Tickets for the finals

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
mark b davies
Rookie

Tickets for the finals

Post by mark b davies »

I got my letter inviting me to the finals yesterday. In it there was a bit that said I could apply for up to 4 audience tickets which I did straight away by email. Found out today that they are all already gone.
How is that fair? You'd think they would put at least 2 aside per finalist. That would only be 16 out of a couple of hundred. I've now got a few pi**ed off friends who wanted to come and cheer me on.
Has anyone else had this or am I just being naive as I'm new to the countdown community.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Tickets for the finals

Post by Mark Deeks »

This certainly isn't the first time. If that's any comfort.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I asked if there were any left today, and they said they were all gone at least 3 weeks ago. If previous end of year finals are anything, it'll always be like this............ :roll:
mark b davies
Rookie

Post by mark b davies »

I take it you had the same thing then Mark?

James I'll mention it to Damian when I'm there. Maybe they can change it for future finals.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

or do I

find out on 23rd october channel 4 3:10 pm bring friends
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I agree that contestants should have at least one or two seats for family/friends.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Speak to Damian, but I'd say it's likely you can bring a couple of people along and then if spaces open up in the audience they can sit there, otherwise they can hang out in the Green Room and watch from there.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yes, for some reason this seems to be the norm now. Each finalist is allowed to bring one guest, though.

As I understand it, the studio is booked weeks in advance, then the audience tickets get offered up for the taking for those recording dates, then a few weeks later the finalists are told the recording dates, by which time all the tickets have gone. The same thing happened with series 69 - I went there for the final day, and quite a few of us had tickets for the last two QFs, but tickets for the semis and the final were nowhere to be seen. However, we got in to see that second session anyway, because there are always some people who don't show up. Standard procedure if you're ticketless for a recording session is to hang around outside, wait until the ticketed audience members have gone in, and then ask if you can watch too. Normally they'll say you have to wait until such and such time to give the no-shows with tickets a chance to turn up, but they rarely do. On every occasion I've done this (by which I mean, both occasions) I've got in, as did everyone else waiting outside.

If Countdown Team is reading this: I'm not suggesting that some people should be given any kind of priority over others for audience tickets - all the spectators have the same right to be there - but would it not be a fairer system to tell the finalists what dates their finals are being recorded at the same time as the audience tickets for those dates are offered out? At least then everyone's got the same chance. As it is, finalists' friends and family, who would surely be the most likely to turn up and not waste the ticket if they get one, are put at a huge disadvantage compared to those who are on the audience mailing list. Or is it that at the time the studio is booked and the audience tickets are released, you don't yet know for sure that's when the finals will be?
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I have to say Graeme, I think you're quite right. It would be fairer if the finalists got at least the same chance as everyone else at getting tickets.

All I can suggest at the moment is, if you are on a particular series and you think you might make the finals, join the mailing list for tickets. It's free to join and you'll get to know all the recording dates. The finals are usually recorded in May and November, and are often marked on the email with the dates on so you'll know to get in quick and grab the tickets you need. Then if you later don't require them, just let the audience team know and they'll cascade them to people on the waiting list. You do have to be quick, particularly for the final day.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think they'll be televising the final, so it's not all bad.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Graeme Cole wrote:...Or is it that at the time the studio is booked and the audience tickets are released, you don't yet know for sure that's when the finals will be?
I'm sure they know exactly when the finals will be be recorded.

It's surely not that difficult to hold a maximum of 32 tickets back until the finalists are known and have specified how many they require.