Easy numbers rounds

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Easy numbers rounds

Post by Peter Thomas »

I was just wondering if anyone had offered a complicated solution for an easy numbers round as a joke and then gone and got it wrong?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: Easy numbers rounds

Post by Graeme Cole »

I'm not aware of a contestant doing it, but from memory I think Richard Whiteley did on one occasion. He said "I was trying to do it a clever way..." or something like that.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Me at the co:Ann2 final. Was like 7 behind going into the last numbers, Jen 6 smalls me but it's easy, we end round early and I thunderously cock up the solution by trying something dumb, Jen wins the event and goes on to solve hemipenis
cheers maus
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I didn't make an easy solution more complicated but I messed up a numbers game by writing it down. I find it easier to do it my head and was going to just declare it not written down but then thought since I'm on telly I should write it down but ended up using a number twice.

If I remember correctly I had done 4-3 in my head but wrote down 3-2 and then used the 2 again. Rachel didn't spot it though so I was awarded the points and it was only a bit later someone in the gallery spotted it and we had to reshoot me getting it wrong.