Annie Humphries and Graham Hill

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Annie Humphries and Graham Hill

Post by Jason Larsen »

As some of you probably know, Cindy Stowell, a US Jeopardy champion, who ended her run today qualified for the Tournament of Champions, will not be able to appear. This is because she had cancer and passed away.

Most recently though, Annie Humphries qualified for the quarter finals of Countdown this year but she was unable to make it to the studio following her run. However, nobody knows why.

I understand why Alex Horne couldn't come back (he is a professional comedian,) but the same thing happened to Graham Hill.

Why do these things happen sometimes?
Heather Styles
Rookie

Re: Annie Humphries and Graham Hill

Post by Heather Styles »

Presumably Annie and Graham, and whoever they've told, know why. There could be any number of reasons. I really don't think it's any of our business.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Graham had booked a holiday with his grandchildren over the finals filming dates. Source: the recap of this classic game (and a few other places on the forum, I believe Tom Barnes mentioned it which is how it got out)
cheers maus
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

It's certainly interesting that Annie has been allowed to compete in the Series 76 finals. I think it could be partially down to Annie being an octochamp, and in all respect to other withdrawals, probably the first serious contender to have to decline an invitation.

Also, according to Countdown Audience emails, The finals were initially meant to be on a different date (straddled over the 12th and 24th of October), so Annie might have made herself available for the 24th thinking it was the only day she would be needed and was unable to rearrange days.

Sadly sometimes, real life gets in the way of things. Michael Chadwick had to decline an invitation because he was in Singapore (which I'm assuming was workbased)
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, Annie is now eligible for the Series 76 finals! Good on the Countdown crew!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I got Damon Hill's autobiography for Christmas. (Damon being the son of Graham, of course.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Really? The race car driver?

Merry Christmas Toby!
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Jason Larsen wrote:So, Annie is now eligible for the Series 76 finals! Good on the Countdown crew!
Recent article about Annie http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1499293 ... her_Annie/

No further details really about her absence from the S75 finals (which is, of course, not really any of our businesses), but sounds like she is in good health which is the main thing :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Uh-oh Martin!

Could this mean she went out of remission and came back in again?
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Jason Larsen wrote:Uh-oh Martin!

Could this mean she went out of remission and came back in again?
There is nothing to suggest her absence was due to ill health, and (as has been said many times in this thread) it is none of our business.

Can I suggest this thread is now "locked" (if such thing is possible on here?) by a moderator?