Humorous incident on DCeDL

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Humorous incident on DCeDL

Post by Martin Gardner »

In France, a player declared 2 when he didn't type his word fast enough into the computer. A bit harsh that. In France only the person with the longest word gets to declare, so I don't know what the word was.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Dent
Devotee

Re: Humorous incident on DCeDL

Post by Ian Dent »

I often declare 2.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I often declare that I am aged 2 :)
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

How about "j'ai une lettre"?

The below is a 9min extract from a late night talk show on France 2 called "On n'est pas couché", presented here by Laurent Ruquier (left) and Jean-Luc Lemoine (doing the talking). The segment is an open mic session inviting questions from the public on how different programs are made.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LmS8z-KPGVM

A question for Chiffres & Lettres comes in at 5'10 with an elderly gentleman and his strong southern accent. He's asking for some elaboration on the revamp from autumn 2005. It's not taken seriously.

The presenters explain how a hardcore DJ was hired to remix the music used in the rounds to give it a proper techno effect. The lady player cannot concentrate in her game and therefore ends up declaring just one.

--
In France only the person with the longest word gets to declare, so I don't know what the word was.
Le?

Longer of two, longest of three ;)

Jeff
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I often declare that I am aged 2 :)
But only to Corby?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jeff Clayton wrote:The presenters explain how a hardcore DJ was hired to remix the music used in the rounds to give it a proper techno effect. The lady player cannot concentrate in her game and therefore ends up declaring just one.
Gyles Brandreth: I got FRANC for 5 and I wasn't even trying.
Last edited by Phil Reynolds on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

It seems quite common for new contestants to have difficulty with the interface, particularly for the numbers game. Does nobody bother to explain it to them?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Type it? I thought they wrote it!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jason Larsen wrote:Type it? I thought they wrote it!
They're a bit more high tech in France, Jason!
I prefer the low tech Countdown method.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I figured that!

I don't know why, though.

In the upcoming series of British Countdown though, the new set looks a lot more futuristic. Although the only thing different about the new set than the old set that hasn't been mentioned already is the "revolver" that Rachel mentioned in her interview on ITV's morning show.

Other than that, it's still the same!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I figured that!

I don't know why, though.

In the upcoming series of British Countdown though, the new set looks a lot more futuristic. Although the only thing different about the new set than the old set that hasn't been mentioned already is the "revolver" that Rachel mentioned in her interview on ITV's morning show.

Other than that, it's still the same!
Not strictly true. The contestants sit further away from DC or Jeff and so when their words/solutions are the same they have to pass their piece of paper to each other to check.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, that's not a really big change in the upcoming Countdown set!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:So, that's not a really big change in the upcoming Countdown set!
I think it's a big change because for years you've had to pass your paper to 'an official' as it were. A change to the set causing contestant rules to change has to be a big change in my eyes.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Personally, I think it's a bit more fair if they do it the old way because who knows if another contestant's opponent thinks their own word is acceptable?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:Personally, I think it's a bit more fair if they do it the old way because who knows if another contestant's opponent thinks their own word is acceptable?
The passing of a contestant's paper to someone else in the studio is not done to judge whether a word is acceptable - it is only done for confirmation when the second player declares the same word as the first. In any case, I'm sure the rules allow for DC to arbitrate if there is any disagreement between the players about what is on the paper.

The situation might be slightly more complex in the numbers rounds, when the second player to declare has a solution that is essentially similar, though not identical, to the first, and the first player has to make a judgment about whether his opponent's working is sufficiently like his own to not need calling out. But again, the rules presumably allow for arbitration in the event of a dispute.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I do wonder how many instances there'll be of players not being sure their opponent does actually have what they say they have, but don't want to cause a fuss by questioning it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:I do wonder how many instances there'll be of players not being sure their opponent does actually have what they say they have, but don't want to cause a fuss by questioning it.
Good point. But then I regularly used to wonder that when watching Des O supposedly "confirming" that a numbers solution was correct.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you!

I didn't know that, Phil!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just to get back to DCeDL... I did notice the standard was a lot lower this time when I was there, including a player offering a 4 when the maximum was an 8. Perhaps on my last trip to France, I just happened to run into some really good players, and the overall standard is not as high as that. I'm not too far away from my year in France (which is really 7 months, I might add) so by the end of that year, I should know what I'm potientially up against.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

A slight improvement could have been a moving background ala University Challenge, letters, numbers, words and maths problems flying around, but I think it is a good try !
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I'm not too far away from my year in France (which is really 7 months, I might add) so by the end of that year, I should know what I'm potientially up against.

I did ten months, three years ago, and still can't crack it!

Don't let that put you off though. Enjoy being able to watch the program up to six nights a week - and you might like to get involved with the club circuit aswell.

Whereabouts in France are you going to?

Jeff
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Tours is the most likely place. I might join a club, yes. One of the reasons I picked Tours is that they have a big Scrabble tournament (300 people) during the summer, and I've already been to the venue where is takes place.