
Less so the clock starter 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: First impressions of Anne

Post by James Robinson »

Definitely a decent start, very apprehensive of her appointment, but she has shown that she seems to be more aware of where she is in the game than Nick ever was!!😛😛

Definitely liked to take a “back seat” as it were and let everyone else shine. Had to include the wink at the end, didn’t she!!??😉😉

Shame they didn’t bother to give some new opening credits, considering that these ones have been used since Nick started in 2012‼️‼️
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Never seen a show before that has opening credits.
Did you mean opening titles?
Not easy to get things done when most people work from home in a pandemic on a £200 HP laptop. Still...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm Never seen a show before that has opening credits.
Not easy to get things done when most people work from home in a pandemic on a £200 HP laptop. Still...
Glad you sorted out the hook for Anne's Handbag 😊
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

No specific criticisms or anything - we'll have to see how she progresses, but I was a bit surprised by how old and doddery she came across. Much more so than Nick who is basically the same age.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

There's this article on the BBC about her by the way.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah I thought it was a fair start - she was a wee bit stilted but given it's all brand new that's not surprising. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't relax into it very quickly once the gameplay element becomes second nature. I enjoyed the little accountant dig - didn't go too far and the contestant seemed to play along.

"Who spent their maths lesson drawing love hearts on their pencil case? Who thinks their three times table is for putting coffee on?" :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:37 pm Never seen a show before that has opening credits.
You need to watch more dramas!! Plenty of those have opening credits interspersed with opening titles!👍👍👍

That could be the USP for the new ones, featuring Anne, Rachel and Susie.💡💡💡
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

A Countdown version of the Friends intro has just gone through my mind.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Re opening titles: I actually asked the producer about this, but he said they won’t get new titles because they cost quite a bit of money to make. Countdown really are cutting costs now.

Anyway, Anne was solid, and she’ll grow in to the role and improve.
Series 78 Runner-up
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Isn't this an album by The Strokes?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Philip A wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 pm Re opening titles: I actually asked the producer about this, but he said they won’t get new titles because they cost quite a bit of money to make. Countdown really are cutting costs now.
Remind me never to answer one of your questions again. In fact, you don't need to remind me.
Yes they cost £££££ to make, and hello.........there's hardly any advertising, so revenue suffers. Shock horror.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

It's hard to make a judgement on Anne after one episode. My view on her hasn't changed: however good she turns out to be (and she made a solid start), it's a "more of the same" appointment from C4 and the opportunity was there to go in a different direction with Colin Murray or someone younger. The first name that springs to my mind is Mo Gilligan (although I don't like him), but it would have been indicative of a different, relaunch-ish, direction. The fact that C4 opted not to do that raises parallels with mid/late-1980s Doctor Who, as you get the sense C4 would rather get rid of it, but they know full well the horrifically bad PR that will come with cancelling it, so they're better off keeping it. Like some political prisoner, it's too annoying to live yet too popular to kill. That's not to do with viewing figures: it's a programme firmly engrained in the British psyche and British culture, even if people don't watch it regularly. New titles would be nice, and quite frankly I'm sure some YouTuber in After Effects could do it for a fraction of the price of "proper" TV title companies. There is precedent for this: the 2012 titles of Doctor Who were god-awful and in 2014 they commissioned a YouTuber's design concept instead, which I understand saved them a whole load of money.

But on Anne - yeah, mostly solid for day one. I would like it if she dropped her Weakest Link catchphrases ("Let's play... Countdown!" // "Start the clock"), but I didn't dislike her, which is good.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Okay Anne, let's play Blockbusters, and start the microwave.
Sorted.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:48 pmstart the microwave.
Sorted.
My cooking technique explained perfectly.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

This is the first impression of Anne I can find. It's from 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoLKd9WrUA#t=18m55s
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Ok... I just watched.
My expectations were too high. :|

She was alright.
Too nervous to be properly present to the spontaneous happenings around her.
The old & doddery bit that Gevin mentioned, I agree with. There was that false teeth sound on the s's.

I have a sneaking feeling that she will do the opposite of what Colin Murray did. On his first show, he was a breath of fresh air, but the more he stayed on, the more irritating the enthusiastic-child-filled-with-wonder schtick became, as did his overzealous 'reffing' of the game. I expect Anne will relax into it in the next few episodes, and hopefully become as good at hosting as I originally thought she would be...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Philip A wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 pm Re opening titles: I actually asked the producer about this, but he said they won’t get new titles because they cost quite a bit of money to make. Countdown really are cutting costs now.

Anyway, Anne was solid, and she’ll grow in to the role and improve.
So tablets instead of pen and paper wont be coming in soon then?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:43 pm
Remind me never to answer one of your questions again. In fact, you don't need to remind me.
Yes they cost £££££ to make, and hello.........there's hardly any advertising, so revenue suffers. Shock horror.
Mind you if Anne becomes as popular as during her WL days you might get back to the tea-time slot the show deserves
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:44 pm It's hard to make a judgement on Anne after one episode. My view on her hasn't changed: however good she turns out to be (and she made a solid start), it's a "more of the same" appointment from C4 and the opportunity was there to go in a different direction with Colin Murray or someone younger. The first name that springs to my mind is Mo Gilligan (although I don't like him), but it would have been indicative of a different, relaunch-ish, direction. The fact that C4 opted not to do that raises parallels with mid/late-1980s Doctor Who, as you get the sense C4 would rather get rid of it, but they know full well the horrifically bad PR that will come with cancelling it, so they're better off keeping it. Like some political prisoner, it's too annoying to live yet too popular to kill. That's not to do with viewing figures: it's a programme firmly engrained in the British psyche and British culture, even if people don't watch it regularly. New titles would be nice, and quite frankly I'm sure some YouTuber in After Effects could do it for a fraction of the price of "proper" TV title companies. There is precedent for this: the 2012 titles of Doctor Who were god-awful and in 2014 they commissioned a YouTuber's design concept instead, which I understand saved them a whole load of money.

But on Anne - yeah, mostly solid for day one. I would like it if she dropped her Weakest Link catchphrases ("Let's play... Countdown!" // "Start the clock"), but I didn't dislike her, which is good.
I think Countdown will still continue rven if Chabnel 4 drop it.
The sane thing happened with Big Brother.
Channel 5 came in and er well it lasted a few more years anyway
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Sorry, but I thought it was "Bring your granny to work day". A pale imitation of the Anne Robinson I remember, and I always thought that was a bit stilted. Calling an accountant boring is not exactly original, and Shelley from Newcastle clearly wasn't expecting to be told the countryside was beautiful where she lived. Hopefully it will get better, maybe she really was nervous, though you wouldn't have thought presenting Countdown was much of a challenge to someone with her experience.

Good to see that there's still none of that "Your opinions are valuable to us" nonsense from the Countdown Team.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:30 pm This is the first impression of Anne I can find. It's from 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoLKd9WrUA#t=18m55s
It was series 24 and when they got rid of Angus. It must be 2002.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 am
Graeme Cole wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:30 pm This is the first impression of Anne I can find. It's from 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoLKd9WrUA#t=18m55s
They showed a clip on the 2002 episode that was from 1995.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 am
They showed a clip on the 2002 episode that was from 1995.
Oh I see. I've watched it properly now. Paul Merton's impression of Anne was from 1995. As you were.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Her line "Let's play Countdown" seems to be a carryover from her Weakest Link days. And when she asked Shelley where she's from I was reminded of Cilla Black (even though she didn't use the same words).

But she seemed to do a good job of presenting the show on the whole. I struggled to dissociate her voice from her old Queen of Mean persona, but I guess this skill'll come with practice.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Stewart Gordon wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:58 pm Her line "Let's play Countdown" seems to be a carryover from her Weakest Link days.
FAO Countdown Team - this is what I meant earlier...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Stewart Gordon wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:58 pmskill'll
Niiiice
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Anne was even better today: more light-hearted witty banter and a bit more supportive.
Series 78 Runner-up
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I liked the way she interviews the guest!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I thought she seemed better already on Tuesday, and more interaction with both the contestants and DC guest is great.

But I didn't like the 'mensa' thing - felt a bit 'weakest link' and was a non sequitur at that point in the game although didn't descend into nastiness, but didn't fit the flow so seemed a bit 'what point is she making'

Look forward to seeing how it pans out over the next couple of filming blocks. Those who've filmed with her have been positive, so that's great.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I confidently reckon come July/August she’ll get rid of her Weakest Link traits, and she’ll flow better.
Series 78 Runner-up
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Didn't mind the MENSA bit- but should only be done if she knows the contestant can take it (and maybe at an earlier point in the game).
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I think she has done okay so far and is already better than Des O'Connor or Des Lynam. She was very nervous on the first show but interviews the guest very well. I agree with Tom about the MENSA thing.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

I have to be careful what I say obviously, but I did not like the Mensa thing.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I didn’t mind the Mensa anecdote, but I can see where other viewers are coming from. I think the talk will get better over the next few weeks.
Series 78 Runner-up
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm I have to be careful what I say obviously
Oh?

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I felt whilst the shoplifters in Chelmsford thing raised a smile for me, that's just my sadistic humour and Anne's delivery made it sound nasty and spiky.

However, there's no real defending her constant sniping of Steve being an accountant.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:23 pm
Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm I have to be careful what I say obviously
Oh?

Paul thinks if he schmoozes the right people, he'll get a job on the show! :)
So it is prudent to pretend he agrees with their ideas and appointments.
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Yes, the Weakest Link crap is out of place on Countdown.
I am genuinely surprised that she's doing it.
Very embarrassing.

However... I expect that these are teething issues, and that she will be good in the end. There is a place for sarcy banter with the contestants and guests, but at the moment she is not quite hitting the sweet spot.
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I didn't follow the Mensa thing. She asks Steve if he is in Mensa. If he says he isn't, but he could be, then "We'll be the judge of that" is a nice putdown. But when he says he isn't clever enough, it's a compliment, isn't it? Yet she still delivered it as a putdown, almost as if she wasn't listening to him.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Does anybody know what the viewing figures have been over the past three days ? Increased/decreased?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Oh?

So it is prudent to pretend he agrees with their ideas and appointments.
I would love Graham to get a gig for a daily Ask Graham feature.
Countdown Team are you reading this? 😊
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

*Graeme
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

In terms of impressions of Anne:

3rd: Marea Smithson
2nd: Jan Ravens
1st: Debra Stephenson

No, seriously. It’s pretty good.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

It’s really hard to get the ratings. I looked at Channel 4’s top 15 programmes over the course of 14-20 June and Countdown wasn’t in the top 15.

Reports say that Countdown averaged 449k as of February, but it is not clear whether catch-up is accounted.

TBH, not sure they even care about ratings anymore.
Series 78 Runner-up
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

For what its worth her rapport with the contestants is a good thing and it addresses Nick's biggest failing.
It might attract more enganging contestants.
Im sure Mark Deeks dry wit would have been wonderful to watch with Anne in the hot seat.
As long as Channel 4 are not involved with the vetting of contestants as Cranky and loud won't suit Countdown..

I may even apply myself. ( well im not loud at least)
Would love to talk about Wales with her 😊
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Philip A wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:15 am It’s really hard to get the ratings. I looked at Channel 4’s top 15 programmes over the course of 14-20 June and Countdown wasn’t in the top 15.

Reports say that Countdown averaged 449k as of February, but it is not clear whether catch-up is accounted.

TBH, not sure they even care about ratings anymore.
We were in lockdown at the time which probably distorts the figures somewhat.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I hope Channel 4 will refresh its scheduling and show Countdown at least an hour later
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

There's a definite improvement in getting rid of Nick's monologue at the start and hearing a bit more from the contestants instead. It will be very interesting to see how Anne reacts when she gets an elite Apterous-level player - e.g. when someone like Luke (B or JD) comes along I wonder what she'll think of the obscure words no-one has ever heard of that they keep coming up with. I can imagine quite a few sarcastic comments along the way - might be quite entertaining, but it depends how well they take it.

On that note (and linked to another recent thread) it really would be great to get Anne doing the next CoC soon - there could be some great banter with the best contestants of Nick's last 3 years, who never really got much chance to say anything much when Nick was on so we didn't really see their personalities before. I'd love to see what Anne makes of the likes of Elliott, Luke et al - and I'd imagine the past champions might be bit more confident to banter with Anne a bit more having all appeared several times before.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

[/quote]

Oh?

[/quote]

Contrary to spurious opinions given above, it's in all our interests to try and welcome everyone into the CD community and not be bitchy. In addition any negative comments I make about AR only look like sour grapes. I'd love to interview AR some day, so why would I try to limit those possibilities?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 pm
Oh?

(image)
If only it were that simple... (if it were, I would probably be less cynical in my recaps...)
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Okay, I'm going to say it. I like Anne Robinson as host. I think she's going to be better than Nick was.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

[/quote]

spurious

[/quote]

Beautiful! :)
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

When people in the Countdowners group worried that she might be like she was on the Weakest Link, I (I am ashamed to admit) was one of the ones who scoffed at the suggestion. "That was years ago." "It was an act." "She was playing a character." "Countdown is a different show." etc etc etc.

But yeah... it continues.
It is as though Anne knows she is famous for that and is trying to give the people "what they want", when what the people ACTUALLY want is something that is far more famous than Anne Robinson... aka Countdown. She needs to learn that the show is bigger than her.

Did anyone else notice Rachel looking a little off form just after Anne made yet another hi-larious "boring accountant" comment right before a numbers game today? I am getting the impression that Rachel is not loving Nick's replacement, not yet anyway.

Would you say C4 have gotten many complaints about how she reveals the answers to the teasers yet?
Nick used to recap the clue after the break (so anyone who missed it the first time / forgot / tuned in late etc, could get the full impact of the included joke / pun). Anne doesn't bother with that. Another change that is slightly for the worse. Probably been a few complaints by now...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It is her first day on the job guys. She/the team will have had no chance to step back and analyse her performance. If you were to go back and watch the first days of Hewer, Riley - even Whiteley - you'd see marked differences between the trademark style you associate with them and whatever they were doing on day one.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Well said Jono.
This first week was done in one day, so Rome wasn't entirely built.
Anne is progressing fantastically well and we're delighted with it.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

100% agree.
Nick was absolutely terrible at first (remember his first "critical countdown conundrum"? lol)... but in the end was an affable pair of safe hands... and the genuine camaraderie between himself and the girls was palpable.

I expect Anne will find her groove before August.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

When Anne hosted Series 1 of The Weakest Link, she was shy. Her “Queen of Mean” trademark established in Series 2.
Series 78 Runner-up
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:05 pm Nick was absolutely terrible at first (remember his first "critical countdown conundrum"? lol)
Wasn't that Jeff?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Nope. Definitely Nick.
A traumatic moment in my life that I will never forget... :cry: