Funniest episode of Countdown, ever

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kirk Bevins
God

Funniest episode of Countdown, ever

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Well it's probably not that funny but when I watched it all last night it was hilarious. I love the challenger's accent and her answering 4 when there are LOADS of long words (including a 5 by sticking an S on it). Also failing to get 2 of the numbers when both were really easy. Needless to say this was Hazel Wheeler, famed for getting the lowest score in the 15 round format (13 points!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jZys1nbmvU

Anyone else got a funny episode (there's been a few funny clips including Aaron Webber's "minges" incident)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rsUvz7g6o
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Funniest episode of Countdown, ever

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I remember Hazel Wheeler, but I can't say what I thought in case she visits this forum!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I remember Hazel Wheeler, but I can't say what I thought in case she visits this forum!
Go on, admit it, you fancied her.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I remember Hazel Wheeler, but I can't say what I thought in case she visits this forum!
Go on, admit it, you fancied her.
Fuck right off!!!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Mikey vs Rory Miller was pretty funny and I think it was on youtube at one point.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

The funniest was the one that didn,t go out on air when Richard was wound up by Noel Edmonds for his Gotcha.He was told that the current champion could not make it . That enabled them to put two ringers in to cause chaos for the whole of the show.Richard was really bemused but never twigged what was going on even when the conundrum came up as HOGCAT.My favorite funny moment that did go out was when Richard told the Amsterdam cat joke.He couldn,t stop laughing and had tears rolling down his cheeks.And after finally managing to tell it he remarked "it wasn,t all that funny"which set everone laughing again.
Its shown again in the Tribute to Richard Whitely which was televised along side his final show.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:Mikey vs Rory Miller was pretty funny and I think it was on youtube at one point.
I enjoyed it at the time but it Rory ruined it with his "blog entry" about it afterwards :x
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The funniest episode ever was Pete Cashmore vs. Dag Griffiths in the special match that replayed their final. Anyone who has that episode, PLEASE find a way to share it as it was fan-bloody-tastic.
dan j

Post by dan j »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0TcyYZcJKE

haha, look at the little kid jumping.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:Mikey vs Rory Miller was pretty funny and I think it was on youtube at one point.
I enjoyed it at the time but it Rory ruined it with his "blog entry" about it afterwards :x

Hmmm, i think this is my most loathed edition of the show ever. It was 40 minutes of complete immaturity.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Ben Wilson wrote:The funniest episode ever was Pete Cashmore vs. Dag Griffiths in the special match that replayed their final. Anyone who has that episode, PLEASE find a way to share it as it was fan-bloody-tastic.
My 2nd most loathed edition of the show ever. Weird how people see things so differently.

Think Pete tried too hard to be funny and ended up being irritating, IMHO of course.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:Think Pete tried too hard to be funny and ended up being irritating, IMHO of course.
*takes note* :?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby wrote:
Damian E wrote:Think Pete tried too hard to be funny and ended up being irritating, IMHO of course.
*takes note* :?

Hehe - you're ALWAYS irritating Corby. :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lawrence Pearse strikes me as one of the most interesting contestants Countdown has ever had!
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Nobody beats WIll D Downing and nobody ever will.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ugh, I've just read it again on Mike's Countdown Page. What a wanker.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Ugh, I've just read it again on Mike's Countdown Page. What a wanker.
Yeah, I think when I first read it (on the forum before it got deleted) I just thought that no-one would be that twattish, and it must be a cleverly-crafted troll. How wrong I was! If you want to subject yourself to the ravings of someone considerably less funny than he thinks he is (I particularly liked the comparison to Spike Milligan), you can read it here.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I love the challenger's accent and her answering 4 when there are LOADS of long words (including a 5 by sticking an S on it).
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

She was a lovely lady who took the defeat extremely well. She had some experience of a disappointing TV experience having also been voted off first on The Weakest Link.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Imagine how bad she might have been if she'd met us all in the bar the night before as planned...
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Gosh, how funny to find myself so lambasted here! It's a weird old thing, this internet malarkey...

I actually just watched the show again a couple of days ago - via the wonder of youtube - and really enjoyed it. Was with a bunch of friends who also really enjoyed it and we had some nice giggles; I guess different people really do like different things. I've at other times found it embarrassing and cringeworthy and regretful but, at the end of my life, I don't suppose it'll really matter.

Apologies, though, Mr Eadie (sp?), as I guess that wasn't your favourite day at work.

Mikey and I are actually still friends, and I'm seeing him tonight for a curry. I also met my girlfriend of the past year or so there (she was there supporting Mikey) so it's not all bad.

Immature? Sure. But a wanker? Hm, can't say anyone I've ever met and spent time with has described me so - but who knows, Mr Corby, you might be right...

Cheers!
Rory
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

rubsley wrote:Immature? Sure. But a wanker? Hm, can't say anyone I've ever met and spent time with has described me so - but who knows, Mr Corby, you might be right...
Like I just said to you in response to the private message you sent me, my assessment was based almost entirely on your write-up; as I said up there ^ ^ the show itself wasn't that bad. I've just read it again, and I stand by it. Sorry!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi!

You must be Rory Miller!

I remember you from quite a while ago! Of you and Mikey, I think you are the more reserved of both of you. I didn't notice anything strange about you when I saw your episode of Countdown online.

I haven't forgotten that if you haven't already, you will appear on "The Weakest Link!" If you have already, how was your day that day?

I believe the last time I heard of you, you were on the old Yahoo group and now you found us here!

Nice to see you again!
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Oh yes, I'm definitely the most reserved. And he is by far the funnier. And, incidentally, indisputably better at Countdown, despite my thinking I might have taken him on a better day - he's beaten me 80% of our games on facebook; Boggle, Scrabble and the wonderful Word Challenge are more my thing (9 letters is just too much for my poor little brain).

Still haven't heard from The Weakest Link but did get an okay from the audition so hopefully sometime soon; they said it might take up to two years. And will be on Going For Gold in the very near future, and maybe a few others in the pipeline (got the bug again).

Good to hear from someone who doesn't hate me! lol

Cheers!
Rory
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Rory Miller!

Good luck with your game show appearances!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

rubsley wrote:Good to hear from someone who doesn't hate me! lol
Don't worry about it, this is the forum where a lad who jokingly declares a number that's roughly 300 away from the target gets labeled 'a cock' for not taking the institution seriously enough.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Don't worry about it, this is the forum where a lad who jokingly declares a number that's roughly 300 away from the target gets labeled 'a cock' for not taking the institution seriously enough.
Ha! That's brilliant! Who was that? I think it passed me by... or, just as likely, I'm having a brief memory failure.

I also enjoyed your game Rory, if anything I hoped it might be even more outrageous from what I'd read here before watching it! But great stuff though.
If it means much to you, it sounds to me like people were a lot more bothered by your subsequent blog about it than by the actual episode.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

We still like you, Rory!
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Nice one. So I suppose I find this all rather funny; I guess some Countdowners are a bit precious, eh?

But, thing was, I went back and had a look at my original blog entry (it was originally written for my myspace blog) - fully expecting to find parts of it regretful - and I couldn't honestly see anything in there that I thought would bother someone. Interesting. So, to enlighten me, can the Rory-haters let me know what was so bad about it? Perhaps using specific references and going beyond expletives and insults?

Cheers!
Rory
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Matt Morrison wrote:
I also enjoyed your game Rory, if anything I hoped it might be even more outrageous from what I'd read here before watching it!
Good point - any chance of Damian letting us have a copy of the unedited version? lol
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

rubsley wrote:So, to enlighten me, can the Rory-haters let me know what was so bad about it? Perhaps using specific references and going beyond expletives and insults?
I think you're just loving being talked about, so no.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Charlie Reams wrote:
rubsley wrote:So, to enlighten me, can the Rory-haters let me know what was so bad about it? Perhaps using specific references and going beyond expletives and insults?
I think you're just loving being talked about, so no.
Spot on Charlie. Rory, I think I'm playing right into your hands by replying to this thread, but it's clear that one of your main goals in life is to use your one distinctly average Countdown appearance to provoke as much reaction as possible. I'd gladly oblige by insulting you, discussing your episode/blog etc...but frankly I have better things to do. Actually, thinking about it, I don't. But I do find you way too boring to contribute any more to this thread.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Rory, you lost but you were still a good sport! I appreciate that!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Spot on Charlie. Rory, I think I'm playing right into your hands by replying to this thread, but it's clear that one of your main goals in life is to use your one distinctly average Countdown appearance to provoke as much reaction as possible. I'd gladly oblige by insulting you, discussing your episode/blog etc...but frankly I have better things to do. Actually, thinking about it, I don't. But I do find you way too boring to contribute any more to this thread.
Recently I think the balance between forumers and "forum police" has tipped a bit too far in favour of the latter.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ben Hunter wrote:
There's nothing wrong with declaring 300 away.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Recently I think the balance between forumers and "forum police" has tipped a bit too far in favour of the latter.
There is very little policing of this place. I can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so I can knock them down. What else would you have me do?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Recently I think the balance between forumers and "forum police" has tipped a bit too far in favour of the latter.
There is very little policing of this place. I can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so I can knock them down. What else would you have me do?
I'm not talking about literal policing. But what I find more tiresome is when someone posts something (that may be rubbish or may not) and someone criticises it, there then seems to be a whole barrage of people (the "forum police") that can't wait to join in and say exactly the same thing.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I'm not talking about literal policing. But what I find more tiresome is when someone posts something (that may be rubbish or may not) and someone criticises it, there then seems to be a whole barrage of people (the "forum police") that can't wait to join in and say exactly the same thing.
There is very little policing of this place. Charlie can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so he can knock them down. What else would you have him do?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:There is very little policing of this place. Charlie can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so he can knock them down. What else would you have him do?
Very good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I'm not talking about literal policing. But what I find more tiresome is when someone posts something (that may be rubbish or may not) and someone criticises it, there then seems to be a whole barrage of people (the "forum police") that can't wait to join in and say exactly the same thing.
This is such a dumb post.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: I'm not talking about literal policing. But what I find more tiresome is when someone posts something (that may be rubbish or may not) and someone criticises it, there then seems to be a whole barrage of people (the "forum police") that can't wait to join in and say exactly the same thing.
Me too.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Me too.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:There is very little policing of this place. I can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so I can knock them down. What else would you have me do?
There is very little policing of this place. Charlie can't help it that some people keep piping up with their dumb opinions so he can knock them down. What else would you have him do?
Jon, ROFLMAO!!! :lol: Crackin' post Gromit! :D

Not taking sides BTW, or trying to be in with the 'in crowd' as I've found it a wee bit abrasive in here at times, but nothing compared to the times I've found it hysterical! And I LOVE Carol and Richard, but am finding Rachel and Jeff settling with me a lot sooner than I thought they would.
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Jeez, you ask a simple question and look what happens...

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star/what you say is what you are..."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Why did you edit that last post Rory? It had a 3 point plan for us, one of which was that we shouldn't post in this thread if we didn't like you... ? Get over yourself mate.

I'll summarise for you anyway: (and this is just my opinion of course)

Nothing you did was particularly funny. It ranged from being unnoticeable (omg lols I got within 1 on the numbers and didn't add the 1 on!!!) to pathetic (hee hee I giggled while picking letters, or said consonant when I needed to say vowel) to simply not-as-funny-as-you-thought-it-was (I looked Des right in the eye and said "I got stoned"!!! - wow) to just - er..what? (I got about 3 letters in and said "I suppose I should be writing these down" - no, you don't have to write anything down, it's entirely up to you.) Your Milligan-esque "pinnacle" (to use your own words) was saying you had a 3, when actually you had a 6, and then saying it wasn't a word. AWESOME DUDE.

For you then to gush about these incidents in your blog like you've done something amazing and groundbreaking that will be remembered forever, or profound ("some rather amusing and ironic metaphors for life too") is just twattish. Your "I'm so amazing and cool" writing style irks me too.

As for being all indignant and precious about being insulted (you edited this bit from your last post though), what do you think "thousands of pretty much nameless, faceless - let's face it, bland - contestants" is?

As I said, just my opinion. I'm not really interested in discussing this, or you, any further. You contacted me in private where I pretty much said all of this (feel free to post that conversation in public, I dunno why you took it up with me privately to then start it again here) but you still sought further clarification. I hope this covers it for you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Why did you edit that last post Rory? It had a 3 point plan for us, one of which was that we shouldn't post in this thread if we didn't like you... ? Get over yourself mate.

I'll summarise for you anyway: (and this is just my opinion of course)

Nothing you did was particularly funny. It ranged from being unnoticeable (omg lols I got within 1 on the numbers and didn't add the 1 on!!!) to pathetic (hee hee I giggled while picking letters, or said consonant when I needed to say vowel) to simply not-as-funny-as-you-thought-it-was (I looked Des right in the eye and said "I got stoned"!!! - wow) to just - er..what? (I got about 3 letters in and said "I suppose I should be writing these down" - no, you don't have to write anything down, it's entirely up to you.) Your Milligan-esque "pinnacle" (to use your own words) was saying you had a 3, when actually you had a 6, and then saying it wasn't a word. AWESOME DUDE.

For you then to gush about these incidents in your blog like you've done something amazing and groundbreaking that will be remembered forever, or profound ("some rather amusing and ironic metaphors for life too") is just twattish. Your "I'm so amazing and cool" writing style irks me too.

As for being all indignant and precious about being insulted (you edited this bit from your last post though), what do you think "thousands of pretty much nameless, faceless - let's face it, bland - contestants" is?

As I said, just my opinion. I'm not really interested in discussing this, or you, any further. You contacted me in private where I pretty much said all of this (feel free to post that conversation in public, I dunno why you took it up with me privately to then start it again here) but you still sought further clarification. I hope this covers it for you.
Then again, some of the posts make a good read, but you still get tiresome ones (in case you think I'm backtracking - never!!!).
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

You seem like quite an unpleasant person, Jon. Charlie, also.

Thanks for taking the time to point out what you didn't like; it helps me to understand a few things.

Cheers!
Rory

PS Just to clarify: that was my 'blog' entry; I've written a blog for over ten years and that's what I do in it, just write about my experiences in life and what I think. Some people like it and some people don't; c'est la vie. I wrote a book too. No doubt you'd hate most of that. lol
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

rubsley wrote:You seem like quite an unpleasant person, Jon. Charlie, also.
If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

rubsley wrote:You seem like quite an unpleasant person, Jon.
Waah, waah. "So, to enlighten me, can you let me know why? Perhaps using specific references and going beyond insults?"
rubsley wrote:Some people like it and some people don't; c'est la vie.
Excellent philosophy.

Clearly not one you subscribe to though.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Rory, why did you talk about Damian?
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Jason Larsen wrote:Rory, why did you talk about Damian?
When?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

A week ago.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Both are extremely nice and decent people. Jon really does not live up to the bad-boy persona he portrays on this forum: actually, and I know this sounds mega-gay (though not as gay when I tried to rape him in the gents) ... he struck me as quite a sensitive person.

You have incurred the wrath of this forum, Rory, because you sought to explain a rather shit performance on Countdown as some subversive coup that seems to have been formulated as an after-the-fact excuse for shittiness. Richard Brittain did something similar to you but without the pretentious post-match explanation: he had warned us beforehand that if it became clear that Jon was going to win he was just going to make up stuff. I reckon, from a garbled conversation with Mikey Lear, that you are probably a likeable fella but is your ego so insecure that you cannot finally admit that you just fucked up? There's nothing wrong with being a failure: I am certainly none the worse for it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
:D Does that apply to everyone?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Hmmm. Blog posts do tend to be very personal, as much for the writer as for the reader, and anyone who blogs is bound to blog an experience like Countdown.

I've just read the entry and it seems to be me like he's mostly saying "oh dear, I made a bit of a twat of myself, and the weird thing was, I just didn't care. Here are some examples of how I mucked up."

For people to then describe him as a wanker on the basis of that... well, of course he's going to get defensive. Of course he'll want to stick up for himself and seek reassurance. And then, as with all internet disputes, the insults start to fly, everyone gets defensive, more entrenched in their positions... etc.

Seems like a storm in a teacup to me.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Hmmm. Blog posts do tend to be very personal, as much for the writer as for the reader, and anyone who blogs is bound to blog an experience like Countdown.

I've just read the entry and it seems to be me like he's mostly saying "oh dear, I made a bit of a twat of myself, and the weird thing was, I just didn't care. Here are some examples of how I mucked up."

For people to then describe him as a wanker on the basis of that... well, of course he's going to get defensive. Of course he'll want to stick up for himself and seek reassurance. And then, as with all internet disputes, the insults start to fly, everyone gets defensive, more entrenched in their positions... etc.

I think that with certain people on here, once any sort of "dispute" starts, they are more happy put the boot in as much as possible than come to any sort of resolution. I think that as they are both intelligent and arrogant, they are confident that it's unlikely the other person will get the better of them, so they don't really care, and try and trip the other person up on their own words. I hesitate to use the word "cunt" - maybe "git".
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Getting back on topic, Hazel actually got her 13 points on two maxes; the former record holder Judy Smedley did a zero maximum game but she was playing an average player, so she still managed to get 18 points.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
rubsley

Post by rubsley »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Hmmm. Blog posts do tend to be very personal, as much for the writer as for the reader, and anyone who blogs is bound to blog an experience like Countdown.

Someone understands! I think you summed it up perfectly. :-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

rubsley wrote:

A marriage of minds.

I hope I'm invited to the wedding.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
rubsley wrote:

I agree.

I'd like to marry you.
So kind Jon, thank you. :twisted: