Series 4 Champion Brian Hudson

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mark Mills
Rookie

Series 4 Champion Brian Hudson

Post by Mark Mills »

Thought might be worth a mention, mine and Traceys son ben who is our youngest son was playing Crown Green Bowls against Poynton Sports in Stockport and my son mentioned to his opponent Brian Hudson his mum had been on TV on Countdown, to which he replied I was 4th Series Champion, he also mentioned he has not watched the show for ages now, (Small World) anyone else know and earlier Series champs.
Married to Tracey Mills but please don't be put off. :D
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Re: Series 4 Champion Brian Hudson

Post by Mark Murray »

Quite a few turn up at scrabble tournament Steve Balment series 12 is the earliest series champ I have met
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Mark Murray wrote:Quite a few turn up at scrabble tournament Steve Balment series 12 is the earliest series champ I have met
I remember Richard Priest mentioning that Stephen Balment was at the same audition for series 12 contestants.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

Not a series winner, but I play at the same scrabble club as series 22 quarter finalist and 7 time winner Anne Lyng.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Didn't Stewart Gordon once throw a ball into the face of series 1 champion Joyce Cansfield? This is the rumour I heard.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I had also heard that Joyce Cansfield once had Stewart Gordon's balls bouncing off her face.

It's annoying when you bump into a hot girl you haven't seen for ages in the supermarket, and in amongst general chat to impress her you drop in that you're a Countdown semi-finalist and instead of being all impressed she's like "oh yeah, I know a guy at work who was a finalist". I think it might have been Brett Smitheram, the twat.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:It's annoying when you bump into a hot girl you haven't seen for ages in the supermarket, and in amongst general chat to impress her you drop in that you're a Countdown semi-finalist and instead of being all impressed she's like "oh yeah, I know a guy at work who was a finalist". I think it might have been Brett Smitheram, the twat.
It's far more annoying when you bump into a hot girl you've been stalking for ages in the supermarket several hundred miles from your house, and she's all like "will you fucking leave me alone, you mad bastard" and "help! help! anyone please!" and you have to hit her with a bottle of wine to shut her up, and then the police are all like "uuugh", and the psychiatrists are all "ooooh" and I'm like "what? no way" and that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:I had also heard that Joyce Cansfield once had Stewart Gordon's balls bouncing off her face.

It's annoying when you bump into a hot girl you haven't seen for ages in the supermarket, and in amongst general chat to impress her you drop in that you're a Countdown semi-finalist and instead of being all impressed she's like "oh yeah, I know a guy at work who was a finalist". I think it might have been Brett Smitheram, the twat.
Yeah, he was a "finalist" in the new weird meaning where getting to the quarter finals makes you a finalist. I hope you pointed this out. Oh you mean the hot girl was Brett Smitheram? Yeah, that's a bit weird.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I once met series 13 semi finalist Nita Marr at a Countdown Club event in Edinburgh in 2005.
I'm not sure if that particular club still exists, but Nita ran it for a few years and it was well known in the Countdown world at the time. I think they used to have trips to the studio back in the Leeds recording days.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Anthony Endsor wrote:I once met series 13 semi finalist Nita Marr at a Countdown Club event in Edinburgh in 2005.
I'm not sure if that particular club still exists, but Nita ran it for a few years and it was well known in the Countdown world at the time. I think they used to have trips to the studio back in the Leeds recording days.
As far as I know the Edinburgh Countdown Club is still running and if I remember rightly there was one in Bristol though I don't think that exists anymore. They did used to do trips back to Leeds studios and the club itself I thought was really good. Providing its still running I should really go back to visit sometime.

To add my part, my mate's brother is good friends with Kirk Bevins through playing darts I think and I also remember speaking to a contestant called Gary Woodward who was a series semi-finalist back in 1999 tell me his old headteacher was a series finalist.... he was beaten by Harvey Freeman!
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Tom wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:I once met series 13 semi finalist Nita Marr at a Countdown Club event in Edinburgh in 2005.
As far as I know the Edinburgh Countdown Club is still running and if I remember rightly there was one in Bristol though I don't think that exists anymore. They did used to do trips back to Leeds studios and the club itself I thought was really good. Providing its still running I should really go back to visit sometime.
I think the Bristol club stopped running a few years ago when the founder, Rex Clegg, passed away. The Edinburgh club is indeed still running though, and I'm sure they'd be pleased to see you.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Innis Carson wrote:
Tom wrote:
I think the Bristol club stopped running a few years ago when the founder, Rex Clegg, passed away. The Edinburgh club is indeed still running though, and I'm sure they'd be pleased to see you.
The Edinburgh club also hosted three very fun co-events in the last three Novembers. Pity it's no longer on the calendar, but good to hear that the club itself is still going.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

The Edinburgh club also hosted three very fun co-events in the last three Novembers. Pity it's no longer on the calendar, but good to hear that the club itself is still going.[/quote]

Yes I heard they had a couple of CO-events there but apparently it got shelved as from memory the regular members weren't a massive fan of the events and maybe thought having the regular Apterous players there kind of detracted from the fun. Shame really as I'd have thought combining the two would have worked well and having just one event like that a year wouldn't have caused much harm at all.

Definitely be keen to visit sometime. Ben if you have (or if anyone else has) an email for Nita Marr please can you message it to me? I've loosely talked with a couple of players who were on at the same time as me about getting a reunion sorted and maybe having it in Edinburgh and visiting the club at the same time might be a good idea!
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Yeah, he was a "finalist" in the new weird meaning where getting to the quarter finals makes you a finalist.
Shit. I'm going to hang around the same supermarket waiting for her to come back now so I can point this out.

She's changed supermarkets, hasn't she? :(

Edit: Also lol@Jim :D
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:
Mark Murray wrote:Quite a few turn up at scrabble tournament Steve Balment series 12 is the earliest series champ I have met
I remember Richard Priest mentioning that Stephen Balment was at the same audition for series 12 contestants.
Yeah that's right, he was sat right next to me when I first auditioned (unsuccessfully) back in '86 in Birmingham. I remember him sitting there getting pretty much every conundrum there was and then he went on the show and became series 12 champ.