Peter Lee

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Peter Lee

Post by Countdown Team »

Sad news this morning on the passing of former Countdown champion Peter Lee.
Peter was one of our most popular contestants and a thoroughly lovely man.
I'm sure many of you will have come across him during your times with the show and will join us in offering condolences to his family.
Thanks.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Re: Peter Lee

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Great guy on and off screen (I fondly remember him sacking off a nice meal in Manchester with his wife so he could hang out with a group of us at Spoons after his special was recorded) and a silver fox to boot. Really sad news.

RIP Peter and condolences to the Lee family.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Sad news indeed, and condolences to Peter's family. I played Peter on apterous many times and saw his TV appearances - including his classic special against Dave Taylor - although sadly I never got to meet him. A superb player and a great gentleman, he'll be much missed.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Very sad news, a thoroughly likeable man.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Very sad news. I played him on Apterous a few times.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Incredibly sad news. I watched a few of his games and he came across a really nice guy and someone who wouldn't hurt a fly. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet him but judging by Jen's comment, he truly was a great character. The Countdown community has lost a great man.

RIP Peter.
Sfumato soup
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Oh that's bad. Sad times.

RIP Peter. He ensouled the show.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Really shocked and saddened to hear this news. I had the pleasure of meeting Peter at the 30th Birthday Championships and he was charming, warm, kind and great craic altogether. My condolences go out to his family. RIP Peter
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Not cool. Seems far too soon.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Damn, I didn't even know he was ill. That's really sad. Thanks for letting us know.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Never met or played him on apterous. But seemed like a really nice guy on the TV. RIP Peter
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Sad news indeed.

RIP Peter. A man you don't meet everyday.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Andy Platt wrote:Damn, I didn't even know he was ill. That's really sad. Thanks for letting us know.
My thoughts almost exactly.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Very sad to hear this news. I never met him but I played Peter a lot on apterous, including one New Year from New York I remember. He came across on tv as a charming modest man with a lovely smile.
My heartfelt condolences to his family.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

My heart sank when I heard the news. :( As others have rightly said, Peter was a true gentleman and I discovered this from the moment I started playing him online, during my early days on apterous. We always had really good games and it was a real pleasure to play and talk to him.

He was just as delightful in real life, from when I saw the last game of his octorun live in the studio and congratulated him afterwards, until the series finals. I'm proud to say that I shared the screen with him for one game and between us we produced an exciting and very close match. True to his character, Peter was simply magnanimous in defeat and could only wish Jonathan Rawlinson and I the best for the final. He was also one of the first people to congratulate me after the game and I will always remember and be grateful for his generosity.

R.I.P Peter, your contribution to apterous, the show and the Countdown community as a whole will never be forgotten. My whole-hearted condolences go out to his family and he'll rightly be remembered as a very capable player and above all, a wonderful person.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Very sad to hear this news :cry: Peter was a joy to play against on apterous my thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time, on behalf of everybody from the apterous community and C4C he will be sadly missed by everybody who got to know him xxxxxxx RIP Peter.
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Crikey, I'm in complete shock. He was an absolutely brilliant man on screen, and was a brill contender on Apterous. Again, I never got to meet him either, and I can't believe such a character like him has gone. :( :cry:

RIP Peter Lee, you will be missed, my friend.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

What horrible news. I only met Peter briefly myself in 'real life', but like everyone else I found him to be a delightfully pleasant and unassuming man, and he was always a pleasure to play against on apterous too. His contribution to Countdown was truly unique - I know for a fact that he had a lot of fans amongst the members of the Edinburgh Countdown Club, and no doubt countless more throughout the nation.

RIP Peter, you'll be missed.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Very sad news. I never had the pleasure to meet Peter, but our games on Apterous were always friendly and he came across fantastically on screen. RIP.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Shocking news, it was always a pleasure to play against this courteous and very modest gentleman on Apterous.

Condolences to his family.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Very sad news. Was a top bloke when I played him last year and got me reasonably sozzled in the bar afterwards even though I had beat him. RIP Peter
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Goodness gracious me... This is awful news.

He was a truly lovely fellow and if it wasn't for him my Countdown experience wouldn't have been a touch on how it really was.

RIP Peter and I echo the condolences to his family.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Was only thinking about Peter the other day, very saddened to hear this news - Peter was a thoroughly lovely chap and it was a pleasure to know him albeit only through apterous. Thoughts go out to his family.
Matt Croy

Post by Matt Croy »

I never post on here (as you can see), but I've just learned this awful news and felt I had to express my condolences. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but I fondly remember many close and competitive games with him on Apterous and I'm shocked to hear the news that he has sadly passed away. RIP Peter and my sincere condolences to your family and friends at this difficult time.

PS. Whenever I hear the word MORGANITE, the only person I can hear saying it is Peter :)
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Just found notice in the Irish Times
http://notices.irishtimes.com/37713017-death-lee-peter
Such a shock and such a lovely man
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

I am genuinely so upset about this news. I was only thinking about Peter the other day and how he hadn't been around for a while. I thought I must send him an email and see how he is.

He really was one of the loveliest men ever. I had the pleasure of meeting him twice, and celebrating my 30th birthday with him and his wife too! I know everyone who encountered him held him in high regard.

RIP Peter, you will be missed. Condolences to his family.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I'm in total shock at hearing this news.

Peter and I were 1 episode apart when we both lost on our first appearance back in 2002. We later went on to play each other on a regular basis on Apterous before Peter got his second chance on Countdown, doing so well.

I got to meet Peter when he was recording his quarter final appearances and found him to be a thoroughly charming gentleman.

RIP Peter.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

This is a real shock to the Countdown Community.
As with everyone else, my condolences go out to his family. RIP Peter. A real Countdown legend.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I really enjoyed seeing Peter on Countdown, and remember with admiration and respect his skills as a player as well as his modest and unassuming manner. I feel for Peter's loved ones at this very sad time. May he rest in peace.
Rose Boyle

Post by Rose Boyle »

I was very sorry to hear of Peter's passing. He came across as a pure gentleman on the show and was a pleasure to watch. He did Ireland proud. May he rest in peace and condolences to his family.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Terrible news. I played him on his first appearance in 2002 and just beat him to the conundrum. He came up to me in the bar and gave me his notebook, with word lists, etc., saying, "You'll probably find this useful for the finals". What an incredibly kind gesture. Then he had to prepare another one for his second attempt...

My condolences to the family.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Very sad news: Peter was one of my favorite contestants, loved watching his games — a legend!