(SPOILERS) The Countdown Scoring System.

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom S
Kiloposter

(SPOILERS) The Countdown Scoring System.

Post by Tom S »

Hi all, this has probably been mentioned before, but today we saw Dougie Mackay eliminated in an unfortunate fashion, giving him a new record of the highest 7-time winner score. Although it is very likely we will be seeing him in the finals, it would not be impossible to see him not make it given that there is still time left for new players to eliminate him. If it was down to the old seeding system, Dougie would still be #4, but Philip A would be in #3 and Phil Davies would be #5 which raises some interesting discussion. Opinions and views would be interesting and appreciated.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: (SPOILERS) The Countdown Scoring System.

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If number of points were used, I think the finals stages would be too predictable. "Twists" like that generated by the current system are what make Countdown finals stages all the more exciting, IMO.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm If number of points were used, I think the finals stages would be too predictable. "Twists" like that generated by the current system are what make Countdown finals stages all the more exciting, IMO.
I suppose if it did come down to the unlikely situation that only one makes it through- would the person with more wins but less points be more deserving, or the person with fewer points but a better player overall....
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm If number of points were used, I think the finals stages would be too predictable. "Twists" like that generated by the current system are what make Countdown finals stages all the more exciting, IMO.
I don't think it would make that much difference. If someone loses after five games, they're likely to have fewer points than an octochamp regardless of average. If you went by average score you might get a better predictor of skill (but not a valid seeding metric), but total points is neither one thing nor the other. In any case, most players who reach the knockouts these days are octochamps, so how you sort the others is going to be of little consequence in most series. Players with a scoring record like Philip Aston who fail to become an octochamp are very rare indeed. Basically just him and Zarte in his previous incarnation. And even a Dougie situation is rare - indeed he is the highest scoring seven-time winner. And the four players in positions 2 to 5 are separated by just 3 points, so the actual order in terms of points is basically just chance.

But anyway, wins take precedence because it's about winning. Points are clearly only secondary to this.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

It can't be points, for the simple reason that not all games are even. You see plenty of players who get a run of easy 9s, or conversely who get none at all.

I would prefer to see it be wins, and then average maxes, or average % of score available, personally. These are still volatile, as some people can get "harder" maxes, but would still be preferable IMO.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

yeah but that's annoying to calculate, wins then points is much easier for your average viewer to understand

and imo there's not really any point caring about scoring due to different selections at this sort of stage (random fluctuations when someone gets a bunch of easy nines etc) cause the opponents you get are so much more random (and you can't measure that really) - you could easily have (and in practice do get quite a lot) that many of the top 8 'best' players don't make the finals cause they run into each other in the heats, which, if you're going for fairness, is a lot more 'unfair' than the number 3 seed being 'better' (whatever that means) than the number 1 but having no nines available or whatever
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Conclusion: It's impossible to fully account for the different difficulties different players face, and the current system is probably still the best available.

Stuff like maxes aren't even officially measured anyway.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 am Stuff like maxes aren't even officially measured anyway.
And to do so you'd need an absolutely definitive list of which words are valid, with a ruling on every edge case.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 am Stuff like maxes aren't even officially measured anyway.
And to do so you'd need an absolutely definitive list of which words are valid, with a ruling on every edge case.
Good point. Actually I take back all the shit I said, average maxes is the way forward.
cheers maus
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

:lol:
Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:28 am
Thomas Cappleman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am
Good point. Actually I take back all the shit I said, average maxes is the way forward.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...