Countdown Variations

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Countdown Variations

Post by Ben Hunter »

Texas Hold'em Goatdown:

Several people occupy a table, each is handed three letters that they keep hidden from the other players. Bets are placed. Then four letters are laid out on the table. Bets are placed again. Then the eighth and ninth letters are laid out, with betting taking place after each. Those still in the pot then declare their words. The person with the longest word wins.

Cheatdown:

This game is for two or more players. Countdown as usual, but once the clock runs out, the letters are hidden and players place a bet when they declare their word length. There are two rounds of betting, unless the bet is raised in which case the betting continues indefinitely. Is the guy who declared a nine bluffing? It's up to you to call him.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown Variations

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:Texas Hold'em Goatdown:

Several people occupy a table, each is handed three letters that they keep hidden from the other players. Bets are placed. Then four letters are laid out on the table. Bets are placed again. Then the eighth and ninth letters are laid out, with betting taking place after each. Those still in the pot then declare their words. The person with the longest word wins.
This game has been invented at least twice before (by my dad and also by Gary Male), which suggests to me that it's quite a good idea. Maybe it should be tried at a future Colin.

My submission to this list is Maxmaker, in which contestants see the letters for only (say) 3 seconds, and must then guess the length of the max. The highest guess which is not higher than the correct max is the winner (somewhat like The Price Is Right, which I can only assume is a good thing.)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:

This game has been invented at least twice before (by my dad and also by Gary Male), which suggests to me that it's quite a good idea. Maybe it should be tried at a future Colin.
It was going to be played at COLIN 07 or 08 but pulled at the last minute after I realised a full game would likely take a lot longer than the 35 minutes alloted for it. Could always give it another try though. It worked quite well on msn if memory serves.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

What about Branddown?
You have to make up a word involving two smaller words (CUNT-MASK, COW-AIDS, SON-RAPE), but it isnt allowed to be valid. Its actually not that easy to get funny ones, she's cleverer than she gets credit for.

If you accidentally declare a word that is actually valid (LAMEBRAIN) then you lose the game.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matthew Green wrote:If you accidentally declare a word that is actually valid (LAMEBRAIN) then you lose the game.
I just lost the game.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:My submission to this list is Maxmaker, in which contestants see the letters for only (say) 3 seconds, and must then guess the length of the max. The highest guess which is not higher than the correct max is the winner (somewhat like The Price Is Right, which I can only assume is a good thing.)
Good call. Often I see a letters selection and think "I know there's a nine in there" even if I don't know what it is exactly. This would be a pretty fun quick fire game.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

It was going to be played at COLIN 07 or 08 but pulled at the last minute after I realised a full game would likely take a lot longer than the 35 minutes alloted for it. Could always give it another try though. It worked quite well on msn if memory serves.
It's just a nightmare to host on MSN. Separate chat windows for all the players to send out hole cards, having to keep a running total of everyone's chips, getting people to act in turn, etc. Real life would be much quicker and easier to run. But the game did run surprisingly well; it was almost a shame that (I think) David O'Donnell needed the nurse calling for him, thus ending the game. http://www.countdownwiki.com/Countdown_Holdem
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gary Male wrote:It's just a nightmare to host on MSN. Separate chat windows for all the players to send out hole cards, having to keep a running total of everyone's chips, getting people to act in turn, etc. Real life would be much quicker and easier to run. But the game did run surprisingly well; it was almost a shame that (I think) David O'Donnell needed the nurse calling for him, thus ending the game. http://www.countdownwiki.com/Countdown_Holdem
If memory serves correctly David O'Donnell actually needed the nurse calling for him before the game even started. ;)