ROBINSON TO HOST COUNTDOWN!!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: ROBINSON TO HOST COUNTDOWN!!

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JackHurst wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:42 pm I was in the audience for that recording (it was the 1000th show and they invited past contestants back) and I have no recollection of Anne making the remark, although even if she did I fail to see how referring to a black person as black is racist. If anything, what she allegedly said was fat-shaming, not racism. However, if Vanessa had responded by saying "that's racist, you can't use that" (as she claims she did) I'm pretty sure that would have stuck in my mind, and it hasn't, so draw your own conclusions.
Do you remember everything that was said during recordings? Probably not, because nobody can remember everything from being in the audience of a gameshow 15 odd years ago. The fact that you are dismissing the comments now (in 2020!!) is probably indicative that back then you wouldn't have viewed such a comment as remarkable or noteworthy, providing quite a reasonable explanation of why you don't remember it. The article does cite another contestant who backs up her claims. What would be their motive to lie?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't dismissing the suggestion that Anne made the comment - merely saying that I don't remember it and therefore can't verify it one way or the other. As you say, it probably wouldn't have seemed particularly remarkable. What I feel more certain I *would* have remembered is Feltz saying "that's racist, you can't use that" and therefore I'm doubting she said it at the time. She may well have said it after the recording.

I accept your point from your second reply that Vanessa's boyfriend's skin colour is irrelevant to the comment Anne was making and therefore mentioning it at all could be seen as racist.