Who is the greatest series champion of the 2010’s

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Poll ended at Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:18 pm

62 Oliver Garner
No votes
63 Jack Hurst
10%
64 Edward McCullagh
No votes
65 Graeme Cole
5%
66 Jack Worsley
10%
67 Paul James
5%
68 Giles Hutchings
No votes
69 Callum Todd
20%
70 Mark Murray
5%
71 Dan McColm
5%
72 Tom Cappleman
5%
73 Jonathan Wynn
5%
74 Paul Erdunast
5%
75 Martin Hurst
No votes
76 Stephen Read
No votes
77 Tom Chafer-Cook
No votes
78 Zarte Siempre
15%
79 Mike Daysley
No votes
80 Dinos Sfyris
10%
81 James Haughton
No votes

Total votes: 20

Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Who is the greatest series champion of the 2010’s?????
Last edited by Martin Peters on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Who is the greatest series champion of the 2010’s

Post by Johnny Canuck »

At Countdown, or morally and ethically?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:46 am At Countdown, or morally and ethically?
Oliver Garner has a sub-16 minute parkrun. That's got to be taken into consideration.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:46 am At Countdown, or morally and ethically?
Oliver Garner has a sub-16 minute parkrun. That's got to be taken into consideration.
The best at Countdown.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

I’ve voted for Jack Worsley he’s AMAZING
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Or just purely in terms of size. T-Cap and Dinos are both pretty tall but I'm not sure which is taller so am going to abstain from voting until I've had chance to measure all the nominees.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:54 am
Or just purely in terms of size. T-Cap and Dinos are both pretty tall but I'm not sure which is taller so am going to abstain from voting until I've had chance to measure all the nominees.
I kindly ask you if you can vote by Countdown skills and NOT height, weight, fitness, sexuality etc.
Maureen Peters

Post by Maureen Peters »

I’ve voted for Paul James.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Maureen Peters wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am I’ve voted for Paul James.
On what grounds?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Peters wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm I’ve voted for Jack Worsley he’s AMAZING
Taking this thread seriously for a minute - you could only really say Jack Worsley if you counted non-televised Countdown (CO-events and Apterous). I don't think that one would probably ordinarily do this. Looking at this list, I'd probably say Zarte for the the way he won both his series and his CoC. Also Jack Hurst won his series and made the final of the 30th Birthday Championship without taking part in a CoC. The 30th BC probably ranks higher than a CoC so if he'd won I'd probably put him top. You might say that this would be unfair on Zarte, but then if there's another championship like that or the supremes then he'd have a chance to add to his achievements.

If you look purely at the series they won, Zarte would probably take this anyway.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:06 pm
Maureen Peters wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am I’ve voted for Paul James.
On what grounds?
Maureen I’m annoyed with you for voting for Paul, he wasn’t the greatest by any stretch of the imagination.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Martin Peters wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm I’ve voted for Jack Worsley he’s AMAZING
Taking this thread seriously for a minute - you could only really say Jack Worsley if you counted non-televised Countdown (CO-events and Apterous). I don't think that one would probably ordinarily do this. Looking at this list, I'd probably say Zarte for the the way he won both his series and his CoC. Also Jack Hurst won his series and made the final of the 30th Birthday Championship without taking part in a CoC. The 30th BC probably ranks higher than a CoC so if he'd won I'd probably put him top. You might say that this would be unfair on Zarte, but then if there's another championship like that or the supremes then he'd have a chance to add to his achievements.

If you look purely at the series they won, Zarte would probably take this anyway.
I think he is the best Countdowner in general out of the lot. I agree if you count TV only, it has to be Zarte.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Yeah, taking this thread seriously: I guess it depends on what your criteria are.

If it's just which of these people is/has been the best at countdown, and the fact they won a series in the past decade is just a circumstantial entry requirement into this vote, then it's obviously Jack W. No debate needed here I think.

If it's who has been the best on TV, all things considered, then see Gavin's above post.

If it's whose series win was the greatest achievement at the time, all variables considered, then I'd say a few are in with a shout. I'd narrow it down Graeme, myself, Zarte, and Dinos.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:51 pm If it's whose series win was the greatest achievement at the time, all variables considered, then I'd say a few are in with a shout. I'd narrow it down Graeme, myself, Zarte, and Dinos.
I wouldn't say Graeme - really close final and everything but his objective standard wasn't that high compared to some others. Also Dinos - although he beat Eliott, I think Elliott wasn't at his best in the final. Dinos's overall standard probably wasn't as high as some othrs. I agree with Zarte as already mentioned, and your series was according to most people the highest standard ever, and you did very well to beat the top three seeds to win that. But then you can argue that although it was a great underdog story, do three games make for the best series performance? Should the heat run be taken into account? I also think Ed's standard in his series as well as Jack Hurst and Dan McColm were very high.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

100% Callum Todd. He fucked the system by cheating on Apterous to make his opponents think he was way better than he was, intidimidating them into underperforming just enough so that he could narrowly beat them as his true (still quite good) self.

Shove that up your apto arses
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

JackHurst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:21 am 100% Callum Todd. He fucked the system by cheating on Apterous to make his opponents think he was way better than he was, intidimidating them into underperforming just enough so that he could narrowly beat them as his true (still quite good) self.

How is he ?. He didn’t cheat.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

JackHurst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:21 am 100% Callum Todd. He fucked the system by cheating on Apterous to make his opponents think he was way better than he was, intidimidating them into underperforming just enough so that he could narrowly beat them as his true (still quite good) self.

This is going straight on the back cover of my upcoming tell-all autobiography, titled 'If I Did It: Confessions of a Cheater'.
Martin Peters wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 am How is he ?. He didn’t cheat.
u sure?
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

There will be a full review of Callum’s latest book in an upcoming episode of Focal Talk, with our special guest Oprah Winfrey
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Paul Anderson wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am There will be a full review of Callum’s latest book in an upcoming episode of Focal Talk, with our special guest Oprah Winfrey
Lol. Who is in Episode 4 (seriously) Paul?
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Callum Todd wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:35 am

This is going straight on the back cover of my upcoming tell-all autobiography, titled 'If I Did It: Confessions of a Cheater'.
u sure?
Did you cheat ?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Callum Todd wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:35 ammy upcoming tell-all autobiography, titled 'If I Did It: Confessions of a Cheater'.
If you did it? Are you saying... it wasn't you?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:28 pm
Callum Todd wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:35 ammy upcoming tell-all autobiography, titled 'If I Did It: Confessions of a Cheater'.
If you did it? Are you saying... it wasn't you?
JENNIFER STEADMAN, What is that for ?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

u sure?
Did you cheat during that period?
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:31 pm

u sure?
I’m not sure ask Callum
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:31 pm

u sure?
Please ask Callum rather than directly asking me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I apologise to Harvey Freeman for directing my question at him.

Anyway according to what Charlie said in the Glory Roll discussion and the dates of his series, the answer is "yes".
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Blimey Callum, just read that thread. :( Still, getting called a "narcissistic (and potentially dangerous) psychopath" by Richard Brittain is quite some achievement!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

The answer is indeed yes, unfortunately. Although in future Gavin may I request you just ask me directly rather than using the ghost of Elvis Presley as an intermediary.

That thread certainly is quite something. For me it's too strong a point of shame to take too much else away from it, but I'm glad it's provided amusement to some :)
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Deleted
Last edited by Martin Peters on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I don't think that's an accurate use of the word "need" there and I am not going to e-mail you about it.

For anyone reading this to whom my regrettable history is news: I won't discuss it at length or make any fresh revelations about a 6 year old story (you'll have to wait until my book release for that!) but I do feel I have a responsibility not to hide from scrutiny of my history and past actions, so you can learn everything you "need" to know (or at least as much as anyone else has learned publicly) by browsing:

1) My Apterous Glory Roll comments thread, as linked above.
2) This Apterous ticket
3) Look at my Apterous game archive from late 2013 to early 2014.

This isn't my favourite topic and I don't get any weird voyeuristic pleasure from the idea that people are viewing these damning records of my behaviour, but my biggest enduring guilt from that sorry period of my history is that many of the newcomers to the community who have got to know me aren't aware of the scope of what I did. So, as I said before, I feel I have a responsibility not to hide away from scrutiny on this matter. Plus I can't feel too sorry for myself if this topic upsets me, as I'm not the victim here.

If none of the above answers your questions, I don't think I can help you any more, whatever your "need" may be.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:00 pm I don't think that's an accurate use of the word "need" there and I am not going to e-mail you about it.

For anyone reading this to whom my regrettable history is news: I won't discuss it at length or make any fresh revelations about a 6 year old story (you'll have to wait until my book release for that!) but I do feel I have a responsibility not to hide from scrutiny of my history and past actions, so you can learn everything you "need" to know (or at least as much as anyone else has learned publicly) by browsing:

2) This Apterous ticket

This isn't my favourite topic and I don't get any weird voyeuristic pleasure from the idea that people are viewing these damning records of my behaviour, but my biggest enduring guilt from that sorry period of my history is that many of the newcomers to the community who have got to know me aren't aware of the scope of what I did. So, as I said before, I feel I have a responsibility not to hide away from scrutiny on this matter. Plus I can't feel too sorry for myself if this topic upsets me, as I'm not the victim here.

If none of the above answers your questions, I don't think I can help you any more, whatever your "need" may be.
How did you cheat ?. U won S69 without cheating (hopefully) but you still cheated. Are you really doing a book ?.
I have emailed you about something else why haven’t you been replying?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Callum Todd wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:00 pm I don't think that's an accurate use of the word "need" there and I am not going to e-mail you about it.

2) This Apterous ticket

Whilst I was surprised and a bit shocked to read about this, fortunately most of us aren't in a position where new friends are likely to find out about our past life misdemeanours unless we tell them in a sanitized manner of our own choosing, so you're a little unlucky that yours is on public record. But this was all a long time ago, and you were little more than a kid at the time. I for one take people as I find them, and not for what they may or may not have done or said years in the past, and none of this has changed the good opinion I have of you.

To put it into perspective, it's an online game. If you'd served 6 months for robbery, that would have been wiped from the records long ago!
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 pm

2) This Apterous ticket

Whilst I was surprised and a bit shocked to read about this, fortunately most of us aren't in a position where new friends are likely to find out about our past life misdemeanours unless we tell them in a sanitized manner of our own choosing, so you're a little unlucky that yours is on public record. But this was all a long time ago, and you were little more than a kid at the time. I for one take people as I find them, and not for what they may or may not have done or said years in the past, and none of this has changed the good opinion I have of you.

To put it into perspective, it's an online game. If you'd served 6 months for robbery, that would have been wiped from the records long ago!
He’s a cheating arse......(lol)....I didn’t know you did that I’m not on alto YET so I can’t check.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Martin Peters wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm He’s a cheating arse......(lol)....I didn’t know you did that I’m not on alto YET so I can’t check.
Was, not is.

You never deceived anyone Martin, or behaved in a way you're not proud of? You must be pretty unique if that's the case.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Re: Who is the greatest series champion of the 2010

Post by Martin Peters »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 pm
Martin Peters wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm He’s a cheating arse......(lol)....I didn’t know you did that I’m not on apto YET so I can’t check.
Was, not is.

You never deceived anyone Martin, or behaved in a way you're not proud of? You must be pretty unique if that's the case.
Yes many times, so crap me.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Back on topic, I've voted for Jonathan Wynn, not after any great statistical analysis, but because, at the end of the day, this is largely a popularity contest, he didn't have any votes, and I like him :) No argument against him being a top player too!
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Fiona T wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm Back on topic, I've voted for Jonathan Wynn, not after any great statistical analysis, but because, at the end of the day, this is largely a popularity contest, he didn't have any votes, and I like him :) No argument against him being a top player too!
Fiona Titcombe Good on you? He is a loverly man I was talking to him once at the recording, he deserves it. I think JachW needs to win be in my opinion is the greatest.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ed da best
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I always vote for Dinos, whatever the poll is :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

James Haughton, as he's the only one that's still champ
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Indeed :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Absolute scenes going on here. Callum is a top lad and a great Countdown player, don't worry about stuff that happened 6 years ago when he was a nipper.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Deleted.