Next Champion of Champions series

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Next Champion of Champions series

Post by Carl Harrison »

Now that the Series 83 finals have been filmed and will be broadcast later this month, I’m hoping that we may very soon know the potential line-up for the next Champion of Champions series! Recent CoC’s have always been 3 years apart, which would mean that the next one would be due to be broadcast in January 2022, and if so then presumably would be filmed sometime this autumn (maybe fitting around Rachael’s maternity leave).

I know that there have been rumours of something related to a 40th Birthday event maybe later next year (with the 40th anniversary of the show in November 2022), but I’m hoping that we’ll get CoC XVI as well sometime before that, in line with the recent 3-year schedule – it certainly feels like time for one.

There is definitely a really strong group of competitors potentially lying in wait for it, including the 3 highest-scoring Octochamps of all time. Probably a wide open competition as well which would be hard to call – as well as some really strong series winners (e.g. Luke J-D, Dinos and James H) some of the runners-up would also be strong favourites here (e.g. Elliott and Sam) – and there’s also been a few very strong semi-finalists along the way (e.g. Paul N and Leo) and plenty of others besides. And of course Luke B from the current series would also look to be in strong contention too (regardless of what happens in the forthcoming series finals). So it should be a great competition when it happens.

So, does anyone have any idea on whether this is going to be happening soon, and when we might hear anything? The last CoC looks to have been confirmed in this forum in early June 2018 [viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12295] with the draw then announced in the July [viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12868] ahead of filming in October. Three years on, hopefully we’ll hear something about CoC XVI pretty soon...
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Re: Next Champion of Champions series

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Yes, it has been a while.
Fair to say we are all craving CoC.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:24 pm Yes, it has been a while.
We’d have certainly been craving it more if we could watch it live, but that doesn’t look like it’s happening...😭😭😭

Shame that Catsdown still has an audience, but not Countdown...🙄🙄🙄
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Yes, exactly...

Even if the audience struggled to sell out for prelims, you could have had an audience for the finals and COC. Then the director could have shown off the fact there was an audience (like they do with Catsdown).
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

James Robinson wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:35 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:24 pm Yes, it has been a while.
We’d have certainly been craving it more if we could watch it live, but that doesn’t look like it’s happening...😭😭😭
You heard it here first. Robbo is in need of a live CoC show. Any volunteers?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Surely the certs (at least in the invites list) would be:

Mike Daysley
Martin May
Dinos Sfyris
Elliott Mellor
James Haughton
Jamie Wing
Luke Johnson-Davies
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Winner of S83
Runner-up of S83

Leaves room for 6 others:
Tony Manwani
Maggie Barlow
Paul Nixon
Leo Smith
Ian Volante
A semi-finalist from S83

Though as ever, I can't see all of the aforementioned being able to do it, so I reckon that the likes of Fiona Titcombe or Brendan Whitehurst could be involved.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Tom S wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:45 am Surely the certs (at least in the invites list) would be:

Mike Daysley
Martin May
Dinos Sfyris
Elliott Mellor
James Haughton
Jamie Wing
Luke Johnson-Davies
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Winner of S83
Runner-up of S83

Leaves room for 6 others:
Tony Manwani
Maggie Barlow
Paul Nixon
Leo Smith
Ian Volante
A semi-finalist from S83

Though as ever, I can't see all of the aforementioned being able to do it, so I reckon that the likes of Fiona Titcombe or Brendan Whitehurst could be involved.
That looks about the right list to me. I'd probably include Brendan in the initial list rather than Tony (he was a #3 seed rather than #5, with a much higher points score) - albeit that would only leave two from series 79. And I think Fiona is sadly unlikely to qualify as a losing quarter-finalist, as they don't normally get invited (unless perhaps they were a #1 or #2 seed) so I expect any others are more likely to come from the other losing semi-finalists - Morgan Sauer probably next in line after the list above. But it's clearly a very strong list of people and an exciting competition in store - and will be interesting with Anne hosting her first CoC - so hope it's going happen soon!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Carl Harrison wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:18 am That looks about the right list to me. I'd probably include Brendan in the initial list rather than Tony (he was a #3 seed rather than #5, with a much higher points score) - albeit that would only leave two from series 79. And I think Fiona is sadly unlikely to qualify as a losing quarter-finalist, as they don't normally get invited (unless perhaps they were a #1 or #2 seed) so I expect any others are more likely to come from the other losing semi-finalists - Morgan Sauer probably next in line after the list above. But it's clearly a very strong list of people and an exciting competition in store - and will be interesting with Anne hosting her first CoC - so hope it's going happen soon!

I suppose my outside chance would be if Maggie declined, and they didn't want an all male line up! But there have been other female QFs too, and Coral could yet make the semis.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I don't think every series winner and runner up will automatically make it, so I'm not convinced Martin will make the list given how weak series 79 was. All the other winners/runner ups almost certainly. They may well wait another series or two for more contestants leaving not much space for non finalists (the last two COCs were six series), but who knows. Maggie seems like the most likely semi finalist to get a place imo, followed by someone like Leo probably.

And it might not always be the obvious choices for logistical reasons - last COC had both semi finalists from the two most recent series, and with all due respect to those guys*, I don't think anyone's speculative lists would have included all four.

*which is none, in Cowen's case
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:13 pm I don't think every series winner and runner up will automatically make it, so I'm not convinced Martin will make the list given how weak series 79 was. All the other winners/runner ups almost certainly. They may well wait another series or two for more contestants leaving not much space for non finalists (the last two COCs were six series), but who knows. Maggie seems like the most likely semi finalist to get a place imo, followed by someone like Leo probably.

And it might not always be the obvious choices for logistical reasons - last COC had both semi finalists from the two most recent series, and with all due respect to those guys*, I don't think anyone's speculative lists would have included all four.

It would be completely unprecedented not to invite a series winner back, but I think that might just be your phrasing saying that you don't think all runners up will automatically make it but you treated winners and runners up as a unit.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:32 pm
Thomas Carey wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:13 pm I don't think every series winner and runner up will automatically make it, so I'm not convinced Martin will make the list given how weak series 79 was. All the other winners/runner ups almost certainly. They may well wait another series or two for more contestants leaving not much space for non finalists (the last two COCs were six series), but who knows. Maggie seems like the most likely semi finalist to get a place imo, followed by someone like Leo probably.

It would be completely unprecedented not to invite a series winner back, but I think that might just be your phrasing saying that you don't think all runners up will automatically make it but you treated winners and runners up as a unit.
That's what I meant, yeah, thanks. The last two COCs both had a runner up not appear, and I'm pretty sure one of them wasn't invited while the other just declined.
cheers maus
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

I believe all the series winners get an invite, so if anyone one of them doesn’t participate it will be due to them not accepting it for whatever reasons.
Series 78 Runner-up
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Past editions suggest results are paramount in determining the players.
Semi finalists outrank quarterfinalists. Points scored in Octoruns and seedings don't seem to matter as much.
To use a soccer analogy: Having the ability to deliver a stunning penalty is trumped by concrete proof you can actually convert one under pressure.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The 16 invites I would hand out:

S79: Martin May, Mike Daysley
S80: Elliott Mellor, Dinos Sfyris
S81: James Haughton, Jamie Wing, Paul Nixon
S82: Luke Johnson-Davies, Sam Cappleman-Lynes, Leo Smith, Ian Volante
S83: Luke Boynton (regardless of how well the finals go), one other from S83
Wildcards: three from Coral Heath/Maggie Barlow/Fiona Titcombe/Corinna Attwood.

Never have been keen on the treatment of Corinna; she could be a "wildcard" entry, and I think there would potentially be complaints about the gender imbalance unless you can find space for at least three of the four female Octochamps in this time period. If Coral wins Series 83, or loses to Luke in the final, you could have all four. If Luke does not make it to the final, then the S83 runner-up, I'm afraid, I would probably have as first reserve. In my world, Luke gets a spot on that points tally alone.

Paul Nixon's numbers are so close to Jamie Wing's I think it would be unfair to have one and not the other.

Series 82 was 175 prelims long, so ought to have four berths rather than three.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Including Corrina Attwood is a really good idea. Series champions are there as of right, but everyone else has lost at least once - except her.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think I'd include Corrina Attwood personally. The CoC is really about finding the best players over the previous few series.

A lot has been made of how unlucky she was, but you can see it differently. Was she any more unlucky than a better player who came across a really good player in their run? I don't think so. There have been many players who have played better than her but didn't win eight. I wouldn't say she was any more unlucky than them. You could say she was slightly fortunate to win eight in the first place. She was the level she was and although she won eight she failed to qualify for the quarter finals for a legitimate reason - she didn't score highly enough and that wasn't just about luck. The rounds are obviously slightly random, but that nowhere near accounts for it.

In Olympic track events, you have a qualifying time that you have to reach regardless of how many races you win. So even though countries can have three (I think) representatives in each event, you don't get three from every country in the world because there aren't that many runners fast enough. So the San Marino 10,000m champion might be unbeaten this year, but they won't be going to the Olympics if they're not fast enough. And it's the same if your eight-game total isn't high enough to reach the quarter finals.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Agree with what Gavin has said. Do think that Corrina should be invited for a special episode, though...
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Yeah, agree with Gavin too. I'd pick as many of the other women as possible though, and definitely include Fiona.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:36 am I don't think I'd include Corrina Attwood personally. The CoC is really about finding the best players over the previous few series.
Agree with that as well. On that basis, it's clear that all the series winners and runners-up should be invited (particularly as they were all #1 and #2 seeds, at least up to the previous series). Next in line, by far the strongest losing semi-finalists were Paul Nixon and Leo Smith - both #3 seeds with octo-scores in the very high 800's, well above all the others.

Beyond that, there's lots of people with broadly similar records who could justify one of the last 4 places (including Luke B if for some reason he doesn't make the s83 final). Next in line is probably Maggie (and not just because she's a woman - her total score over 10 games as #4 seed was higher than that of Brendan as #3 seed from the same series), and then Ian V and Brendan (the only other two semi-finalists to score over 800 in their octo-run) and maybe a losing semi-finalist from s83.

It would definitely be nice to see more women, but as Maggie is the only woman who has made the semi-finals in the last few years it does make it more difficult - and Fiona and Coral are the only other 2 female octochamp quarter-finalists in the last 3 years. Maybe if one or two people decline an offer to attend that might make it more likely.

But I'm just hoping that this actually happens soon - it's one of the great things about Countdown (unlike any other game show I'm aware of) that consistently throughout the previous 40-ish years they have invited previous great champions back to have another go and provide a great competition for viewers . As a fan of the show I find the CoC series incredibly exciting to watch and love seeing the old faces back again - so really hoping that we'll see another one soon, whoever gets invited to appear.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Carl Harrison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:55 pm
It would definitely be nice to see more women, but as Maggie is the only woman who has made the semi-finals in the last few years it does make it more difficult - and Fiona and Coral are the only other 2 female octochamp quarter-finalists in the last 3 years. Maybe if one or two people decline an offer to attend that might make it more likely.
While it would be nice to more more women in principle, it should still be based on performance. I haven't actually had a detailed look at the players' credentials but obviously Maggie does seem to be the most likely woman. It would obviously be great to see Fiona back too as a stalwart of this community and parkrunner!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

CoC isn't the be all and end all, with regular series being just the preliminaries. If you always have all the runners-up it's a bit like having the last 16 of the FA Cup, giving the eight winners a prize, and then reinstating all the losers and doing the draw again.

CoC has always had the series champions, but after that it's discretionary. The stronger losers, to be sure, but that's not the only reason. Quarter-finalists with strong personalities. I suspect Corrina has virtually no chance of winning the thing, but nor has whoever will be supplanted by putting her in, and whoever they are I'm not sure they would be entitled to be upset by being excluded.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

The last CoC only had 1 woman out of 16 competitors (Ann Dibben) - and she clearly deserved to be there, as a series runner-up.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

David Williams wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm CoC isn't the be all and end all, with regular series being just the preliminaries. If you always have all the runners-up it's a bit like having the last 16 of the FA Cup, giving the eight winners a prize, and then reinstating all the losers and doing the draw again.
I would compare it more to the Champions League. Up to 4 in any country (~series) can qualify, and any of those could actually win it regardless of how they did in 'qualifying' (witness 2021 Champions League final :D ) - but you have to do well enough results-wise in qualifying to get the invitation to take part (witness the downfall of the European Super League :lol: )

At least there won't be any shortage of women on screen when Anne takes over at the end of June anyway.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Carl Harrison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:25 pm
At least there won't be any shortage of women on screen when Anne takes over at the end of June anyway.
Might be a shortage of humans though.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

David Williams wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm CoC isn't the be all and end all, with regular series being just the preliminaries. If you always have all the runners-up it's a bit like having the last 16 of the FA Cup, giving the eight winners a prize, and then reinstating all the losers and doing the draw again.

CoC has always had the series champions, but after that it's discretionary. The stronger losers, to be sure, but that's not the only reason. Quarter-finalists with strong personalities. I suspect Corrina has virtually no chance of winning the thing, but nor has whoever will be supplanted by putting her in, and whoever they are I'm not sure they would be entitled to be upset by being excluded.
As an elite competition, there probably should be defined criteria - series champions/runners up, +n highest octototals or whatever, with places offered on merit based on objective criteria. But with my "I would so love to be part of this" hat on - there are no defined rules, and it's a daytime entertainment show, so the producers should pick the players that they think the audience would enjoy watching/relate to, and perhaps be more representative. Anyway - will work on blagging a +1 place from one of the boys in the green room - don't much fancy my chances of an invitation. :)
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

It's definitely not solely meritocratic. Last time there were definitely people who had performed better than me (other semi-finalists with better octo-totals). I'm pretty sure I was picked solely on the gimmicky basis of always picking 4 large.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Noel Mc wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:56 am It's definitely not solely meritocratic. Last time there were definitely people who had performed better than me (other semi-finalists with better octo-totals). I'm pretty sure I was picked solely on the gimmicky basis of always picking 4 large.
And that your curls sent pulses racing, lest we forget!
Martin_May
Rookie

Post by Martin_May »

I’d certainly be up for it. Granted that there have been stronger players that have not managed to progress to their respective series finals, I’m also of the opinion that those who progress to the final should be offered a spot in the COC.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Getting to the final and being number 1 seed isn't a bad position to be in from that perspective.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

(Non-spoilerific): I'd say the 3 "potential's" for a CoC from this series are the winner, runner-up, and yesterday's defeated contestant.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Tom S wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:14 pm (Non-spoilerific): I'd say the 3 "potential's" for a CoC from this series are the winner, runner-up, and yesterday's defeated contestant.
I would swap out that last one for Tuesday's losing contestant.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Tom S wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:14 pm (Non-spoilerific): I'd say the 3 "potential's" ...
Sigh. Posts like this I would still consider spoilers. If they give away ANY information (subjective or objective) about a recent episode you should consider them spoilers.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

JackHurst wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:51 pm
Tom S wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:14 pm (Non-spoilerific): I'd say the 3 "potential's" ...
Sigh. Posts like this I would still consider spoilers. If they give away ANY information (subjective or objective) about a recent episode you should consider them spoilers.
Ah, it's pretty non-spoilerific though.
At the risk of further ruining your life, I'd like to suggest that the winner, runner-up and at least one of the losing semifinalists from series 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, and 90 be considered for the CoC after that... ;)
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

So clearly you have inside information that Series 88 is going to be shit?
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fred Mumford wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:12 pm So clearly you have inside information that Series 88 is going to be shit?
haha no, the same people who were in charge of calculating the S83 seedings will be in charge of numbering the series... and 88 will be skipped over, possibly because "two fat ladies" is sizeist and sexist, but we'll never know for sure!
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

The more I see of Anne presenting Countdown, the more I think it would be great to see her doing a Champion of Champions series very soon. The "banter" with contestants may not initially be to everyone's taste, and I can see that some new contestants might have found it a bit intimidating (particularly having not seen AR on screen doing Countdown before filming), though I think it's improving a lot as she settles in. But with a set of 16 familiar contestants who've all had 10+ appearances in the past, I'm sure everyone would feel quite comfortable in having a bit of discussion with her during the games - and it would be really great to hear a bit more from all these recent past finalists who never got a chance to say very much when they were originally on the show with Nick, and see a bit more of their personalities.

I'd also love to hear what Anne has to say when she seems some top quality closely fought games, and await with interest her sarcasm at the word knowledge of all these Apterites coming out with multiple words she's never heard of :)

Although with Rachael seemingly missing the series 84 finals it might presumably mean she could also miss a CoC if that was to be broadcast in January 2022 as expected, although I'm sure any replacement (Anne-Marie Imafidon?) will be perfectly capable of doing a CoC if they've just done a series finals before it.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

They would struggle to find anyone (including the LMFAO lady) who is at the level of Rachel. She is insanely good at the numbers. Whoever sits in may be well advised to avail of the aid of a solver, or some team members in their earpiece.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I think you'll be surprised. I would even go so far as to say many Apterites are capable of solving the numbers as well as Rachel.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:14 am They would struggle to find anyone (including the LMFAO lady) who is at the level of Rachel. She is insanely good at the numbers. Whoever sits in may be well advised to avail of the aid of a solver, or some team members in their earpiece.
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:17 am I think you'll be surprised. I would even go so far as to say many Apterites are capable of solving the numbers as well as Rachel.
It would certainly be a bit of a coincidence if Rachel did happen to be better than anything Apterous had to offer. My understanding is that the two main reasons she got the job were:

1. She was a maths graduate from an "Oxbridge" university (shows she has some number skills, but basically elitism)

and

2. She was young, attractive and female (sexism, ageism, general shallowness)

Obviously there may have been some testing of applicants' arithmetical skills, but I'm confident that it's not the case that they'd been expected to spent months training on the specifics of solving Countdown numbers games. So I think it was probably just largely expected that the winning applicant would go away after their audition and become good at the numbers games. In any case, after applying 1 and 2, she might have been the only applicant left! Corby certainly didn't stand a chance.

So yes, one person being picked based on the above versus hundreds of geeks on Apterous - what are the chances that the winning applicant is the best at numbers of all these? I'd say probably not that high. As it happens, she is pretty good anyway but as Rhys says, lots of Apterites are too.

It's a bit like when Williams signed Damon Hill to drive the best car in F1 on very little evidence that he was a top driver. He then went on to become world champion. Which is more likely:

1. By sheer coincidence they just happened to pick the best driver for the job

2. The car did most of the heavy lifting
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Late August now and still no word about whether a Champion of Champions series will be filming in the autumn / broadcasting in January. I'm guessing plans would be being put into place by now if so, so I'm wondering if this is going to be happening. @CountdownTeam, are you able to give any indication of future CoC plans?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Not happening.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Countdown Team wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm Not happening.
Ooh that’s a shame. Not happening in January, or not ever happening? Maybe next year instead or combined with a 40BC event, or is this completely off the table for now? Would be a real shame if CoC isn’t going to return again.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Personally, I don't want a 40BC event on the same scale of 30BC to happen, as it's far too soon for another Champion of Champion of Champions. We had one in Series 33 and Series 67/68, so I would suggest that Series 100 would be the ideal time to have another one, "best over 100 series of Countdown" marketing, etc.

Next regular COC, on the other hand, I don't mind that moving to summer rather than January. Get the kids watching!
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Which is clearly a precursor to:
Big announcement.
Guess what kids? It's been 40 years... etc etc. :mrgreen:

The ol' bad cop / good cop routine.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Carl Harrison wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm
Ooh that’s a shame. Not happening in January, or not ever happening? Maybe next year instead or combined with a 40BC event, or is this completely off the table for now? Would be a real shame if CoC isn’t going to return again.
Not happening in January.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Countdown Team wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 pm
Not happening in January.
Ah well that’s better news, thanks 😀. To be fair, it looks like Rachel will be away for the January episodes, so maybe it’s better to wait until some time after she’s back.

Can you give a clue as to the most likely broadcast date for next CoC then? July 2022-ish after series 85 (so covering 6 series as usual)?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

There has been a summer Championship of Champions before. The 12th CoC ran May to June 2006, after Series 54 was extended.
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Serious question:

Is Countdown not going to have a Champion of Champions anymore?
Series 78 Runner-up
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Philip A wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 pm Serious question:

Been an omnipresent question since about three CoCs ago tbh. No reason why they won't keep going with them still - I know the transition of presenters as well as COVID have used up a lot of resources recently.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:05 pm

Been an omnipresent question since about three CoCs ago tbh. No reason why they won't keep going with them still - I know the transition of presenters as well as COVID have used up a lot of resources recently.
Don't see why it would be a question of resource - it's still just two people each day.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Ian Volante wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:01 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:05 pm

Don't see why it would be a question of resource - it's still just two people each day.
Agreed, I wouldn't have thought it would be much more difficult to organise than a normal set of series finals. It's just 15 episodes filmed in a single 3-day block, featuring 16 competitors (the same number as usual for that many shows).

There doesn't seem to be any particular compelling reason why another one can't be scheduled very soon, and it definitely feels overdue now we've had 6 top quality series since the last CoC, which has been the usual interval in recent times.

I'm sure the show producers do appreciate just how much CoC's are really looked forward to and enjoyed by all fans of the show, much more than regular episodes - note that when the show was off air for 3 months in 2020 it was old CoC series they chose to repeat.

So let's hope that we do finally get a new CoC later in the year - but either way it really would be good to get an update or some kind of indication of what the future plans for this are.
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

I hope it comes either after this series or a few years down the line 😅 - not taking for granted that I would get in (series finals not filmed yet!), but if I did, I'd rather have a few more years to practise!
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

I see from Facebook that invites to the next one have started going out (specifically, Steve Hyde, semi finalist last series has got one). Who else has been invited, beyond presumably the last batch of finalists?
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

This is gonna be the best CoC I think!

We’ll have to wait and see what really happens. Some may turn down invitations or not be available to record. But I have a rough idea who will be playing.
Series 78 Runner-up
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Great that you have a 'rough idea' - as i've currently got no idea.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Would it be recorded this Nov/Dec and then broadcast in Jan 2023? Seems like a pretty rapid turnover. Colin is a great guy to host a CoC - embraces the spirit of the competition well when the players are both heavyweights.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:44 pm Would it be recorded this Nov/Dec and then broadcast in Jan 2023? Seems like a pretty rapid turnover. Colin is a great guy to host a CoC - embraces the spirit of the competition well when the players are both heavyweights.
7-9 November I’m told.
Series 78 Runner-up
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Exciting times!
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Nov 7 - 9, broadcast from Jan 2nd to Jan 20, 2023 as things stand.
Obvs changeable given todays sad news.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Countdown Team wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm Nov 7 - 9, broadcast from Jan 2nd to Jan 20, 2023 as things stand.
Obvs changeable given todays sad news.
Thanks for letting us know.
Series 78 Runner-up