Focal Talk podcast Episode 3 out now (featuring Innis Carson)

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Focal Talk podcast Episode 3 out now (featuring Innis Carson)

Post by Callum Todd »

The full, uncut version of Episode 3 of the Focal Talk podcast (hosted by Paul Anderson and myself) is out now and available to listen to here.

An abridged version will follow shortly (haha, shortly, get it?)

In this episode we speak about the state of Countdown today, and we have a good long chat with Countdown legend Innis Carson about his life in and around the game.

If you would like to download an episode of our podcast to listen to offline, you may do so from this link (with thanks to Steve H for letting us know about this service).

As always, we are very open to feedback of all kinds. Either comment below or send us an e-mail at focaltalkpodcast@gmail.com. You may notice that on this episode we have acted on some previous feedback, by including timestamped discussion points in the episode description text, and shortening the intro music slightly.

We hope you enjoy listening!
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Re: Focal Talk podcast Episode 3 out now (featuring Innis Carson)

Post by Martin Peters »

Have you got my emails Callum?
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Unless they’re regarding feedback for the episode, please delete your inappropriate post
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Yes. Really good. Keep it up. Hope to hear more. Will look out for it. Not keen on the name though. Took me ages to work it out.

My suggestions would be Countdown Contributes or Countdown Conversation - inclusive feel, has the word countdown in it (important) and sounds like countdown conundrum until past halfway 😂
There is a regular podcast about the 10,000-and-counting-episode-old Coronation Street which is a couple of hours long called Conversation Street.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Thanks Zubair! Glad you're enjoying them. It makes it all worthwhile to hear that, so cheers!
Re the name, maybe you'll have more success than I. ;-)
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Re: Focal Talk podcast Episode 3 out now (featuring Innis Carso

Post by Martin Peters »

I enjoyed this, however I think the show needs renaming, maybe “The git chat” might be a good name (lol), in all seriousness I think “The Downcast” would work
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Abridged version is now available from the podcast site.

It'll be on the player fm site once that feed updates.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I really enjoyed this, as with the others. And I enjoyed the shorter length!

The sweepstake got mentioned. Here is the Apterous ticket in case you haven't all already found it.

Also, I think Susie getting the words got mentioned. But I thought it was an "open secret" that she doesn't get them all herself but gets help from the production team (probably mainly Damian).

Also, about the discussion of the name - it doesn't really bother me, but if you want it to be obvious what it's about from the name, I don't really think "Downcast" would do that job either. Something like "Counting Down" might, if that hasn't already been suggested. Or "Unofficial Countdown Podcast". Maybe "Unofficial Podcast about Countdown, the Channel 4 game show" if you want to make doubly sure.

You've made some really good guest choices so far, so I hope you don't ruin it with episode 5...