History repeats itself

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

History repeats itself

Post by Charlie Reams »

Following in the footsteps of previous Scrabbler-turned-Countdown-champ Stewart Holden, the undefeated series champion Craig Beevers has pulled out of Championship of Champions. I think it's fair to say that the man they call "Shaved" was hotly tipped to win the contest, and is regarded by some as the greatest player in history, but his record will now remain forever at 11 wins from 11; I can only speculate that his recent success in the Scrabble has drawn him away from the world of Countdown. Shame. But for the rest of us... game on!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: History repeats itself

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

zomg as if! Who in the right mind turns down a C of C invite!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

To be fair he has snagged a place at the world scrabble championships, which will rightly require his full attention, but on the other wise of the coin, the worlds aren't until NEXT FRIGGING NOVEMBER. Three days out in ODE-land isn't going to hurt.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Charlie Reams wrote:Following in the footsteps of previous Scrabbler-turned-Countdown-champ Stewart Holden, the undefeated series champion Craig Beevers has pulled out of Championship of Champions. I think it's fair to say that the man they call "Shaved" was hotly tipped to win the contest, and is regarded by some as the greatest player in history, but his record will now remain forever at 11 wins from 11; I can only speculate that his recent success in the Scrabble has drawn him away from the world of Countdown. Shame. But for the rest of us... game on!

All 16 players are now confirmed and the pairings have been made.

No, i'm not telling you..........
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Following in the footsteps of previous Scrabbler-turned-Countdown-champ Stewart Holden, the undefeated series champion Craig Beevers has pulled out of Championship of Champions. I think it's fair to say that the man they call "Shaved" was hotly tipped to win the contest, and is regarded by some as the greatest player in history, but his record will now remain forever at 11 wins from 11; I can only speculate that his recent success in the Scrabble has drawn him away from the world of Countdown. Shame. But for the rest of us... game on!
That's a pity, a real pity. I was happy to be playing in Craig's shadow and treat the CoC like a holiday. Of course, I suppose it puts a little pressure on all of us to deliver but I know many players are practising away (like Briers and Wainright on Apterous!) so I hope we can have a CoC worthy of the last rather excellent CoC.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Well, at least we can rule him out of any future 'greatest player ever' discussions.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I'm sure the C of C will be fine without me. Hope it's a good 'un and I'll look forward to watching it next year.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Very disappointing. This is more of a disapointment than Stewart Holden, as Stewart would have gone in as one of the favourites but not the outright favourite. Craig Beevers on the other hand would have been outright favourite for this one (unless there's someone else this series that turns up in episodes yet to air), and may well have put the greatest ever question to bed in many people's eyes. What's your reasoning Craig?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yes, a huge disappointment. It's always been obvious that Countdown wasn't Craig's priority (which makes it even more remarkable that he produced the phenomenal standards he did), but this is still a shock. It's like Federer & Nadal both pulling out of Wimbledon :( .

I know I've said it before, but Craig is the best Countdowner ever in my view... obviously this CofC will still feature some fantastic players and contests but I suppose people will always be wondering what might have been now...
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Massive disappointent. We've had hundreds of audience members return their tickets to us already. :roll:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Damian E wrote:Massive disappointent. We've had hundreds of audience members return their tickets to us already. :roll:
Holy hollow sentiments, Batman, my sarcasm-o-meter is going off the chart.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Sorry David,

I wasn't being rude about Craig there, its just Julian Fell's tendency to completely over-exaggerate is becoming quite comical now.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Damian E wrote:Sorry David,

I wasn't being rude about Craig there, its just Julian Fell's tendency to completely over-exaggerate is becoming quite comical now.
:) Fair enough.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Craig Beevers wrote:I'm sure the C of C will be fine without me. Hope it's a good 'un and I'll look forward to watching it next year.
Sorry to read this, Craig. :(
What could possibly be more important than Countdown?? :mrgreen:
Damian: does this mean that Craig would not be invited to future C of Cs, or could he decide to join in a future one if he wanted to?
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I don't think Craig can walk into a future C of C event, it doesn't really work that way. Am not sure he would want to either to be honest. I think after this one, we'll not do any more C of C's anyway. I have a better idea lined up.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Damian E wrote:I don't think Craig can walk into a future C of C event, it doesn't really work that way. Am not sure he would want to either to be honest. I think after this one, we'll not do any more C of C's anyway. I have a better idea lined up.
Am I being presumptuous in thinking 'SC2'? :) Answer: yes. I'd be interested to know just what this idea is, though.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Damian E wrote:I don't think Craig can walk into a future C of C event, it doesn't really work that way. Am not sure he would want to either to be honest. I think after this one, we'll not do any more C of C's anyway. I have a better idea lined up.
Oohhh spill - CofC is always exciting so I hope it's of a similar playing quality and champions are invited back to prove their worth.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I reckon we could be seeing the first ever game of GOATDOWN broadcast on TV.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:I reckon we could be seeing the first ever game of GOATDOWN broadcast on TV.
That would be so sweet, I had to change my pants four times just thinking about it.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:I reckon we could be seeing the first ever game of GOATDOWN broadcast on TV.
That would be so sweet, I had to change my pants four times just thinking about it.
:D
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Goatdown is far superior to Countdown. Just scrap it all and start over, Jonathan Ross as host and Russell Brand in dictionary corner, the budget would be low.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yes yes yes! You've got it! That will separate the champs from the mice.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Yes yes yes! You've got it! That will separate the champs from the mice.
Surely you mean the wheat from the boys?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Surely you mean the wheat from the boys?
No I mean the grain from the bullocks.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

No more C of C's?? wouldn't be too fond of SC2, should have something like a decade tournament.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Tom wrote:No more C of C's?? wouldn't be too fond of SC2, should have something like a decade tournament.
Sorry for sounding dumb but what is SC2?

Edit: With a lot of logic I have deduced it's Supreme Championship 2 - out now on the playstation 3.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Am I being presumptuous in thinking 'SC2'? :) Answer: yes. I'd be interested to know just what this idea is, though.
That doesn't fit. A second supreme couldn't replace all future CofCs.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:Sorry David,

I think he's right here though. For those that follow the "greats" and want to see them against each other, this is a blow.